Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Winningest Active Coaches

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Winningest Active Coaches
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 11:01:01 AM »
I wanted Chizik from the start. I met him at the airport...
I wanted a winner not a loser...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 07:40:56 PM »
I wanted Chizik from the start. I met him at the airport...
Oh yeah, well I told him to get off my farm.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 08:40:11 PM »

So you are saying it is hard to win there?

Well played, sir.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2009, 02:24:07 PM »
Patterson was my choice. Would have done wonders on the Plains.

Prolly very good, if this was the schuedule and we did not play in the SEC: Two very weak teams in the top 20 and SQUAT after that.

Sat, Sep 12 at Virginia W 30-14  
  Sat, Sep 19 Texas State W 56-21  
  Sat, Sep 26 at Clemson W 14-10  
  Sat, Oct 3 Southern Methodist W 39-14  
  Sat, Oct 10 at Air Force W 20-17  
  Sat, Oct 17 Colorado State W 44-6  
  Sat, Oct 24 at (16) Brigham Young W 38-7  
  Sat, Oct 31 UNLV W 41-0  
  Sat, Nov 7 at San Diego State W 55-12  Audio
  Sat, Nov 14 (16) Utah 7:30 pm  
  Sat, Nov 21 at Wyoming 2:00 pm  
  Sat, Nov 28 New Mexico 1:00 pm
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 02:39:49 PM by dallaswareagle »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

dallaswareagle

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 02:42:42 PM »
And I would say recruiting is going a little different for us:

TCU   2010

QB  101    Sam Carter                           2 stars
(Morton Ranch HS)
Katy, TX    6-0.5/210/4.60  07/29/2009 
  TCU 
S  NR    Stephen Bryant                         1 star                     
(New Deal HS)
New Deal, TX   -/-  06/23/2009
  TCU 
S  141    Travaras Battle                        2 star
(Jay HS)
San Antonio, TX   5-10/175/4.40  06/15/2009
  TCU 
OLB  106    Marcus Mallett                       2 star
(Cleveland HS)
Cleveland, TX    6-1/200/4.80  02/27/2009
  TCU 
OLB  48    Blake Roberts                          3 star
(Lee HS)
Tyler, TX    6-3/210/4.60  02/12/2009
  TCU 
DE  88    David Johnson                           3 star
(Argyle HS)
Argyle, TX    6-2/255/4.70  02/04/2009
  TCU 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

JR4AU

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 03:14:13 PM »
Could not disagree more vehemently with the two opinions above.

Winners win. Patterson isn't a flash in the pan. He has established a clear pattern of long term success at TCU. Not a single season wunderkind but a lengthy pattern of success.

He's done it while recruiting head to head with Texas, OU, A&M and Nebraska.

All the things you collectively said were stacked against Chizik at ISU also face Patterson at TCU.

Every "yeah but he didn't have Auburn players, facilities, fans etc. applied to Chiziks failures also apply to Pattersons  successes.

Winners win. Ask Urban Meyer.

Bland? Fuck me. I'll take 10 or 11 bland ass wins every single fucking season. That's what his bland gives TCU.

I may be wrong about many things. But mark this for I am not. Patterson jumps to a major program? They win a NC within three years.  I am utterly convinced we would have too.

Patterson a winner?  Agree.  Does TCU play very good football?  Hell yes!  Does the Mtn. West play good football?  Absolutely!  BUT, they don't do it with SEC or Big 12 level players.  Utah can beat a sleepwalking bammer in a bowl game...they'd go 7-5 or 6-6 playing an SEC schedule with those players.  The coaches there can coach as good as any.  But they're not playing with the same players, or going head to head with Stoops, Brown, and the other big boys for 5 star talent.  TCU is batteling Texas Tech for the best of the rest after TX, OU, Neb, LSU, even Auburn now, and others come pick theirs, and then beating out SMU and such for the best Mtn. West level players.  But there is no comparing ISU's pathetic program that plays in one of the best 3 BCS conferences, to TCU's program that plays in a state loaded with players and a conference not loaded with talent. Would Patterson's success translate?  Smart money would say yes, but it's still a gamble, and not a sure thing. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 03:49:38 PM »
Well played, sir.

Never said it wasn't difficult.  It can be done.  Patterson would win at ISU, you can bank on that.

But the meaning was really that ISU is at the very best a step sideways from TCU.  It's probably a step down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 03:50:50 PM »
Patterson a winner?  Agree.  Does TCU play very good football?  Hell yes!  Does the Mtn. West play good football?  Absolutely!  BUT, they don't do it with SEC or Big 12 level players.  Utah can beat a sleepwalking bammer in a bowl game...they'd go 7-5 or 6-6 playing an SEC schedule with those players.  The coaches there can coach as good as any.  But they're not playing with the same players, or going head to head with Stoops, Brown, and the other big boys for 5 star talent.  TCU is batteling Texas Tech for the best of the rest after TX, OU, Neb, LSU, even Auburn now, and others come pick theirs, and then beating out SMU and such for the best Mtn. West level players.  But there is no comparing ISU's pathetic program that plays in one of the best 3 BCS conferences, to TCU's program that plays in a state loaded with players and a conference not loaded with talent. Would Patterson's success translate?  Smart money would say yes, but it's still a gamble, and not a sure thing. 

Urban Meyer says  :fu:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 03:52:28 PM »
And I would say recruiting is going a little different for us:

TCU   2010

QB  101    Sam Carter                           2 stars
(Morton Ranch HS)
Katy, TX    6-0.5/210/4.60  07/29/2009 
  TCU 
S  NR    Stephen Bryant                         1 star                     
(New Deal HS)
New Deal, TX   -/-  06/23/2009
  TCU 
S  141    Travaras Battle                        2 star
(Jay HS)
San Antonio, TX   5-10/175/4.40  06/15/2009
  TCU 
OLB  106    Marcus Mallett                       2 star
(Cleveland HS)
Cleveland, TX    6-1/200/4.80  02/27/2009
  TCU 
OLB  48    Blake Roberts                          3 star
(Lee HS)
Tyler, TX    6-3/210/4.60  02/12/2009
  TCU 
DE  88    David Johnson                           3 star
(Argyle HS)
Argyle, TX    6-2/255/4.70  02/04/2009
  TCU 

It went different for AU prior, too. 

AU has more "stars" than TCU by a good margin.  Who would you put money on if the two teams played tomorrow?  Your last ten dollars.... where does it go?

You just proved the fuck out of MY point dallas.  Thanks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2009, 03:53:52 PM »
Urban Meyer says  :fu:

Take off the boxing gloves and read the entire post...especially the first part of the last sentence.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2009, 03:58:37 PM »
Never said it wasn't difficult.  It can be done.  Patterson would win at ISU, you can bank on that.

But the meaning was really that ISU is at the very best a step sideways from TCU.  It's probably a step down.

Apples and oranges...TCU is a good program in a lesser league.  ISU is a miserable program in a very good league. 

MS State, Ole Miss, So. Carolina, and Kentucky would compete for, and usually win the WAC or Mtn West Crown every year with what they compete with at a mediocre (or less) level in the SEC. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2009, 04:14:54 PM »
It went different for AU prior, too.  

AU has more "stars" than TCU by a good margin.  Who would you put money on if the two teams played tomorrow?  Your last ten dollars.... where does it go?

You just proved the fuck out of MY point dallas.  Thanks.

It would go on Auburn, I see year in and year out TCU play that weak ass shit schedule, play anybody worth a damn and get killed. Auburn would kill them. Have you looked at their roster?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 04:16:02 PM by dallaswareagle »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2009, 04:28:26 PM »
It would go on Auburn, I see year in and year out TCU play that weak ass shit schedule, play anybody worth a damn and get killed. Auburn would kill them. Have you looked at their roster?

You do understand that "weak ass schedule" is relative don't you?  To an SEC team TCU's schedule would be a cake walk.  Not to a Mtn West team.  The fact they're playing with lesser players doesn't mean they're not playing good football, or well coached, just that they're not as big, strong, or as fast man for man as an SEC team.  I get tired of reading that kind of crap.  The fact that an SEC team would destroy Hoover HS, Spain Park, Bob Jones, Prattville, or whatever doesn't mean those aren't good HS teams, just that they're HS teams competing on a different level.  TCU might be Div 1 or FBS or whatever, but clearly they're not playing with the same talent as the perennial top 25 programs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2009, 04:37:02 PM »
You do understand that "weak ass schedule" is relative don't you?  To an SEC team TCU's schedule would be a cake walk.  Not to a Mtn West team.  The fact they're playing with lesser players doesn't mean they're not playing good football, or well coached, just that they're not as big, strong, or as fast man for man as an SEC team.  I get tired of reading that kind of crap.  The fact that an SEC team would destroy Hoover HS, Spain Park, Bob Jones, Prattville, or whatever doesn't mean those aren't good HS teams, just that they're HS teams competing on a different level.  TCU might be Div 1 or FBS or whatever, but clearly they're not playing with the same talent as the perennial top 25 programs.

Good point, I was about to make a comment on this, I was lucky enough to come back for two games-La Tech and ole miss, and have been to "whatever" conference games they have out here( 6 games of different teams), It is like watching two different level of teams, the speed, size, and ability in the SEC is on a different level.  TCU is a good team-against other TCU like teams.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2009, 04:56:48 PM »
All Y'all are crazy. I would take TCU and your money. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2009, 04:58:57 PM »
Good point, I was about to make a comment on this, I was lucky enough to come back for two games-La Tech and ole miss, and have been to "whatever" conference games they have out here( 6 games of different teams), It is like watching two different level of teams, the speed, size, and ability in the SEC is on a different level.  TCU is a good team-against other TCU like teams.

To bring this back around on point...

A coach that wins at this level is capable of coaching more talented players to the same level of success...USUALLY.  But as has been noted the REAL differences in winning at TCU and TX or Auburn, or bammer...is that you must recruit.  D-1 players are freaks of nature...even 2 and 3 stars are better athletes than most of us have even known.  But to win at the highest levels you have to recruit the best of the best, and they're not a dime a dozen...they're highly coveted.  Compared to the number of kids a program like TX, USC, OU, AU, Bammer would offer, there's scads of kids that TCU could play with and win with.  Note I said comparatively speaking. Still, Patterson is proving that among the Mtn. West teams, he's capable of getting the best that will play there, and coaching them up.  Still, not every Mtn West program really cares about football.  Even TCU has some patsies on it's schedule, and some programs that have to beg even the 2 stars to come play.  So, it's a step up to have to recruit against Saban, Meyer, Kiffen, even Chizik at this point it seems...and the pool from which to draw is smaller though the competition is tougher.  And further, the "off the field" crap is 10x, 20x more, and more pressure packed and scrutenized.  Kiffen can't utter a word without it be discected 15 different ways to try and make it some jab at another SEC coach or the officials now.  I'm convinced that some very fine coaches shy away from the big time jobs due to the fact that there's so little "coaching" involved.  It's a far different job to be an SEC coach than say a Div II coach, or even the coach at a WAC or Mtn West school, yet at the end of the day, your title is coach, and you're judged on Ws and Ls.  You can fail for a lot more reasons than not knowing football, and football players.  In fact, you can fail while being a very good on the field coach.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2009, 05:00:23 PM »

So, you really think Clemson would beat Auburn if they played tomorrow?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

JR4AU

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2009, 05:00:53 PM »

I never took the bet...but if I did, TODAY, I'd take TCU on a neutral field.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2009, 08:07:20 PM »
I never took the bet...but if I did, TODAY, I'd take TCU on a neutral field.
I don't think I would bet on TCU against any SEC team. Anywhere. Really.
I'm not saying they couldn't slip up and beat one, but bet on it, no.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2009, 09:38:09 PM »
Never said it wasn't difficult.  It can be done. 

Except that no one...ever...has done so on a consistent basis.  Even McCarney (longest tenured and most successful coach in ISU history) left with a sub-40% winning percentage.

Patterson would win at ISU, you can bank on that.

You're a talented writer.  You can argue a point occasionally.  But shit like this makes me shake my head and chuckle at you.  No one can say what you said above with any certainty at all.  It's a positively moronic statement predicated on nothing more than conjecture and wishful thinking.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.