Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2017 Coaching Lottery

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
2017 Coaching Lottery
« on: November 15, 2017, 10:55:16 AM »
Ark seems sure they're getting Gus.  Weird.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Re: 2017 Coaching Lottery
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 10:57:59 AM »
It honestly wouldn't surprise me.

And I have mixed feelings. I have no love for Gus, but I'll be damned if he doesn't surprise me every now and then. There are a lot of shitty coaches out there. And I damn sure don't want to be looking for a coach with UT and UF and the whole host of other teams out there right now.

If he goes, I would want the dude from Iowa State. I think I may take him over Gus right now. Other than that, I just don't know.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 10:59:20 AM »
A blind man could see this coming really. Ark fans are done with Fat Bastard and want their native son to come back home. To be honest, it wouldn't really surprise me if Gus were to take that job if offered.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 11:12:16 AM »
Ark seems sure they're getting Gus.  Weird.

Brandon Marcello told Finebaum Friday night that there have definitely been contacts between Arky and Gus' peeps.  However, haven't we watched this episode several times already?  Didn't CTT pull this on us about 3 years in a row?

It could very well be that Jimmy Sexton is laughing his ass off going, "Watch this.  Hold my beer".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 11:16:08 AM »
Brandon Marcello told Finebaum Friday night that there have definitely been contacts between Arky and Gus' peeps.  However, haven't we watched this episode several times already?  Didn't CTT pull this on us about 3 years in a row?

It could very well be that Jimmy Sexton is laughing his ass off going, "Watch this.  Hold my beer".

I think it's unlikely that he goes there.  Your Sexton-scenario is pretty likely, actually.

I think Gus is too polarizing to be a viable candidate in Arkansas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 11:24:07 AM »
I think it's unlikely that he goes there.  Your Sexton-scenario is pretty likely, actually.

I'm always skeptical whenever stuff like this gets leaked.  It makes me think it's more likely than not, made up or leaked for a purpose.  Logically speaking, if someone from the Ark BOT did call Sexton to inquire, how on earth would that wind up on Marcello's plate?

Having said that, I think it's perfectly plausible that the Piggies could have actual interest in Gus.  They may not be looking at the big picture and only focused on the beat down they've received from AU the last few years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 11:25:18 AM »
If he goes, he goes.

The only upside from that is that Auburn would have more money to throw at someone else, not having to pay the ridiculous JJ buyout package.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 11:25:43 AM »

I disagree.

If I were him, after the abuse he's taken from our fans this year, I'd go where I was wanted and where I called home. I'd get out while it was of my own volition so it didn't look like I was yesterday's garbage and instead that it was a natural upward trajectory to my end goal of being coach of the flagship school of the state I grew up in.

And it serves us right, to be honest.

That's not to say after losing to LSU and to that point having only pulled off one miracle win per each of our main rivals over the course of four years with #1 & #2 UGA & Bama looming wasn't reason to have him on a short leash, but just sayin'.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 11:27:19 AM »
If he goes, he goes.

The only upside from that is that Auburn would have more money to throw at someone else, not having to pay the ridiculous JJ buyout package.
How is the buyout structured? I recall it being very one-sided (thanks Jay). If so, even more reason for him to voluntarily jump ship to "come home".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 11:30:48 AM »
Having said that, I think it's perfectly plausible that the Piggies could have actual interest in Gus.  They may not be looking at the big picture and only focused on the beat down they've received from AU the last few years.
I don't think it's that short-sited of them. It's a clear upgrade to BERT.

I think we're pretty spoiled when you look around the SEC at who you'd prefer to Gus. It's fewer than you think when you actually are forced to give a specific answer. And now half the SEC is about to gobble up whatever decent coaches may be out there.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:36:01 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 11:33:19 AM »
I disagree.

If I were him, after the abuse he's taken from our fans this year, I'd go where I was wanted and where I called home. I'd get out while it was of my own volition so it didn't look like I was yesterday's garbage and instead that it was a natural upward trajectory to my end goal of being coach of the flagship school of the state I grew up in.

That's not to say after losing to LSU and to that point having only pulled off one miracle win per each of our main rivals over the course of four years with #1 & #2 UGA & Bama looming wasn't reason to have him on a short leash, but just sayin'.

Not arguing any of that.  Just saying that there is a pretty strong contingent of the Ark PTB that hate him for any of the following:

"recruiting" HS kids to Springdale HS
conflict with Nutt during his tenure as OC
coaching at ASU
Kristi
leaving Arkansas

He's controversial there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 11:34:31 AM »
How is the buyout structured? I recall it being very one-sided (thanks Jay). If so, even more reason for him to voluntarily jump ship to "come home".
An article from last year.  It's less now, but not by much.
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburnauthority/2016/09/18/13795-million-decision-potential-buyout-analysis-gus-malzahn-his-staff/90623234/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 11:40:12 AM »

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

From what I can tell, if bought out by Dec 1, 2017:  6,898,958  Note, this is just for Gus, not the assistance, and I'm sure there would be extra money to buy them out of their contracts as well.

Matt Campbell's buyout on the same date is 9,575,000.  (He's also who I would want to hire)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 01:23:45 PM »
I disagree.

Hells, bells, he is wanted here IF, he could recruit and train a QB that is not a JUCO. Not shit the bed at least one or two times a season with piss poor play calling and plays that everyone knows is coming.

We have had top ten recruiting classes with barely top 20 coaching from him until last Sat.

The abuse he took this year is all his own doing for the last three years we have had put up with him.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 01:40:04 PM »
I have some contacts in Arkansas. They told me last week he’s already made the deal. Thinks he can walk out with a national title and come to Arkansas as a conquering hero with a six year cushion.

Mixed feelings. 

Never against him personally.   But he has limitations.  He’s had too much talent to be wallowing around with five losses a year.  If he thinks he can get same level talent in Arkansas? He’s dreaming. He cannot succeed there at the level he has at Auburn.  His lack of experience sometimes handcuffs him.

Tuberville had a knack for taking less talent, coaching it up and beating folks we shouldn’t have. To this point Gus has had better talent but managed to fiddle fuck his way to a couple of losses that shouldn’t happen. I’d be okay with seeing if he’s finally worked his way out of that. 

The good thing? If he does leave, the roster is stacked. The offensive talent we have — assuming Stidham stays — could easily and successfully transition into a different scheme. Might even be stronger.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 01:51:58 PM »
I gots a crisp $50 that says Malzahn is not at Arkansas next year and Gruden will not be UT's coach.

Any takers?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 02:08:41 PM »
I gots a crisp $50 that says Malzahn is not at Arkansas next year and Gruden will not be UT's coach.

Any takers?

None here.  My exact thoughts.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 02:19:25 PM »

Any takers?

I'll back your $50 with another $50

Any takers
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 02:19:39 PM »

Any takers?

I'll take that bet.

BUT

To collect, I'll need a flight to Atlanta, (lets say Sept 8th weekend 2018) Since I'll be in Auburn can you get me game tickets? A hotel room for the weekend would be nice.   Those 50 ones can then be all yours.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 02:28:28 PM »
I would gladly take the $50 off your hands if you hadn't put the Gus thing in there.  I know for a fact that Gruden will be UT's next coarch.

unless he isn't
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions