Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

More News On The Old People's War On Fun In Alabama...

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: More News On The Old People's War On Fun In Alabama...
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2010, 01:51:12 PM »
Ok -

1st - I dont think that objective. I think thats what you want to think. Sometimes religion is to blame, and then sometimes its an easy scapegoat.

2nd - It makes no sense. If that were the REAL reason, many other things would be outlawed. Why stop at microbreweries? No beer at ALL, no cigarettes, no rubbers, no birth control pills.

3rd - If they actually used that as a reason, that would be technically ILLEGAL.

What are the reasons they are saying in opposition?
Everything you just stated is why it's so goddamn frustrating.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2010, 01:52:29 PM »
Ok -

1st - I dont think thats objective. I think thats what you want to think out of anger over the issue. Sometimes religion is to blame, and then sometimes its an easy scapegoat.

2nd - It makes no sense. If that were the REAL reason, many other things would be outlawed. Why stop at microbreweries? No beer at ALL, no cigarettes, no rubbers, no birth control pills.

3rd - If they actually used that as a reason, that would be technically ILLEGAL.

What are the reasons they are saying in opposition?
See Ten Commandments statue in the Alabama Supreme Court building.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2010, 01:55:10 PM »
It's sad to me that this state is ok with being so bass ackwards and letting their economy tank at the expensive of completely irrational nanny-state laws.

I live and work here. My family lives here. All of my friends live here. The University I attended and love enough to post on a message board about daily is here. I love Alabama. I loathe its politics and its ineptitude. I would like to one day see the stereotype that we're all a bunch of ignorant hicks that would rather mire in ignorance and a terrible economy than allow people to do things they can (and do) go to any bordering state to boost their economies.

So wait...

You're saying that because you can't buy Chip's Truffle Flavored Beer when you're doodling to Reg's Coffeehouse in Chelsea, that this is the reason the state's economy is "tanking"?

Yikes. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2010, 02:00:27 PM »
So wait...

You're saying that because you can't buy Chip's Truffle Flavored Beer when you're doodling to Reg's Coffeehouse in Chelsea, that this is the reason the state's economy is "tanking"?

Yikes. 

Who cares about the economy? We just want beer, bands, and bingo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2010, 02:01:24 PM »
Or spew a litany of falsehoods, build up an arbitrary set of requirements for something to fit your argument, yet hold each individual tenant to a different standard to squeeze it into your flawed logic. You then force us to challenge such asinine statements as claiming that you can't buy Sudafed over the counter, or how you can't be addicted to guns or cars (as if that makes them less deadly, or is even true for that matter), in an effort to divert the argument from the one that was being made.

Limiting alcohol in the ways Free The Hops are fighting against, are textbook examples of Nanny State politics.

You can buy Sudafed over the counter?  

I didn't use that as the example.  I merely responded to it.  

Don't make the mistake on challenging me on something I know (wait.. that's everything...)

Sudafed PE is a nasal decongestant that is now available in the Cold and Flu aisle of local pharmacies and drug stores. Sudafed nasal decongestant (containing pseudoephedrine) is no longer available over the counter, it is only available behind the counter, from the pharmacist.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2010, 02:05:55 PM »
i assume this will eventually pass.  how can the state of alabama not overlook this has a potential revenue source.  at one point money > than god.

the four breweries in alabama will have a hard time lobbying not to increase beer taxes.  yes, in the short term new businesses, boost to the local economy, etc.  but eventually the state will methodically increase taxes.  

luckily for oregonians , the beer industry is so prevalent they fought off a 1900% tax increase in 2009.

all the power to alabama...hopefully, oregon's hop industry will benefit.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2010, 02:06:28 PM »
You can buy Sudafed over the counter?  

I didn't use that as the example.  I merely responded to it.  

Don't make the mistake on challenging me on something I know (wait.. that's everything...)

Sudafed PE is a nasal decongestant that is now available in the Cold and Flu aisle of local pharmacies and drug stores. Sudafed nasal decongestant (containing pseudoephedrine) is no longer available over the counter, it is only available behind the counter, from the pharmacist.
Finish the citation or no desert for you.

Sudafed nasal decongestant is still available without a prescription, you simply have to ask the pharmacist, show a picture ID and sign for the medication when purchasing it. However, Sudafed now offers another option, Sudafed PE (which contains phenylephrine instead of pseudoephedrine), if you are unable to find original Sudafed nasal
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2010, 02:09:26 PM »
Addiction is either physical or psychological, meaning that you either have a physical dependence or a psychological dependence.  Drugs that are physically addictive would be nicotine and heroine.  Beer is not a drug of physical dependence; it is one of psychological dependence.  Does this mean it should be banned?  Well, many people with overeating habits have a psychological dependence on food.  This doesn't mean we should ban food.

You couldn't be more wrong if you were fucking a chimpanzee with a Bic.  

Alcohol -- which is contained in beer -- is a drug of physical dependence.  

You don't have fucking DTs and withdrawal symptoms if somebody takes away your fucking Big Mac.  

Alcohol abuse is both physical and psychological.  

Unfortunately, anything can be psychologically addictive; it depends upon the person's mental state, genetics, upbringing, etc.  Thus, there isn't a legitimate reason for banning a substance simply because some people have psychological addictions to it.

Continuation of the erroneous presumption

It's a psychological addiction.  Gambling does not put anything foreign into your body which your body then physically requires to continue to function.  Receptors in your brain do not become accustomed to a foreign substance and require that the substance continue to be administered.  There is a difference between psychological and physical addictions.  Both can result in physical symptoms, but the underlying cause of the two addictions are distinctly different.

Gambling, yeah.  Psychological all the way.  There's a difference, but you clearly don't understand it.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2010, 02:10:55 PM »

Sudafed nasal decongestant is still available without a prescription, you simply have to ask the pharmacist, show a picture ID and sign for the medication when purchasing it. However, Sudafed now offers another option, Sudafed PE (which contains phenylephrine instead of pseudoephedrine), if you are unable to find original Sudafed nasal

Who wants to be in the desert?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2010, 02:12:04 PM »

Dammit, I fell into your trap.

Next thing you know you'll claim that a substantial restriction on businesses in this state that don't exist in neighboring states will not make an economic impact. Or that people traveling out of state to do anything that resembles fun spending their money to be taxed in other states doesn't harm our economy in any way.

So wait...

Yikes. 

Right on cue.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2010, 02:12:13 PM »

To get Sudafed -- not some variant -- you have to ask a pharmacist.  It's not off the shelf any more.  

It was a poor example, as was lawn darts.  Do you want me to specify there, too?  Because nerf lawn darts are okay, it's the metal lawn darts that used to penetrate people's skulls that were outlawed.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2010, 02:12:39 PM »
Who wants to be in the desert?

Probably a heroine.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2010, 02:13:29 PM »

Next thing you know you'll claim that a substantial restriction on businesses in this state that don't exist in neighboring states will not make an economic impact. Or that people traveling out of state to do anything that resembles fun spending their money to be taxed in other states doesn't harm our economy in any way.
Right on cue.

:rofl:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2010, 02:16:40 PM »
Probably a heroine.

In your face Vandy Vol.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2010, 02:21:37 PM »
:rofl:

Not being able to bottle your own beer, sell it outside your premises, or be located in a "historical building" is a pretty substantial restriction on someone who wants to open a brewery.

I wasn't saying that there would be a substantial economic boom if they allowed breweries in Alabama, although that could be argued as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2010, 02:25:09 PM »
See Ten Commandments statue in the Alabama Supreme Court building.

Ok - I thought those were removed in 2003 after the Roy Moore thing. Am I wrong? If I am right, then the law took its course.

Anyway - it's still apples and oranges. To use Jesus (or Allah or Lord Krishna or Buddha) or any religion as the BASIS to enforce a law is illegal. I know the 10 Commandments were in the courthouse, but what you are saying here is that they are using Jesus as the basis to keep people from enjoying a micro-brew.

On the floor of the state house, what is the actual opposition argument????
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2010, 02:29:15 PM »
Ok - I thought those were removed in 2003 after the Roy Moore thing. Am I wrong? If I am right, then the law took its course.

Anyway - it's still apples and oranges. To use Jesus (or Allah or Lord Krishna or Buddha) or any religion as the BASIS to enforce a law is illegal. I know the 10 Commandments were in the courthouse, but what you are saying here is that they are using Jesus as the basis to keep people from enjoying a micro-brew.

I am not lying to you.  The basic argument against said bill was that 1. Drinking Alcohol is a vice and 2. What's wrong with the beer we have now?

Which boils down to the real agenda, Alabama was paid a shit ton by the big distributors, I.e. Anheuser Busch, Coors, etc... to keep it like it was.  Therefore, they could have a somewhat monopoly. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2010, 02:30:46 PM »

Of course, they can't flat out say that's their reasoning, but their motivations are thinly veiled by their complete inability to vocalize their opposition with any argument other than "alcohol is bad".

The same exact irellevant arguments they had for the last Free The Hops Bill.

See the post on the first page:

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:31:29 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2010, 02:37:40 PM »
Of course, they can't flat out say that's their reasoning, but their motivations are thinly veiled by their complete inability to vocalize their opposition with any argument other than "alcohol is bad".
The same exact irellevant arguments they had for the last Free The Hops Bill.

So the argument that alcohol is bad (which has mountains of statistical and anecdotal evidence to support it) should be tossed out because you can't buy Chuckie's Cheese Flavored Hops straight from the vat? 

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

Why isn't "alcohol is bad" enough?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2010, 02:40:50 PM »
So the argument that alcohol is bad (which has mountains of statistical and anecdotal evidence to support it) should be tossed out because you can't buy Chuckie's Cheese Flavored Hops straight from the vat? 

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

Why isn't "alcohol is bad" enough?
See, GH2001? We're not making that shit up. People actually think this way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions