Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Tigers Make Solid Strides....

Mr. Sensible

Re: Tigers Make Solid Strides....
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 12:02:40 PM »
We have a number of open slots ourselves, with some 4 & 5* guys lined up ready to commit.

"I think we're sitting just about as good as we can be with most of the guys we have left recruiting," Chizik said last month."
http://blog.al.com/auburnbeat/2010/01/five_tigers_arrive_today_as_au.html

But I wouldn't expect you to know that...

I do know that. I also know Texas and USC are bigger and better programs. Go fuck yourself.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:03:13 PM by Mr. Sensible »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 12:04:15 PM »
I do know that. I also know Texas and USC are bigger and better programs. Go fuck yourself.
Fine. Let's make a wager then.

I don't feel guilty stealing from the mentally disabled.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 12:06:46 PM »
Fine. Let's make a wager then.

I don't feel guilty stealing from the mentally disabled.

Didn't you see the plane flying over? Gambling is illegal in this state. ;-)

Okay. I'll wager a $25 gift certificate to a steak place (Sante Fe's, Logans, wtfever) that Auburn doesn't finish in the top 5 in the recruiting rankings and above Alabama. Let's use a consensus rank average of Rivals and Scout. Fair enough?

By the way, is that avatar from "The Ring?"
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:10:03 PM by Mr. Sensible »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 12:12:27 PM »
Sensi, I'm still of the opinion that too often your name should be Mr. Cynical.

If there is a middle road, you are just as far from it as the "kool aid" drinkers you loathe and insult.  Why is Auburn getting one of the best recruiting classes in the country an "over achievement"?  That sounds like one of those subtle jabs a bamingham writer would throw in an article trying to be pro-Auburn.

The offense was inconsistent this past year, and a lot of that inconsistency can be traced to inconsistent QB play.  It wasn't remotely all Todd's fault, but if you look at the three games in which we were hiding under a rock (Arkansas, Kentucky, LSU), you'll see the 2008 Chris Todd leading the offense.

The "other" Todd was the difference in games against Tennessee and Ole Miss.  Sure, things weren't beautiful in the Tennessee game, but look closer and it was just a few unlucky plays/penalties that kept that game close.  The offense, on the whole, played better than the 26 points indicated (the 459 yards and 24 first downs was more indicative of how they played).  

And don't forget, we lost to Georgia, but we also had the game tying TD pass completed until Fannin let go of the ball.  Alabama was the best team in the country, no question.  We led them the whole game.  We only scored 21 pts on them, but Arkansas scored 7, Tennessee 10, Ole Miss 3, South Carolina 6, LSU 15, Mississippi State 3, and Florida 13.

So we scored more on them than any other team in the SEC managed to do.  There is no reason to call the people that get excited about that kool aid drinkers.  It's not like that's even a subjective stat.  It's a fact that the offense was inconsistent at times. It's also a fact that the offense was unstoppable at times.  If you're going to call yourself Mr Sensible, you have to acknowledge both facts.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:14:28 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 12:14:25 PM »
And thats what the offense depends on to work; a fast pace. The Iron Bowl was a good example of that. The first 10 minutes, AU was moving fast, and throwing out new formations and plays left and right. Alabama settles down and decides to play football, Malzahn is out of scripted plays, AU's offense can't get in their own rhythm and set the pace, and they fall flat on their face and gain like 150 yards over the next 3 quarters.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 12:18:18 PM »

If there is a middle road, you are just as far from it as the "kool aid" drinkers you loathe and insult.  Why is Auburn getting one of the best recruiting classes in the country an "over achievement"?  

The offense was inconsistent this past year, and a lot of that inconsistency can be traced to inconsistent QB play.  It wasn't remotely all Todd's fault, but if you look at the three games in which we were hiding under a rock (Arkansas, Kentucky, LSU), you'll see the 2008 Chris Todd leading the offense.

The "other" Todd was the difference in games against Tennessee and Ole Miss.  Sure, things weren't beautiful in the Tennessee game, but look closer and it was just a few unlucky plays/penalties that kept that game close.  The offense, on the whole, played better than the 26 points indicated (the 459 yards and 24 first downs was more indicative of how they played).  

And don't forget, we lost to Georgia, but we also had the game tying TD pass completed until Fannin let go of the ball.  Alabama was the best team in the country, no question.  We led them the whole game.  We only scored 21 pts on them, but Arkansas scored 7, Tennessee 10, Ole Miss 3, South Carolina 6, LSU 15, Mississippi State 3, and Florida 13.

So we scored more on them than any other team in the SEC managed to do.  There is no reason to call the people that get excited about that kool aid drinkers.  It's not like that's even a subjective stat.  It's a fact that the offense was inconsistent at times. It's also a fact that the offense was unstoppable at times.  If you're going to call yourself Mr Sensible, you have to acknowledge both facts.

I did. I said the offense was a big play offense. I didn't feel the need to elaborate because people understand what that means and remember the plays I'm referencing.

Over - achievement - I suppose I should have referenced this was in comparison to recent (last few years) recruiting classes. It's also rare for a 7-5 regular season "other" team in  a state with a dominant one to acheive such a feat. Thus, it is an over achievement if and when it happens.

Chris Todd deserves a fucking statue for what he did this year in spite of a shaky offensive line, inconsistent receivers, and a fanbase that had thrown him in the garbage after an injury-plagued junior season. That guy may not play a down on Sunday but he's got balls of brass as far as I'm concerned.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 12:22:14 PM »
Over - achievement - I suppose I should have referenced this was in comparison to recent (last few years) recruiting classes. It's also rare for a 7-5 regular season "other" team in  a state with a dominant one to acheive such a feat. Thus, it is an over achievement if and when it happens.

This is what I'm not sure I'm ready to concede.  Why is Alabama so much more dominate when for decades, the records and achievments (certainly up to this year anyway) seem to indicate that for years, Auburn was in fact, the dominate team in the state?

This is why I don't believe your way of thinking is correct.  Maybe it was thirty years ago, but maybe that thirty plus year's old thinking is part of the problem in all of this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 12:23:23 PM »

If there is a middle road, you are just as far from it as the "kool aid" drinkers you loathe and insult.  Why is Auburn getting one of the best recruiting classes in the country an "over achievement"?  That sounds like one of those subtle jabs a bamingham writer would throw in an article trying to be pro-Auburn.

THIS

The majority of the fanbase are not fringe koolaid drinkers but they are also not fringe pessimists and ashamed as Sensi is. MOST are, as JA said, middle of the road.

Sensi, "Texas and USC are better" ? Better is so subjective and complex my friend. I would MUCH rather be associated with a nice "cow college" such as ours than Hollywood U (USC) where everyone apparently now gets a Lexus to play there......But I am glad you like to run your own school in the ground. That ittie bittie podcast you do has grown your head to beyond what it really is. War Damners? Good gosh.......I'm gonna leave that one alone. Take a step back and get some air Sensi.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 12:24:27 PM »
Why is Alabama so much more dominate when for decades, the records and achievments (certainly up to this year anyway) seem to indicate that for years, Auburn was in fact, the dominate team in the state?

See all that shit on the table in front of that motherfucker? That's why.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 12:26:49 PM »
See all that shit on the table in front of that motherfucker? That's why.

So, this means for decades Auburn didn't dominate?  2004 didn't happen?  Does it mean we can't get there also?

I guess, I'm just not ready to conced to them being dominate in a larger sense.  This year?  Abso-fuckin'-lutely.  Over-all, in an Auburn can't compete sort of way?  No thank you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
I did. I said the offense was a big play offense. I didn't feel the need to elaborate because people understand what that means and remember the plays I'm referencing.

Chris Todd deserves a phuking statue for what he did this year in spite of a shaky offensive line, inconsistent receivers, and a fanbase that had thrown him in the garbage after an injury-plagued junior season. That guy may not play a down on Sunday but he's got balls of brass as far as I'm concerned.

I guess in the context (and tone) that you used "over achievement" is comes across the same way it was an "over achievement" that Utah beat Alabama last year, or that Mississippi State won the SEC tournament last year.  It comes across like it's not indicative of our actual ability to recruit, but somehow is a fluke, not likely to be repeated.

As for Todd, I agree, he played great at times, took a beating at times, and kept on plugging away.  I'm not here to bury him, he actually set Auburn records this year....but there was a night and day in the way he played against Tennessee and the way he played against Arkansas/Kentucky/LSU.  There just was.

But the fact that Todd set Auburn records this year is all the more reason to expect more from the offense next year.  The truth is, he wasn't as bad as the 2008 staff made him look, but he isn't as good as this 2009 staff made him look.  For that, I expect more next year (no kool aid necessary, just my eyes and brain).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 12:29:34 PM »
Okay. I'll wager a $25 gift certificate to a steak place (Sante Fe's, Logans, wtfever) that Auburn doesn't finish in the top 5 in the recruiting rankings and above Alabama. Let's use a consensus rank average of Rivals and Scout. Fair enough?
Including Scout will definitely drag it down since their algorithm doesn't include early enrollment or JUCO players (i.e. Cam Newton and four 4*s). And on top of that, they consider him, the #1 QB available, a 4*, even if they did count him towards our total.

But fuck it, if we rank in the top 3 in Rivals and Top 7 in Scout, then I win, and I think we land at least there.

Shit's on.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:33:55 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 12:29:47 PM »

Well then why do you think that Auburn landing a top 5 recruiting class as impossible?

5* Latt
4* Thorton
4* Whitaker
4* Mack
4* Lemonier

These are all stud recruits and from what I understand, ours to lose. Plus, if we can pull one more "suprise" out to fill our class, that would only help. We are ranked #5 now per Rivals, how the hell is the list above going to drop us? Texas is already ahead of us, and USC just lost their coach. I just don't see that many teams flying past us if we land the guys mentioned above.

Chad, clarify your bet. I wouldn't bet that we end up ahead of Alabama (it MAY happen) because Alabama has a hell of a class too, but the top 5 SHOULD happen, IF we don't lose anyone and get the people we are expecting to get...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 12:30:46 PM »
See all that poop on the table in front of that motherphuker? That's why.

Their history of "champeenchips" has nothing to do with the Bear signing 200 players just so other teams couldn't have them does it sensi? All fair and square? The REC and Bear having a stranglehold on the NCAA and wrapped around their little finger had nothing to do with it?  Oh yes, and what about control of the state and national media along with all the powerful lawyers and judges in the state......pure coincidence I assume, right Sensi?  Auburn has been hogtied the last 50 years like a mofo and the fact that we have done what we have is amazing. The way we have been handicapped down and labeled 2nd tier in the state makes the competitive nature of the Auburn/Alabama rivalry even more amazing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
"Fall flat on their face" for three quarters = leading the entire game until under a minute & a half, and then still being within 5 points and driving in the final seconds of the game.

Gotcha.
A few things......

1. AU's defense was playing a hell of a game. However, you can't expect them to go out and hold a team every time when the offense is going 3-and-out more often than not. When you go 3-and-out or less 8/11 drives over a three quarter period, that isn't good for your defense.

2. AU scored 14 points in the first quarter. AU scored 7 points to Alabama's 26 the rest of the game. Even though AU outgained UA as far as offensive yards, it was due to just a few big plays. Let me break down some AU drives for you:

2nd Quarter
3 plays -4 yards (PUNT)
3 plays -6 yards (PUNT)
3 plays 28 yards (FUMBLE/Alabama recovered)
6 plays 36 yards (PUNT)

3rd Quarter
3 plays 6 yards (PUNT)
2 plays 76 yards (TD)
3 plays -1 yard (PUNT)
2 plays 2 yards (INT)
5 plays 19 yards (PUNT)

4th Quarter
3 plays -16 yards (PUNT)
7 plays 38 yards (END OF GAME)

The first quarter accounted for 138 yards alone. The remaining three quarters COMBINED accounted for 178 yards. If it weren't for a mistake by Mark Barron in the 3rd, I doubt you guys would have got that TD. But, thats part of it. Bottom line is, AU came out with some scripted plays that Alabama hadn't really seen much of before. Kudos to you if you can do it and score some points. Thats part of football. It worked, and Alabama was shellshocked by it. But other than that, AU's offense fell flat on its face after the 1st quarter. If you can look at those drives I posted and come to any other conclusion, then wow.

3. Alabama's offense isn't as prolific as you claim Malzahn's to be. It isn't really built to come back from a deficit, and isn't really built to score 40 points a game or anything. I don't know if you noticed, but Alabama just kept going on about its business. They didn't panic, they didn't go apeshit and start throwing out all kinds of weird desperate shit. They just kept playing the game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 12:32:13 PM »
I guess in the context (and tone) that you used "over achievement" is comes across the same way it was an "over achievement" that Utah beat Alabama last year, or that Mississippi State won the SEC tournament last year.  It comes across like it's not indicative of our actual ability to recruit, but somehow is a fluke, not likely to be repeated.

As for Todd, I agree, he played great at times, took a beating at times, and kept on plugging away.  I'm not here to bury him, he actually set Auburn records this year....but there was a night and day in the way he played against Tennessee and the way he played against Arkansas/Kentucky/LSU.  There just was.

But the fact that Todd set Auburn records this year is all the more reason to expect more from the offense next year.  The truth is, he wasn't as bad as the 2008 staff made him look, but he isn't as good as this 2009 staff made him look.  For that, I expect more next year (no kool aid necessary, just my eyes and brain).

Can I interject who think would be a good replacement for Malzhan (who - to no blame of his own - should parlay any success here into a HC sooner than later)?

Curtis Luper. Discuss.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 12:34:33 PM »
Their history of "champeenchips" has nothing to do with the Bear signing 200 players just so other teams couldn't have them does it sensi? All fair and square? The REC and Bear having a stranglehold on the NCAA and wrapped around their little finger had nothing to do with it?  Oh yes, and what about control of the state and national media along with all the powerful lawyers and judges in the state......pure coincidence I assume, right Sensi?  Auburn has been hogtied the last 50 years like a mofo and the fact that we have done what we have is amazing. The way we have been handicapped down and labeled 2nd tier in the state makes the competitive nature of the Auburn/Alabama rivalry even more amazing.

The "dominant" comment was strictly referring to this year.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:35:57 PM by Mr. Sensible »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 12:35:41 PM »
So, this means for decades Auburn didn't dominate?  2004 didn't happen?  Does it mean we can't get there also?

I guess, I'm just not ready to concede to them being dominate in a larger sense.  This year?  Abso-fuckin'-lutely.  Over-all, in an Auburn can't compete sort of way?  No thank you.

Was in reference to this year only. Past is past. Future is unknown. What is - is. Unless you are Bill Clinton or RWS.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 12:36:23 PM »
Teh "dominant" comment was strictly referring to this year.

Ok...just keeping you honest  :)....although I won't concede that this team wasn't achieved by shady means either. I can't prove anything, but just saying....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
Ok...just keeping you honest  :)....although I won't concede that this team wasn't achieved by shady means either. I can't prove anything, but just saying....

Do you get good reception with that tinfoil?
    :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:39:32 PM by Mr. Sensible »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions