Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Winningest Active Coaches

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Re: Winningest Active Coaches
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2009, 02:25:18 AM »
Except that no one...ever...has done so on a consistent basis.  Even McCarney (longest tenured and most successful coach in ISU history) left with a sub-40% winning percentage.

You're a talented writer.  You can argue a point occasionally.  But shit like this makes me shake my head and chuckle at you.  No one can say what you said above with any certainty at all.  It's a positively moronic statement predicated on nothing more than conjecture and wishful thinking.
Only 1 coach in the past 75 years has left Isu with a winning record! In the early 80's, he won 2 more than he lost.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2009, 08:40:37 AM »

You're a talented writer.  You can argue a point occasionally.  But poop like this makes me shake my head and chuckle at you.  No one can say what you said above with any certainty at all.  It's a positively moronic statement predicated on nothing more than conjecture and wishful thinking.

No....

It's my considered opinion based on the evidence in front of me.  

Go all the way back to 1960 with TCU.  Between 1960 and Patterson's first year as head coach there, the Horned Frogs had two seven win seasons, two eight win seasons and one ten-win season.  

In that same 41 year span, TCU had 28 seasons of four or fewer wins.  

Back it on up if you want to.  Between 1938 and 1960 -- another 22 years -- a total of seven seasons with seven or more wins.  Ten of four or fewer.  

So in the 63 years before Patterson arrived, TCU had a total of 12 seasons of seven or more wins.  That's 19%.  In that 63 year span, TCU had two seasons of ten or more wins (one of those coming in 1938).  3%.  

SIXTY percent of the time, TCU was a four-win team or worse. 

Guess what, wes?  That's ISU bad.  It's worse than ISU.

Since Patterson?  Six seasons of ten or more wins.  No seasons of four or fewer.  He's been there nine years.  Six of his nine teams (67%) have won ten or more games. 

TCU's beaten Northwestern, Southern Miss, Louisville, Houston, Tulane, Vanderbilt (30-13), Arizona, South Florida, Cincy, Army, Oklahoma, Utah (and Meyer), Wyoming, New Mexico, Air Force, Iowa State, BYU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Stanford and Boise State during that span. 

So you can't even use the inferior competition ruse.

As for somebody who said he's "a defensive guy, like Tuberville" it should be noted that his teams score an average of about 380 points a season (Nearly 32 ppg) which is better than all but one of Tub's seasons.   

If he can do it at TCU in a similar "nobody can win there" situation, and do it as consistently as he has, there's no logical reason to believe he couldn't have similar results at ISU.  

The only moron here is.... well..... not me.  

People should do their fucking homework. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 08:50:09 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2009, 08:56:18 AM »
the type/quality of player that TCU gets has not changed much if any since 1960.

Since 1996 the quality/type of opponent TCU faces has been downgraded significantly.

make of it what you will.

WAR EAGLE
 :wartim:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 08:57:05 AM by eagleair89 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I, We, They.....The Illuminati

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2009, 09:20:06 AM »
the type/quality of player that TCU gets has not changed much if any since 1960.

Since 1996 the quality/type of opponent TCU faces has been downgraded significantly.

make of it what you will.

WAR EAGLE

Northwestern, Southern Miss, Louisville, Houston, Tulane, Vanderbilt (30-13), Arizona, South Florida, Cincy, Army, Oklahoma, Utah (and Meyer), Wyoming, New Mexico, Air Force, Iowa State, BYU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Stanford and Boise State. 

Says you're not thinking straight. 

A quick check of the schedules shows not a whole lot of difference, but I only went back to the 80s.  Same basic teams:  Baylor, Rice, USM, Western Michigan, blah, blah, blah. 

Definitely not a "significant downgrade" by any stretch. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2009, 09:23:15 AM »
Northwestern, Southern Miss, Louisville, Houston, Tulane, Vanderbilt (30-13), Arizona, South Florida, Cincy, Army, Oklahoma, Utah (and Meyer), Wyoming, New Mexico, Air Force, Iowa State, BYU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Stanford and Boise State.  

Says you're not thinking straight.  

A quick check of the schedules shows not a whole lot of difference, but I only went back to the 80s.  Same basic teams:  Baylor, Rice, USM, Western Michigan, blah, blah, blah.  

Definitely not a "significant downgrade" by any stretch.  

try another cup of coffee and look again.

if you want to go on comparing the old SWC to the current MWC....ok, have fun...I am off  the Athens  :)

WAR EAGLE
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 09:25:05 AM by eagleair89 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I, We, They.....The Illuminati

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2009, 09:28:19 AM »
try another cup of coffee and look again.

if you want to go on comparing the old SWC to the current MWC....ok, have fun...I am off  the Athens  :)

WAR EAGLE

Don't drink coffee.  And there's no need.  

Not a significant difference.   The list of teams I gave you speaks for itself.  And those are just the wins (some of them multiples).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 09:29:00 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2009, 09:39:55 AM »
No....

It's my considered opinion based on the evidence in front of me.  

Blah...blah

If he can do it at TCU in a similar "nobody can win there" situation, and do it as consistently as he has, there's no logical reason to believe he couldn't have similar results at ISU.  

The only moron here is.... well..... not me.  

People should do their fucking homework. 

Fuck you and your fucking homework. There is no way to draw direct comparisons like you're attempting to do between two programs that are on different levels within their sport, playing different opponents each year.

So, you may hold the "considered opinion" that you do, but it is still laughable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2009, 09:56:39 AM »
phuk you and your phuking homework. There is no way to draw direct comparisons like you're attempting to do between two programs that are on different levels within their sport, playing different opponents each year.

So, you may hold the "considered opinion" that you do, but it is still laughable.

Actually, wes, that's the ONLY way to make comparisons -- based on the evidence presented.  Similar situations you can expect similar results.  Obviously you can't take Patterson and plunk him down in Ames as an experiment, so if you're going to make a judgement, you have to take what is there and make a critical evaluation.

Why do you hire someone (unless you're Jay Jacobs and looking at your shit on toilet paper trying to discern some meaning)?  You hire them because their past performance in a situation indicates that they might be a good candidate for the position in question. 

Why did Alabama hire Nick Saban?  Because they liked his vocabulary?  You look at what they've done in the past and predict what they will do in the future in a similar situation.

Based on the circumstances at both TCU and ISU, the evidence suggests (quite strongly) that Patterson would succeed at ISU. 

The only -- ONLY -- conjecture and bullshit here is on the part of those who have zero evidence to the contrary and attempt to make that argument. 

I've shown you ample evidence of Patterson's ability to take a situation just as dire as ISU and completely alter the dynamic. 

Why don't you show me some proof that he isn't capable of doing so?   Until then, wes ?  The laugh is on you. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2009, 12:30:31 PM »
No one "succeeds" at ISU. Florida can make anyone look good. TCU is probably pulling off of A&M's recent failures and Richt's days are numbered at UG. Two on the list are legends, but now dinosaurs. Jimbo Fisher is similar to Richt. 

Carroll makes marginal opponents look much better than they are.

TCU and Cincy are the new WVU and VaTech and they will not last.

Petrino made Louisville viable for a couple of years and Rutgers is Syracuse with a head coach.

Good coach- bad league or vice versa. Location and timing. You can't use a toilet in an urban McDonalds, but they can still turn a profit without quality or hygiene. I know, I know, WTF!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2009, 02:42:52 PM »
Actually, wes, that's the ONLY way to make comparisons -- based on the evidence presented.  Similar situations you can expect similar results.  Obviously you can't take Patterson and plunk him down in Ames as an experiment, so if you're going to make a judgement, you have to take what is there and make a critical evaluation.

Why do you hire someone (unless you're Jay Jacobs and looking at your shit on toilet paper trying to discern some meaning)?  You hire them because their past performance in a situation indicates that they might be a good candidate for the position in question. 

Why did Alabama hire Nick Saban?  Because they liked his vocabulary?  You look at what they've done in the past and predict what they will do in the future in a similar situation.

Based on the circumstances at both TCU and ISU, the evidence suggests (quite strongly) that Patterson would succeed at ISU. 

The only -- ONLY -- conjecture and bullshit here is on the part of those who have zero evidence to the contrary and attempt to make that argument. 

I've shown you ample evidence of Patterson's ability to take a situation just as dire as ISU and completely alter the dynamic. 

Why don't you show me some proof that he isn't capable of doing so?   Until then, wes ?  The laugh is on you. 

Fair enough. Caught me prior to my caffeine this morning.

I was taking issue with your laughable sense of certainty in your "considered opinion."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
TCU and Cincy are the new WVU and VaTech and they will not last.
Wait, what is this TCU will not last? Its not like the success they have is newfound.

2002: 10-2
2003: 11-2
2004: 5-6
2005: 11-1
2006: 11-2
2007: 8-5
2008: 11-2
2009: 9-0

Thats 76-20 over 8 years, and not bad. Looks like they have a rebuilding year every few years, but other than that, seem to be OK.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

jmar

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2009, 05:28:44 PM »
Out of the SWC since '94, this team has found its niche in lesser conferences against inferior opponents. All hail TCU! Nice run though I agree.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2009, 06:14:18 PM »

Here ya go...... :popcorn:

Gary Patterson 1996-1998 Idaho Vandals HC

Head coaching record
1996 UI 6–5 (3–2)
1997 UI 5–6 (2–3)
1998 UI 3–9 (1–4)

Idaho: 14–20 (6–9)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2009, 08:36:41 PM »
Okay history shows two seasons of success at ISU are possible. It is a place to make a name until some school notices you and nothing more.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2009, 07:16:33 AM »
Here ya go...... :popcorn:

Gary Patterson 1996-1998 Idaho Vandals HC

Head coaching record
1996 UI 6–5 (3–2)
1997 UI 5–6 (2–3)
1998 UI 3–9 (1–4)

Idaho: 14–20 (6–9)
:pwnd:
friendly
funny