Kaos' way behind movie reviews

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Kaos' way behind movie reviews
« Reply #1680 on: July 15, 2014, 04:30:27 PM »
Robocop

I so wish I'd seen this in theaters. 

The original movie was perfect for its time.  A great 80s movie that captured the outlandish greed and excess of that period perfectly.  Then they carried on with Robocop 2, Robocop 3, Robocop in the Hood, Robocop in Space, Robocop Takes Manhattan and all the rest of the really bad sequels.  I had no expectation that a reboot in 2014 could have anything new or interesting to add.

I was wrong. That was a great popcorn movie. 

When Vince Vaughn redid Psycho -- poorly -- the director opted for a shot-by-shot remake of the original. This film took the central concept and created its own -- and frankly much better -- story.

I liked the way it change the family dynamic from the original. I liked the way it handled the reconstruction much better. I liked the role Gary Oldman played, something that would have been very welcome in the original. 

This one lacked Ronny Cox pissing on Miguel Ferrer's shoes, but other than that pretty much every aspect of the 2014 film topped the 1987 version. And I didn't think that was remotely possible.  I loved the old Robocop. 

I especially liked the random nods to the previous movie that were hiding throughout the film like little Easter eggs. 

I'd buy this version of Robocop for a dollar. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #1681 on: July 20, 2014, 08:54:28 AM »
Upstream Color

I don't know if I should say this was a bad movie or brilliant movie.  It wasn't really entertaining.  Definitely an artistic yet nebulous attempt at discussing hypnotism and control and the effects it can have on people.  But much like Carruth's previous film Primer, it's left me thinking about it a lot.  I liked it, but I'm not really sure why.  Maybe it was weird enough to be intriguing but not too weird for me to throw it out.

City of Lost Children

The same guy that did the remarkable movie Amelie made a movie in the mid 90s about an industrial yet apocalyptic world that has a bad who steals children to harvest their dreams.  This movie succeeded in creating a memorable setting with strange, Gilliam-like characters and a bad guy who was rather creepy.  Ron Perlman did a great job portraying an oversized and ignorant brute who desperately wanted to save his little brother.

If you enjoy movies like Brazil, The Baron of Munchausen, or Dark City, you'll like City of Lost Children.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #1682 on: July 20, 2014, 09:08:05 AM »
Internship
Townhall needs a thread called 'movies nobody ever knew existed and where the fuck would you possibly find them' but I digress.

As Vince vaugnn/Owen Wilson movies go I've seen worse. The internship was far duller than they probably meant it to be. The "on the line" jokes lost steam after about the 43rd version.

I hate Owen Wilson with a passion. He has zero talent beyind a crappy hairdo and permanent duck face. He isn't "charming" and there's no way in hell Seth Rogen's 'Neighbors' wife would ever be into him. Ever. Wilson was the worst part of this movie, a whining blonde abortion of a character. Neither he nor Vaughn were believable in their roles as inspiration to a team of nerds. Nor would their complete ignorance have been a plus in earning google jobs.

But there were some mildly amusing moments along the way. None involving Wilson who was like a clubbed seal every time he was on screen, but a few. The rest of the cast was straight out of revenge of the nerds 101. 

Largely forgettable. But not the worst thing I've seen from this horribly unfunny brat pack.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #1683 on: July 20, 2014, 09:17:56 AM »

Townhall needs a thread called 'movies nobody ever knew existed and where the fuck would you possibly find them' but I digress.

Damnit.  I post my own movie reviews in my own threads and you tell me to put them here.  I put them here and you say start another thread.  What is it that you want, man?  What is it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #1684 on: July 20, 2014, 09:36:35 AM »
Damnit.  I post my own movie reviews in my own threads and you tell me to put them here.  I put them here and you say start another thread.  What is it that you want, man?  What is it?

I don't think you are posting about movies. That be the point of my snark.  These are dreams or something. Never heard of these things. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #1685 on: July 20, 2014, 09:42:52 AM »
I don't think you are posting about movies. That be the point of my snark.  These are dreams or something. Never heard of these things.

I've pretty much exhausted the pop choices on Netflix Streaming.  I rummage through the choices and see what has four or more stars.  Then I search the title on Reddit to see if it's been discussed thoroughly and then I watch it. 

Also notice a lot of the obscure movies I talk about are more sci fi than not.  It's hard to find sci fi movies that aren't Transformers, so a sci fi fan like myself really has to be on the lookout for the more obscure ones.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #1686 on: July 21, 2014, 01:09:00 AM »
The Purge: Anarchy

How many ways can you screw up a movie?  However many ways there are, this pile of crap tried to hit every one of them. 

I've seen it hailed as a step in a new direction, better than the original, a deeper examination of the concepts behind the purge rather than a random celebration of its violence. 

Pffffttttt.  Hell with that.  Here's your "deeper meaning": Rich people bad. Poor people good. Thanks Obama.

This was one of the worst movies I've seen in a while.

For one thing it tried to tell way too many stories.  There were about five things going on at the same time and none were fleshed out enough. The narrative had little cohesiveness. If it had taken any one of the multiple storylines and focused solely on that, it might have had potential.  Instead it was a screwed up mess of misguided motivation, bumbled storytelling and flat emotions.  Did not give one half of one shit about any of the characters.  They all should have died.

Speaking of characters, Kylie Sanchez was one of the leads and she exhibited every bit of the blank-eyed, no-talent, pinch-faced piss poor acting she displayed on the cancelled USA series The Glades. Her performance was so bad she was the primary reason the thing was booted off the air. She was hated.

The rest of the characters, including a completely wasted Chalky White, were so fraudulent that they should have been murdered as part of the story. 

it was really bad. I hope this ends the series, but since the theater I saw it in was full I fully expect a Purge 3 coming soon. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #1687 on: July 21, 2014, 09:43:16 AM »
Then I search the title on Reddit to see if it's been discussed thoroughly and then I watch it. 

God, why?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #1688 on: July 21, 2014, 09:45:20 AM »

How many ways can you screw up a movie?  However many ways there are, this pile of crap tried to hit every one of them. 

I've seen it hailed as a step in a new direction, better than the original, a deeper examination of the concepts behind the purge rather than a random celebration of its violence. 

Pffffttttt.  Hell with that.  Here's your "deeper meaning": Rich people bad. Poor people good. Thanks Obama.

For one thing it tried to tell way too many stories.  There were about five things going on at the same time and none were fleshed out enough. The narrative had little cohesiveness. If it had taken any one of the multiple storylines and focused solely on that, it might have had potential.  Instead it was a screwed up mess of misguided motivation, bumbled storytelling and flat emotions.  Did not give one half of one shit about any of the characters.  They all should have died.

Speaking of characters, Kylie Sanchez was one of the leads and she exhibited every bit of the blank-eyed, no-talent, pinch-faced piss poor acting she displayed on the cancelled USA series The Glades. Her performance was so bad she was the primary reason the thing was booted off the air. She was hated.

The rest of the characters, including a completely wasted Chalky White, were so fraudulent that they should have been murdered as part of the story. 

it was really bad. I hope this ends the series, but since the theater I saw it in was full I fully expect a Purge 3 coming soon.

Sounds like it meant well in trying to get into the deeper meaning thing , but maybe tried to hard and became confusing. Ive seen it happen before.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #1689 on: July 21, 2014, 11:28:26 AM »
Kaos, watch or re-watch Primal Fear.  I would like to know what you thought about it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #1690 on: July 22, 2014, 10:34:41 AM »

It's a shame really I thought the premise was good.  The first one was so-so.  I thought the second one just from the trailers looked lame.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #1691 on: July 23, 2014, 02:12:49 AM »
12 Years A Slave

Once again a slave movie focused on beatings, rapings, breaking families and abuse.  Reality was a different thing entirely, but let's not let the truth get in the way of the story. Slavery was bad. No question. Can't own another human being, just not right.  But let's tell the truth here. Slavery in America lasted less than 80 years.  It was abolished nearly 150 years ago.  I think it's time to let go. The average Six Flags boor munching on a waffle dog has about as much relation to slavery as I do to the King of England. The true horror of American history is the treatment of the Indians, but we don't tell that story.

The vast majority of slaves were not raped by their masters, were not tortured for white folk's amusement and were not horribly abused.  95% of slaves were "owned" by people who subsisted at a level barely above what a slave endured. Slaves were expensive -- hundreds and thousands of dollars at a time when a dollar was worth about 1/30th what it is now.  Comparative value?  An average slave cost what today would equal $30,000.  There are some incredibly rich people who would abuse a $30,000 investment. Most wouldn't. 

But I digress. Let's talk about the movie itself.  It won an Oscar. Whoopee. That white guilt voting bloc must be strong. No other reason this should have won. American Hustle, Captain Phillips and Wolf of Wall Street were all far superior films.

Some good performances were sprinkled throughout 12 Years.  So were some pretty crappy ones.  Solomon was good. Eliza and Patsy were shitty. I don't care if she won a sympathy Oscar for her effort, Patsy (or ey) was one of the worst parts of the film. 

Everybody sported really bad accents, but that seems to be a staple of any film that tries in any way to capture Southern life. 

Tons of quality and not-so-quality stars popping up because this was an IMPORTANT movie and they wanted to get their screen time.  Brad Pitt showed up for about ten minutes. Paul Giamatti for less than that.  Bentdick Cumberbutch was there as was a terribly overacting and hammy Michael Fussbender (inexplicably nominated for an Oscar for one of the laughably worst performances I've ever seen). His performance was asinine. So too was Sarah Paulson's bitchy southern matron act. Terrible. Alfre Woodard popped up for no reason other than to say she was in the film. She added nothing to it. If anything she detracted from the story. Was disappointed that Morgan Freeman or Samuel L. Jackson didn't make an appearance, but they can't be in every single movie that comes out I suppose.  Chalky White was there, however, but he didn't last long. His performance was much better than his effort in Purge, so there is that at least.

Some other casting choices were highly questionable.  Paul Dano was a lightweight as an overseer. 

And then there was this guy, doing this very same bit. 

That threw me so badly I discounted the movie from the first second he was on screen.  I kept expecting him to say "NEXT..."  I had a hard time taking it seriously after that.

Aside from the casting, the movie suffered from pacing problems. It bounced around in the timeline for no apparent reason on several occasions.  At one point it was so bad I paused the movie and made sure I hadn't accidentally hit the chapter back button since it was showing something -- something inconsequential -- I'd already seen before.

It was a decent movie.  Completely overdone and overdramatized, but decent enough. Not nearly the groundbreaking must-see superbly drawn film I was led to believe it would be.  But decent.  I'll never watch it again and won't remember any of it two weeks from now.  It was that kind of thing. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:25:05 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #1692 on: August 02, 2014, 08:59:25 AM »
The World's End
There is an endearing quality about Simon Pegg. You can't help but like his muddle brained loser Gary King and hope that he not only finds the meaning of life but manages to finish his pub crawl quest in this uneven comedy. Unfortunately a town full of robots -- well they're not exactly robots and we could debate what they are to the end of time -- stand in the way of completing both journeys.

It's an unusual film. I like British comedy and this is basic Brit. It relied on interplay between the characters for its humor and did so fairly well. It wasn't vulgar or excessive like American comedy has become and you had to pay attention to catch some of the cleverness that brought the funniest moments.

Compared to what passes for humor now in American movies (Tammy, anything from Ben stiller or ferrel or jim Carey) and this comes off as utter brilliance. It had a few cleverly funny moments, a zany premise, a solid cast and the winsome presence of Pegg.

Not for everybody but I enjoyed it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #1693 on: August 02, 2014, 09:19:19 AM »
The World's End
There is an endearing quality about Simon Pegg. You can't help but like his muddle brained loser Gary King and hope that he not only finds the meaning of life but manages to finish his pub crawl quest in this uneven comedy. Unfortunately a town full of robots -- well they're not exactly robots and we could debate what they are to the end of time -- stand in the way of completing both journeys.

It's an unusual film. I like British comedy and this is basic Brit. It relied on interplay between the characters for its humor and did so fairly well. It wasn't vulgar or excessive like American comedy has become and you had to pay attention to catch some of the cleverness that brought the funniest moments.

Compared to what passes for humor now in American movies (Tammy, anything from Ben stiller or ferrel or jim Carey) and this comes off as utter brilliance. It had a few cleverly funny moments, a zany premise, a solid cast and the winsome presence of Pegg.

I'll watch just about anything with Pegg.  The "Cornetto Trilogy" (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World's End) are a great slice of Brit humor.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #1694 on: August 02, 2014, 01:11:05 PM »
3 Days to Kill

Amber Heard is amazingly hot. But playing a supposed CIA operative? Joke-worthy. She's worse than Denise Richard as a nuclear scientist. Amber was cringingly bad. Terrible in fact. So bad that her hotness was almost unnoticed.

Kevin Costner is past his time.  Know his character was supposed to be but he himself just is.

With any two other leads this might have been a very good movie.

Those two just bollocksed it up. 

It was so mixed up I couldn't decide if it was an action farce intended to be campy on purpose or a serious action movie that tried so hard it became farcical.

The on again off again tortured relationship with the teen daughter was painfully badly done as was the silly "she still loves me" dynamic with the wife.  Dancing with his daughter to "I wanna make it with you" was pedo-incesto-creepy.

This movie could have worked and worked well but it failed on almost every level to provide honest emotion or drama. It did succeed to wring out a few situational laughs but if you've seen the trailers you already know them all. 

Killed two hours of my life with this one.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #1695 on: August 03, 2014, 10:40:05 AM »
Guardians of the Galaxy

The leadership at Marvel clearly knows how to craft a superhero movie. Iron Man, Avengers and even Thor, CA all understand the proper mix of humor, action, seriousness and camp. With the exception of Spider-Man, which the studio just can't seem to make anything decent out of, Marvel's superhero treatment is typically on point.

Add Guardians to Marvel's long list of solid hits. In some ways it may be the best of all.

The only real drawback is a hard to follow storyline that introduced numerous people and places that sort of blended together in a miasma of space junk.

Chris Pratt did a good job as the goofy leader of a ragtag group of aliens. Bradley Cooper's raccoon and Vin diesel's tender hearted tree dominated the film and were the real stars.

Plenty of action. Plenty of intelligent humor. Just a very enjoyable movie.

Marvel completely gets what DC with its ponderous, brooding treatments of Superman and Batman as well as it's unwatchable trash like Green Lantern absolutely does not.

As a Batfan it really makes me wish the Crusader was a Marvel property. I'd love to see what they could do with his story.

Guardians is definitely worth seeing.  It's a fun ride that deftly hits all the right emotional buttons.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #1696 on: August 03, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
I'll watch just about anything with Pegg.  The "Cornetto Trilogy" (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World's End) are a great slice of Brit humor.
I like Pegg and Steve Coogan almost as much.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #1697 on: August 03, 2014, 09:17:38 PM »
Guardians of the Galaxy

This film is everything Star Wars Episode I SHOULD HAVE BEEN!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #1698 on: August 04, 2014, 10:41:47 AM »
Troof
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #1699 on: August 04, 2014, 08:42:12 PM »
The World's End

Hated it.  Maybe not hated the movie but hated that it was a huge drop off from SotD and HF.  I thought the conversation with the talking voice alien thing was one of the biggest failures of any movie I've ever seen.  Such build up for the big explanation for what the hell had been going on and it concludes with "Whatever...fuck it."  BAD, bad, bad. 

It still featured some of that Cornetto charm though.  Just seeing those guys on screen makes me happy and I loved the addition of Martin Freeman who I really like despite his inability to be any other character than the one that he always is. 

If I had seen it before the other two, I may have had a better opinion of it though I might not have been inspired to continue watching the others. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions