Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

You're The Coach. What QB Do You Play?

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
You're The Coach. What QB Do You Play?
« on: February 19, 2009, 03:57:55 PM »
To say our QB play was less than stellar last season is...well...

Product of the system?  Injured arm?  No receivers?  Who knows?  But in my mind, I'm certainly not convinced we have anyone in Kodi or Todd that should be sitting solidly atop the depth chart.  Like everyone, I've read good things about Trotter but have only seen him play sparingly in a pre-season scrimmage.  In other words, I have no clue.  We have 2 guys coming in as true freshmen, one of which is one of the top rated QB's in the nation out of H.S.  The other played 2A ball but lit it up and appears to have the arm, size and speed to play in this league.

Do you look at Kodi or Todd and see some real potential in either to step up and take Auburn back to the top of the West?  Are you ready to move in another direction?  If one of the true freshmen comes in and opens everyone's eyes, do you go ahead and throw him in the mix and start building for the future?  Granted, it's a year where the expectations for this team are not going to be that high.

Kodi may be a much better QB than we think if given some real coaching and a solid system to run.  Then again, he may be in over his head.  It certainly wouldn't take much for someone to look at least as good as he did last year.  And was Todd's problem all physical or was he color blind and couldn't tell who was wearing the blue jerseys?

Discuss amongst yourselves.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: You're The Coach. What QB Do You Play?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 04:03:44 PM »
My opinion you open it up,

I do think Kodi has the ability to be a great player, between coaching, experience, another year in the weight room they all play a tremendous part as does scheme.  Look at Jason ....Borges's system fit him perfectly, he came in and looked like a totally different QB.

but you still open it up during the Spring and see who rises to the top.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 04:09:49 PM »
I am really excited about Tyrik. Now, I have never seen him play a full game, but from the tapes I have seen, this kid can play. He can run like Kodi, but has an amzing arm. He played in a spread system and from the tape I have seen, he is elusive and can throw on the run as well as be a good drop back passer. He is got a really quick release and strong arm! I am anxious to see if he can be a player in this league...because he damn sure lit up the score board in Texas High School ball. He has a 70 percent completion percentage so he is accurate as well...

In conclusion, this kid can ball yo...but I have no idea who I would play next year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 04:12:48 PM »
I am really excited about Tyrik. Now, I have never seen him play a full game, but from the tapes I have seen, this kid can play. He can run like Kodi, but has an amzing arm. He played in a spread system and from the tape I have seen, he is elusive and can throw on the run as well as be a good drop back passer. He is got a really quick release and strong arm! I am anxious to see if he can be a player in this league...because he damn sure lit up the score board in Texas High School ball. He has a 70 percent completion percentage so he is accurate as well...

In conclusion, this kid can ball yo...but I have no idea who I would play next year.
Have you seen tapes of this kid play?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 04:23:56 PM »

I do think Kodi has the ability to be a great player, between coaching, experience, another year in the weight room they all play a tremendous part as does scheme.  Look at Jason ....Borges's system fit him perfectly, he came in and looked like a totally different QB.

but you still open it up during the Spring and see who rises to the top.

Unfair to Jason. He had the highest completion percentage of any QB in the SEC as a junior. Stinkfinger had no patience and kept trying to forcefeed Cobb to us.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 04:32:05 PM »

I do think Kodi has the ability to be a great player, between coaching, experience, another year in the weight room they all play a tremendous part as does scheme. 

Agree with this.  I do think that the wild card is Barret Trotter.  He had a lot of support from current team members according to reports last summer.  They were quoted as saying "he has all the throws now".   Along with Tyrik, Moseley and Caudle it should be a good battle.  Kodi has an advantage, but ONLY because he has game experience.... good or bad....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 04:35:19 PM »
Unfair to Jason. He had the highest completion percentage of any QB in the SEC as a junior. Stinkfinger had no patience and kept trying to forcefeed Cobb to us.

I didn't know Reggie Cobb played QB.  

My biggest issue is the expectations for this program next year.  If we really don't have the playmakers to contend for the West (And my fear is that we don't) why waste another year trying to make Kodi a legit QB in this league?  If Trotter or one of the freshmen come in and kicks ass, I'm all for giving them some serious reps.  I'm not giving up on Kodi by any means, but he sure didn't do much to make me feel good about this year either.  He did some great things against Ole Miss on the road, then fell apart at the end.  He had a few killer series against UGA, but in the end couldn't get it done.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

boartitz

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 04:47:11 PM »
Kodi will get an honest chance from Malzhan. Gus recruited him a few years back and wanted him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 04:55:15 PM »
Kodi will get an honest chance from Malzhan. Gus recruited him a few years back and wanted him.

This is a good point.  I have no doubts that Kodi will get a fair shot and hell yes, he should.  He's earned it.  I guess the big question for me is if Trotter or one of the freshmen comes in and looks at least as good as Kodi (Who will be a Junior, by the way) do you go ahead and give the reps to a kid with 4 years to play?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 05:24:11 PM »
It's Kodi's team to lose. 

I know Kodi looked awfully bad last year, but what offensive player looked good ALL season long?  Fannin realistically had one good game.  The o-line sucked.  Ben Tate sucked.  The receivers sucked.  Chris Todd sucked. 

It all sucked, yet the only position we're seriously discussing a change is with QB? 

From what I saw last year, Kodi Burns had very little to work with.  He had a terrible running game that didn't once complement the passing game.  The receivers ran poor routes and had some terrible drops.  One bright spot from Kodi was the Ole Miss game.  Don't forget he put up over 300 yards passing. 

Kodi Burns still has the best attributes of any of the QBs (save Rollison if he gets in).  He has a very strong arm and the legs to burn.  If he gets proper coaching, I think he can be successful.  How successful he can be is unbeknownst to me.  But I think we'll see #18 getting the start next season. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 06:19:23 PM »
I fully believe that Kodi Burns is the best bet at QB for next season.  He has the talent, and with a little coaching could be great.  So soon do many people forget how well he played in the bowl game against Clemson.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

boartitz

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 06:39:47 PM »
This is a good point.  I have no doubts that Kodi will get a fair shot and hell yes, he should.  He's earned it.  I guess the big question for me is if Trotter or one of the freshmen comes in and looks at least as good as Kodi (Who will be a Junior, by the way) do you go ahead and give the reps to a kid with 4 years to play?
Gus had a freshman groomed to play for us. He was 8-0 as a starter and Nutt benched him. He drug up and went to USC-west, where he may very well be their starting QB this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »
I disagree Town. I think: new coaches, new compitition for everyone. I personally don't think Kodi can play QB in the SEC. He is a special athlete and needs to be on the field, but I personally don't think it is at QB. He missed some wide open recievers last year and at times looked completely incapable of playing QB. Maybe he proves me wrong with some coaching, but I didn't even see the raw talent that an SEC QB needs.

And I definitely don't think he should just be given the job. If the team had rallied around him last year it would be one thing, but no one stepped up, that I saw, that proved to be a leader on the field. That's why every position should be a competition and may the best player play!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 07:15:32 PM »
So soon do many people forget how well he played in the bowl game against Clemson.

I don't doubt his ability and I hope like hell he's our guy if for no other reason then I like the kid and I think with the right coaching he has "it" but I just don't understand when people say this.  He completed one pass that game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 10:56:14 PM »
I don't doubt his ability and I hope like hell he's our guy if for no other reason then I like the kid and I think with the right coaching he has "it" but I just don't understand when people say this.  He completed one pass that game.

Taylor was drunk that night.

Real drunk
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 11:12:58 AM »
Taylor was drunk that night.

Real drunk

No shit.  He thought I was half-Asian.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 11:25:46 AM »
No shit.  He thought I was half-Asian.

You're not?

What do you have against half-Asian quarterbacks?  Tommy Chang was a true bad ass.  You gotcher Tommy, a perfect American name...and yer Chang, making him what you call yer half-Asian.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:30:29 AM by Harvey Birdman »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 11:27:34 AM »
You're not?

Just the small half.

Wait that would make him 100%
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 11:36:32 AM »
You're not?

What do you have against half-Asian quarterbacks?  Tommy Chang was a true bad ass.  You gotcher Tommy, a perfect American name...and yer Chang, making him what you call yer half-Asian.
Timmy Chang.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 11:38:42 AM »
Timmy Chang.

I was talking about a guy named Tommy Chang that played QB in the YMCA league down here back in 97'.  Great QB.  But that Timmy guy was pretty good too.

Uummm....what?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions