C-I-L, my landlord.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
Re: Man Up - Repealing "Don't Ask Don't Tell "
« Reply #281 on: March 09, 2010, 07:10:19 PM »
Takes more than a mommas love unlike that gutter slut Taylor you are use to.

I wish I knew how to quit him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #282 on: March 09, 2010, 10:55:58 PM »
Your pickin' up what I'm puttin' down.
Cut me some slack Jack, Chump don't want na' help, don't get na' help, you a jive ass turkey anyway!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #283 on: March 11, 2010, 12:40:45 PM »
"Integration being mishandled" is a lot different than "integration was the down fall of our modern school system".

The first leaves room for discussion. The second sounds like a racist ass hat.

That is exactly how I saw his statement. Of course we always have those that jump on the first statement that even looks like it might put a brutha down.

Integration in education was the beginning of the downfall of our educational system. However, it was not integration within itself, it was how it was implemented.

They are using the same tactic today with universal health care.

Instead of insuring that those in need are afforded the same opportunities at the same levels everyone else, they do not attempt to bring the needy up, but the system down. SO instead of holding to the standards that were already in place in the supposedly better white schools, the requirements were dropped for everyone so that the small amount of minorities could be seen as functioning at the same level as the whites. Had we implemented it to the point in which everyone had to function at the higher level or stay where you were until you could, then we would have had only one generation of minorities that took longer to finish school. Then every one would have been on the higher track. Instead we dumbed down the education system in an effort to give the impression that everything was equal.

SO in order to make sure that the 10-15% of Americans that cannot afford health care get theirs, the whole system that is functioning well (not great) today has to get knocked down to basic care. That way we are all equal to the least fortunate/unlucky/lazy/oppressed of us.

Did integration of the military have the same effect? I'm not sure. As long as individuals were promoted according to merit, then I don't think it had the same effect. But as soon as you mandate promotion according to racial percentages, then yes, you degraded the quality of the military. I have no idea if that was done or not, but that is the only way I could see it causing an issue.

But to equate gays with blacks in terms of rights is ridiculous.

Nobody I have talked to that has their job consist of living in a foxhole for days at a time, wants to worry about whether the guy next to him is gay. They do not want to know or have to deal with it. The issue of DADT is just another smokescreen to keep us off track and to promote the librul agenda that the dims are known for.

If they want to screw with it, then have an all gay division. We'll even let them go in  first.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
« Reply #284 on: March 11, 2010, 03:09:32 PM »
...If they want to screw with it, then have an all gay division. We'll even let them go in  first.

Most of the stuff in this thread is ridiculus.

This, however, made me chortle, almost a guffaw.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #285 on: March 11, 2010, 04:47:12 PM »
Most of the stuff in this thread is ridiculus.

This, however, made me chortle, almost a guffaw.

Well. With all of the trepidation surrounding this decision, I didn't think anyone would want them bringing up the rear.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #286 on: March 12, 2010, 08:05:40 PM »
The infection rates are higher, there is no doubt about that.  Nonetheless, the incubation period is the same in every person regardless of sexual preference.  If they have deemed that an annual inspection is sufficient to detect HIV/AIDS, then it's sufficient for everyone.  And while homosexuals may make up the majority of HIV/AIDS cases, it's still just as feasible for a heterosexual to contract HIV/AIDS sometime between annual screenings.  Thus, if you view the annual screening as insufficient for homosexuals, then it's just as insufficient for heterosexuals.  
I would consider that to be a leap of faith at best...  Your rationalization is based on too many assumptions.  If your logic was reasonable, why would the CDC recommend outright vaccination for Hepatitis in the gay community?  It seems that if infection rates are accelerated for a subset that participates in risky behavior, you'd want to screen more often.  The "incubation periods" don't reset themselves at the annual screenings.  Look...  I don't have the answer here.  It was only a suggested consequence that some may not be adequately considering.  It seems to be a significant risk whenever the government experiments with society... like affirmative action eroding educational standards and EEOC handicapping capitalism.

The current status quo would still apply to those examples that you mentioned.  For instance, because homosexuals are a minority in relation to the entire population, the military would still be predominantly heterosexual.  Additionally, the Air Force already requires Hepatitis vaccinations, and all branches require Hepatitis vaccinations when deploying to most areas, as well as for those members who are "high risk occupational groups."

Another leap...  So, since vaccinations may already be required for some, that makes it ok?  This doesn't make any sense to me.  
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 08:31:43 PM by GarMan »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

GarMan

« Reply #287 on: March 12, 2010, 08:07:58 PM »

Wow...  Sharing your PRIDE pics again?  "You people" have no shame. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

GarMan

« Reply #288 on: March 12, 2010, 08:17:32 PM »
GarMan's initial contention was concerning social experimentation.  He has recently shifted to the medical aspect of the discussion.  Of course, this isn't to say that the social experimentation aspect is no longer an argument of his; I'm sure that it is. 
Wait a minute...  The medical aspect of this is very much part of the social experimentation argument. 

If the military is not a social organization, then they're not concerned with the level of comfort that males have or don't have with other members of their unit.  There are racist people in the military.  Regardless, you don't see the federal government conducting surveys to determine if every guy is comfortable sitting in a foxhole with a Korean.
  Comparing a subculture's sexual practices and other deviant behaviors to individual thoughts/beliefs makes no sense to me. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #289 on: March 12, 2010, 08:21:55 PM »
This is who we're dealing with.

Oh yeah, and we're the ignorant ones. 
Nah...  You're the "enlightened" ones...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #290 on: March 12, 2010, 09:42:08 PM »
I would consider that to be a leap of faith at best...  Your rationalization is based on too many assumptions.  If your logic was reasonable, why would the CDC recommend outright vaccination for Hepatitis in the gay community?

They also recommended that children in certain states get the Hepatitis vaccine, as well as other individuals they deemed as high risk for a variety of reasons.  Regardless of why they recommend it, the fact still stands that the incubation period for such diseases and viruses are the same in heterosexuals as they are in homosexuals.

It seems that if infection rates are accelerated for a subset that participates in risky behavior, you'd want to screen more often.  The "incubation periods" don't reset themselves at the annual screenings.

This is a conclusion that is based upon incorrect assumptions derived from statistics that do not indicate anything about acceleration.  You've assumed that the infection rate is "accelerated;" this suggests that they somehow contract HIV/AIDS quicker than other individuals.  This is simply not the case.  A homosexual does not develop HIV/AIDS any more quickly than anyone else.

The statistics only show that homosexuals make up the majority of HIV/AIDS cases.  It does not show that there is some sort of acceleration.  Blacks are more likely to have sickle cell anemia, but we don't simply turn them away from the military, nor do we assume that they contract it quicker merely because the disease is more prominent in blacks.  They are screened like everyone else, and despite the fact that someone with sickle cell trait may develop sickle cell anemia later, they can still enter the military and are screened annually just like everyone else.

Another leap...  So, since vaccinations may already be required for some, that makes it ok?  This doesn't make any sense to me.  

My point was that vaccines are already required in certain branches, and are required of virtually all deployed military members.  Thus, when we're at war with at-risk countries (which we've been doing off and on since the 50's), vaccines are required of all deployed military members.  The presence of homosexuals is not going to suddenly require the number of vaccines to skyrocket, as we've had to vaccinate the majority of military members due to frequent deployment of most military members since the 50's.

Nonetheless, let's look at your contention that more homosexuals = more Hepatitis, and more Hepatitis = more Hepatitis vaccines.  There is an initial screening when you join the military.  If you have Hepatitis, then you don't get in; vaccines don't cure all types of Hepatitis, and even for the ones that can be cured, you're not allowed in the military if you previously had Hepatitis.  After being screened and deemed to be healthy enough for the military, you are given the same screenings and the same vaccines as everyone else.  Again, the incubation period for any disease or virus is going to be the same in anyone.  If it's sufficient to annually screen heterosexuals to determine if they've contracted any disease or virus, then it's sufficient for homosexuals as well.

Let's also not forget another important factor.  If you contract Hepatitis after being enlisted six months or less, you will be medically discharged.  If you contracted the disease after being in more than six months, you will be allowed to stay in until you can no longer perform your duties.  Thus, if homosexuals truly do contract Hepatitis at some warp speed, then they'll be medically discharged and no medical bills for vaccines or anything else are paid for by the military.  Again, that is their current policy which effectively deals with everyone, including homosexuals.

As I've mentioned before, if the medical screenings and current medical policies for military members are as faulty as you claim, then we've already got a serious issue without even introducing homosexuals.  Speaking of the introduction of homosexuals to the military, homosexuals have already been "introduced;" they just can't be open about their sexuality.  Unless I've missed something on the news, there has not been some rampant outbreak of Hepatitis and HIV/AIDS which required millions of dollars to treat all of the infected soldiers.  Nor have there been outbreaks in countries which allow homosexuals to openly serve.

Diseases are diseases; if we can't efficiently screen them in homosexuals, then we can't efficiently screen them in heterosexuals.  A straight sailor on leave can catch a disease between annual screenings just like anyone else.  In fact, military members on leave are probably in a higher risk category than your "average" individual who has not spent elongated periods of time away from the opposite sex.  Some people view promiscuity and adultery as deviant behavior, too.  Maybe we should give a morality test before entering the military so as to further reduce any chances of infection?  That seems to be along the lines of what you're advocating.

Wait a minute...  The medical aspect of this is very much part of the social experimentation argument.

Your medical argument, as you've presented it in recent posts, dealt with the costs and medical risks of introducing homosexual soldiers.

Comparing a subculture's sexual practices and other deviant behaviors to individual thoughts/beliefs makes no sense to me.  

There was no comparison between the two, other than to say that many people are uncomfortable with being in X situation (such as the military) with a variety of types of people.  The point that I was making is that the military isn't concerned with how comfortable you are with the guy next to you.  This point continues to be made by others when they state that the military isn't a social organization that bends to the whims and preferences of homosexuals.  Yet at the same time, many of those same people keep bringing up the fact that heterosexuals may not like being around homosexuals in the military.

The two statements are contradictory.  Either the military does cater to individual's preferences on who they would like to serve with or it doesn't.  If it does, then the military should take a poll and ask whether homosexuals should serve (as was already suggested by someone else).  Additionally, they might as well take a poll and ask if X, Y and Z ethnicities can serve.  Afterall, racists exist in the military, and if we're going to make sure everyone's comfortable in the military, then we've got to poll them, too.  On the other hand, if they don't cater to individuals' preferences and comfort levels, then it shouldn't matter what Harold Hetero thinks of Gary Gay sitting next to him.  You either get to eat your cake or you get to look at it on the plate, not both.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 09:49:46 PM by Vandy Vol »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

GarMan

« Reply #291 on: March 14, 2010, 11:08:50 PM »
They also recommended that children in certain states get the Hepatitis vaccine, as well as other individuals they deemed as high risk for a variety of reasons.  Regardless of why they recommend it, the fact still stands that the incubation period for such diseases and viruses are the same in heterosexuals as they are in homosexuals.
I've got nothing...  They?  I've got nothing...

This is a conclusion that is based upon incorrect assumptions derived from statistics that do not indicate anything about acceleration.  You've assumed that the infection rate is "accelerated;" this suggests that they somehow contract HIV/AIDS quicker than other individuals.  This is simply not the case.  A homosexual does not develop HIV/AIDS any more quickly than anyone else.

The statistics only show that homosexuals make up the majority of HIV/AIDS cases.  It does not show that there is some sort of acceleration.  Blacks are more likely to have sickle cell anemia, but we don't simply turn them away from the military, nor do we assume that they contract it quicker merely because the disease is more prominent in blacks.  They are screened like everyone else, and despite the fact that someone with sickle cell trait may develop sickle cell anemia later, they can still enter the military and are screened annually just like everyone else.
You're playing semantics here.  You know what I meant.  You have increased incidents of these types of diseases among a group that is characterized by their behavior, not just their sexual preference.  Accelerated...  Increased...  Semantics...  Again, I've got nothing.

My point was that vaccines are already required in certain branches, and are required of virtually all deployed military members.  Thus, when we're at war with at-risk countries (which we've been doing off and on since the 50's), vaccines are required of all deployed military members.  The presence of homosexuals is not going to suddenly require the number of vaccines to skyrocket, as we've had to vaccinate the majority of military members due to frequent deployment of most military members since the 50's.
Oh, I see...  So, deployed to at-risk countries, it makes sense to mandate vaccinations.  Open enlistment to a group that has increased incidents of these diseases, you don't.  Makes a lot of sense...   :blink:

Nonetheless, let's look at your contention that more homosexuals = more Hepatitis, and more Hepatitis = more Hepatitis vaccines.  There is an initial screening blah blah blah.  Blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah; blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.  blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah incubation period for any disease or virus is going to be the same in anyone.  If it's sufficient to annually screen heterosexuals to determine if they've contracted any disease or virus, then it's sufficient for homosexuals as well.
Sorry Doctor...  I wasn't aware of your expertise on the subject. 

Blah blah blah...

Blah blah blah...

Diseases are diseases; if we can't efficiently screen them in homosexuals, then we can't efficiently screen them in heterosexuals.  A straight sailor on leave can catch a disease between annual screenings just like anyone else.  In fact, military members on leave are probably in a higher risk category than your "average" individual who has not spent elongated periods of time away from the opposite sex.
Again, sorry Doctor...  You have all the answers.  I don't buy your logic...  I don't buy your reasoning...  It contradicts CDC information. 

Some people view promiscuity and adultery as deviant behavior, too.  Maybe we should give a morality test before entering the military so as to further reduce any chances of infection?  That seems to be along the lines of what you're advocating.
Only sailors...   those filthy beggars!

Your medical argument, as you've presented it in recent posts, dealt with the costs and medical risks of introducing homosexual soldiers.
All very much a part of the social experimentation aspect of this argument. 

There was no comparison between the two, other than to say that many people are uncomfortable with being in X situation (such as the military) with a variety of types of people. blah blah blah...   
Eric Massa will invite you to his next "tickle party"...  Apparently, that's what they do in the military.  Unless, that's just another right-wing conspiracy. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #292 on: March 14, 2010, 11:44:12 PM »
I've got nothing...  They?  I've got nothing...

I'm referring to the CDC.  They recommended that children in specific states be vaccinated; this probably came from the same CDC report you were referencing, but I guess you conveniently overlooked that and feigned ignorance by asking who is "they."

You're playing semantics here.  You know what I meant.  You have increased incidents of these types of diseases among a group that is characterized by their behavior, not just their sexual preference.  Accelerated...  Increased...  Semantics...  Again, I've got nothing.

Accelerated and an increased number of incidents have two distinct meanings.  I may have taken it upon myself to correct you, but I am hardly playing semantics games.  My point is that the diseases you refer to don't have a different incubation period in homosexuals; they are not accelerated in any way.  A promiscuous sailor could just as easily catch Hepatitis between annual screenings.  Is he statistically more likely to do so?  Not when compared to a homosexual, but this doesn't change the fact that he could.  In fact, because heterosexuals make up the vast majority in the military, and because heterosexuals make up almost half of all HIV/AIDS cases, you've got just about the same chance that your next infected military member is a heterosexual as you do him being a homosexual.

Oh, I see...  So, deployed to at-risk countries, it makes sense to mandate vaccinations.  Open enlistment to a group that has increased incidents of these diseases, you don't.  Makes a lot of sense...   :blink:

Maybe you should have read the portion of my response that explained that there is an initial screening upon joining the military.  If you have Hepatitis or have had Hepatitis before, you're not allowed in.  There is no point in mandating vaccinations for people that you are going to screen.  Regardless of the increased number of incidents amongst that particular group of individuals, you're going to know whether they have Hepatitis based upon their screening.

Again, sorry Doctor...  You have all the answers.  I don't buy your logic...  I don't buy your reasoning...  It contradicts CDC information.

I didn't see anywhere in the CDC's statistics or reports where it was stated that annual screenings would not be sufficient to screen homosexuals.  You're taking the increased number of incidents amongst homosexuals and assuming that an annual screening would not be sufficient to screen homosexuals.  It appears that you're the one trying to play doctor by implying that we would have to increase the frequency of screening.  Again, either the current screening methods are sufficient or they are not; incubation periods in humans do not differ due to sexual preferences.  Let's also not forget that due to the number of heterosexuals in the military and the fact that heterosexuals make up close to half of all HIV/AIDS cases, the odds are pretty much equal as to whether a homosexual or heterosexual military member will become infected.

All very much a part of the social experimentation aspect of this argument.

Medical costs and risks that the military may or may not experience are not part of the social experimentation argument.  Your social experimentation argument dealt with individuals' reactions to homosexuals being allowed to openly serve.  Others' opinions and reactions don't have anything to do with medical costs and risks.  The fact that Harry Hetero is uncomfortable around Gene Gay isn't going to make Hepatitis spread.

Eric Massa will invite you to his next "tickle party"...  Apparently, that's what they do in the military.  Unless, that's just another right-wing conspiracy.

Ben Cloud can invite you to some of his white "friends'" parties.  That's also what racism can do in the military.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 12:29:15 AM by Vandy Vol »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #293 on: March 16, 2010, 09:36:23 PM »
I'm referring to the CDC.  They recommended that children in specific states be vaccinated; this probably came from the same CDC report you were referencing, but I guess you conveniently overlooked that and feigned ignorance by asking who is "they." 
CDC or not, you're completely full of freshly packed crap.  You saw my reference to the CDC, and there was no mention of "children in specific states" at all. 

Accelerated and an increased number of incidents have two distinct meanings.  I may have taken it upon myself to correct you, but I am hardly playing semantics games.  My point is that the diseases you refer to don't have a different incubation period in homosexuals; they are not accelerated in any way.  blah blah whine bitch moan...
You most definitely are playing the semantics game by frolicking down this line of reasoning that focuses on the literal definition of "accelerated".  The ratio of homosexuals who have the types of diseases that were discussed is far greater than the ratio of heterosexuals who have these diseases.  This incubation period that you reference has nothing to do with this point or this discussion. 

Maybe you should have read the portion of my response that explained that there is an initial screening upon joining the military.  If you have Hepatitis or have had Hepatitis before, you're not allowed in.  There is no point in mandating vaccinations for people that you are going to screen.  Regardless of the increased number of incidents amongst that particular group of individuals, you're going to know whether they have Hepatitis based upon their screening.
Your position assumes that this "particular group of individuals" will discontinue the risky behaviors mentioned on the CDC site after they join or after they are screened.  It's just a weak nonsensical position. 

I didn't see anywhere in the CDC's statistics or reports where it was stated that annual screenings would not be sufficient to screen homosexuals.  You're taking the increased number of incidents amongst homosexuals and assuming that an annual screening would not be sufficient to screen homosexuals.  It appears that you're the one trying to play doctor by implying that we would have to increase the frequency of screening.  Again, either the current screening methods are sufficient or they are not; incubation blah blah blah, whine bitch moan...
Well actually, I just floated the suggestion based on my understanding of the evidence.  I even stated something to the effect that I don't have the answer here.  You're the guy arguing as though I took the hard position and claimed that additional screenings were absolutely necessary.  And, if annual screenings are enough for the military, why else would the CDC recommend outright vaccinations for the MSM community?  (That's a rhetorical question...  no answer from you is desired.)

Medical costs and risks that the military may or may not experience are not part of the social experimentation argument.  Your social experimentation argument dealt with individuals' reactions to homosexuals being allowed to openly serve.  Others' opinions and reactions don't have anything to do with medical costs and risks.  The fact that Harry Hetero is uncomfortable around Gene Gay isn't going to make Hepatitis spread.
More nonsense...  Unbelievable...  I'm not concerned about feelings.  I don't care about emotions.  That's for Liberals, Socialists, little girls and flaming homosexuals.  You've jumped to another half-assed conclusion.  At least from my perspective, the social experimentation aspect of this has everything to do with consequences, and some of those consequences could lead to things that we're not adequately considering here.  Comfort levels?  Really? 

Ben Cloud can invite you to some of his white "friends'" parties.  That's also what racism can do in the military.
There we go.  BINGO!  To you guys, this discussion about homosexuals is a modern day civil rights debate.  It's racist...  Well, you've taken a subgroup of individuals and characterized them by their behaviors, as unpopular and risky as those behaviors may be.  Now, you want to extend rights, privileges and protections to them.  That's absolutely ridiculous.  Why don't we protect intravenous drug users?  Why don't we protect people who eat their own boogers?  Why don't we protect people who eat their own scat?  It makes no sense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #294 on: March 17, 2010, 12:23:04 AM »
CDC or not, you're completely full of freshly packed crap.  You saw my reference to the CDC, and there was no mention of "children in specific states" at all.

Page 2
In 1996, CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommended administration of hepatitis A vaccine for persons at increased risk, including international travelers, men who have sex with men (MSM), injection- and noninjection-drug users, and children living in communities with high rates of disease (1). In 1999, ACIP also recommended that routine vaccination be implemented for children living in 11 states with average hepatitis A rates during 1987–1997 of >20 cases per 100,000 population and also be considered for children in six states with rates of 10–20 cases per 100,000 population (2). In 2006, ACIP expanded these recommendations to include routine vaccination of children in all 50 states (3).

You most definitely are playing the semantics game by frolicking down this line of reasoning that focuses on the literal definition of "accelerated".

When reading the English language, you typically use the literal meaning of a word.  It's only when you attempt to supplant alternate, less accepted definitions in order to change the meaning of someone's argument that you play semantics games.  Maybe you didn't intend to utilize the mainstream literal meaning of the word "accelerate," but that's no fault of my own.

Your position assumes that this "particular group of individuals" will discontinue the risky behaviors mentioned on the CDC site after they join or after they are screened.  It's just a weak nonsensical position.

No, my position assumes that there are heterosexual men in the military who also exhibit risky behaviors which can lead to the contraction of HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis and other diseases and infections.  If an annual screening is not sufficient to screen homosexuals, then it's not sufficient to screen heterosexuals either.  Let's face it:  Homosexuals may have a higher incident ratio for HIV/AIDS, but there are far less of them.  And because of policies like DADT, there are probably fewer homosexuals in the military relative to heterosexuals than there are in the general public, which is the population to which your CDC stats apply.

Thus, while they make up a slight majority of total HIV/AIDS cases in the general population (between 50-55%), the ratio of homosexual men with HIV/AIDS and heterosexual men with HIV/AIDS in the military will be slightly different.  Even if it is a very slight difference (or even no difference), you're still talking about approximately 45% of HIV/AIDS cases being made up by heterosexuals.  As mentioned before, the incident ratio does not indicate anything about how quickly or when homosexuals contract the disease.  Therefore, while a homosexual may be more likely to contract the disease, you have a relatively high chance of one of your heterosexual military members also catching the disease.  If screening is not sufficient for one, it's not sufficient for the other.

And Hepatitis? Well, 39% of new HBV infections among adults are due to heterosexual transmission (Page 6).  16% is due to injection drug use.  Meanwhile, only 24% are due to intercourse between men.  If you're going to claim that a higher percentage of new infections of a disease amongst a particular group shows an "accelerated" rate of infection within that group that can't be detected by annual screenings, then it looks like we need to step up our efforts in order to stop the spread of Hepatitis B in the military because of all of these deviant heterosexuals.

Well actually, I just floated the suggestion based on my understanding of the evidence.  I even stated something to the effect that I don't have the answer here.  You're the guy arguing as though I took the hard position and claimed that additional screenings were absolutely necessary.

You floated it.  Regardless of whether you took a hard stance on the point, you threw it out there as a question and I explained why additional screenings would not be necessary.  If you don't buy my stance, that's fine.  However, if you still feel the urge to ask if current annual screenings aren't sufficient based on homosexuals having an "accelerated" risk of contracting HIV/AIDS, then you logically must ask if annual screenings are sufficient for heterosexuals who make up 39% of new HBV transmissions.

And, if annual screenings are enough for the military, why else would the CDC recommend outright vaccinations for the MSM community?

If annual screenings aren't enough for homosexuals because they make up a larger number of new HIV/AIDS cases, then annual screenings aren't enough for heterosexuals because they make up a larger number of new HBV cases.

More nonsense...  Unbelievable...  I'm not concerned about feelings.  I don't care about emotions.  That's for Liberals, Socialists, little girls and flaming homosexuals.  You've jumped to another half-assed conclusion.  At least from my perspective, the social experimentation aspect of this has everything to do with consequences, and some of those consequences could lead to things that we're not adequately considering here.  Comfort levels?  Really?

If I understand the rest of your posts, you'll just mix the homosexuals with the heterosexuals.  You seem so willing to put other people into uncomfortable and potentially disruptive situations.

The homosexual thing doesn't really bother me that much anymore, but if I end up in close-quarters with homosexuals, outside of the military, I have a choice to remove myself or avoid the situation altogether.  In the military, you don't have those choices, and we have absolutely no right to force our soldiers into these uncomfortable situations to satisfy your pathetic fetish with "fairness and equality" for all.

You repeatedly reference the comfort level of these troops.  If you're not concerned with feelings, comfort levels, beliefs, etc., then I'm not sure why you keep mentioning it.  Does your concern for their comfort make you a liberal, socialist, little girl or flaming homosexual?

There we go.  BINGO!  To you guys, this discussion about homosexuals is a modern day civil rights debate.  It's racist...  Well, you've taken a subgroup of individuals and characterized them by their behaviors, as unpopular and risky as those behaviors may be.  Now, you want to extend rights, privileges and protections to them.  That's absolutely ridiculous.  Why don't we protect intravenous drug users?  Why don't we protect people who eat their own boogers?  Why don't we protect people who eat their own scat?  It makes no sense.

When you deny a particular group of people of something, it typically becomes a civil rights issue.  We denied blacks and women voting rights because they were unpopular and/or suppressed groups at the time.  There was no logical or legitimate reason to this; it was simply done because they lacked the political power to change that for years.  Our judicial history has shown that if a right or privilege is going to be denied to anyone, much less an entire sub-group, there must be a legitimate reason behind it.  If you were to allow the majority to suppress whatever it wanted simply because they were the majority, then you would wind up with the English system of oppression from which our founding fathers fled.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #295 on: March 17, 2010, 12:30:27 AM »
Why don't we protect people who eat their own boogers? 
Wait, we don't let booger eaters in the military?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #296 on: March 17, 2010, 12:25:51 PM »
Page 2
In 1996, CDC’s Advisory Committee on... 
Like I suggested, this isn't my original reference.  Granted, it's still the CDC, but you had to navigate away from the original summary page and get into the details to find this.  Your "feined ignorance" comment is still full of crap, and your pissing matches are boring me... 

When reading the English language, you typically... 
Really?  Seriously???   :taunt:

And Hepatitis? Well, 39% of new HBV infections among adults are due to heterosexual transmission (Page 6).  16% is due to injection drug use.  Meanwhile, only 24% are due to intercourse between men.  If you're going to claim that a higher percentage of new infections of a disease amongst a particular group shows an "accelerated" rate of infection within that group that can't be detected by annual screenings, then it looks like we need to step up our efforts in order to stop the spread of Hepatitis B in the military because of all of these deviant heterosexuals.
Of course, you do realize that a group making up only 5-7% of the total population also makes up 24% of all new HBV infections.  The incident rate is much higher in the homosexual community, so your position is nonsense. 

However, if you still feel the urge to ask if current annual screenings aren't sufficient based on homosexuals having an "accelerated" risk of contracting HIV/AIDS, then you logically must ask if annual screenings are sufficient for heterosexuals who make up 39% of new HBV transmissions.
Umm...  No...  Once again, you do realize that a group making up only 5-7% of the total population also makes up 24% of all new HBV infections.  The incident rate is much higher in the homosexual community, so your position is still nonsense.

If annual screenings aren't enough for homosexuals because they make up a larger number of new HIV/AIDS cases, then annual screenings aren't enough for heterosexuals because they make up a larger number of new HBV cases. 
But, you do realize that the incident rate is far less in the heterosexual community.  Logically, it wouldn't make sense to increase screening for a group that has a significantly lower incident rate. 

You repeatedly reference the comfort level of these troops.  If you're not concerned with feelings, comfort levels, beliefs, etc., then I'm not sure why you keep mentioning it.  Does your concern for their comfort make you a liberal, socialist, little girl or flaming homosexual?
There you go.  You got me.  Of course, the "comfort level" argument wasn't based on feelings, emotions or the silly concepts of superficial differences that "you people" like to spin.  Throw someone into close quarters who may find his comrades sexually appealing.  Throw someone into close quarters who has an increased risk of contracting deadly communicable diseases because of their extracurricular activities.  Throw someone into close quarters who may have one of those diseases.  Throw a deviant like Eric Massa into close quarters who fondles subordinate officers at "tickle parties".  We're not talking "comfort levels" as they relate to feelings and emotions; we're talking about disruptive forces and increased risk scenarios that shouldn't be introduced in the military. 

When you deny a particular group of people of something, it typically becomes a civil rights issue.  We denied blacks and women voting rights because they were unpopular and/or suppressed groups at the time.  There was no logical or legitimate reason to this; it was simply done because they lacked the political power to change that for years.  Our judicial history has shown that if a right or privilege is going to be denied to anyone, much less an entire sub-group, there must be a legitimate reason behind it.  If you were to allow the majority to suppress whatever it wanted simply because they were the majority, then you would wind up with the English system of oppression from which our founding fathers fled.
You've characterized "a particular group of people" by their behavior.  There is no right to vote, as the Constitution does not explicitly protect or deny such rights.  None of us have a right to join the military.  That pretty much sums it up. 

Finally, if we continue to let "you people" play your games, we'll have to extend anti-discrimination policies from race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, and sometimes disability to include race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, favorite sexual positions, marital status, number of sexual partners, national origin, booger picking ability, age, sometimes disability, occasionally illness, favorite sport, shoe size, breast size, ass size, eye color, appearance, belt size, baldness and <fill-in-the-blank>.  Disgusting...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #297 on: March 17, 2010, 01:59:22 PM »
Like I suggested, this isn't my original reference.  Granted, it's still the CDC, but you had to navigate away from the original summary page and get into the details to find this.  Your "feined ignorance" comment is still full of crap, and your pissing matches are boring me...

You point to a statement from the CDC and it's fine.  I point to a statement from the CDC and I'm starting a pissing match.  Not to mention that I am referred to as being "completely full of freshly packed crap" for citing to the document which your reference summarized.  I guess I'm the bad guy for referring to the same source and taking the time to actually skim the source instead of the summary.

Of course, you do realize that a group making up only 5-7% of the total population also makes up 24% of all new HBV infections.  The incident rate is much higher in the homosexual community, so your position is nonsense.

Based on the fact that 39% of new HBV cases come from heterosexual intercourse, you have a larger number of HBV cases coming from heterosexuals than homosexuals.  Higher incident rate or not, you have a larger chance of your next HBV infection in the military coming from a heterosexual (and more overall HBV infections being in heterosexuals).  Thus, we better make sure that heterosexuals are properly screened.

I understand that a homosexual has a higher chance of contracting HBV.  However, there are far fewer of them, and more HBV transmissions occur in heterosexuals.  You're going to have more heterosexuals with HBV, and their transmission numbers are higher.  If you're truly concerned about the health of the military members, then you recognize that heterosexuals pose a larger threat in regard to HBV due to their higher transmission numbers and their much larger percentage of the population.

There you go.  You got me.  Of course, the "comfort level" argument wasn't based on feelings, emotions or the silly concepts of superficial differences that "you people" like to spin.  Throw someone into close quarters who may find his comrades sexually appealing.  Throw someone into close quarters who has an increased risk of contracting deadly communicable diseases because of their extracurricular activities.  Throw someone into close quarters who may have one of those diseases.  Throw a deviant like Eric Massa into close quarters who fondles subordinate officers at "tickle parties".  We're not talking "comfort levels" as they relate to feelings and emotions; we're talking about disruptive forces and increased risk scenarios that shouldn't be introduced in the military. 

You used the word "uncomfortable," which is a reference as to how they would feel.  You even went as far as to chastise me for even mentioning "comfort levels," as if you had never made the argument.  A heterosexual feeling "uncomfortable" has nothing to do with the likelihood that a homosexual will fondle someone or spread a disease.  Stating that someone would be "uncomfortable" is referring directly to their feelings; it's not a reference to any risk of a disruptive homosexual force.

As far as these disruptive forces wreaking havoc, homosexuals have already been introduced into the military.  I have not heard of an epidemic of Hepatitis, HIV/AIDS or any other disease.  I have not heard of frequent incidents of homosexual rape or molestation.  You refer to Eric Massa, which is one incident.  You also fail to refer to numerous instances involving racists, sexists and heterosexuals.  If a handful of instances over several years is enough for you to warrant banning an entire group of people, then I guess we need to ban racists, sexists and even heterosexuals for their sporadic instances of misconduct.

But don't take my word for it; take the word of the posters who have served with homosexuals.  Take the word of other countries who have homosexuals serving, some of which allow open homosexuality; they haven't seen disease outbreaks or mass disruption.  You've referred to Eric Massa as if that situation is an every day occurrence, or as if it is an occurrence that has decimated our military's ability to function.  There are studies and individuals' testimonies on this very forum that refute your exaggerated claims of instant spread of disease and disruptive homosexual debauchery on a large scale.

You've characterized "a particular group of people" by their behavior.

I haven't grouped or characterized them; our government has grouped them by enacting the DADT policy.  They opened the door to classify them as a group of people by enacting laws that affect them as a group.  My only argument is that the denial of a right or privilege to an entire group requires a legitimate reason.  Your "disruptive forces" argument has not proven true in the U.S. military, and it has not proven true in other countries.  Your medical argument appears to be a double standard, because you do not advocate that anything be done differently with heterosexuals when it is shown that they actually pose a larger risk for some diseases such as HBV.  Maybe I'm being absurdly unreasonable, but I haven't seen a legitimate reason for singling out homosexuals yet.

There is no right to vote, as the Constitution does not explicitly protect or deny such rights.  None of us have a right to join the military.  That pretty much sums it up.

Please tell me you're not serious about the non-existence of a right to vote?  The 26th Amendment states:

The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age."

Or maybe Amendment 15, which states:

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Or maybe Amendment 19, which states:

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

I'm not sure how you could state that there is no right to vote when the Constitution explicitly uses the phrase "the right of citizens of the United States to vote" repeatedly.  I'm also not sure how you came to the conclusion that no rights are acknowledged by the Constitution at all.  You might want to read Amendments 1, 2, 4, 7, 9, 14, 15, 19, 24 and 26.  All of these Amendments explicitly refer to rights of individuals.  Of those that don't use the word "right," there are many that still imply that a right exists by stating that the government can not infringe upon certain actions/abilities, such as Amendments 3, 5, 6 and 13.

Regardless, you'll note that I also used the word privilege in my response.  Afterall, I never claimed that joining the military was a right;  I merely stated that you can not deny a particular group of people a right or a privilege without legitimate reasons.  Being able to drive, for instance, is a privilege.  Would it be proper for the majority to pass a law that states that Indians can't drive?

Finally, if we continue to let "you people" play your games, we'll have to extend anti-discrimination policies from race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, and sometimes disability to include race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, favorite sexual positions, marital status, number of sexual partners, national origin, booger picking ability, age, sometimes disability, occasionally illness, favorite sport, shoe size, breast size, ass size, eye color, appearance, belt size, baldness and <fill-in-the-blank>.  Disgusting...

If you want to ban people from the military because their favorite sport is curling, then yes, "us people" are going to call "you people" out on the absurdity of such a baseless rule.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #298 on: March 17, 2010, 05:46:35 PM »
You point to a statement from the CDC and it's fine.  I point to a statement from the CDC and I'm starting a pissing match.  Not to mention that I am referred to as being "completely full of freshly packed crap" for citing to the document which your reference summarized.  I guess I'm the bad guy for referring to the same source and taking the time to actually skim the source instead of the summary.

Nah...  You're not a "bad guy".  You're just making assumptions again.  You also didn't cite my same reference.  You went deeper into the CDC site.  And yes, at this stage, it's just a pissing match of who can find more facts again.  I'm not interested in that...  It's boring. 

If you're truly concerned about the health of the military members, then you recognize that heterosexuals pose a larger threat in regard to HBV due to their higher transmission numbers and their much larger percentage of the population.
Another pissing match...  You're trying to argue the overall quantity of incidents.  I don't see any reasonable comparison here.  We're talking about admitting a subgroup of individuals who have a higher incident rate.  In other words, you're 12 times more likely to find a homosexual with HBV and over 40 times more likely to find a homosexual with HIV compared to heterosexuals. 

You used the word "uncomfortable," which is a reference as to how they would feel.  You even went as far as to chastise me for even mentioning "comfort levels," as if you had never made the argument.  A heterosexual feeling "uncomfortable" has nothing to do with the likelihood that a homosexual will fondle someone or spread a disease.  Stating that someone would be "uncomfortable" is referring directly to their feelings; it's not a reference to any risk of a disruptive homosexual force.
Like I said, you got me...  You're right to the extent that I mentioned.  The "uncomfortable situations" that I mentioned earlier has EVERYTHING to do with being in close proximity of someone who would molest, spread disease or cause disruption.  Perhaps, you didn't want to understand my perspective.  Another pissing match...

As far as these disruptive forces wreaking havoc, homosexuals have already been introduced into the military.  I have not heard of an epidemic of Hepatitis, HIV/AIDS or any other disease.  I have not heard of frequent incidents of homosexual rape or molestation.  You refer to Eric Massa, which is one incident.  You also fail to refer to numerous instances involving racists, sexists and heterosexuals.  If a handful of instances over several years is enough for you to warrant banning an entire group of people, then I guess we need to ban racists, sexists and even heterosexuals for their sporadic instances of misconduct.
Eric Massa was "one incident" that's been burried for years.  How many others are burried?  And, didn't this occur when homosexuals were banned from the military?  I don't know about all of these other instances that you reference.  Do we really have a problem with racism, sexism and heterosexual issues in the military?  Not that I know of, and not that I have heard. 

Please tell me you're not serious about the non-existence of a right to vote?
Re-read everything that you've posted and do a little more research.  You have no right to vote.  The US Constitution does not guarantee this right.  Yes, there are amendments that address voting discrimination, but we have no right to vote.  It's a common misconception that I thought most people understood.  Everything you posted on this confirms my statement. 

If you want to ban people from the military because their favorite sport is curling, then yes, "us people" are going to call "you people" out on the absurdity of such a baseless rule. 
What if my favorite sport is dog fighting?  What about men who like to beat women or have sex with children?  How about transgenders and cross-dressers?  What about fat people?  Why is any subgroup more deserving of protection than another? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #299 on: March 17, 2010, 06:41:07 PM »
Nah...  You're not a "bad guy".  You're just making assumptions again.  You also didn't cite my same reference.  You went deeper into the CDC site.  And yes, at this stage, it's just a pissing match of who can find more facts again.  I'm not interested in that...  It's boring.

It's boring when I cite stats, but informational when you do it.  Got it.

We're talking about admitting a subgroup of individuals who have a higher incident rate.  In other words, you're 12 times more likely to find a homosexual with HBV and over 40 times more likely to find a homosexual with HIV compared to heterosexuals.

A smaller subgroup which, while it has a higher incident rate per person, has fewer total infected individuals and fewer total new transmissions each year.  More heterosexuals have HBV than homosexuals, and more heterosexuals transmit HBV than homosexuals.  Regardless of the fact that any randomly chosen homosexual has a higher chance of getting HBV, the homosexual population is not the subgroup which contributes the most to the spreading of the disease.  Again, if it's the number of outbreaks with which you're concerned, then you might want to look at the portion of the population that contributes the most new transmissions and constitutes the most current infections.  They're the subgroup that's going to contribute the most to the outbreaks and to the medical costs associated with treating those outbreaks.

Eric Massa was "one incident" that's been burried for years.  How many others are burried?  And, didn't this occur when homosexuals were banned from the military?  I don't know about all of these other instances that you reference.  Do we really have a problem with racism, sexism and heterosexual issues in the military?  Not that I know of, and not that I have heard.

How many racist incidents are buried?  I guess we should ban racists based upon the few instances of misbehavior of which we're aware, because if there was one, then surely we can assume there were others.  You blame me for making assumptions, yet your conclusions are drawn on assumptions that there is or will be mass disruption and spreading of diseases.  There simply is not any statistical or testimonial indication of this.

Re-read everything that you've posted and do a little more research.  You have no right to vote.  The US Constitution does not guarantee this right.  Yes, there are amendments that address voting discrimination, but we have no right to vote.  It's a common misconception that I thought most people understood.  Everything you posted on this confirms my statement.

Then please explain exactly what the Constitution is referring to when it uses the phrase "the right of citizens of the United States to vote."  Excluding the prepositional phrase "of citizens of the United states" which operates as an adjective that modifies the noun "right," the phrase explicitly reads "the right to vote."  Either the Constitution refers to something that doesn't exist, or the right to vote does exist.

What if my favorite sport is dog fighting?  What about men who like to beat women or have sex with children?  How about transgenders and cross-dressers?  What about fat people?  Why is any subgroup more deserving of protection than another?  

It's not about affording one group more protection; it's about affording each group the same protection.  When you single out one group and take away a right or privilege that other groups have, you're affording those other groups more protection.  Or, more accurately I guess, you're affording those other groups more privileges/rights.  The only acceptable manner in which you can remove the rights or privileges of one group is for a legitimate purpose.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 06:42:52 PM by Vandy Vol »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions