Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

'The old' Tony Franklin is back

Come Honor Face

• Are you serious??
Re: 'The old' Tony Franklin is back
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 12:47:48 AM »
Yes, it's 100% bullshit babble. 

If this is true, then we have the dumbest offensive coordinator in the history of organized football. You get on their ass and  push them like crazy in the off-season. You work them until they can't work any longer in the spring. You drive them until they puke, you condition and perfect and teach and motivate during two-a-days. 

GOOD coaches use game preparation to polish some of the skills, work on drills and put in game-specific sets and formations. GOOD coaches use game week to prepare for opponents NOT to run the team ragged in basic fundamental drills.

What we have here is one GASBAG offensive coordinator who hasn't the first clue how to manage a team or a game.  Every single week he's going to do something different.  That is the hallmark of an ineffective manager. And I know. I've hired  (and fired) plenty of them over the years.

are you hiring?  seriously? I need a better job.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"you'll be a winner today, pick a fight with a 4 year old"

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 12:53:08 AM »
are you hiring?  seriously? I need a better job.

We all do.  Jenny's rich.  I think we should just go ahead and create a welfare state here and beat the rush.  She should take whatever she makes, combine it with what you and I make and then split it all equally.  That's only fair.

Seriously, right now I don't have anything but that's always subject to change.  I'm thinking about hiring a replacement for me so i can go do something else and still have a fallback. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 09:17:42 AM »
Well, honestly, yeah it kinda is. If Todd is indeed in it for the team, maybe he could get over his ego and say, " Hey Coach, I'm not sure that I need to play -- what with my hurt arm and all. Maybe you could try another approach where I won't have to use my 80 year old grandma arm and maybe try something else with the offense, or maybe, hey coach, I suck donkeyballs at running the bootleg, well, I really pretty much suck at running in general, why don't you try that fine colored kid or maybe even the third stringer and quit being a fucking elitist asshole who is trying to pimp me over a more naturally talented quarterback.

That is just fucking stupid...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 09:57:53 AM »
Yeah, everybody's job is in jeopardy except CHRIS MOTHERFUCKING SLOW ASSED LIMP ARMED FRANKLIN-COCK-SUCKING DO NOTHING GODDAMN TODD.

Yeah because Burns just lit up Vandy.  I had my doubts earlier but I think at least one issue was resolved last Saturday, the offense's shortcomings are not totally Chris Todd's fault (though he isn't helping).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 11:25:42 AM »
Yeah because Burns just lit up Vandy.  I had my doubts earlier but I think at least one issue was resolved last Saturday, the offense's shortcomings are not totally Chris Todd's fault (though he isn't helping).

ANNNNNNNND.... No.  You don't get it either. 

Burns was the annointed one.  It was his job to lose.  First game of the season he started. Was the only QB who did anything worth noting at all.  Skinned his shin and was effectively benched so Franklin could play "his" boy -- when it was obvious to most observers and plainly apparent to the players that Burns should be starting. 

Todd stinks it up.   Burns sits.  Todd stinks his ass off against Mississippi State. Burns sits.  Todd reeks like dead fish against LSU.  Burns sits.  Todd sucks like a Kirby against Tennessee. Burns largely sits -- and then when he IS put in the game, is forced to run play calls that completely negate his strengths.

I don't blame the kid for being confused. For pressing. For trying to do too much to win back favor from the asshole in the booth who's never going to see anything but the golden halo of Chris Todd. 

Had Burns started the season, been given the reins, allowed to get into a game rhythm from the get-go, you'd see an entirely different offense on the field right now.  You'd see one that had the capacity to challenge defenses (assuming you could get someone to call plays that appeared to have a clue). 

You're right, though.  Chris Todd isn't entirely the problem.  Chris Todd and his daddy Tony are the alpha and omega of the issues, though.   Begins with Todd, ends with Franklin.  Period.  Get rid of both of them and you'd see a miracle resurrection. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 11:37:32 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Ogre

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 12:10:47 PM »
I completely, 100% disagree. 

Should Todd have been brought on board?  No, not in my opinion.  While Franklin bringing Todd on board has caused a problem, I reiterate my belief that Tubs' core group of assistant coaches on offense never bought in to the system.  After all, Kodi hasn't been tearing it up when he's been in the game, either.  Spare me the 'he's had horrible plays called for him' bit.  He has had chances to produce and he's fallen flat on his face, too - see the Tennessee game.

I believe my stance is well documented.  Whether you want to admit it or not, Tubs' clique of coaches is average at best.  Their entire coaching lives they have been a smash mouth, 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense.  Tuberville decides to go in a completely different direction in an effort to put more points on the board, and decides the Spread is the way to do it. 

Unfortunately, his offensive coaches never really buy in to the idea.  Why else has Franklin been out at practice this week screaming at our line to finish their blocks?  Why else has Franklin been on the field teaching the WR's how to run the correct routes?  This should be the job of the position coaches.  Did anyone happen to catch any of the Troy game last night?  They are running the Tony Franklin Spread.  Did it look remotely like anything you've seen us do this year?  Hell no! 

When Tuberville came out and said that this wasn't the "Tony Franklin Offense," but it was the "Auburn Offense," it sent a chill up my spine.  Not the good kind, either.  Why the fuck would you hire the so-called spread guru, and not let him implement and run his scheme?  In what bizarro galaxy does that make sense? 

Has Todd stunk it up?  Absolutely. 

Should Burns have had an opportunity to start after the LaMo game?  You bet.

Is Franklin to blame for not seeing the problems sooner and doing something about it?  Yes and no.  The offensive assistants know that they don't answer to Franklin - they answer solely to Tuberville.  They know that if this experiment fails, they'll still have a job next year and we'll have another new OC at the helm.  They are complacent.  If anyone is to blame, it's Tuberville for not stating clearly to his crew that this is what we're going to run, and you aren't going to half-ass it. 

Franklin was doomed to fail from the moment he stepped on campus. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 12:49:20 PM »
I completely, 100% disagree. 

Should Todd have been brought on board?  No, not in my opinion.  While Franklin bringing Todd on board has caused a problem, I reiterate my belief that Tubs' core group of assistant coaches on offense never bought in to the system.  After all, Kodi hasn't been tearing it up when he's been in the game, either.  Spare me the 'he's had horrible plays called for him' bit.  He has had chances to produce and he's fallen flat on his face, too - see the Tennessee game.

I believe my stance is well documented.  Whether you want to admit it or not, Tubs' clique of coaches is average at best.  Their entire coaching lives they have been a smash mouth, 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense.  Tuberville decides to go in a completely different direction in an effort to put more points on the board, and decides the Spread is the way to do it. 

Unfortunately, his offensive coaches never really buy in to the idea.  Why else has Franklin been out at practice this week screaming at our line to finish their blocks?  Why else has Franklin been on the field teaching the WR's how to run the correct routes?  This should be the job of the position coaches.  Did anyone happen to catch any of the Troy game last night?  They are running the Tony Franklin Spread.  Did it look remotely like anything you've seen us do this year?  Hell no! 

When Tuberville came out and said that this wasn't the "Tony Franklin Offense," but it was the "Auburn Offense," it sent a chill up my spine.  Not the good kind, either.  Why the fuck would you hire the so-called spread guru, and not let him implement and run his scheme?  In what bizarro galaxy does that make sense? 

Has Todd stunk it up?  Absolutely. 

Should Burns have had an opportunity to start after the LaMo game?  You bet.

Is Franklin to blame for not seeing the problems sooner and doing something about it?  Yes and no.  The offensive assistants know that they don't answer to Franklin - they answer solely to Tuberville.  They know that if this experiment fails, they'll still have a job next year and we'll have another new OC at the helm.  They are complacent.  If anyone is to blame, it's Tuberville for not stating clearly to his crew that this is what we're going to run, and you aren't going to half-ass it. 

Franklin was doomed to fail from the moment he stepped on campus. 

Post of the Year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 01:05:49 PM »
ANNNNNNNND.... No.  You don't get it either. 

Burns was the annointed one.  It was his job to lose.  First game of the season he started. Was the only QB who did anything worth noting at all.  Skinned his shin and was effectively benched so Franklin could play "his" boy -- when it was obvious to most observers and plainly apparent to the players that Burns should be starting. 

Todd stinks it up.   Burns sits.  Todd stinks his ass off against Mississippi State. Burns sits.  Todd reeks like dead fish against LSU.  Burns sits.  Todd sucks like a Kirby against Tennessee. Burns largely sits -- and then when he IS put in the game, is forced to run play calls that completely negate his strengths.

I don't blame the kid for being confused. For pressing. For trying to do too much to win back favor from the asshole in the booth who's never going to see anything but the golden halo of Chris Todd. 

Had Burns started the season, been given the reins, allowed to get into a game rhythm from the get-go, you'd see an entirely different offense on the field right now.  You'd see one that had the capacity to challenge defenses (assuming you could get someone to call plays that appeared to have a clue). 

You're right, though.  Chris Todd isn't entirely the problem.  Chris Todd and his daddy Tony are the alpha and omega of the issues, though.   Begins with Todd, ends with Franklin.  Period.  Get rid of both of them and you'd see a miracle resurrection. 

Good points all, but I doubt we would see a miracle resurrection.  Get rid of Franklin and Todd and we are left with the same group (with the exception of Burns at QB) who finished 84th in scoring last season.  I will concede that 84 th last season was 24 ppg which is about 23.5 better than we are doing this year, but still not what it takes to get it done for what could be a top 10 team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 01:08:14 PM »
Post of the Year.
Your knees are still sore I see.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2008, 01:09:10 PM »
Well, I must say that I have to admit now that franklin fits this staff like a glove. It takes two losses and threat of imminent job loss to get him off his fucking ass to coach.

He's a CTT keeper for sure. Thank god he didn't wait any longer to bring back "the old franklin".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2008, 03:05:57 PM »
Did anyone happen to catch any of the Troy game last night?  They are running the Tony Franklin Spread.  Did it look remotely like anything you've seen us do this year?  Hell no! 

I call BS to that, Troy looked exactly like us.  My brother and I both watched the game and called each other to laugh at the fact that the offense was exactly the same.  On 2 different possesions they were stopped on the 5 yard line (one they ended up getting a TD because of a face mask penalty, and 2 they had to settle for a FG) I was not at all impressed with Troy's offense and it was run against 1-5 FAU.

TROY
1st Downs     20
Total Yards   360 
Passing         127 
Rushing         233 
Penalties       4-25
3rd Down Conversions 3-15 
4th Down Conversions 3-3 
Turnovers      1
Possession     32:13

Listen I have already stated why I believe that Burns hasn't succeeded and I don't believe that Todd is the entire reason we are failing...it takes a team to do that. However, Burns is the future so might as well let him play.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2008, 03:23:44 PM »
However, Burns is the future so might as well let him play.

"The children are the future."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2008, 03:30:34 PM »
"The children are the future."

Damn that boy good, lets hear it for Sexual Chocolate.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Ogre

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2008, 03:43:15 PM »
I call BS to that, Troy looked exactly like us.  My brother and I both watched the game and called each other to laugh at the fact that the offense was exactly the same.  On 2 different possesions they were stopped on the 5 yard line (one they ended up getting a TD because of a face mask penalty, and 2 they had to settle for a FG) I was not at all impressed with Troy's offense and it was run against 1-5 FAU.

TROY
1st Downs     20
Total Yards   360 
Passing         127 
Rushing         233 
Penalties       4-25
3rd Down Conversions 3-15 
4th Down Conversions 3-3 
Turnovers      1
Possession     32:13

Listen I have already stated why I believe that Burns hasn't succeeded and I don't believe that Todd is the entire reason we are failing...it takes a team to do that. However, Burns is the future so might as well let him play.

I'm not saying it didn't look similar.  I'm saying that Troy has the #25 offense in the nation, while Auburn is hovering around #104.  Troy promoted one of Franklin's old assistant coaches to OC, and they're still tearing it up this year.  Tony Franklin didn't just forget how to coach offense when he stepped foot on Auburn's campus. 

There is a huge disconnect somewhere, and you can't lay all the blame on Tony's feet.  Firing Tony Franklin while keeping the same offensive assistants would be the worst move Auburn could make this offseason.  What self-respecting OC would want to come to Auburn and coach in this environment? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2008, 03:57:04 PM »
I'm not saying it didn't look similar.  I'm saying that Troy has the #25 offense in the nation, while Auburn is hovering around #104.  Troy promoted one of Franklin's old assistant coaches to OC, and they're still tearing it up this year.  Tony Franklin didn't just forget how to coach offense when he stepped foot on Auburn's campus. 

There is a huge disconnect somewhere, and you can't lay all the blame on Tony's feet.  Firing Tony Franklin while keeping the same offensive assistants would be the worst move Auburn could make this offseason.  What self-respecting OC would want to come to Auburn and coach in this environment? 
Tony Franklin was fired today.  All of this is now a moot point.

http://www.oanow.com/oan/news/local/article/franklin_fired_as_auburn_offensive_coordinator/40169/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2008, 04:51:34 PM »
i know a DL on their "scout team" (he used to play at Foley, also a big AU fan) and he said the offense is pretty much exactly the same. they didn't bring in an outside coordinator, just promoted from within. he said he has no idea what the fuck AU is running, but its not anything like they are. a few similarities here and there, but he said it was like reading Greek.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2008, 04:52:41 PM »
Tony Franklin was fired today.  All of this is now a moot point.

http://www.oanow.com/oan/news/local/article/franklin_fired_as_auburn_offensive_coordinator/40169/
So should we change this thread to "The Old" Tony Franklin is fired?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2008, 04:56:38 PM »
So should we change this thread to "The Old" Tony Franklin is fired?

How about we change it to Tony Franklin, Unemployed again
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2008, 09:38:07 PM »
Been there , done that. I hate it for yall.
I kinda liked our odds before this shakeup. Tubby don't want to lose this one. He really don't.
If Franklin gave him any doubts about losing to the homeboys , yeah , his ass is history.
We don't have a rivalry per se , but , Tubby takes this game personal.
The ones of yall that got locked in on the 19 point spread should be able to slake a few hillbillies with the dry neck.

duck
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2008, 10:06:33 AM »

Firing Tony Franklin while keeping the same offensive assistants would be the worst move Auburn could make this offseason.  What self-respecting OC would want to come to Auburn and coach in this environment? 

What if they do it during the season, Brad?

I feel another point-counterpoint coming on. This one will be pretty easily quantifiable in about a month and a half. For the love of God, I'm pulling for Kevin this time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions