Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Worlds worst analogies

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: When does Auburn play for a National Title?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 10:55:49 AM »
Craptastically bad.

Don't criticize what you do not understand.  

But since you did, let me break it down for you.  

KISS is a band that most of you would characterize as moderately successful.  I disagree, but I'm part of the family.  

Auburn is a football team that most would characterize as moderately successful.  We disagree, but we're part of the family.

Gene and Paul are the driving force behind the band.  They have managers, agents and all manner of people helping them, but in the end the success or failure rests on their performance.  Most would characterize them as only moderately talented.  I may disagree, but it's because I'm in the family.  

Chris Todd and Ben Tate were the driving force behind Auburn's offensive production. 90% of the production started with one or the other. They had coaches, trainers and all manner of people helping them, but in the end the success of failure rested on their performance.  Most would characterize them as only moderately talented. We may disagree, but we see things through our own family lens.

If Gene and Paul left the band, it's highly likely that their replacements would have at least as much -- or more -- musical talent.  Does that mean that the band itself will automatically be more successful?  No. Will the new members mesh with the current members? Will they be able to perform at the same level? Will it take them time to learn the processes and mature into their roles?  That's a safe assumption.

Chris and Ben left the offense.  The contention here is that their replacements will have at least as much -- or more -- athletic talent.  Does that mean the team itself will automatically be more productive? No. Will the new starters mesh with the current starters? Will the offense be able to perform at the same level? Will it take them time to learn the processes and mature into their roles?  That's a safe assumption.

Is it possible that KISS would be exponentially better and more successful with new front men?  Sure.

Is it possible that Auburn will be exponentially better on offense even as it replaces the bulk of its offense? Sure.

It's just not reasonable to expect it without even knowing who the players will be. 

Analogy win.  
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:11:20 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 11:06:44 AM »
While it may be, there is no rational or logical reason for it to be so.  If KISS were replacing Gene and Paul with two guys who had only played a handful of high school proms, while you might hope that they would be able to improve or maintain the band it wouldn't really be reasonable to blindly assume that they would.  (*insert but KISS sucks joke here).  

Expectations based on hope vs. reality  

Well of course its hope. I don't really know because I can not foretell the future. I am basing this on the offense building on what they have with some additional talent; like Newton at QB. Yes, this is a guess, but its not just something I have pulled out of my yin yang either.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 11:46:46 AM »
Don't criticize what you do not understand.  

But since you did, let me break it down for you.  

KISS is a band that most of you would characterize as moderately successful.  I disagree, but I'm part of the family.  

Auburn is a football team that most would characterize as moderately successful.  We disagree, but we're part of the family.

Gene and Paul are the driving force behind the band.  They have managers, agents and all manner of people helping them, but in the end the success or failure rests on their performance.  Most would characterize them as only moderately talented.  I may disagree, but it's because I'm in the family.  

Chris Todd and Ben Tate were the driving force behind Auburn's offensive production. 90% of the production started with one or the other. They had coaches, trainers and all manner of people helping them, but in the end the success of failure rested on their performance.  Most would characterize them as only moderately talented. We may disagree, but we see things through our own family lens.

If Gene and Paul left the band, it's highly likely that their replacements would have at least as much -- or more -- musical talent.  Does that mean that the band itself will automatically be more successful?  No. Will the new members mesh with the current members? Will they be able to perform at the same level? Will it take them time to learn the processes and mature into their roles?  That's a safe assumption.

Chris and Ben left the offense.  The contention here is that their replacements will have at least as much -- or more -- athletic talent.  Does that mean the team itself will automatically be more productive? No. Will the new starters mesh with the current starters? Will the offense be able to perform at the same level? Will it take them time to learn the processes and mature into their roles?  That's a safe assumption.

Is it possible that KISS would be exponentially better and more successful with new front men?  Sure.

Is it possible that Auburn will be exponentially better on offense even as it replaces the bulk of its offense? Sure.

It's just not reasonable to expect it without even knowing who the players will be. 

Analogy win.  

That's an awful lot of words to attempt to justify a horrible analogy. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 11:53:30 AM »
I quit reading after KISS
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 11:55:33 AM »
I quit reading after KISS

I should have.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 11:59:24 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 12:07:35 PM »
That's an awful lot of words to attempt to justify a horrible analogy.  

And yet the analogy is spot on.  It's dead center perfect.  

Would have worked the same if I'd used Aerosmith, Van Halen, Led zep, Pink Floyd, etc.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 12:08:28 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 12:13:04 PM »
So, Chris Todd is Gene Simmons?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 12:18:26 PM »
Would have worked the same if I'd used Aerosmith, Van Halen, Led zep, Pink Floyd, etc.
Except I might have read it then.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 12:44:34 PM »
Who is Kiss?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2010, 12:47:21 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 12:52:02 PM »
Who is Kiss?
No they're not. Who is from England.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2010, 01:04:15 PM »
So, Chris Todd is Gene Simmons?

In that scenario, yeah. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2010, 01:04:45 PM »
Who is from England.

Queen.  But they shouldn't be soldiers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2010, 01:07:54 PM »
No they're not. Who is from England.
KISS is Who, Who is KISS and Christy is the bimbo!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

jadennis

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2010, 01:12:03 PM »
And yet the analogy is spot on.  It's dead center perfect.  

Here's why I disagree...

In the band KISS (or Aerosmith, or Led Zeppelin, etc), the band members are the one's that control the music...they write the songs...they own what they are.  The members of KISS create the melody, the rhythm, the words, etc.  It's all from within them.

However, you actually can get quite a few "cover" musicians that can reproduce accurately the "notes", and therefore the song.  That "cover" guy could never have created it all though...he can only play it.  And as for playing it, some will lack the "touch" or the "flare" that another may have had, but either way, they can play the notes to some varying degree of success.

Likewise...I think the same thing is missing in your analogy....the coaches are KISS....not Ben Tate or Chris Todd.  

Ben Tate and Chris Todd are the equivalent of the "cover" guy...asked to step in and perform the song written by someone else.

Tate and Todd were the ones "plugged in" to perform the songs written by Malzahn.  Tate performed his role pretty well, hitting the notes, and even doing so with a "style" we all appreciated.  Todd, at times, played his notes perfectly, but more often than not he was obviously lacking the skill to play the rifts Malzahn had put in front of him.  

Next year Malzahn will plug in two new musicians to try to "cover" the songs he's written.  Will Newton look at the sheet music put before him and comfortably and creatively "play it" the way Malzahn intended it to be played?  Will Aycock or Dyer or whoever be able to play the same chords Tate played with as much success and flare as Tate did?

The point is, we aren't asking two new guys to be the next contributing members of Led Zeppelin.  Trying to replace Paige and Plant?  Yeah, monumental task.  Trying to replace members of ZoSo or Blackdog or any other cover band?  Somewhat of a task, sure, but not even remotely the same thing as replacing Paige, Plant, Bonham, etc.  

We are trying to find the next members of the cover band to see how close they can play what Jimmy Paige (Gus Malzahn) originally wrote.  

The good news for our offense is this...Todd was "wedding singer" quality at being a lead guitar cover man.  He could get through the song, but he offered nothing of his own style or flare, and wasn't even that good at simply reproducing the notes.  Replacing him with someone at least equally as mediocre shouldn't be too hard.

For Tate, he was much better.  He was successful at what he did, no question.  The good news?  We don't have just one or two new applicants for filling his vacated spot.  We have Aycock, Dyer, Smith, Fannin, etc.  And from the tapes we've heard and glimpses we've seen, we have reason to think at least one of those guys could adequately play Malzahn's music to the same degree Tate did.

To me, the hope I have that the offense will be at least as good as last year isn't blind hope.  It's founded on some pretty decent logic I think.  By the way, I know you're not saying the offense will NOT be as good..you're just saying why you're not assuming it.  I'm not assuming it either, but I am expecting it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 01:16:02 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2010, 01:12:26 PM »

Who's on first?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

jadennis

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2010, 01:12:54 PM »
In that scenario, yeah. 

Gus Malzahn is Gene Simmons....see my "too long" post above.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2010, 01:27:43 PM »
If you can get that movie reference without looking it up... +5 to you
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2010, 01:29:30 PM »
Gus Malzahn is Gene Simmons....see my "too long" post above.
Why do you guys hate football?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum