Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

'The old' Tony Franklin is back

Ogre

'The old' Tony Franklin is back
« on: October 07, 2008, 04:32:39 PM »
`The old' Tony Franklin in charge at Auburn practice
Posted by Charles Goldberg, Birmingham News October 07, 2008 12:30 PM

Auburn wide receiver Rod Smith saw a rejuvenated, fired-up coach at practice Tuesday.

Offensive coordinator Tony Franklin was definitely in charge.

``He had a meeting with us before we went out to practice, he told us, `The old guy is back.' Whoever he was at Troy, he said he's back,'' Smith said. ``I guess we can expect different from him. The intensity he had at practice today was just crazy.''

Smith said Franklin, who usually watches team drills from the sidelines, ran pass routes to show receivers how it should be done. Franklin is coming back with a vengeance to inject life in his struggling spread offense.

``It's a lot that has changed,'' Smith said. ``Coach Franklin, just the tempo, just the way we practiced, was very hard today. The coaches were upbeat about everything. Every little thing you did wrong they were on you with quickness, especially Coach Franklin.''

``As far as what I heard, nobody's job is secure right now,'' Smith added.

``There was definitely a lot more yelling. The coaches are being a lot more demanding. They're expecting a lot more out of us.

``We felt like we were in two-a-days all over again. It's a good a thing. I definitely think we need that as a team to light a fire up under us. Something needs to be done to get this offense - just getting this whole team - back in the right direction. I think the coaches are doing a great job doing it.''

Several players said Auburn has cut back the playbook again in an effort to run plays more effectively.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: 'The old' Tony Franklin is back
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 04:36:49 PM »
Several players said Auburn has cut back the playbook again in an effort to run plays more effectively.

I think that makes it 120% of the playbook we've cut. By the end of the year we will have one play that we run very....very well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 05:46:16 PM »
I'm calling bullshit. 

So far this year we've heard this same jibber-jabber every week.  Offensive line was really focused in practice.  Going to see a new offense. New urgency. Blah, blah, blah, blah, fruckety blah.  Just bullshit babble.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 06:56:24 PM »
Nope....no bullshit babble, KAOS....CTF was in the WR's faces telling and showing them how to Correctly run their routes, not CGK/CSE.  He was yelling at the RB's to sprint 20 extra yards after contact.  He was actually yelling at the Oline to finish their blocks, down field.  This is, pretty much, exactly what Auburn did last year, in the 9 practices, leading up to the Bowl game.

I'd rather have 8-10 plays that Auburn runs to fuckin' perfection, and yes, perfect practice leads to perfection....that's what CTF is now trying to do.  If you've seen the interview of Rod Smith after today's practice, you'll realize that it wasn't bullshit.  Not only did he look worn slap out, but he was actually giddy, in a way.  And, IMO, this was what CTT meant when he said that there would be some changes, starting on Sunday (this past Sunday).  From what I've heard, he had a Pow-Wow with the entire coaching staff.....then the offensive staff, on Sunday.

"I definitely think we need that as a team to light a fire...under us."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 07:32:52 PM »
Nope....no bullshit babble, KAOS....CTF was in the WR's faces telling and showing them how to Correctly run their routes, not CGK/CSE.  He was yelling at the RB's to sprint 20 extra yards after contact.  He was actually yelling at the Oline to finish their blocks, down field.  This is, pretty much, exactly what Auburn did last year, in the 9 practices, leading up to the Bowl game.

I'd rather have 8-10 plays that Auburn runs to fuckin' perfection, and yes, perfect practice leads to perfection....that's what CTF is now trying to do.  If you've seen the interview of Rod Smith after today's practice, you'll realize that it wasn't bullshit.  Not only did he look worn slap out, but he was actually giddy, in a way.  And, IMO, this was what CTT meant when he said that there would be some changes, starting on Sunday (this past Sunday).  From what I've heard, he had a Pow-Wow with the entire coaching staff.....then the offensive staff, on Sunday.

Where the fuck was all of this three months ago?  Why is Tony Franklin showing up in October? 

This is just as bad as the "I'm a dumbass" comment he made. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 07:52:22 PM »
Where the fuck was all of this three months ago?  Why is Tony Franklin showing up in October? 

This is just as bad as the "I'm a dumbass" comment he made. 
Considering this is true...

I mean don't get me wrong. Better late than never and all that...but it sure would have been nice to do this BEFORE LOSING TO GODDAMN VANDERBILT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY OR EVEN MY FUCKING FATHER'S ENTIRE LIFE.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 07:53:07 PM »
I'm guessing because he finally realized that the other offensive coaches weren't doing a God Damn thing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 07:57:30 PM »
I'm guessing because he finally realized that the other offensive coaches weren't doing a God Damn thing.

I think you've hit the nail in the coffin. 

Franklin or any other solid coordinator needs to recognize problems like that at the very start.  If a coach can't get the job done after a couple of weeks, you take over yourself.  At the end of that season, that coach should be dismissed to look for a team that suits his philosophy. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 07:58:08 PM »
Yeah, everybody's job is in jeopardy except CHRIS MOTHERFUCKING SLOW ASSED LIMP ARMED FRANKLIN-COCK-SUCKING DO NOTHING GODDAMN TODD.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 08:02:42 PM »
Okay, let's take the blame game out of it for a second and I'll tell you why this is actually very disturbing.  As THS just asked, where was all this 3 months ago?  Here's the impression I get from this, and it has to do with the perception that keeping the same good ole boys in place might be the problem.  

It seems that if he's just now down on the field, showing receivers how to run routes, showing linemen how to finish blocks etc.....that CTF was hired to implement his system, but the position coaches have continued to teach their own technique.  Problem?  Well, check this out.

On the "Other" board today, the deacon made a post quoting Franklin during a seminar while he was at Troy.  Franklin was asked about "Zone blocking" by the O-line and his reply was, "You'll have to ask Hugh Nall at Auburn.  We don't do that here."  I seem to recall that quote but one thing I do know is...Nall has the O-line zone blocking.  Anyone watch warm ups?  They go through a zone blocking drill over and over and over.

The fact that he's down on the field in the ears of WRs and linemen...teaching technique..tells me we may be hitting on something here.  If that's the case, let's get back to the blame game:

Why didn't Franklin make sure they were doing it his way from the start?

Why would Knox and Nall be coaching different technique than what the new offense calls for?

Why wouldn't Tommy Tuberville make sure everyone is doing it the way Franklin, the guy he hired, wants it done?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 08:26:58 PM »
Why didn't Franklin make sure they were doing it his way from the start?

Why would Knox and Nall be coaching different technique than what the new offense calls for?

Why wouldn't Tommy Tuberville make sure everyone is doing it the way Franklin, the guy he hired, wants it done?

I have no clue, I would like to know that myself.  Now the second question that you asked is interesting.  I asked on here the other day if part of the problems were that the coaches hated each other.  ssgaufan  said that the position coaches, since they have been coaching together so long that they liked each other, but may not like Franklin.  I still wonder if the mentality of the coaches was "Piss on Franklin, I don't like, I don't care what he says,  and I will do things the way I want to"....etc....etc....etc. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 09:29:32 PM »
I have no clue, I would like to know that myself.  Now the second question that you asked is interesting.  I asked on here the other day if part of the problems were that the coaches hated each other.  ssgaufan  said that the position coaches, since they have been coaching together so long that they liked each other, but may not like Franklin.  I still wonder if the mentality of the coaches was "Piss on Franklin, I don't like, I don't care what he says,  and I will do things the way I want to"....etc....etc....etc. 
IF, that is the case, then Knox, Nall, etc... should be fired... I don't give a fuck if they are so close with Tuberville that they hold his dick while he takes a piss.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 09:40:41 PM »
Yeah, everybody's job is in jeopardy except CHRIS MOTHERFUCKING SLOW ASSED LIMP ARMED FRANKLIN-COCK-SUCKING DO NOTHING GODDAMN TODD.
Yeah, because everybody knows that we would have beat Vanderbilt and LSU if he would not have taken a single snap. We all know that all our offensive problems is Chris Todd's fault and nobody else's, because he does coach all the other positions and call all the plays besides being the QB, right? Next time Chris goes over the tape with our secondary, I'll make sure to mention that he needs to do a better job in that area, since that must be his fault also.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 09:49:21 PM »
Next time Chris goes over the tape with our secondary, I'll make sure to mention that he needs to do a better job in that area, since that must be his fault also.

You're involved with our secondary? Tell the safety that when the WR crosses to the middle of the field on a slant route, drift towards him a little more quickly. Less likely to be burned that way.

Tell Chris I said hi.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 10:31:32 PM »
Yeah, because everybody knows that we would have beat Vanderbilt and LSU if he would not have taken a single snap. We all know that all our offensive problems is Chris Todd's fault and nobody else's, because he does coach all the other positions and call all the plays besides being the QB, right? Next time Chris goes over the tape with our secondary, I'll make sure to mention that he needs to do a better job in that area, since that must be his fault also.

Well, honestly, yeah it kinda is. If Todd is indeed in it for the team, maybe he could get over his ego and say, " Hey Coach, I'm not sure that I need to play -- what with my hurt arm and all. Maybe you could try another approach where I won't have to use my 80 year old grandma arm and maybe try something else with the offense, or maybe, hey coach, I suck donkeyballs at running the bootleg, well, I really pretty much suck at running in general, why don't you try that fine colored kid or maybe even the third stringer and quit being a fucking elitist asshole who is trying to pimp me over a more naturally talented quarterback.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 11:29:13 PM »

Bash the coaches all you want. They get paid to take the heat. Lay off the players. You could have made your point without mentioning all the dick sucking and such.

I'll tell you something, it's not b/c the players read this stuff and take it to heart. They don't. They actually laugh at the interweb nerds who think they know anything about the team.

It's just poor form, my frien.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 11:31:52 PM »
You guys sound so much like hog fans two years ago I just crack up.  Are you sure your OC's name isn't Malzahn?  Brought in to run a spread, but stuck with his boss's assistants who still want to do things the old way?  Does the DC call Franklin "High School" at practice?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 11:45:53 PM »
You sure it wasn't my boy Tracy Rocker calling Malzahn "High School"?  I'd heard something about that a couple of years ago, and I'm pretty sure they'd said it was Coach Rocker that was calling him that, I could be wrong though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 11:48:07 PM »
Well, honestly, yeah it kinda is. If Todd is indeed in it for the team, maybe he could get over his ego and say, " Hey Coach, I'm not sure that I need to play -- what with my hurt arm and all. Maybe you could try another approach where I won't have to use my 80 year old grandma arm and maybe try something else with the offense, or maybe, hey coach, I suck donkeyballs at running the bootleg, well, I really pretty much suck at running in general, why don't you try that fine colored kid or maybe even the third stringer and quit being a fucking elitist asshole who is trying to pimp me over a more naturally talented quarterback.

Ahh. Another asshat that knows nothing about the game of football except to open a beer on game day. Thanks for your shitty analysis.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 12:00:30 AM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 12:16:07 AM »

Yes, it's 100% bullshit babble. 

If this is true, then we have the dumbest offensive coordinator in the history of organized football. You get on their ass and  push them like crazy in the off-season. You work them until they can't work any longer in the spring. You drive them until they puke, you condition and perfect and teach and motivate during two-a-days. 

GOOD coaches use game preparation to polish some of the skills, work on drills and put in game-specific sets and formations. GOOD coaches use game week to prepare for opponents NOT to run the team ragged in basic fundamental drills.

What we have here is one GASBAG offensive coordinator who hasn't the first clue how to manage a team or a game.  Every single week he's going to do something different.  That is the hallmark of an ineffective manager. And I know. I've hired  (and fired) plenty of them over the years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.