The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Coach Chizik gets it....
« on: November 29, 2009, 01:02:55 PM »
Auburn coach Gene Chizik will let others worry about bowls...he's recruiting
By Charles Goldberg -- The Birmingham News
November 28, 2009, 11:55AM

Gene Chizik fires up the fans at Tiger Walk on Friday

Gene Chizik said Saturday he's going to let other people worry about Auburn's bowl prospects.

He's thinking about recruiting.

The Auburn coach looked back at the Tigers' 26-21 loss to Alabama on Friday, but also was focused very much with an eye on the future. Auburn has already made inroads with some big-time commitments this recruiting year. Chizik wants more, so he'll let bowl committees and Auburn administrators sort out the Tigers' post-season plans.

"I'm worried about recruiting. That's what I worried about right now,'' Chizik said. "That's what we're going to do. We're hitting the road starting (as soon as possible)."

Chizik said his message to recruits is: "We're really excited about the future. I think it's really, really bright. In recruiting, the opportunities for these young guys to come in and be a part of a very special place, a very special family, and having a chance to play early early in their careers is across the board. It's evident by the number of scholarship players we're playing with right now. There are just opportunities out there."

Chizik said he entertained a new wave of prospects Friday and Saturday.

"We've been meeting with our recruits all last night and all this morning and throughout the day, and it's overwhelming the response that their parents and they have felt by our fan base.''

Chizik, of course, wants a good bowl because "we want to give our kids the opportunity to play in the best bowl they can. They've earned that."

**Chizik was asked if he's satisfied with his first regular season as head coach.

"Satisfied with the fact of us building a foundation in what we know will be great here,'' he said. "We've done that. Are there some games like yesterday that we wished we could have pulled out? There's no question about it. We've have a chance for eight wins in our first year, but, more importantly, we have set down a foundation for what we think for a very, very bright future here. I think that was evident for everybody yesterday.''

**On the game, Chizik said, "We had some chances in the second half with good field position, I just wish we would have been able to capitalize on.

"Even their drives, much of the game was starting at the 40 or beyond, and defensively it put us in a bind. Field position issues at the end of the day, with special teams, that cost us some points.

**Auburn's immediate plans are this:

"We're really going to focus on the academic world, not that we don't during the year. We're going to let our guys heal up. We're going to give them an opportunity for their bodies to heal until we find out what's going on."

**On the benefits of bowl practice:

"I think it's really big. It's an opportunity for us to get an `X' amount of practices in, really a whole spring practice. All those reps that accumulate over time.''
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Re: Coach Chizik gets it....
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 04:33:31 PM »
So far I'm impressed with Chizik, we need to finish strong in recruiting.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 09:00:16 AM »
If you mean he gets that he needs to say things fans want to hear - bingo.

If you mean he gets it as in college football coaching or recruiting - FAIL. The jury is way out on this one. All he's proven so far is he can get Auburn to beat (most of) the mediocre teams in the SEC. He hasn't proven he can manage a clock in the final minutes of a game (or manage the coaches that manage said clock).

This story is far from over, so I'm not ready to call him a FAIL yet, but I'm not putting on the jersey, throwing shit tickets in the trees, or firing up the band yet either.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 10:18:31 AM by Mr. Sensible »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 09:26:56 AM »
Let's hope that he can finish strong in 'cruitin this year.  We need Mower Stars.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 09:47:19 AM »
 :s&m:
[quote author=The Prowler  Coach Chizik gets it....

If you mean he gets it as in college football coaching or recruiting - FAIL. The jury is way out on this one. All he's proven so far is he can get Auburn to beat (most of) the mediocre teams in the SEC. He hasn't proven he can manage a clock in the final minutes of a game (or manage the coaches that manage said clock).

This story is far from over, so I'm not ready to call him a FAIL yet, but I'm not putting on the jersey, throwing poop tickets in the trees, or firing up the band yet either.

I didnt see Prowler say that in his post.

Or did you just get silly with the quote feature? LOL
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:48:05 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Greaseyweasel

• Love Auburn, Hate chizik. 'nuff said.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 06:02:10 PM »
He reminds me a lot of a certain bammer coach. No not satan but rather his predecessor.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You've got to learn to stand for something

or you'll fall for anything.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 06:40:59 PM »

This story is far from over, so I'm not ready to call him a FAIL yet, but I'm not putting on the jersey, throwing shit tickets in the trees, or firing up the band yet either.
So...Coach Chizik is a FAIL at recruiting?  But then you follow it up with, "the jury is way out on this one".  I think Coach Chizik has done a really good job so far and I'm not even talking about Recruiting.  When Auburn lands most of their remaining "Big Cats", that they have left on the board, I think people like yourself and of course greaseybammer will be singing a different tune about his recruiting abilities.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 07:50:31 PM »
So...Coach Chizik is a FAIL at recruiting?  But then you follow it up with, "the jury is way out on this one".  I think Coach Chizik has done a really good job so far and I'm not even talking about Recruiting.  When Auburn lands most of their remaining "Big Cats", that they have left on the board, I think people like yourself and of course greaseybammer will be singing a different tune about his recruiting abilities.
....and we're still talking about his recruiting triumphs before his first full class has even sent in their LOIs. Amazing. After hearing "they haven't even played a down of college ball yet!!!" for the past three years.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 08:36:50 PM »
....and we're still talking about his recruiting triumphs before his first full class has even sent in their LOIs. Amazing. After hearing "they haven't even played a down of college ball yet!!!" for the past three years.....
You didn't hear that from me, because I know that some prospects will be studs out of the gate, some will take a few years to get up to the speed and some won't be able to handle it...regardless of their $tar Power.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 08:50:06 PM »

I wouldn't go that far. Chizik isn't any kind of media or fan darling....he gives credit to Auburn fans, as is their due, but I am hard pressed to think of anyone who is stingier with info or just plain words period. I don't think he's interested in swaying the fans.
Did it happen to be what we wanted to hear? yes. But he didn't just say he was gonna hit the road, he hit it. Good enough for me right now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 08:57:42 PM »
I wouldn't go that far. Chizik isn't any kind of media or fan darling....he gives credit to Auburn fans, as is their due, but I am hard pressed to think of anyone who is stingier with info or just plain words period. I don't think he's interested in swaying the fans.
Did it happen to be what we wanted to hear? yes. But he didn't just say he was gonna hit the road, he hit it. Good enough for me right now.
Don't go inserting logic this discussion...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 09:03:31 PM »
Don't go inserting logic this discussion...

Facts and logic are a fucking bitch aint they?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 09:21:29 PM »
Yes AUsweetheart, whenever you insert Facts and/or Logic into the conversation just remember that one of the posters, that you're responding to, is this guy:

I'll let you guess which one it is......
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:22:00 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 09:36:04 PM »
Look, when Corch Saybins came in, Bama was somewhere in the neighborhood talentwise to where Auburn is now.  Competitive but no threat to win a championship.  He pounded the F'n pavement and brought in two killer recruiting classes to bring the program up to speed and now they're in the MNC mix.

If you look at the way this Auburn class is quickly shaping up, you'll realize that if they close with a few more studs...the first piece of the puzzle will be in place.  As long as Chizik and his staff continue to go at recruiting with the same fire as they have to date, this program is going to be in the MNC hunt very soon as well. 

He can coachspeak all the hell he wants.  As long as he's out there busting his ass for his millions and more importantly, for Auburn, I'm cool with what he's done so far and I'd say, "He gets it".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 09:49:57 PM »
I personally don't give a damn if he never opens his mouth again to anyone but players and recruits.  I don't want him to talk, just to win football games. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Greaseyweasel

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 10:29:44 PM »
TW we are much better if he does just as you request. Of course he does need to let someone talk to the recruits though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 11:06:52 PM »
Of course he does need to let someone talk to the recruits though.

Why? All the AU players that played for him before love him....these kids now seem to love him. I don't give a shit what he tell us...whatever he tells them seems to be working.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

boartitz

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 11:24:26 PM »
I been trying to tell yall. Us and yall next year. Fuck Bammer and LSU.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Greaseyweasel

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 06:15:02 AM »
Why? All the AU players that played for him before love him.
Ummmmmm, uhhhhh no they don't. some do others don't. That is a very bold speculative statement you put forth as fact. This shows that YOU like/love him and are trying to build him up. That is just like some players on this team love him and others can't stand him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 08:57:55 AM »
Ummmmmm, uhhhhh no they don't. some do others don't. That is a very bold speculative statement you put forth as fact. This shows that YOU like/love him and are trying to build him up. That is just like some players on this team love him and others can't stand him.

No. Several players, including Carlos Rogers, came back to his press conference when he was announced the coach. Every recruit and every player that is interviewed says they love Chizik and he is a "father" figure to them. Your statement above is stupid.

My pendulum has swung back over to the "Chizik supporting" side. We played well the last couple of weeks, but just couldn't pull out a couple of games. If we land some of these guys that we are going after, as HB said, the foundation will be set. He says and does the right things to the media, fans and apparently players.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions