Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kaos' way behind movie reviews

Re: Kaos' way behind movie reviews
« Reply #1700 on: August 05, 2014, 07:30:05 AM »
With the exception of Spider-Man, which the studio just can't seem to make anything decent out of, Marvel's superhero treatment is typically on point.

And oddly, Marvel Studios don't own the rights to Spider-Man (Sony Pictures does), which might explain why they aren't as good (although I enjoyed Spider-Man 1 and 2 - the ones that Sam Raimi did.)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #1701 on: August 06, 2014, 08:48:49 AM »
Guardians of the Galaxy

The leadership at Marvel clearly knows how to craft a superhero movie. Iron Man, Avengers and even Thor, CA all understand the proper mix of humor, action, seriousness and camp. With the exception of Spider-Man, which the studio just can't seem to make anything decent out of, Marvel's superhero treatment is typically on point.

Add Guardians to Marvel's long list of solid hits. In some ways it may be the best of all.

The only real drawback is a hard to follow storyline that introduced numerous people and places that sort of blended together in a miasma of space junk.

Chris Pratt did a good job as the goofy leader of a ragtag group of aliens. Bradley Cooper's raccoon and Vin diesel's tender hearted tree dominated the film and were the real stars.

Plenty of action. Plenty of intelligent humor. Just a very enjoyable movie.

Marvel completely gets what DC with its ponderous, brooding treatments of Superman and Batman as well as it's unwatchable trash like Green Lantern absolutely does not.

As a Batfan it really makes me wish the Crusader was a Marvel property. I'd love to see what they could do with his story.

Guardians is definitely worth seeing.  It's a fun ride that deftly hits all the right emotional buttons.

Based solely upon the universally great reviews this movie is getting, I went to see it last night. 

I won't gush as much most reviewers have, but it was a solidly entertaining movie.  I am not a comic fan and, frankly, when I first saw the trailer for this one back in the spring I was picking it to be a stinker.  A fucking raccoon and a tree?  Really?  I'll admit to being wrong, but I don't know that I'll beat a path to the box office when the inevitable sequel comes out.

It was good to see Merle from the Walking Dead back in action.  Nathan Filion was wasted in his "cameo."  Vin Diesel has the easiest role ever.  He literally had to speak 5 distinct words throughout the entire movie ("I am Groot" and "We are Groot").

The teaser after the credits was fun.  I loved that movie (for some fucking reason) as a kid and I'm curious to see what they do with a reboot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #1702 on: August 06, 2014, 09:44:01 AM »
The teaser after the credits was fun.  I loved that movie (for some fucking reason) as a kid and I'm curious to see what they do with a reboot.
No one laughs at a master of Quack Fu!

Young viral Lea Thompson.... :drool2: mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Oh how my 10 year old self wanted you so.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

« Reply #1703 on: August 06, 2014, 09:51:48 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #1704 on: August 06, 2014, 09:55:32 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

« Reply #1705 on: August 06, 2014, 09:57:04 AM »
sorry...virile

vir·ile
adjective \ˈvir-əl, ˈvir-ˌī(-ə)l, British also ˈvī(-ə)r-ˌī(-ə)l\

: having or suggesting qualities (such as strength and sexual energy) that are associated with men and that are usually considered attractive in men

Something wrong with your medulla oblongata!  I believe you're searching for "nubile."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #1706 on: August 06, 2014, 09:58:52 AM »
Hawt would suffice
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #1707 on: August 06, 2014, 10:00:29 AM »
vir·ile
adjective \ˈvir-əl, ˈvir-ˌī(-ə)l, British also ˈvī(-ə)r-ˌī(-ə)l\

: having or suggesting qualities (such as strength and sexual energy) that are associated with men and that are usually considered attractive in men

Something wrong with your medulla oblongata!  I believe you're searching for "nubile."
sexy...k? Wesus Christo!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #1708 on: August 06, 2014, 10:48:20 AM »
Watched Hot Fuzz. Sorry ths. It was not substantially better than Worlds End. In fact I liked it far less. Not even going to bother with a review.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #1709 on: August 10, 2014, 01:15:04 PM »
Lucy

At the end of the movie Scarlett intones "You have the knowledge. Now you know what to do with it."  I thought about that for a moment and then asked the people with me if they had any idea what we were supposed to do. They didn't know. I heard several others ask the same rhetorical question as we filed out. What ARE we supposed to do? No idea.

The film is pretty. It looks good but it's got some ridiculous holes.  It's a little like Limitless, that film with Bradley Cooper.  You've unlocked all this mental power but make stupid, basic mistakes that put everyone at risk?

I just didn't really get much out of this one at all. It was okay but just wasn't groundbreaking. I don't know if I believe that all the things she was represented as being able to do would actually be possible regardless of how much of the mind we could access.

Some interesting concepts that made you think wrapped in a silly and not fully explained storyline about Asian gangsters. They are really going to trust all that to a sweaty drunken cowboy?

Bleh.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #1710 on: August 10, 2014, 08:28:26 PM »

I read an interview with the director and he said to not read too much into that post-credit scene. It was just a way for him to have a little fun with the whole post-credits thing that Marvel normally does. Since GoG is eventually going to play a role in the Avengers movies, people were expecting a post-credit scene that may connect them, so Gunn instead decided to he wanted to play a little joke on the movie-goers. It was good, because even my wife got it, though my 16 year old son was completely lost.

I am hoping they bring Cosmo, the Russian space dog, back in the sequel. In the Marvel comic universe, he is sort of the administrator/leader of the Guardians at their headquarters in N.O.W.H.E.R.E
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 08:33:12 PM by Ranger12 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #1711 on: August 10, 2014, 11:20:24 PM »
It was good, because even my wife got it, though my 16 year old son was completely lost.

Good for her. 

It definitely went over a lot of people's heads. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #1712 on: August 13, 2014, 01:19:59 PM »
Snitch

Just a friendly reminder that no matter how charming Dwayne Johnson may be, he cannot act a single lick.  Nor can Susan Sarandon in this film.  Nor can Shane from Walking Dead.  About the only decently framed character is the ever popular Chalky White, here as a lower level drug dealer. 

Melina Kanadaredes is wasted in a throwaway role as the sad mother.  Wasted, too, is Benjamin Bratt in a small role that could have been handled by any random Latino actor and definitely didn't require his (limited) star power.

Silly story about a dad trading drug convictions to win his son's freedom -- a deal no decent DA would ever make.  Bad dialogue, uneven pacing, poor motivational exposition.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #1713 on: August 13, 2014, 01:21:32 PM »
War Games
A nice little film for what it was. 

Matthew Broderick is weirdly awkward and the story is now quite a bit dated considering what computers are able to do. 

Ally Sheedy in 21-year old prime, though?  With those high waisted pants and that yoga outfit?  Good times. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #1714 on: August 13, 2014, 01:42:54 PM »
War Games
A nice little film for what it was. 

Matthew Broderick is weirdly awkward and the story is now quite a bit dated considering what computers are able to do. 

Ally Sheedy in 21-year old prime, though?  With those high waisted pants and that yoga outfit?  Good times.
Or considering the WOPR would now be less powerful than my iPhone. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #1715 on: August 13, 2014, 01:52:01 PM »

Yea but the phone on the WOPR probably works.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #1716 on: August 13, 2014, 03:24:09 PM »
Yea but the phone on the WOPR probably works.

Siri also won't play tic-tac-toe. Stupid bitch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #1717 on: August 13, 2014, 03:26:33 PM »

But your Iphone can't bomb Russia.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #1718 on: August 13, 2014, 03:46:39 PM »

But your Iphone can't bomb Russia.
Says you. I have an app
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #1719 on: August 16, 2014, 01:49:47 AM »
Let's Be Cops

It came so close to being uproariously funny.  But the movie was just afraid to take that extra step and completely go over the edge.  On the few occasions when it did push past the norm it had some good comedy moments, but it would almost always defuse those by drifting back into some lame romance thing that nobody cared about whatsoever or it would decide to get serious for a minute or two or it would try to wring some emotional "loser makes good" drama out of it. 

It was funny in places, uneven and sporadic in many more.  Not the worst comedy I've ever seen.  Not the best, either. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions