Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Worlds worst analogies

Birmingham

Worlds worst analogies
« on: February 09, 2010, 01:57:19 PM »
With all the success this off season when do you think it translates to the field?  I think Auburn has an excellent chance of playing for a National title in 2010.  I'm sure some of you will think I have some secret ulterior motive by saying that but I'm 100% serious.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 02:30:44 PM by Birmingham »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: When does Auburn play for a National Title?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 02:07:28 PM »
With all the success this off season when do you think it translates to the field?  I think Auburn has an excellent chance of playing for a National title in 2010.  I'm sure some of you will think I have some secret ulterior motive by saying that but I'm 100% serious.

What do you think?

2010 won't happen. 
Who knows after that?  Gotta have a lot of good breaks and solid fishing trips to make a run.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 02:12:58 PM »
With all the success this off season when do you think it translates to the field?  I think Auburn has an excellent chance of playing for a National title in 2010.  I'm sure some of you will think I have some secret ulterior motive by saying that but I'm 100% serious.

What do you think?
I think if we commit now to this idea, and don't visit any other ideas we have a solid chance.  Some call that the vulture line of thinking, but I think I'll take it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 02:13:30 PM »
When the mighty $aban deigns to allow us, of course.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 02:17:11 PM »
I'm not sure about 2010, it would be nice. It's really kind of hard to dissect, I mean we did bring in a lot of talent which some are JUCO, but it's just too hard to tell. I do believe the offense will be better than last year, it is the D that is the question. Now that we actually have some talent coming in to play reserve and special teams, this may give the starters some much much needed rest. I do, however, believe that the IB will decide the West rep in ATL.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 02:25:03 PM »

Glendale, Arizona- site of the MNC game between Texas and Auburn with Nick Saban and Tommy Tuberville as guest analysts. That would be a good start.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 02:25:46 PM »
I think it's VERY possible that the IB does NOT decide the west.  Alabama has a tough road to before the IB and could certainly have 3 or 4 losses before Auburn steps off the bus in Tuscaloosa.  Likewise I can see Auburn being undefeated going in to the IB.  I don't the the IB decides the west.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 02:26:22 PM by Birmingham »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 02:38:15 PM »
3 or 4 losses would spell the end for Satan. Tuscaloosa would burst into a raging inferno.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 02:51:41 PM »
There are too many deficiencies and questions going into next year to assume that merely plugging in a few talented freshman are going to make us a title team.  I'm pretty sure you don't think we'll be playing for a title in 2010...ulterior motive or not, I can't imagine you really believe that.  

There are still way too many "ifs" to even project title-discussion teams for 2011 or 2012 either.

2011 - If we have another very good recruiting class next year.  If Newton turns out to be a stud.  If guys like Coleman, Mack, Owens, Holland, Whitaker, Lemonier, etc turn out to be SEC quality starters as Sophomores.  If the 2011 recruiting class produces a few impact freshman.  If Roof proves he can coach with better talent and depth.  and IF all that happens....the schedule in 2011 includes road games to Clemson, South Carolina, Arkansas, LSU, and Georgia, and home games with Florida and Alabama.  That's not exactly a national title-friendly schedule.

2012- If we continue to recruit, we'll have talent and depth.  But Newton will be gone, so we're starting over with the QB. The only thing that could help that is if Rollison somehow turns out to beat Newton to begin with. In that case, Rollison would be a junior and second year starter.  So who knows.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

jadennis

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
I think it's VERY possible that the IB does NOT decide the west.  Alabama has a tough road to before the IB and could certainly have 3 or 4 losses before Auburn steps off the bus in Tuscaloosa.  Likewise I can see Auburn being undefeated going in to the IB.  I don't the the IB decides the west.

More BS.  You don't believe Alabama will have 3 or 4 losses before the Iron Bowl. 

No you don't.

Liar.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Birmingham

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 03:00:35 PM »
More BS.  You don't believe Alabama will have 3 or 4 losses before the Iron Bowl. 

No you don't.

Liar.

There's a difference in saying "Alabama could have" and Alabama will have".  I don't think they will but I certainly could see where they could and it certainly wouldn't shock me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 03:12:04 PM »
There's a difference in saying "Alabama could have" and Alabama will have".  I don't think they will but I certainly could see where they could and it certainly wouldn't shock me.

"Could certainly" seems to indicate you think it's likely though.  Three is possible, two or fewer is likely.  Being ranked the #1 preseason team doesn't make you the #1 team, but it does mean that most people have good reason to expect them to be pretty damn good.

Three losses by the IB will be a big disappointment.

Penn State, Florida, Ole Miss, and MSU at home....that should be 3-1 at the bare minimum.  Both PSU and Florida will be replacing a ton of players...and you get both pretty early (week 2 and week 5).

Arkansas, South Carolina, Tennessee, and LSU on the road....that should be 3-1 bare minimum.  I'm not sure what reason there is to think any of those four teams will be dramatically better than last year.  And if they're not dramatically better, then Alabama should beat them all (but it is the road in the SEC, so it's reasonable to think a slip up could come somewhere).

I would guess no worse than 9-2 going into the IB.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

Birmingham

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 03:24:56 PM »
It will certainly be tough.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 10:22:48 AM »
All a setup so that IF Auburn has a better record than Bama AND some additional success, you can say you called it and it was expected. BS   :bs:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 10:40:07 AM »
I'm not sure about 2010, it would be nice. It's really kind of hard to dissect, I mean we did bring in a lot of talent which some are JUCO, but it's just too hard to tell. I do believe the offense will be better than last year,  it is the D that is the question. Now that we actually have some talent coming in to play reserve and special teams, this may give the starters some much much needed rest. I do, however, believe that the IB will decide the West rep in ATL.

While it may be, there is no rational or logical reason for it to be so.  If KISS were replacing Gene and Paul with two guys who had only played a handful of high school proms, while you might hope that they would be able to improve or maintain the band it wouldn't really be reasonable to blindly assume that they would.  (*insert but KISS sucks joke here).  

Expectations based on hope vs. reality  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 10:42:01 AM »
While it may be, there is no rational or logical reason for it to be so.  If KISS were replacing Gene and Paul with two guys who had only played a handful of high school proms, while you might hope that they would be able to improve or maintain the band it wouldn't really be reasonable to blindly assume that they would.  (*insert but KISS sucks joke here).  

This is off topic to your point but I'll take Bruce Kulick over Ace Frehley anyday.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 10:48:24 AM »

Bad analogy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 10:50:44 AM »
This is off topic to your point but I'll take Bruce Kulick over Ace Frehley anyday.

Bruce is better technically.  Ace is more creative and inventive.

Ace has star power.  Bruce never had it.  

Both have their good points, but I'm a fan of original KISS.  There was something about the mix of personalities that worked.  While Bruce (and even to a degree Tommy and Vinnie) played well they just didn't have the same aura.  

Drum-wise I really liked Eric Carr.  Pete's always sort of been a whiny bitch. I do wish the band had listened to him more, though.  The songs he wrote and provided vocals for are among my favorites -- Hard Luck Woman, Black Diamond...

Eric Singer is a very good rock drummer.  Played with Alice Cooper and a bunch of other bands. But he doesn't have the same gravitas that Pete or the first Eric did.  

Does bring up a topic, though.  Paul has hinted that when he and Gene eventually decide to retire they are going to hire replacements and continue to "own" the band and its image.   Unsure how I feel about that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 10:51:40 AM »
Bad analogy.

You are prejudiced against good analogies. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 10:51:57 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.