Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Home Stretch

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Home Stretch
« on: October 23, 2017, 11:01:57 AM »
2/3 of the way through the season and we're 6-2 (4-1).

Remaining games:

A&M
UGA
LaMo
Bama

Thankfully, we have a bye this week to get some key players healthy, especially along the OLine.  We've seen that as the OL goes, so goes Stidham.  Tray Matthews and Javaris Davis need to be back on the field as soon as possible, as well.

If we assume:

1) Healthy OL
2) Full complement of defensive starters
3) Pettway/Johnson both healthy and properly utilized

We're still going to end up at 7-5. 

Shreveport in December, baby!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

wesfau2

Re: Home Stretch
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 11:13:21 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 11:28:04 AM »
I am inclined now to agree more with WT (you have no idea how much it pains me to say it either). 

The way I see the season finishing:
1.  Everybody gets healthy and the offensive "brain trust" puts together a nice game plan to score 40+ on aTm.  A late interception seals the win.  Gus proclaims that his mojo is back and there is much rejoicing.

b.  Jawga comes to town full of themselves.  The defense steps up big and the offense squeaks out just enough to beat them hairy dogs down.  Gus proclaims that the West is within reach.

3.1.a.  LaMo gives the starters a rest to get ready for the Iron Bowl of the Century.  Gus proclaims that everybody is healthy and the West is going to be won the next week.

d.  The twirlybird makes it's 2017 debut and Chandler Cox runs for almost 20 yards.  The defense keeps it close until the 4th quarter, but then bammer pulls away for a 17 point win.

5.  We meet Wisconsin or Virginia or some other team we always play in late December/early January and somehow lose a game we feel we should win.

f.  Gus gets an extension and a raise for getting to 9 wins.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 11:30:28 AM by Buzz Killington »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

jmar

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 11:37:01 AM »
I am inclined now to agree more with WT (you have no idea how much it pains me to say it either). 

1.  Everybody gets healthy and the offensive "brain trust" puts together a nice game plan to score 40+ on aTm.  A late interception seals the win.  Gus proclaims that his mojo is back and there is much rejoicing.

b.  Jawga comes to town full of themselves.  The defense steps up big and the offense squeaks out just enough to beat them hairy dogs down.  Gus proclaims that the West is within reach.

3.1.a.  LaMo gives the starters a rest to get ready for the Iron Bowl of the Century.  Gus proclaims that everybody is healthy and the West is going to be won the next week.

d.  The twirlybird makes it's 2017 debut and Chandler Cox runs for almost 20 yards.  The defense keeps it close until the 4th quarter, but then bammer pulls away for a 17 point win.

5.  We meet Wisconsin or Virginia or some other team we always play in late December/early January and somehow lose a game we feel we should win.

And all is right with the world. We're good with sub par Richt numbers.   :aubie:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 12:43:15 PM »
I see 7 and 5 also. After every good win Gus puts his hands back in the cookie jar and fucks it all to hell.

I don't know if he survives a 7-5 season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

jmar

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 01:11:44 PM »
Something to shoot for:

Malzahn's Five @ AU                                                         

2013  12-2  7-1
2014  8-5   4-4
2015  7-6   2-6
2016  8-5   5-3
2017  6-2   4-1  **4 regular season games to go
      41-20  22-15

Richt's First Five @ UGA

2001  8-4   5-3
2002  13-1  7-1
2003  11-3  6-2
2004  10-2  6-2
2005  10-3  6-2
       52-13  30-10
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 01:14:40 PM »
A&M kickoff announced: 11am

Road game at the crack of dawn.  What could go wrong?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 02:08:46 PM »

Never feel like you need to apologize for agreeing with WT. It shows you are getting smarter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 04:22:39 PM »
Not going to give you the full wagon load but...

I did my research yesterday.  This is what I know:

1) Gus has one gameplan.  There are no variances.
2) That one plan works when the QB has the ability to pull the ball out and run - OR -
2a) When AU has the raw talent to impose its will at the line.
3) If the QB cannot run 2nd and 3 almost always becomes 2nd and 8+. 
4) receivers are not well coached. Routes are elementary. Haven’t had a good blocking WR since Darvin or maybe Coates. Good teams are not afraid to go man-to-man and sell out to stop the run. If the QB cannot add yards the offense is dead.
4b) We have few possession routes.  Everything is either behind the sticks or 20+ yards or more downfield
5) There is no plan for the middle of the field which allows teams to roll a safety down.
6) It’s not stubbornness.  He literally knows nothing else. He doesn’t have a varied background. He has never worked in a collegiate setting where anything other than this feast or famine abortion is run. 

Give me semi decent talent and a little time to prepare and I could shut his offense completely down.

We had lightning in a bottle with Marshall. The puzzlement on Gus’ face comes from the fact that he’s calling the same plays in the same order that USED to work.

If we beat A&M it will be because we have more talent. I would not bet on it. 

Georgia will punch us in the dick.  What Alabama does to us will be unspeakable.

As much as I hate to admit it, Gus is a one trick high school coach.  He has not grown, he has not matured, he has not learned.  He could be really successful at somewhere like south Alabama or LA Monroe or Wyoming. And maybe in time he could grow into a decent coach at this level.

Right now he’s skating by on the strength of hiring great recruiters. That talent, however, is being wasted.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

jmar

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 05:44:58 PM »

2) That one plan works when the QB has the ability to pull the ball out and run - OR -
4) receivers are not well coached. Routes are elementary. Haven’t had a good blocking WR since Darvin or maybe Coates. Good teams are not afraid to go man-to-man and sell out to stop the run. If the QB cannot add yards the offense is dead.
4b) We have few possession routes.  Everything is either behind the sticks or 20+ yards or more downfield
5) There is no plan for the middle of the field which allows teams to roll a safety down.
6) It’s not stubbornness.  He literally knows nothing else. He doesn’t have a varied background. He has never worked in a collegiate setting where anything other than this feast or famine abortion is run. 

Give me semi decent talent and a little time to prepare and I could shut his offense completely down.

We had lightning in a bottle with Marshall. The puzzlement on Gus’ face comes from the fact that he’s calling the same plays in the same order that USED to work.

Georgia will punch us in the dick.  What Alabama does to us will be unspeakable.

As much as I hate to admit it, Gus is a one trick high school coach.  He has not grown, he has not matured, he has not learned.  He could be really successful at somewhere like south Alabama or LA Monroe or Wyoming. And maybe in time he could grow into a decent coach at this level.

Right now he’s skating by on the strength of hiring great recruiters. That talent, however, is being wasted.
Give me the full wagon, crispy, loaded, no gravy,  hold the diced tomatoes. Tea 1/2 sweet, 1/2 unsweet, light ice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 06:09:13 PM »

The only part of your post that I disagree with is Gus not maturing. He actually got the  right DC in place, apparently.

He may have even put the right OC in place but he just couldn’t stop tinkering apparently.

He had the pieces to the puzzle fairly close this year. He had:has the opportunity to be a true ceo coach, which is the only thing that will work long term.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 06:18:03 PM »

I agree with everything.

I have a feeling...
Auburn will beat Arkansas, soundly.
Struggle a little with aTm after the bye week.
Luckily beat UGA.
Beat ULM by 10 or 14 (similar to the Mercer game).
Get demolished by bama.

9-3 record with a horrible taste in our mouths.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 06:20:27 PM »
The only part of your post that I disagree with is Gus not maturing. He actually got the  right DC in place, apparently.

He may have even put the right OC in place but he just couldn’t stop tinkering apparently.

He had the pieces to the puzzle fairly close this year. He had:has the opportunity to be a true ceo coach, which is the only thing that will work long term.
Believe me the DC sees things from above when the opposition defenses us. Has to be shaking his head and holding back the laughter. He gets paid well to constrain himself though.
So there's that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 06:35:15 PM »
Geniuses don't operate this way but by contrast Gus should be able to view film and know why HE stopped our offense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 06:48:35 PM »
Believe me the DC sees things from above when the opposition defenses us. Has to be shaking his head and holding back the laughter. He gets paid well to constrain himself though.
So there's that.
so says one of the biggest Gus supporters on the board. It’s like a secret crush you obviously have on the man. And you’re embarrassed about it.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 08:16:34 PM »
so says one of the biggest Gus supporters on the board. It’s like a secret crush you obviously have on the man. And you’re embarrassed about it.
I say we go 2-2 scraping by TAMU. Chavis will sell out to stop the run. They also lead the entire FBS in sacks. We run it and try to strike with the long ball. They played Alabama fair considering the talent disparity for those who think comparing scores is a good indicator. I never have.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 09:29:34 PM »
Here’s the other thing that gets to me. 

Garner is a decent coach.  Steele is a good coach.  Lindsey I don’t know. Hand is just his old jerkoff buddy from Tulsa.  We’ve had Muschamp. 

How can the good coaches who have been on our staff sit in the room and listen to this unqualified clown babble?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 09:43:36 PM »

Garner is a decent coach.  Steele is a good coach.  Lindsey I don’t know. Hand is just his old jerkoff buddy from Tulsa.  We’ve had Muschamp. 

How can the good coaches who have been on our staff sit in the room and listen to this unqualified clown babble?

C.R.E.A.M.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 09:59:39 PM »

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 10:10:05 PM »

No clue. We know Steele has to discuss adjustments with his guys.

The worst for me is when we are moving the ball and get stopped inside the ten. This is when we go full on wildcat, meaning passing is off the table and we are very likely to kick a field goal.

Most teams will try a little fade to the corner. I would follow that with a pick play but no...we have to line up and run three straight off tackle runs. And if we fail Malzahn has this screwy smirk on his face as if the offense failed him as he signals for the FG team.

He sets limits that can only be realized against weak teams.
Better coached, more talented opponents are going to force a field goal over the out manned.
He just doesn't get it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions