Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Tigers Make Solid Strides....

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Tigers Make Solid Strides....
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2010, 12:39:29 PM »
Can I interject who think would be a good replacement for Malzhan (who - to no blame of his own - should parlay any success here into a HC sooner than later)?

Curtis Luper. Discuss.

No discussion needed on my part.  Luper seems legit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2010, 12:39:33 PM »
Chad, clarify your bet. I wouldn't bet that we end up ahead of Alabama (it MAY happen) because Alabama has a hell of a class too, but the top 5 SHOULD happen, IF we don't lose anyone and get the people we are expecting to get...
I never saw where it was insinuated that we have to beat Bama in recruiting.

Only that we finish with a Top 5 recruiting class. I'd rather keep it as only per Rivals, so that it would be an absolute lock, but we'll make it interesting and go with the average of Scout & Rivals, since that's the way Sensi wants to play.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2010, 12:40:07 PM »
No discussion needed on my part.  Luper seems legit.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2010, 12:41:04 PM »
I never saw where it was insinuated that we have to beat Bama in recruiting.

Only that we finish with a Top 5 recruiting class. I'd rather keep it as only per Rivals, so that it would be an absolute lock, but we'll make it interesting and go with the average of Scout & Rivals, since that's the way Sensi wants to play.

Go back and read it. It was in there. However, I'll give the $25 g.c. to you if Auburn is in the consensus top 5.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2010, 12:41:28 PM »
Was in reference to this year only. Past is past. Future is unknown. What is - is. Unless you are Bill Clinton or RWS.
You will get no argument from me about AU being the dominant team for most of the decade. When Alabama loses 6 straight, you can't even begin to argue that. All the more reason I thought AU was stupid for letting CTT go so quickly. But, thats another story for another thread.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2010, 12:42:02 PM »
. I'd rather keep it as only per Rivals, so that it would be an absolute lock, but we'll make it interesting and go with the average of Scout & Rivals, since that's the way Sensi wants to play.

You can throw ESPN in there if you want to make it three rankings. I'm not a big fan of any one over another.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2010, 12:42:13 PM »
Was in reference to this year only. Past is past. Future is unknown. What is - is. Unless you are Bill Clinton or RWS.

I get your point.  However, the recruting class that will sign in a few weeks was started last year, LONG before Alabama was going to achieve what was on that table.  So, to reference our recruting class's achievement based on this year's Bama dominance, or result that came to fruition less than a week ago is a little light on impact.

Anyway, I like where our recruting is going, and I'll be curious to see how your bet goes with Chizad.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2010, 12:43:10 PM »
Do you get good reception with that tinfoil?
    :)

No tinfoil needed. I just look at their track record. Its pretty simple actually.  :thumbsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2010, 12:44:22 PM »
You will get no argument from me about AU being the dominant team for most of the decade. When Alabama loses 6 straight, you can't even begin to argue that. All the more reason I thought AU was stupid for letting CTT go so quickly. But, thats another story for another thread.

How about last 30 years?  JAD, please release the stat since Bear last coached....

And as far as Sensi/Chizad's bet goes, from an objective POV, wouldn't it be fair to JUST include RIVALS and not ESPN and Scout? Those 2 don't even count early signees or JUCO's which are part of your class. I mean, we are talking the ENTIRE class right?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:46:27 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2010, 12:45:20 PM »
Go back and read it. It was in there. However, I'll give the $25 g.c. to you if Auburn is in the consensus top 5.
I didn't even see that since you threw it in arbitrarily for no reason whatsoever. When was that entered into the discussion until you threw it in?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2010, 12:47:39 PM »
I didn't even see that since you threw it in arbitrarily for no reason whatsoever. When was that entered into the discussion until you threw it in?

I thought it was in there all along, but no bother. We'll just stick to the Top 5 finish. Do you want to include ESPN in that?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2010, 12:55:29 PM »
How about last 30 years?  JAD, please release the stat since Bear last coached....
I'm only 26, so I couldn't realistically account for all 30 years. In the last 15 years, Alabama has had a good year sprinkled in every once in a while, but never any sort of run where you knew they would win 10+ games over multiple seasons. Stallings put together a few good seasons in a row, and obviousl 92 was good. But I wouldn't call it dominant by any means.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

GH2001

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2010, 01:22:23 PM »
I'm only 26, so I couldn't realistically account for all 30 years. In the last 15 years, Alabama has had a good year sprinkled in every once in a while, but never any sort of run where you knew they would win 10+ games over multiple seasons. Stallings put together a few good seasons in a row, and obviousl 92 was good. But I wouldn't call it dominant by any means.

Wow...now I feel older..lol.   JAD has the number the last 30 years ( in overall wins, SEC titles and head to head). They are somewhat close, but AU does hold the edge in each except for in SEC titles which I think they both have 5.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jadennis

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2010, 01:28:14 PM »
Don't have it all in front of me, but the easy one to reference is...

Auburn leads 16-12 since Bear's last year in 1982.

You have to go back to 1977 before Alabama leads (17-16).

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

GH2001

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2010, 01:42:28 PM »
Don't have it all in front of me, but the easy one to reference is...

Auburn leads 16-12 since Bear's last year in 1982.

You have to go back to 1977 before Alabama leads (17-16).

I did the wins a while back since 1983. It was a pretty big gap. Texas, Penn State and USC were also behind Auburn. I believe FSU and Nebraska have the MOST wins the last 25 years. And it was by a MILE.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jadennis

« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2010, 01:46:38 PM »
The last two years have made a big difference in things for Alabama.

From 1982 to 2007 SEC records
Auburn - 127-65-4
Alabama - 114-82-1

But add in 2008 and 2009
Auburn - 132-76-4
Alabama - 131-83-1

Auburn still has the better winning % at .632 vs .612, but going 17-1 in the last two years in the SEC has made a big difference (while Auburn was going 5-11).

The last two years have made a big difference in Poll comparisons too.

From 1980 to 2007
Top 25
Auburn - 307 weeks ranked
Alabama - 294 weeks ranked
Top 10
Auburn - 149 weeks in the Top 10
Alabama - 137 weeks in the Top 10

But when you add in 2008 and 2009 (Alabama is currently on a streak of being ranked 33 straight weeks, 30 in the top 10), it looks like this.

Top 25
Auburn - 315 weeks ranked
Alabama - 327 weeks ranked
Top 10
Auburn - 153 weeks in the Top 10
Alabama - 167 weeks in the Top 10

Alabama has had 4 seasons of 5 or fewer wins, 6 seasons of 6 or fewer wins, and 11 of 7 or fewer since 1982.  Auburn has had 5 seasons of 5 or fewer wins, 5 seasons of 6 or fewer wins, but only 6 of 7 or fewer.

Auburn has won at least 8 games 22 times since 1982.  
Alabama has won at least 8 games only 16 times since 1982.

Auburn has only gone two years in a row with fewer than 8 wins two times since 1982.
Alabama has won fewer than 8 games two years in a row 4 times since 1982.

Auburn has 5 SEC titles since 1982.
Alabama has 4 SEC titles since 1982.

Alabama has 2 National Titles since 1982.
Auburn has 1983, 1993, and 2004.

:puke:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

jadennis

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2010, 02:12:32 PM »
Well then why do you think that Auburn landing a top 5 recruiting class as impossible?

5* Latt
4* Thorton
4* Whitaker
4* Mack
4* Lemonier

These are all stud recruits and from what I understand, ours to lose. Plus, if we can pull one more "suprise" out to fill our class, that would only help. We are ranked #5 now per Rivals, how the hell is the list above going to drop us? Texas is already ahead of us, and USC just lost their coach. I just don't see that many teams flying past us if we land the guys mentioned above.

Chad, clarify your bet. I wouldn't bet that we end up ahead of Alabama (it MAY happen) because Alabama has a hell of a class too, but the top 5 SHOULD happen, IF we don't lose anyone and get the people we are expecting to get...

I would say that them being ours to lose is maybe a tad on the wishful thinking side of things.

Lattimore - I would say we have no better chance than South Carolina, and Penn State is sending in Paterno on January 28th try to seal the deal for them....they are right there with SC and Auburn.

Thornton - just as likely to go to Georgia, we could be #2 behind them.

Whitaker - I do think we lead for him.

Mack - Likely to stay at South Carolina.  If not, he'll be at Auburn, but that's really a "if he goes anywhere else other than SC, it would be Auburn"...not necessarily that he's likely to come here.

Lemonier - We have as good a chance as anyone, but there isn't much to say we have a better shot than Tennessee (who some have said lead for him) or Florida State.

In the end, we could get all of them (Top 3 class maybe), or we could get one of them (Top 10 class) ...most of them are up in the air for the most part.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2010, 02:18:39 PM »
I thought it was in there all along, but no bother. We'll just stick to the Top 5 finish. Do you want to include ESPN in that?
Your initial scoffing was at the notion that Auburn would land A Top 5 recruiting class.

Rivals is usually the standard in these discussions. As I stated, they are the only ones that count early enrollments and JUCO, which both went/are going well for Auburn. They also awarded uat their "Crootin Nashnul Champeenship" in Two-thousand-Saban.

Using Rivals only, it will be a lock. That was initially what we were betting on, but you wanted to average the big two, so to make it interesting, we'll go with that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2010, 02:39:35 PM »
Rivals is usually the standard in these discussions.

Says who? The Bammers that own Rivals?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2010, 02:42:56 PM »
Rival's = The only source for Recruiting/Da Skreets
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.