1. Pete Carroll, USC 9 95 17 0 .848 6-2
2. Urban Meyer, UF 9 92 17 0 .844 5-1
3. Bob Stoops, OU 11 114 28 0 .803 4-7
4. Mark Richt, UGA 9 87 26 0 .770 6-2
5. Gary Patterson, TCU 10 82 27 0 .752 5-3
6. Joe Paterno, PSU 44 391 129 3 .750 23-11-1
7. Bobby Bowden, FSU 44 386 128 4 .749 21-10-1

Couple of things stand out at me. 

Only two people on this list don't have a NC.  Richt and Patterson. 

We could have had Patterson and at least one of those omissions would have been eliminated.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
Re: Winningest Active Coaches
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 02:17:56 PM »
I knew Stoops usually blows the bowl games, but I didn't know it was THAT bad.  Did Bowden ever have to vacate those wins due to NCAA infractions, and is that reflected here?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 02:45:28 PM »
Patterson is a good coach with an impressive record..........

I just have never believed that he would have been a good hire at Auburn.....know why you think so and no problem with the thought process......

I just do not believe that a good  record compiled at TCU transfers automatically into success elsewhere.....there is a/are reason(s) no one else has hired him.

Not trying to re-open or rehash the coaching search hire.......but from what I know, have seen & been told...I like our guy and this staff and what they have done to date.

Let the assassination attempts begin  :suicide:

WAR EAGLE
 :wartim:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I, We, They.....The Illuminati

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 04:55:49 PM »
That list is interesting only because Georgia fans are serious about discussing Richt's future. 

Gary Patterson is a good to great coach, but I really think we needed something unconventional with this staff.  I think Patterson was too bland. 

Turner Gill had the race card, but that would have faded just like Croom at Miss St.  Chizik brought in Troop and Lupe along with Malzahn's offense. 

We now compete in recruiting with the big time programs.  Patterson wouldn't have done that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 07:00:04 PM »
Could not disagree more vehemently with the two opinions above.

Winners win. Patterson isn't a flash in the pan. He has established a clear pattern of long term success at TCU. Not a single season wunderkind but a lengthy pattern of success.

He's done it while recruiting head to head with Texas, OU, A&M and Nebraska.

All the things you collectively said were stacked against Chizik at ISU also face Patterson at TCU.

Every "yeah but he didn't have Auburn players, facilities, fans etc. applied to Chiziks failures also apply to Pattersons  successes.

Winners win. Ask Urban Meyer.

Bland? Fuck me. I'll take 10 or 11 bland ass wins every single fucking season. That's what his bland gives TCU.

I may be wrong about many things. But mark this for I am not. Patterson jumps to a major program? They win a NC within three years.  I am utterly convinced we would have too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 07:34:45 PM »
Patterson was my choice. Would have done wonders on the Plains.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

jadennis

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 09:49:13 PM »
I wouldn't have minded Patterson, he's basically another Tuberville in a lot of ways (defense and ball control).

However, I think it's way, way too simplistic to say "winners win".  Not in the mood to track them down, but there are plenty of guys that succeeded at lesser programs and didn't when they moved on to big time football.  Heck, first one that comes to mind is Patterson's predecessor, Coach Fran.  Dan Hawkins at Colorado is another that comes to mind.  Our own Jeff Lebo is a good hoops example.  Mark Dantonio moved from Cincy to Michigan State...he's not doing so hot.  What was that guys name that went from Pitt to Stanford?  Walt Harris or something?  He won 8+ games his last three years at Pitt, then won 5 games in year one and 1 game in year two at Stanford.   Fired.

Patterson may well have won here, but he also may not have.  Every move up doesn't work out like Urban Meyer.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 09:49:45 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 10:08:21 PM »
Our talent level is what it is.  We have more talent than we showed last year but certainly not enough to compete for SEC titles right now.  If someone came in and tried to play defense first and conservative on O...we'd be 4-6 at best right now and wondering why the hell we hired this guy.  First and foremost, we have to get the athletes in here before ANYONE can prove themselves as a coach in this situation. 

I give Chizik credit for two things.  First, implementing a system (Through Malzahn) that maximizes the talent we do have.  Second, creating an atmosphere and/or a buzz (Through the assistants) with our recruiting efforts to seemingly get the ball rolling in the right direction to quickly bring top flight athletes in so we can compete. 

Is Chizik a good coach?  Still don't know if he's the right guy for the job.  I liken him to my feelings on Chris Todd.  They've both done some real good things to this point but I'm still not comfortable going to battle with either one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 11:47:29 PM »
"if Patterson jumps to a major program" ---Kaos

He has been at TCU for 9 years....why is it every major program is so blind to this wunderkind coach?

Why has not someone picked him up?

Your Urban example........only took him 4 years as a HC to land a big time job.............
Again why 9 years and no offer for Patterson......please answer this for I would like to know...........not every major FBS program has JJ as the AD and YellerMan & the Bankrupt Banker screwing everything up :doh:

and to use our very own hero...Pat Dye...only took him 7 years before he got his shot at AU...........

9 years of success is a long time to be at TCU w/o one single major FBS school even giving you a serious interview..............heck Sullivan was at TCU only 3 years before LSU hired him and then that crazy-ass AD Joe Dean Sr. screwed Pat royally

you can't answer these questions & neither can I.........but my bet is there are those who can.

WAR EAGLE

ps: I few things that stand out to me on that list

Carroll was a so-so coach in  the NFL and had no college HC experience
Paterno, Richt and Stoops also had no HC experience when hired and were not proven "winners" as a HC
Bowden coached at 1 very small program (and won), one so-so program (and won) & then took over at a former all girls teacher college/homecoming opponent team and built a dynasty....both AU & uat made serious efforts to hire the man in the 1980's........didn't work out.

Patterson has been at TCU for a while and before that labored away at mostly small programs.........maybe he is in his comfort zone and has no desire to move...........

Urban is Urban and UF got him and the rest of us did not....
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 12:14:34 AM by eagleair89 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 01:04:49 AM »
"if Patterson jumps to a major program" ---Kaos

He has been at TCU for 9 years....why is it every major program is so blind to this wunderkind coach?

Why has not someone picked him up?

Your Urban example........only took him 4 years as a HC to land a big time job.............
Again why 9 years and no offer for Patterson......please answer this for I would like to know...........not every major FBS program has JJ as the AD and YellerMan & the Bankrupt Banker screwing everything up :doh:

and to use our very own hero...Pat Dye...only took him 7 years before he got his shot at AU...........

9 years of success is a long time to be at TCU w/o one single major FBS school even giving you a serious interview..............heck Sullivan was at TCU only 3 years before LSU hired him and then that crazy-ass AD Joe Dean Sr. screwed Pat royally

you can't answer these questions & neither can I.........but my bet is there are those who can.

WAR EAGLE

ps: I few things that stand out to me on that list

Carroll was a so-so coach in  the NFL and had no college HC experience
Paterno, Richt and Stoops also had no HC experience when hired and were not proven "winners" as a HC
Bowden coached at 1 very small program (and won), one so-so program (and won) & then took over at a former all girls teacher college/homecoming opponent team and built a dynasty....both AU & uat made serious efforts to hire the man in the 1980's........didn't work out.

Patterson has been at TCU for a while and before that labored away at mostly small programs.........maybe he is in his comfort zone and has no desire to move...........

Urban is Urban and UF got him and the rest of us did not....

Patterson is looking for the right opportunity, not any opportunity.  He's a smart guy.  He's not going to jump from TCU to Memphis or somewhere like that just for the sake of jumping. 

He's built something good at TCU and it would take the right offer to make him leave.  We had the right offer and Jacobs chose not to exercise it.  I'm pretty sure I know why but since part of my knowledge is actually speculation I'm going to leave it alone. 

All I'll say about it is that the reasons were short-sighted and self-absorbed. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 08:49:34 AM »
Patterson is looking for the right opportunity, not any opportunity.  He's a smart guy.  He's not going to jump from TCU to Memphis or somewhere like that just for the sake of jumping. 

That's a quick dodge from the eagleair's actual question.

I agree that Patterson is a helluva a coach, and I was in his corner somewhat during the Auburn search.

The question, however, was: why hasn't the "right opportunity" or attractive offer been made available to Patterson in nearly a decade?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 09:37:25 AM »

I agree that Patterson is a helluva a coach, and I was in his corner somewhat during the Auburn search.

The question, however, was: why hasn't the "right opportunity" or attractive offer been made available to Patterson in nearly a decade?

Thats the only thing that has concerned me about Patterson. Why has no school went after him?

I often wondered the same about Mike Leach until last year - and I found my answer. Guy is a nut. Arrrgggggggghhhh!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 09:54:40 AM »

What jobs have been out there in the last five years? 

Iowa State?  He's not stupid.
Tennessee? They needed bigger sizzle.
Auburn? Idiot athletic director.

I can't answer why he hasn't been made that offer.  He's come up in connection to a couple of jobs but has a pretty big buyout ($1 M or more) for a smaller school guy.  He's also rebuffed pretty quickly the few who did come calling like Minnesota.  He checked out that situation and decided it wasn't for him.

I don't know know anything, but I have heard that he was on the Auburn list, but didn't want to have the "front door" meeting Jacobs insisted on.  Wanted to be able to evaluate the situation and make a decision without having to go back and explain to his players and possible recruits if he decided to stay put.  Our AD wouldn't do that.  It had to be public.  So he Patterson refused to talk to him at all.  That's the short version, anyway.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 10:01:01 AM »
I think it's pretty well known that Patterson is apparently not a good interview for ADs.  But with his winning, that alone can't be the reason he is still at TCU, so it must be part him, part ADs not finding him "attractive" during an interview.

I would have to go with the latter being the biggest reason.  Of course he wouldn't go from TCU to Memphis, but in the last 6 years or so, think of all the programs that have been in a coaching search...

Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, LSU, South Carolina, Tennessee, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Miami, North Carolina, NC State, Kansas State (twice), Colorado, Baylor, Florida, UCLA, Stanford, Arizona State, Louisville, West Virginia, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Indiana, Illinois, Arkansas, Arizona, etc.

And those are just the ones I can come up with in my head going through each conference.  It is just odd that not one of those listed, and the majority of those listed are upgrades from TCU, were never the right fit....for whatever reason.  

Who knows, maybe he just wants to stay there and continue to build it over the next 20 years.  Like EA said, he has to be pretty comfortable, winning 10+ five of the last seven years (about to be 6 of 8) will do that.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:35:37 AM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 10:16:29 AM »
What jobs have been out there in the last five years? 

Tennessee? They needed bigger sizzle.
Auburn? Idiot athletic director.

That's a ridiculously half-assed list.  You're better than that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 10:23:13 AM »

So you are saying it is hard to win there?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 10:23:50 AM »
Charles Strong was my pick, no one listens to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 10:42:18 AM »
Charles Strong was my pick, no one listens to me.

I wanted Chizik from the start. I met him at the airport...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 10:43:31 AM »
but I have heard that he was on the Auburn list, but didn't want to have the "front door" meeting Jacobs insisted on.  Wanted to be able to evaluate the situation and make a decision without having to go back and explain to his players and possible recruits if he decided to stay put." - Kaos

There is a reason for this (I think I know one of the major factors of this) and I blame neither Patterson or JJ (bless his little heart) for not coming to terms on this sticking point.  (There was/is a lot of "family" history on both sides that made each man stick to his guns on this point)

........but has a pretty big buyout ($1 M or more) for a smaller school guy. - Kaos

His buyout is large........BNSF (the railroad) has been, & I think still is, the major $$$ behind TCU Football since at least the 90's...they have a little bit of cash to throw around.......the support (read corporate $$$) for TCU football is pretty dang good, all things considered.

but in the last 6 years or so, think of all the programs that have been in a coaching search...Kansas State (twice) - jadennis

This is just me.......but why he is not at K-State surprises me......it is his alma mater (he was born in Kansas & played & coached D for K-State) and the Big 12 North is there for the taking......and K-State can and has won the Big 12 Championship Game...why retread Snyder instead of getting one of your own who is younger and successful...................money/support might have been an issue here....& imho K-State might be a lateral move from where he is.

WAR EAGLE
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:56:13 AM by eagleair89 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 10:45:22 AM »
I wanted Chizik from the start. I met him at the airport...

were you the one that was too stupid to realize he was not on that flight?  Or were you one of the crowd that showed up when Chizik was actually on the plane?

:rofl:

WAR EAGLE
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions