Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Man Up - Repealing "Don't Ask Don't Tell "

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Man Up - Repealing "Don't Ask Don't Tell "
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2010, 03:31:34 PM »
:thumsup:

Could you please be more specific? What have I said that is the incoherent babble you claim it to be? The fact that you set me apart and dismiss everything I say as ignorance is because you have nothing to refute. It's the same tactic you fail miserably at applying when Chopper hands you your ass in thread after thread.

Your entire opening rant was shockingly malformed and failed to comprehend the issues as they were presented. 

Good try, Sancho. 

This really isn't your forte. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2010, 04:32:33 PM »
I had my personal family relationships denigrated.

Racist
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2010, 05:58:01 PM »
I had my personal family relationships denigrated.
Oh, please.  Sob sob.  A relationships that YOU first brought up, a relationship that you basically said did not exist simply because the cousin is gay.  Not because she is a bitch or a tree hugger or because she has green eyes - but because she is gay.  If you introduce the statement, expect to have it discussed.  And I truly do doubt that the cousin is depressed because she can't hang out with you.

I've issued no calls for mass genetic tampering or imprisonment.

Really?? REALLY??   :bs:

I guess I'm Hitler, because if the gene were identified and I had the authority, all children would be corrected prior to birth.

As for the rest of that...

Being a master at this game does not make you the ultimate authority on everything.  Everything you just ascribed to the rest of us who disagree with you can be laid equally at your own feet.  You respect my opinion about as much as you say I have respected yours.  You have called me irrational, emotional, and incapable of reasoning.  You have called me Pelosi.  You have turned and twisted and outright dismissed anything anyone tries to say in defense of their own position and pretty much closed your mind to legitimate discussion.  I have tried to redirect this topic numerous times back to the original statement, without success.  But I am not Prowler and I am not Chopper and I will not be sumamrily dismissed by you for having an opinion that disagrees with yours.  I am sure that will open me up to unrelated harassment in every single post I ever make on this board in any thread, but that can be dealt with.  THIS is why people get so damn tired of your schtick posted from atop your marble pedestal.  THIS is why I seldom read any of your posts in other threads anymore, because I know that no matter the topic, they reek of smug self-righteousness and your feelings of superiority.  And that gets old.

Sorry, K.  But I am not Prowler.  I won’t be baited and I won’t be reeled in.  I just know that I would hate to lose my job that I loved, the job that I trained for, the job that I performed well, just because someone disagreed with something about me I could not change.  Period.  If that makes me a hysterical Pelosi, then fine.  I’ll be sure not to sit next to you in church.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2010, 06:16:08 PM »
I read the whole thing. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #144 on: February 05, 2010, 06:24:49 PM »
Oh, please.  Sob sob.  A relationships that YOU first brought up, a relationship that you basically said did not exist simply because the cousin is gay.  Not because she is a bitch or a tree hugger or because she has green eyes - but because she is gay.  If you introduce the statement, expect to have it discussed.  And I truly do doubt that the cousin is depressed because she can't hang out with you.

Not your place to say.  

Really?? REALLY??   :bs:

Yeah,  really.  I said if it were up to me that's what I'd do, but it's not up to me, first of all.  Second the technology doesn't exist (or if it does, it's been hidden away).  Third, I didn't issue a call for this administration or any other to pursue the option or enforce it.  I just said what I'd do if given the authority.   If it were up to me, I'd fuck Elisha Cuthbert tonight.  Since it's not, the comment is nothing more than my thought.  

As for the rest of that...
Being a master at this game does not make you the ultimate authority on everything.  Everything you just ascribed to the rest of us who disagree with you can be laid equally at your own feet.  You respect my opinion about as much as you say I have respected yours.  You have called me irrational, emotional, and incapable of reasoning.  You have called me Pelosi.  You have turned and twisted and outright dismissed anything anyone tries to say in defense of their own position and pretty much closed your mind to legitimate discussion.  I have tried to redirect this topic numerous times back to the original statement, without success.  But I am not Prowler and I am not Chopper and I will not be sumamrily dismissed by you for having an opinion that disagrees with yours.  I am sure that will open me up to unrelated harassment in every single post I ever make on this board in any thread, but that can be dealt with.  THIS is why people get so damn tired of your schtick posted from atop your marble pedestal.  THIS is why I seldom read any of your posts in other threads anymore, because I know that no matter the topic, they reek of smug self-righteousness and your feelings of superiority.  And that gets old.

Your view of my meaning and intent is your problem.  I have no pedestal, only my strong and considered opinion. If the fact that I write well -- as I have been told -- causes you to perceive my commentary as haughty or smug, then please blame my teachers and my parents, for they are the ones who taught me to communicate in this way.

I feel nothing akin to superiority. Exercises like this are good for the mind.  They force us to defend the beliefs we hold and expose all of us to viewpoints different from our own.  I find them illuminating until and unless they are ruined by bullshit and insult (Chizad's only contribution thus far).

Legitimate discussion works both ways or have you forgotten that?  If my place here is to be lectured by you and Chizad (fucking joke, there) and whoever you deem "enlightened" about whatever topic, then that's not discussion whatsoever.  It's you (or whoever) speaking from YOuR pedestal.  Just because you choose to disagree does not make you right, nor does it make you more logical or more rational.  If all we get to hear is your fucking opinion with no opposition, that's not legitimate debate, that's you pontificating.  

If I disagree, I'm going to say so.  If you make what I consider to be a stupid argument, I'm going to point that out.  If you're an idiot -- well -- we've all been there.  

I respect your opinion on most things.  On this, I found you to be unhinged.  Perhaps that partly due to me ascribing intent to you that did not exist, but your tone (ah, good old AUN) in this thread reeked of shrill.  Sorry.  That shit gets old, too.

Poor me.  You don't read what I write.  Too bad.  Maybe you should.  

Don't expect you to read the Prowler debates, but those aren't staged for you.  Hey, if you don't like them change the fucking channel.  It's that simple, right?  

Where's VV with that fucking free speech flag?    

Sorry, K.  But I am not Prowler.  I won’t be baited and I won’t be reeled in.  I just know that I would hate to lose my job that I loved, the job that I trained for, the job that I performed well, just because someone disagreed with something about me I could not change.  Period.  If that makes me a hysterical Pelosi, then fine.  I’ll be sure not to sit next to you in church.

So it's fine for you to have your viewpoint, dismiss mine as narrow minded without provocation and then deem that you're being "baited" and "reeled in" when I respond? Sure.  That makes sense.  

If you don't want to lose that job?  Keep your personal business to yourself.  Simple proposition.  Your right to be gay, a hog fucker, or somebody who jerks off to pictures of Santa Claus extends only as far as not interfering with the morale, cohesiveness, efficiency and readiness of your group.  I don't believe in accommodating the one to the detriment of the many.  Even if it were me or my kid, I'd feel the same.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #145 on: February 05, 2010, 06:25:50 PM »
Your entire opening rant was shockingly malformed and failed to comprehend the issues as they were presented. 

Good try, Sancho. 

This really isn't your forte. 
Specifically. Show me the blathering ignorance.

Or just vaguely call into question my integrity and general intelligence because you don't know how to have a logical discussion like an adult.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2010, 06:28:27 PM »
Specifically. Show me the blathering ignorance.

Or just vaguely call into question my integrity and general intelligence because you don't know how to have a logical discussion like an adult.

You're the one that barged in here slinging insults, Sancho.  Do you really want me to go back and pull up that rant that should have heaped shame at your doorstep?

You wouldn't know an adult if one fucked you up the ass. 

Moving on. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2010, 06:33:25 PM »
You're the one that barged in here slinging insults, Sancho.  Do you really want me to go back and pull up that rant that should have heaped shame at your doorstep?

You wouldn't know an adult if one fucked you up the ass. 

Moving on. 
Translation: I can't refute what you said so I'll continue to vaguely attack you personally.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2010, 06:45:57 PM »
Okay, but remember you asked for it, okay?  

Fuck off because you can't refute this. To maintain that typical white trash dumbshit trailer park bammer, or ghetto ignorant welfare recipient, are more intelligent than even the typical homosexual, let alone the ones Jen mentioned, is narrow minded and simply ignorant.

Hyperbole.  Baseless conjecture and taken out of context.  Insult.  

Most homosexuals fight with themselves and attempt to resist the urges??? Really? Take a poll and let's see how many homosexuals wish to be "cured". I guara-fuckin-tee you, you will get less than one percent that do. Then lets take a poll and see how many sickle-cell anemia patients wish to be cured. That's why we're curing one and not the other. In fact, you'll probably find more people that wish to have their blue eyes "cured" than their homosexuality.

Hyperbole again.  You're making assumptions that have no basis in fact. Taking your own viewpoint and assuming a majority supports you.  Assume.  

If such a poll exists, show me.  Unless it does, this is nothing but hot air and hysteria.

This is fucking laughable. Again you say that homosexuals are "mongoloids" and compare their minds to the mind of a child that is incapable of reason or common sense. Clearly most of them have more than you do.

Wrong. Failure to understand what was written and correctly apply the comparisons.  Nobody said homosexuals were mongoloids or that they had the mind of a child.  You failed to comprehend what was written.  

Wrong. If it is discovered that they are gay, not that they are wearing assless chaps and feather head dresses in the line of fire and try to rape their cohorts in the barracks, just that they're gay...they're canned. If someone spreads a false rumor about someone being gay...they're gone.
The fact that you've never met a gay person makes you ignorant to the issue. Clearly you view homosexuals as sub-human. This is the same narrow mindedness that extreme racists in bumfuck country towns use. They've never met a black man, so it's easy to dehumanize them.

Wrong again.  You make assumptions about me and my position without knowing the first thing.  Never met a gay person?  Ridiculous.  

It's not my place -- nor is it yours -- to substitute your judgement for that of the military leaders who made these decisions.  You may not agree, but the rules were put in place for a reason.  

Then YOU make the illogical leap that I view homosexuals as subhuman -- that pesky habit of taking your own warped interpretation and applying it to others.  Not only did I never say that, I never even hinted at it.  It's patently ridiculous.  

Nothing you said in that opening rant had any basis in reality as to this discussion or the viewpoints expressed here.  It was, as I said, a shockingly malformed and uninformed rant that added absolutely zero to the conversation but your own hysteria.  
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 06:46:50 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2010, 07:19:17 PM »
I just know that I would hate to lose my job that I loved, the job that I trained for, the job that I performed well, just because someone disagreed with something about me I could not change. 
And, this has happened how many times?  You act as though this is an everyday occurrence, yet we haven't discussed any real cases or situations at all.  Just a bunch of hypothetical mumbo-jumbo bullscat!!!  I'm just so thrilled that so many of the folks here are so accepting of the homosexual lifestyle.  I hope that one day I can be as enlightened, superior and arrogant as them.  I mean to force your concepts of fairness and equality on people...  Wow... 

This whole thing disgusts me.  At this point, it's not so much homosexuals serving in the military, but the willingness by others to force people into situations like this.  I mean seriously... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2010, 07:47:02 PM »
Hyperbole.  Baseless conjecture and taken out of context.  Insult.  

How is that hyperbolas or conjecture taken out of context. Insult? Narrow minded is an insult? I even provided a definition. It fits your argument to a T. Hell, it fits damn near everything you ever post on this forum.

Again, the definition:
1.    having or showing a prejudiced mind, as persons or opinions; biased.
2.    not receptive to new ideas; having a closed mind.
3.    extremely conservative and morally self-righteous

Your inability to empathize even in the most basic way with a homosexual person covers the first definition. Your constant implications that homosexuals are weak minded even more strongly solidifies this. Not receptive to new ideas. Before this thread existed, it's been rehashed a million times that that is your M.O. You still think Chizik is a blathering idiot, and Jacobs made the worst hire in college football history. Extremely conservative? Check. Morally self-righteous? Can you be any more morally self-righteous than you have been in this thread? With your Bible verses, and your constant tirades about how homosexuality is an immoral sin.
I oppose homosexuality for religious and moral reasons.
I don't accept it.  It's a deviant behavior no different from child molestation or fucking a corpse. 
But don't deign to call me narrow minded or unenlightened because I reject your bohemian morality.
Is this not what 90% of this thread has contained? Not about the issue itself. How being a homosexual makes you less able to serve in the military. You know that's a futile battle. So your rail on why you oppose the homosexual lifestyle on principle.

Hyperbole again.  You're making assumptions that have no basis in fact. Taking your own viewpoint and assuming a majority supports you.  Assume.  

If such a poll exists, show me.  Unless it does, this is nothing but hot air and hysteria.
You're the one that brought up the idea that homosexuals wish to be cured. You really want me to find a fucking study to refute that? Since you're the one that doesn't know a single homosexual, I'm sure you're the authority on what the homosexual community thinks. The idea that you are calling this statement hyperbole is beyond belief.

If most homosexuals wish to be cured, then what are you bitching about? Are they parading around in your face about how you should accept their homosexuality or begging for medical attention? This claim is purely asinine. Go ahead. Ask a homosexual if they wish to be cured. A genuine homosexual. I will pay you $10,000 if they reply "Golly, that'd be great if I could finally get rid of my gayness!"

Wrong. Failure to understand what was written and correctly apply the comparisons.  Nobody said homosexuals were mongoloids or that they had the mind of a child.  You failed to comprehend what was written.
Oh, so it must have been someone else who said:
You make verbose arguments, but they still fail the test of nature.  Would you allow mongoloids to determine if they wanted to be "cured"?
That you would attempt to point out the happy mongoloid children who don't want to be cured of their defects as evidence that gays shouldn't have the option to become normal is absolutely fucking laughable.  When my daughter was five she wanted to be a dolphin. She didn't have the mental faculties to reason beyond that.  I guess I should have let her just go be a happy dolphin, then since she had relatively the same cognitive skills as the average adult with mongoloidism. And you ignore the multitude of additional mental and physical defects that affect mongoloids.
You are clearly suggesting that homosexuals are not able to think for themselves and consent to treatment in the same way as mongoloids and children.

You went on to say:
The last time I checked, sexual proclivities were not an indicator of intelligence or reasoning.

Last time I checked, they were.

Bama man and woman are intelligent enough to know what their equipment is designed for. 

Genesis 1:28 
And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

In their sad, pathetic existence, they are replenishing the earth.

But yes, if you choose something unnatural and perverted, yeah I've got questions about your ability to reason.  Sure as fuck do.
Play "I never said that" all you want, but it's littered throughout this entire thread.

Wrong again.  You make assumptions about me and my position without knowing the first thing.  Never met a gay person?  Ridiculous.  
You get caught up in semantics. I suppose I should have said you've never "gotten to know a gay person."
If I have any gay friends, I'm not aware of it.  I would choose not to because I don't approve of that particular choice, have no interest in being exposed to it and certainly don't want it portrayed to my family as a normal alternative.  I've known gay people at places I worked and I avoided interacting with them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2010, 08:25:18 PM »
Ok, since I am irrational and hysterical, let's try posting something I didn't write:

Conversations I’ve held with service members make clear that, while the military remains a traditional culture, that tradition no longer requires banning open service by gays. There will undoubtedly be some teething pains, but I have no doubt our leadership can handle it.
– Gen. John Shalikashvili, former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

You don’t have to be straight in the military; you just have to be able to shoot straight.
– Sen. Barry Goldwater (Damn, he is a Pelosi!!)

You can add to this list of people unopposed to gays in the military the current CJCOS, as well as the current SecDef and retired General and former CJCOS Collin Powell.  Pinko Commie Liberals, all.

...more than 265 service members have been discharged on the basis of this discriminatory, outmoded, and counterproductive policy since Obama took office. Furthermore, the policy has deterred untold others who want to defend their country from serving. Gary Gates, a senior research fellow at the UCLA School of Law, found that if the proportion of gay men in the military was allowed to rise to equal that in the general population, “the military could raise their numbers by an estimated 41,000 men.”

DADT has resulted in the discharge of more than 13,000 patriotic and highly qualified men and women since its enactment more than 16 years ago. At least 1,000 of these 13,000 have held “critical occupations,” such as interpreters and engineers. Moreover, approximately 4,000 service members leave the service voluntarily per year because of this policy.

For example, by the end of fiscal year 2003, a few months after the fall of Baghdad, the military had forced out more than 320 service members with vital language skills such as Arabic and Farsi. These are the very critical specialties in which the military continues to face personnel shortfalls. Meanwhile, the Army and Marine Corps have been forced to significantly lower their moral and aptitude standards in order to overcome recruitment shortfalls. Perhaps most troubling is the fact that the military has at the same time granted so-called “moral waivers” to thousands of new recruits, including people with felony convictions. (TW NOTE:  Would you rather share a barracks with a guy that might be checking out your ass, or one that has a proven record of felony theft??  One with mental fantasies about you in the shower or one that might wait until you are in the shower to steal your DVD player?)

But unlike 16 years ago, “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” is no longer supported by the majority of the American people, nor is it even supported by a majority of service men and women.  Numerous public opinion polls within American civilian society over the past decade have noted a substantial increase in the acceptance of openly gay men and women serving in the military. Polls of men and women in the armed forces have shown a similar increase.  For example, a 2006 Zogby International poll of returning Iraq and Afghanistan veterans found that 73 percent were personally comfortable around gays and lesbians.

There is also no credible evidence supporting the underlying arguments for retaining the law—namely that it would undermine unit cohesion and military effectiveness. Even architects of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” have acknowledged that the policy was “‘based on nothing’ but ‘our own prejudices and our own fears.’” As Dr. Nathaniel Frank, perhaps the foremost authority on the military’s current policy on gay troops and author of the seminal study on the issue, Unfriendly Fire: How the Gay Ban Undermines the Military and Weakens America, has noted, “The ban on openly gay service was not based on sound research because no research has ever shown that openly gay service hurts the military.” Indeed, the experiences of our allies, as documented as long ago as 1993 in a Government Accountability Office study, show that allowing gays in the military “is not an issue and has not created problems in the functioning of military units”

LinkLink
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:38:50 PM by Tiger Wench »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2010, 08:46:52 PM »
Also?  That original link?  Was written by a CONSERVATIVE WOMAN - one who typically writes about guns and how much she hates liberals.  She is linked to by many of the conservative bloggers I read.  However, she has caught about as much crap as I have about her opinion, so I thought it only fair to post her rebuttal.  Emphasis mine.

Since the debate raging in the comments seems to be taking on some common threads and arguments, it’ll be more productive (and less exhausting) for me to address them up here and clarify my own argument and position more. I am paraphrasing; if you think a fundamental point was missed then feel free to quibble, but if you’re just upset I stated the logic being used in an unflattering fashion, feel less free.

1. “We can’t have openly gay soldiers/female soldiers because of the possibility of sexual misconduct and damaged unit cohesion.”

Hello? We already have tons of sexual misconduct that damages unit cohesion, readiness, and morale among the heterosexual male soldiers. Soldiers sleep with the locals and have dramas about whose girlfriend is whose. Soldiers sleep with somebody else’s wife. It used to be that STDs from soldiers screwing prostitutes was a major source of attrition in wartime before effective treatments and preventions were invented, sometimes a bigger one than actual casualties from enemy action. Now that’s what I call damaged readiness and morale. But we don’t boot out heterosexual male soldiers for this unless it’s really egregious, because it’s assumed that shit happens and people will get stupid over sex. If a policy punishes heterosexual sexual misconduct that causes the exact same kinds of damage proportionately, but bars gay people entirely or throws them out over it, it is blatantly discriminatory and for no good reason at all. Hell, given the grotesque ratio of female soldiers that report being raped by their fellow soldiers versus the actual prosecution of rapes, I would be waving fucking pom-poms over punishing sexual misconduct more often and more harshly regardless of the genital arrangements in question*.

2. “We shouldn’t have gay soldiers because the straight soldiers will be forced to share showers and bathrooms with them”.

Look, I get the argument about how we shouldn’t be forced to be naked with people who might ogle us and how this is why there are separate facilities for the women and the men. But the thing is, we are not actually arguing about whether we should have gay people in the military at all. I hate to break it to y’all, but that particular culture war was lost before you were even aware it existed. Thanks to the fundamentally dishonest nature of that closet some people think was such a marvelous social institution, there have been gay people in the military since Alexander the Great sashayed across a battlefield and probably before him, too. ASM’s post puts this more clearly than I could ever hope to, but the fact that the policy is named “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” should be more than enough all on its own. There have always been gay people showering with the straight people, quite a lot of them. The only way to even begin to effectively keep them out would be to screen a showing of “Big Hot Studs Having Naughty Fun” for recruits and check for stiffies, and even then some with the good self-control they need to get through public life would slip in. (And it wouldn’t even work on the lesbians, who by now should be sought out by the military specifically in order to further stealth technology research.)

Because of this little factoid, especially since DADT was made policy, the people who are fighting DADT’s repeal aren’t actually fighting for protecting soldiers from prurient gazes in the showers. They’re fighting for the privilege of punishing people for ruining their comfortable illusions. Not for sexual harassment or assault. Not for *actually* leering in the shower. For, intentionally or by complete accident, making it impossible for someone to continue assuming everyone in the shower is as completely uninterested in penis as he is. For that, under the current arrangement, Private Peckerhead can destroy the career of Private Peterpetter if said Peckerhead manages to catch the latter giving a good-night kiss to his boyfriend on his own time away from the rest of the unit no matter his attempts to keep his sexuality irrelevant from his duty. This is also why I will not apologize for the tone of my previous post: the argument is that our soldiers need illusions, and the capacity to aggressively punish people that disillusion them, in order to function.

This is, by the way, why I have no respect for the argument that DADT is just fine because people don’t “have” to declare their sexual identity and it’s inappropriate for them to do so. Gay soldiers don’t just have to not shove being gay in other people’s faces, they are OBLIGATED to lie, omit, and sneak in order to make sure that no one realizes it by accident, either. I like to keep what I do in my bedroom private, and prefer that other people do too in most contexts, but I am also never forced to pretend I’m not married to my husband and would find it intolerable if I were.

The fact of the matter is, the degree of gender separation in our society and the existence of homosexuality and bisexuality means that just about everyone reading this has, at some time or another, been in a public space where nudity is accepted with someone who was attracted to their gender. Been in the showers at the gym? Yep. In school? Yep. Sauna? Yep. None of those places have “no gays” policies and couldn’t enforce them if they did, and asserting that you have the right to never be found attractive nude is absurd. Gay and bisexual men and women learn not to stare and make people uncomfortable, and if they choose to ignore that training, that falls under harassment again, which is already not okay.

Lastly, I keep hearing that the fallout from “gays in the military” will cause all sorts of chaos, but all the realities I have just laid out should make it clear that the experiment has already been running for decades and all this lost readiness and destroyed morale simply hasn’t come to pass. Reading people sincerely arguing this is, to me, like reading impassioned editorials in the local newsrag about how allowing open carry will cause blood in the streets and wild west scenarios, with a concealed gun on my belt and a concealed carry permit in my pocket. Somehow, because it’s “open”, people will completely lose their minds and all their social training and just start eyefucking people in the shower shooting everyone that looks funny at them.)TW NOTE:  GREAT analogy)

3. “We shouldn’t allow equal rights and opportunities to minorities because then minorities might try for special rights.”

Thank you for reminding me that many minorities are reflexively suspicious of conservative motivations because they have excellent fucking reason to be. Sometimes I forget this for whole hours at a stretch.

Nobody has the right to significantly damage someone else’s life because you’d prefer not to have to ever think about them.[/u]

*And because I KNOW somebody is going to trot this out on me as though it diminished my argument, yes, I think female soldiers who get pregnant from consensual dalliances during their tour of duty should be punished in some fashion. Do something stupid and preventable, take the consequences, not a Get Out Of Service Free card.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2010, 09:13:40 PM »
Quote from: Chad somewhere on page 6
If someone spreads a false rumor about someone being gay...they're gone.
Not true. The military justice system does rely on evidence derived from investigation.

Quote from: CCTAU back on page 6
I don't think anyone is saying that they cannot do the job and should not serve at all (at least I'm not). What I am saying is that you have no reference point in which to make a good assessment of the issue. Yes, you served for 22 years, but those years served were under the current policy of DADT (or total ban). Under this policy, any gays had to be private with their sexuality. Many may have "supposed" someone was gay, but unless it was pushed in everyone's faces, no one cared because it was kept PRIVATE. Doing away with DADT would open up the flood gates for many gay activists to join just to SHOW everyone. And that would cause much upheaval.

Imagine having to deal with that. After several years it might subside, but then you still would have a small group making a larger group uncomfortable. What we have now is the privilege for any gay individual to serve in the US military as long as their personal choices do not cause any issues. With DADT, these individuals MUST focus on the job and not their sexuality. If this changes, then a whole new set of limits will need to be set. And as we have seen in public, there will always be a part of that society who will make a HUGE point of letting everyone know that they are gay. DADT should stay exactly the way it is. It has worked for many years and will continue to work just fine. Gays make up a small amount percentage of society and the military. This issue is exactly what many of us are sick of. We are being forced to recognize a bastardization of social choices as normal.
The UCMJ and uniform regulations would keep this from happening. Every facet of our life, all the way down to what clothing worn off duty is allowable, is covered in detail and strictly enforced.

By your argument, what keeps the racists from wearing clothing that supports their hatred for people of different ethnicities? There are racists in the ranks. The same holds true for homosexuals in the service. They're serving now, but I have never seen one wearing assless chaps or Indian headresses either on or off duty.

These guys and gals conform to the regulations, and that would never change regardless of the decision.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2010, 09:16:36 PM »
11 pages and 154 replies on this thread thus far.

Am I the only motherfucker on this board that has a job?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Tiger Wench

« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2010, 09:20:44 PM »

I spent most of this week sitting in my recliner, reading blogs and starting shitstorms, in between naps.

However, I go back to work on Monday.  Game over.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2010, 08:04:16 AM »

I thought this was our job. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2010, 08:37:34 AM »
I thought this was our job. 

You mean everyone isn't getting paid to be here? 

Damn. Why the hell would you stick around?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2010, 08:57:35 AM »
How is that hyperbolas or conjecture taken out of context. Insult? Narrow minded is an insult? I even provided a definition. It fits your argument to a T. Hell, it fits damn near everything you ever post on this forum.

In reverse, it also fits every argument YOU post.  You could use the same definition to pigeonhole everyone who has an opinion.  

You, Chizad, do not get to determine what is or isn't.  

Again, the definition:
Your inability to empathize even in the most basic way with a homosexual person covers the first definition. Your constant implications that homosexuals are weak minded even more strongly solidifies this. Not receptive to new ideas. Before this thread existed, it's been rehashed a million times that that is your M.O. You still think Chizik is a blathering idiot, and Jacobs made the worst hire in college football history. Extremely conservative? Check. Morally self-righteous? Can you be any more morally self-righteous than you have been in this thread? With your Bible verses, and your constant tirades about how homosexuality is an immoral sin.Is this not what 90% of this thread has contained? Not about the issue itself. How being a homosexual makes you less able to serve in the military. You know that's a futile battle. So your rail on why you oppose the homosexual lifestyle on principle.
You're the one that brought up the idea that homosexuals wish to be cured. You really want me to find a fucking study to refute that? Since you're the one that doesn't know a single homosexual, I'm sure you're the authority on what the homosexual community thinks. The idea that you are calling this statement hyperbole is beyond belief.

One Bible verse and a simple statement that I believe in God makes me self-righteous?  Again, this is the kind of hyperbole and hysteria that epitomizes the inability to have legitimate discussion in today's society.  

The expression of my opinion constitutes "railing" and "tirades."  But the posts of those who happen to agree with you -- many of which were extremely lengthy and convoluted -- are neither railing nor tirade?  Your tooth-chipping, insult-laden rant was not a "tirade" considering that it went completely against the essentially calm and rational discussion that was taking place between ADULTS who understand that there are two sides to every issue and who were calmly and rationally exploring both sides?  

When was the last time I criticized Chizik or Jacobs even (except as it pertains to Lebo)?  I still think the hire was bad, but I told you that would never change.  Everybody on earth thought the hire was bad except Jacobs and Chizik and a bunch of Bama fans.  That's not a difficult concept to grasp. Do I think Chizik is the long-term answer?  Not really.  We don't have nearly enough evidence yet to make that decision. It's early yet.  But I haven't said anything negative in a while.  Your own signature, in fact, shows that I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in the coming year considering the task he faces where many of you are toting around grandiose and unrealistic expectations. YOUR mind is set in terms of what you think I believe and YOU miss the changes, subtle as they may be.  

So it's only narrow minded, self-righteous and a tirade if it doesn't agree with YOUR (also narrow) view.  I'm with you so far.  

If most homosexuals wish to be cured, then what are you bitching about? Are they parading around in your face about how you should accept their homosexuality or begging for medical attention? This claim is purely asinine. Go ahead. Ask a homosexual if they wish to be cured. A genuine homosexual. I will pay you $10,000 if they reply "Golly, that'd be great if I could finally get rid of my gayness!"

Can't speak for all, but there are certainly some.  Otherwise there wouldn't be outreach programs that attempt to help "cure" them or find ways to suppress.  The suicide rate for teens who consider themselves to be gay or are conflicted about that issue is (from what I've read) about four times the rate for non-gay.  If there were no issue, you'd think this wouldn't be the case.  

If there WERE a means to reverse it and make their sexual urges "normal" ( by my definition ) you have no idea whatsoever how many might accept that option.  You're taking the opinion of the militant few who claim to speak for the "gay community" and applying it universally.  In comparison that's like saying Al Sharpton speaks for all blacks.  

As I've said hundreds (probably thousands) of times in this thread, I don't care what they do so long as they don't make a public issue out of it.  It's the demand that their lifestyle be accepted as normal or natural that disturbs me.

Okay, so if YOU make up a statement that you claim speaks for all gays -- and do so without any basis in fact -- that's reasonable.  If I use statistical information to make a reasonable assumption (higher suicide rates = emotional conflict = maybe some don't want to be what they think they are) then it's "purely asinine."  

Okay, I see what you're doing there, too.  

Oh, so it must have been someone else who said:You are clearly suggesting that homosexuals are not able to think for themselves and consent to treatment in the same way as mongoloids and children.

You went on to say: Play "I never said that" all you want, but it's littered throughout this entire thread.
You get caught up in semantics. I suppose I should have said you've never "gotten to know a gay person."

You're still hung up on that?  

A) The context was whether homosexuality was a genetic defect.  Mongoloidism was used as a comparison because it is.  Could just as easily have chosen harelip or something else genetic.  

B) Something is wrong with people who are mongoloid, the asinine characterization of all mongoloids as happy little people aside.   So back to context.  Something is also wrong with homosexuals (in my opinion).  If you can change that orientation by changing the genetic makeup, I'd support that just as I'd support a genetic solution to mongoloidism or any other issue.   It's a logical stretch -- and one used merely to add hyperbole -- to suggest that in making this statement, I've said homosexuals are mongoloid.  

C) If homosexuality is not genetic and is a choice then yes, I do question the cognitive abilities of someone who would make that choice.  It goes against everything I know and understand.  It is unnatural and perverse (in my book).   But you can't get from C to A without making connections that don't exist anywhere but in your mind.  

You've made the claim here several times that "I don't know anybody who's gay."   I've said several times that I have a cousin who is gay.  My uncle's daughter.  My favorite uncle and the guy I was named after.  

In case you were unable to comprehend, since saying that I've had TW churlishly claim that "she doubts my cousin misses being around me."  Fuck her.  Not her place to say. None of you know what our relationship is or was like.  But that's another story.  So I've got family members who are gay.  I've had co-workers who are gay.  I probably have at least one gay employee.   I prefer not to socialize with them if their sexual choice is going to be part of the dynamic.  Because I find it offensive, I will choose not to be in situations where it becomes an issue.  Free speech, remember?  I have that right.  It's why my cousin doesn't bring her "other" to family functions. She understands that it would be awkward.

For TW or anybody to comment on my relationship with my family really shows their true colors.  

So here, we have the fact that you don't even know what you're talking about, you're making broad assumptions without any basis in reality and you're making puzzling logical leaps and bounds by playing fast and loose with what was said.  

And somehow that makes me crazy?  

Yeah.  Whatever.  

When you make irrational arguments like this, Chizad, it only entrenches me.  You're not interested in healthy debate no matter what you think.  You're not interested in it at all.  You, like far too many, don't have the capacity for it.  There are times I don't.  This wasn't one of them.  I found the points made by Vandy Vol to be extremely thought provoking.  Not enough to change my opinion, but it takes a lot.  I thoroughly enjoyed that discussion because he forced me to defend my thinking -- and did so with intelligence, a lack of hyperbole and without resorting to character or personal insults. Maybe you missed it, but he didn't get any of that back, either.  Hmmm.   Best discussion I've had on this board, IMO.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2010, 11:09:53 AM »
Also?  That original link?  Was written by a CONSERVATIVE WOMAN - one who typically writes about guns and how much she hates liberals.  She is linked to by many of the conservative bloggers I read.  However, she has caught about as much crap as I have about her opinion, so I thought it only fair to post her rebuttal.  Emphasis mine. 

She's still Nuckin' Futs!  DADT was and is absolutely stupid.  I don't disagree, but I do disagree with you folks for being so willing to force your concepts of fairness and equality on others.  The homosexual thing doesn't really bother me that much anymore, but if I end up in close-quarters with homosexuals, outside of the military, I have a choice to remove myself or avoid the situation altogether.  In the military, you don't have those choices, and we have absolutely no right to force our soldiers into these uncomfortable situations to satisfy your pathetic fetish with "fairness and equality" for all.  Period!

What if your child's teacher distributed the "Heather has Two Mommies" and "My Two Daddies" booklets to your young children as required reading material for a school assignment?  (I know...  You're not going to see the connection, but that connection is my biggest issue with all of this.) 

DADT has resulted in the discharge of more than 13,000 patriotic and highly qualified men and women since its enactment more than 16 years ago. At least 1,000 of these 13,000 have held “critical occupations,” such as interpreters and engineers. 

Boo-hoo-hoo!!!  It's not fair!  Whaaaah!!!  Even when you add up all of the numbers, you're still talking about a tiny fraction of a single percentage of everyone who serves.  Big F'n deal!!!   :taunt:

Multipliers more are discharged every year for various medical conditions.  They're just as "patriotic and highly qualified" as the next guy.  And, many don't necessarily want to leave, but that's not as important as letting fudge-packers serve in the military... 

By the way, outside of the military, most of us can be terminated by our employer for just about any reason at any time.  Sure, EEOC protects you against blatant outright "dithcriminathun", but a reason for termination is not always necessary.  Just something to think about...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand