Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

More News On The Old People's War On Fun In Alabama...

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
More News On The Old People's War On Fun In Alabama...
« on: February 17, 2010, 10:04:49 AM »
The Brewery Modernization Act has been introduced in both the Senate and House.

On January 21, Dan Roberts, Joseph Baker, Braden Pittman, and I traveled down to Montgomery to speak in favor of HB406 at a public hearing held by the House Tourism and Travel Committee. Attorney and entrepreneur John Little joined us as a favorable voice while the leaders of the Alabama Citizens Action Program spoke against the bill. ALCAP, self-styled as "Alabama's Moral Compass" has been opposed to all of our legislation thus far.

We spoke of the potential economic impact of the bill. We talked about how the craft beer revolution has remained untapped by Alabama entrepreneurs because the legal environment in Alabama is so restrictive. We urged the committee to consider placing our local breweries on the same legal footing as Alabama wineries.

In response, ALCAP gave their normal, tired argument. Any alcohol is bad and therefore anything that's even remotely pro-beer is bad.

The House Tourism and Travel Committee unanimously approved the bill after this hearing. Our Senate bill, SB328, also recently passed the Senate Tourism and Marketing Committee. At this point, therefore, both the Senate and House bills have passed committee and are waiting to be put on the Special Order Calendar in their respective chambers.

Not too long ago, many of us traveled to other states to buy the kinds of beer we enjoy. Now we spend that money in Alabama. In fact, I've heard rumor that people from Nashville recently traveled to Huntsville to buy Hopslam because Bell's Brewery doesn't distribute to Tennessee. I also know that Mississippians now come to Alabama to buy their favorite beers.

There's also the story of El Rey Burrito Lounge in Montgomery, which decided to become a craft beer destination after the Gourmet Beer Bill passed. After a meet-n-greet with state legislators last week, several members gathered at El Rey and were greeted by the owner. He thanked Free the Hops for our efforts. In comparing his detailed year-to-year sales information, he explained how sales of gourmet beer had offset some losses that have occurred because of the economic downturn.He told our members that it had made a world of difference.

All of our talk about the economic impact of beer isn't just a cheap talking point. There have been several anecdotes like these that show how wholesale and retail sales of gourmet beer have made an impact during these tough times.

The Brewery Modernization Act may have an even greater impact. It will help Alabama compete in a growing industry, create jobs, and promote tourism. New businesses will open and existing ones will be able to do more.

Now that we have passed committee, it is a good time to touch base with your state senator and representative to make sure they know you support the Brewery Modernization Act. As always, we invite you to use our website to learn about your legislators.

FTH: Find your legislators: www.freethehops.org/legislative/

Please let us know if you hear any feedback from your legislators.

Once we know when we're scheduled to appear on the calendar (and thus scheduled for a floor debate and vote), we will send out an action alert asking everyone to melt the phone system.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 10:12:33 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
Re: More News On The Old People's War On Fun In Alabama...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 10:08:36 AM »
For more on what exactly the Brewery Modernization Act is:
   For the 2010 legislative session, we will be introducing the Brewery Modernization Act. Now that we can buy some of the greatest beer from around the world, we think it’s time to make it easier for Alabamians to make some of the greatest beer in the world.

As beer geeks, we love the idea of local beer. What’s better than going to your neighborhood brewery’s tap room or brewpub to try the latest seasonal, served by one of the brewers themselves?

Unfortunately, there are only 4 breweries in Alabama, and half of those aren’t allowed to serve you beer.

The two breweries that are allowed sell their beer on-premises – Hurricane Brewing in Mobile and Montgomery Brewing – are lucky enough to have met all the requirements for opening a brewpub in Alabama. Such a license is only available in a handful of counties, and then only if located in an historic building. Even after meeting those (and more) requirements, they’re not allowed to sell their beer outside of the brewpub.

The other two breweries in Alabama – Good People in Birmingham and Olde Towne in Huntsville – have more freedom on where they can open and sell. However, the current law effectively cuts them off from the beer-drinking public. Many breweries outside of Alabama offer brewery tours with samples and/or a tasting room where you can try their beer on-location. Alabama’s breweries are not allowed to do either.

It’s next-to-impossible to open and profitably operate a brewpub in Alabama. If one can find and afford an historic location in one of the few available counties, the law won’t allow you to expand beyond your brewpub doors. Similarly, since on-premise sales at breweries are illegal, the law is denying the distributing breweries a potential source of income and promotional efforts.

Is it any surprise that Alabama has only 4 licensed breweries while Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee share over 70?

The goal of the Brewery Modernization Act is to take the complicated, restrictive and multi-tiered brewery licensing law and turn it into a more simple law. As intended, the result will be:

1. There’s no more distinction between “distributing breweries” and brewpubs. There’s just “breweries.”
       2. Breweries can sell their beer on-premises and/or they can sell to a wholesaler. So Olde Towne and Good People can continue doing what they’re doing PLUS they can open up a taproom or brewpub at their location. The Montgomery Brewpub and Hurricane Brewing can continue doing what they’re doing PLUS they can start bottling or selling draft beer at other retailers.
       3. Breweries can open in any wet county, don’t have to be in an historic building, don’t have to have a restaurant, and don’t have a cap on how much beer they can brew.
       4. Breweries are specifically allowed to offer tours with samples.
       5. Breweries are specifically allowed to participate in beer festivals.

With the current state of the economy, shouldn’t we be making it easier to open and operate a small business in Alabama?

Turning a complicated law into a more simple law is, unfortunately, pretty complicated. As of now, the state agency that writes bills has not finished drafting the Brewery Modernization Act to meet our requirements. We expect the bill to be drafted very soon and introduced into the legislature next week.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 10:12:57 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 10:12:36 AM »
Alabama, welcome to the 20th Century!

Next, we will have that internet thing, but I hear we need a phone line.  

Or maybe gambling...no...never mind.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 10:13:18 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 10:24:21 AM »
What the fuck is a phone?  I just be prayin' to Saban that he send my families in Jasper my messages. Uhduruhdur.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 10:35:59 AM »
What the fuck is a phone?  I just be prayin' to Saban that he send my families in Jasper my messages. Uhduruhdur.
Typical Alabama logic, as it pertains to this topic is more like "Why we gotta have brurrys? I get my Nattie Light from the Piggy Wig. I don't need em to make it in fronta me!"

Of course the opposition to Free The Hops's last initiative sounded like this.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 10:39:44 AM »
LOL, dumb old people
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 10:39:56 AM »
"WUZ WRONG WIT DA BEER WE GOTS?! IT DRANK PURTY GOOD!"

I'm so fucking confused.  He seems so enthusiastic about drinking Budweiser (and the other brands that he can't seem to name) because it "drank purty good," yet allowing other beers into the state would be immoral?  So...beer is beer, and beer drinks good, unless it's a gourmet/high gravity/foreign beer?  Then it's wrong.

The logic of this man is impeccable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 10:43:45 AM »
Stupid arguments on BOTH sides.   

Beer with higher alcohol content?  Why?  That's ignorant.  Beer in bigger bottles?  Why?

This is a stupid issue -- NOT about making things better for small business -- and barely worthy of discussion. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 10:51:36 AM »

Beer with higher alcohol content?  Why?  That's ignorant.  Beer in bigger bottles?  Why?

This is a stupid issue -- NOT about making things better for small business -- and barely worthy of discussion. 
Better tasting beer?  Encourages business entrepreneurs?  Helps raise money?  Keeps money in Alabama?  Freedom of choice? 

You're right, all of those are bare worthy of discussion...

By the way, When does Golden Corral open?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Vandy Vol

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 10:54:54 AM »
Beer with higher alcohol content?  Why?

Beer made in foreign countries often has higher alcohol content.  Beer made in foreign countries is often superior to beer made in America.  Some people enjoy the taste of finely brewed beers.  Nonetheless, that's not what the most recent debate is about.  The Free the Hops Act has already been passed into law; high gravity beers are now available in Alabama.

The most recent legislative push is the Brewery Modernization Act.  Tap rooms are illegal in Alabama’s distributing breweries.  Before you can buy a brewery's beer in Alabama, it has to go from the brewery to a distributor to a retailer, and then to you.  This is not a huge issue, except for the fact that brewpubs can't exist.

That's perfectly fine by me.  I don't agree with the reasoning of the law, but it's not a big deal to me that a bar can't have a brewery in its basement and sell its own beer.  Although, as AWK pointed out, maybe it's more economical for some businesses to be able to brew and serve their own beer in one establishment, instead of having to pay transportation costs, distribution costs, etc.  However, the debates and comments you heard above were not in relation to this Beer Modernization Act, but rather the Free the Hops Act, which has already passed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 10:59:16 AM »

Someone didn't read anything in this thread, and has no idea what the new initiative is about.

The Gourmet Bill Act has passed, so you're going to have to accept and adjust to that one.

Although, since you're still stuck on that issue, why the fuck NOT should be what you're asking.

It's not about getting fucked up. No one chugs a Chimay. There are far more economical ways to get drunk in the state of Alabama. Nothing's stopping anyone from buying a handle of Everclear, but by God some of that delicious high-end gourmet beer is 5.7% ABV! Save the children! Yeah, you can either get a pint of Heaven Hill for $2.99, or about 12 Delerium Tremens for about $100, and you'd throw up, not from alcohol but from the caloric intake before you could ever get close to the same drunk. That's just the type of asinine that you can't even believe a real person would actually attempt to logically argue against.

The bottle size thing isn't about getting 40's of Schlitz. Lots of gourmet beers come in liter sized bottles only, like wines do. But while we're at it, who actually came up with a law that said "Beer's ok. Just as long as they don't come in big bottles. I mean, you can drink an entire case at once, that's fine, but you'd better be wasting a lot of individual cans or bottles when you do it."

Anyway, this new initiative has nothing to do with any of that.

It's about the free market, and allowing this backwards assed state to allow breweries other than the four that are currently allowed to operate due to their extremely specific laws designed to show favoritism to businesses owned by politicians' buddies.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 11:04:45 AM »
Someone didn't read anything in this thread, and has no idea what the new initiative is about.

The Gourmet Bill Act has passed, so you're going to have to accept and adjust to that one.

Although, since you're still stuck on that issue, why the fuck NOT should be what you're asking.

It's not about getting fucked up. No one chugs a Chimay. There are far more economical ways to get drunk in the state of Alabama. Nothing's stopping anyone from buying a handle of Everclear, but by God some of that delicious high-end gourmet beer is 5.7% ABV! Save the children! Yeah, you can either get a pint of Heaven Hill for $2.99, or about 12 Delerium Tremens for about $100, and you'd throw up, not from alcohol but from the caloric intake before you could ever get close to the same drunk. That's just the type of asinine that you can't even believe a real person would actually attempt to logically argue against.

The bottle size thing isn't about getting 40's of Schlitz. Lots of gourmet beers come in liter sized bottles only, like wines do. But while we're at it, who actually came up with a law that said "Beer's ok. Just as long as they don't come in big bottles. I mean, you can drink an entire case at once, that's fine, but you'd better be wasting a lot of individual cans or bottles when you do it."

Anyway, this new initiative has nothing to do with any of that.

It's about the free market, and allowing this backwards assed state to allow breweries other than the four that are currently allowed to operate due to their extremely specific laws designed to show favoritism to businesses owned by politicians' buddies.

All beer conversation in general is a waste of time. 

Brewpubs selling it on premises.  Whatever.  Free the hops.  Who cares.  Stupid.

Initiative my ass.  Free market my ass. 

As I said -- the arguments on both sides of these issues are ridiculous.  Same as with the dumbass gambling argument.  Riley looks like a redneck still buster. 

There is no good argument on either issue. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 11:08:24 AM »

Brewpubs selling it on premises.  Whatever.  Free the hops.  Who cares.  Stupid.

As I said -- the arguments on both sides of these issues are ridiculous.  Same as with the dumbass gambling argument.  Riley looks like a redneck still buster. 

Sorry, chief, but you're flat fucking wrong this time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 11:08:48 AM »

Yes there is. How about don't be a Redneck still buster?

Why are you such a fan of the nanny state, and big government telling people how to run their lives?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 11:10:52 AM »
Sorry, chief, but you're flat fucking wrong this time.
Agreed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 11:11:44 AM »

When you have something, anything, to back your position up with, you go on for pages and pages about how right you are.

When you support something so completely illogical and foolish that even YOU can't form an argument? It's a stupid argument on both sides...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 11:26:54 AM »
Yes there is. How about don't be a Redneck still buster?

Why are you such a fan of the nanny state, and big government telling people how to run their lives?

I'm not.  I hate the nanny state concept.  I hate fucking seatbelt and helmet laws.  And the driving while texting thing is an absolute joke.  

I wish Riley would sit down and shut the fuck up.  I'm for less government.  Just don't need it.  

As far as the beer stuff goes, it's my personal opinion that beer drinking -- particularly the way it's done in this state -- is the equivalent of NASCAR and Bama fandom.  It's been my experience that in this state you take anything fun and add beer and you get shit.  

Football game + beer = dumbass shouting obscenities in front of my kids

Mardi Gras parade + beer = Shitfaced hillbilly knocking people down to get beads and then throwing up.  

Hunting + beer = dead animals and sometimes people

Going to the beach + beer = fishbelly waddling into the ocean to piss every ten minutes while laughing about it

There's a time and a place for everything.  I get the concept of good beer vs. swill and brewpubs having the ability to market their own regional flavors.  The problem is that for every one of you who drinks a beer or two in a responsible manner and with responsible consequences there are two dozen Case o' Coors Charlies who don't.  

Maybe my experiences are different, but through my entire life I've never seen a single situation where beer -- no matter if it was brewed in Sweden or Nigeria or St. Louis or Hoover -- made any situation better.  I've lost family members (and not just ones who died as a direct result), friends and business partners because they couldn't handle it.  I've seen far too many events ruined (see parades, beach, etc.) because some assclown couldn't behave responsibly.  

Given a choice between a world with beer and one without, I'd take without.  And I wouldn't think very long about it.  But I'm not talking governmental intrusion, as in a law against it.  I mean it just wouldn't exist, period.  

Since I have that bias, there's no need for me to comment about this any longer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 11:39:33 AM »
I'm not.  I hate the nanny state concept.  I hate fucking seatbelt and helmet laws.  And the driving while texting thing is an absolute joke.  

I wish Riley would sit down and shut the fuck up.  I'm for less government.  Just don't need it.  

As far as the beer stuff goes, it's my personal opinion that beer drinking -- particularly the way it's done in this state -- is the equivalent of NASCAR and Bama fandom.  It's been my experience that in this state you take anything fun and add beer and you get shit.  

Football game + beer = dumbass shouting obscenities in front of my kids

Mardi Gras parade + beer = Shitfaced hillbilly knocking people down to get beads and then throwing up.  

Hunting + beer = dead animals and sometimes people

Going to the beach + beer = fishbelly waddling into the ocean to piss every ten minutes while laughing about it

There's a time and a place for everything.  I get the concept of good beer vs. swill and brewpubs having the ability to market their own regional flavors.  The problem is that for every one of you who drinks a beer or two in a responsible manner and with responsible consequences there are two dozen Case o' Coors Charlies who don't.  

Maybe my experiences are different, but through my entire life I've never seen a single situation where beer -- no matter if it was brewed in Sweden or Nigeria or St. Louis or Hoover -- made any situation better.  I've lost family members (and not just ones who died as a direct result), friends and business partners because they couldn't handle it.  I've seen far too many events ruined (see parades, beach, etc.) because some assclown couldn't behave responsibly.  

Given a choice between a world with beer and one without, I'd take without.  And I wouldn't think very long about it.  But I'm not talking governmental intrusion, as in a law against it.  I mean it just wouldn't exist, period.  

Since I have that bias, there's no need for me to comment about this any longer.

Well, if your standard (ban something if it can be utilized in an irresponsible manner) is adopted, then lets get to banning:

Guns
Cars
Fast food
Sudafed
Lawn darts
Chainsaws
Casinos

Your own personal experiences aside, this is stupid fucking reasoning.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 11:44:24 AM »
Well, if your standard (ban something if it can be utilized in an irresponsible manner) is adopted, then lets get to banning:

Guns
Cars
Fast food
Sudafed
Lawn darts
Chainsaws
Casinos

And every other physical object on Earth.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 11:54:40 AM »

Guns
Cars
Fast food
Sudafed
Lawn darts
Chainsaws
Casinos

No, it's not.  It just doesn't fit your way of thinking.  

But let's go down your list.

Guns do not have addictive properties.  Nobody's ever picked up a gun and become physically addicted.

Cars: See guns

Fast Food:  The next time somebody gets divorced because Dad was hiding McNuggets in his kid's underwear drawer so his wife wouldn't see him eating them; the next time somebody has one too many BK Broilers and punches out his wife; the next time a guy is so hopped up on What-a-Burgers that he crashes his car and kills a bunch of people... then we can talk about fast food.  

Lawn darts are no longer legal to have because they posed a threat to safety.  

Sudafed is now regulated. Can't buy it off the shelf because dumbasses used it to make meth.

Chainsaws: See guns

Casinos: Gambling can be (allegedly) a physical addiction. I don't necessarily buy that, but this is the only thing on your list which has even a scintilla of merit.  I guess that's why there's such a huge debate over having them in this state.  

You're an intelligent person.  Surely you can see the basic difference between something that can hurt you (a rock, a baseball bat, a knitting needle) when used improperly and something that has the potential to hurt you and others because it has the (well documented) ability to gain control of your faculties, cause you to become addicted and also cause you to -- even temporarily -- lose the ability to make sound, rational judgments.  

Failure to acknowledge that is what' can only be considered  "fucking stupid reasoning"  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions