Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Iconic Voice Gone

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Iconic Voice Gone
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2017, 04:30:55 PM »
Just took this.

Fourth time Cornell's been on modern rock FM radio today out of less than an hour total I've had it on.

One station.  Congrats. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2017, 04:31:53 PM »
Just took this.

Fourth time Cornell's been on modern rock FM radio today out of less than an hour total I've had it on.

Now you are just being stupid. Anytime an artist dies, they play his shit...often.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Token

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2017, 04:53:16 PM »
Bottom line is this. I think "tear in my beer" is the worst shit I've ever heard in my life. How anyone can listen to that shit is beyond me. But I'm not so closed minded to say that it doesn't resonate with a generation of people simply because I didn't like it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I feel very sad for those of you who are stuck in one genre of music and can't appreciate different types of music for what it is. Whether or not y'all like it, Soundgarden was a huge band in the 90s rock movement away from hair band ballads. People knew Soundgarden solely based on the voice of their lead, Chris Cornell. The guy is an ICON (by definition) of the grunge movement.

Just because you don't like 90s grunge doesn't make it not so.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 04:55:25 PM by Token »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2017, 07:30:27 PM »
Bottom line is this. I think "tear in my beer" is the worst shit I've ever heard in my life. How anyone can listen to that shit is beyond me. But I'm not so closed minded to say that it doesn't resonate with a generation of people simply because I didn't like it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I feel very sad for those of you who are stuck in one genre of music and can't appreciate different types of music for what it is. Whether or not y'all like it, Soundgarden was a huge band in the 90s rock movement away from hair band ballads. People knew Soundgarden solely based on the voice of their lead, Chris Cornell. The guy is an ICON (by definition) of the grunge movement.

Just because you don't like 90s grunge doesn't make it not so.

Tear in my beer is pretty horrible. But I can see how some might view williams as an icon.  I don't but only because that kind of music is so far outside anything I'd listen to that I don't know the players or
History. 

Soundgarden is pretty good.  I liked it before many of you were old enough to know what it was. The other cornell stuff is margiinal to me.  And yes, Chizad, I'm aware of the platinum status.  I helped contribute to that by buying the stuff. 

I just have a different standard for an icon. 

Do you consider KISS icons?  They sold more albums and lasted much longer than all of cornells stuff combined. They are to me. I don't expect everyone to see it that way.

Same here.  I don't consider cornell iconic. My standard is different. That's not a crime. I never insisted that all must agree with me.  I'm not Kim Jung Chad. I don't demand compliance at the threat of a nuclear proliferation of links and insults.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2017, 09:24:33 PM »
You guys will argue about anything...

I wasn't a huge fan of SoundGarden, but always been a fan of Chris Cornell. Dude could flat out sing. He could be put in icon discussion for his cover of Billie Jean...the best Michael Jackson song there is...

Just another honky appropriating the Black Man's creations.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

chinook

« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2017, 09:31:15 PM »
Is that a Prius?

I'm going with a Chrysler minivan.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2017, 12:10:02 AM »

I'm going with a Chrysler minivan.

Well, he's a family man now, so....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Token

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2017, 11:27:22 AM »
Tear in my beer is pretty horrible. But I can see how some might view williams as an icon.  I don't but only because that kind of music is so far outside anything I'd listen to that I don't know the players or
History. 

Soundgarden is pretty good.  I liked it before many of you were old enough to know what it was. The other cornell stuff is margiinal to me.  And yes, Chizad, I'm aware of the platinum status.  I helped contribute to that by buying the stuff. 

I just have a different standard for an icon. 

Do you consider KISS icons?  They sold more albums and lasted much longer than all of cornells stuff combined. They are to me. I don't expect everyone to see it that way.

Same here.  I don't consider cornell iconic. My standard is different. That's not a crime. I never insisted that all must agree with me.  I'm not Kim Jung Chad. I don't demand compliance at the threat of a nuclear proliferation of links and insults.

I guess that's where we disagree.  I don't think icon status is based on opinion.  I think it's a fact. 

I'm not a kiss fan, never have been.  The best thing I've ever seen Gene Simmons do is threaten to slam a guys balls in a door at Reynolds Extract while trying to settle a lawsuit.  With that said, it's hard to think about Rock and Roll without thinking about KISS and the face paint.  They are an icon of rock and roll. 

I think the same about George Strait and Garth Brooks.  They were the faces and voices of the 80s and 90s country.  Every genre of music has a few bands or singers that will always be thought of when the topic comes up.  Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden are the faces of 90s grunge.  I don't think it's opinion, based on record sales I think it's a fact. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2017, 12:30:12 PM »

Now you are just being stupid. Anytime an artist icon dies, they play his shit...often.
FTFY.

Or do they do that for "session players" as well on modern rock radio?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2017, 10:47:07 PM »
His Temple of the dog tribute to his friend Andrew Bone is one of the best grunge albums of the 90's that music still holds up over 20 years later. #sayhellotoheaven
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2017, 02:05:50 PM »
His Temple of the dog tribute to his friend Andrew Bone is one of the best grunge albums of the 90's that music still holds up over 20 years later. #sayhellotoheaven

Agreed! I posted in previous pages. I could listen to that song several times in a row.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2017, 02:35:30 PM »
If we are going to open this can of worms again....

I object to the characterization of Led Zep in this thread.  I just heard immigrant song. Beats the fuck out of anything Cornell ever did. Just that one song.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2017, 02:37:46 PM »
This thread is iconic!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2017, 03:37:18 PM »
If we are going to open this can of worms again....

I object to the characterization of Led Zep in this thread.  I just heard immigrant song. Beats the fuck out of anything Cornell ever did. Just that one song.

They are - to me - the best rock n roll band of all time. So that's a hard sell.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2017, 02:08:40 PM »
About a year ago I ran across some of Chris' acoustic sets (may have even posted a few here) It started when I ran across this cover (think it was shortly after prince died when I found it)...

I was speechless when I heard it and listened to on repeat for God knows how many times. It lead me down a rabbit hole of finding different acoustic sets he had performed. Imo his version of "Nothing Compares" and "Billie Jean" are the greatest performances of those songs EVER. This mash up where he plays "One" using U2's chords and Metallica's lyrics shows this guy was fucking brilliant.

Not going to really get into the whole icon debate. If you didn't enjoy his music then thats your loss. He was a fucking legend to me (and apparently Axl Rose who in 1990 called Chris "the best vocalist out there.")

.... and since someone brought up Led Zeppelin..... His cover of "Thank You" is pretty awesome as well. Just to note, Jimmy Page attended the funeral..

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2017, 03:53:30 PM »
About a year ago I ran across some of Chris' acoustic sets (may have even posted a few here) It started when I ran across this cover (think it was shortly after prince died when I found it)...

I was speechless when I heard it and listened to on repeat for God knows how many times. It lead me down a rabbit hole of finding different acoustic sets he had performed. Imo his version of "Nothing Compares" and "Billie Jean" are the greatest performances of those songs EVER. This mash up where he plays "One" using U2's chords and Metallica's lyrics shows this guy was fucking brilliant.

Not going to really get into the whole icon debate. If you didn't enjoy his music then thats your loss. He was a fucking legend to me (and apparently Axl Rose who in 1990 called Chris "the best vocalist out there.")

.... and since someone brought up Led Zeppelin..... His cover of "Thank You" is pretty awesome as well. Just to note, Jimmy Page attended the funeral..

My mind is blown right now by the "one" cover.  Completely blown. 

Thank you for this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2017, 05:56:54 PM »

My loss then.  That's pretty fucking terrible.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2017, 08:55:38 PM »
My mind is blown right now by the "one" cover.  Completely blown. 

Thank you for this.
Mine was to man. I swear the first 4 or 5 times I heard it my brain kept trying to add Metallica's chords. I actually had a damn good friend, my best friend (who I don't see near enough since he joined the service 20 years ago) invite me to go see Soundgarden when they came to Tuscaloosa about a month or so ago. Between the wife (who was sick) and kids (who my ass had to watch) I didn't make it. I'll regret that for the rest of my days.

Btw, here is a few more videos that I ran across over the last year or so ago. Honestly there is much of his stuff out there that he'd done that I could take this thread to 20+ pages easy But for now....

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:10:45 PM by AUownsU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2017, 11:06:35 AM »
Just gonna leave this here.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2017, 12:22:13 PM »
Just gonna leave this here.

I agree that cash was an icon. But as a singer?  He's fucking awful.

He basically talks through every song.  Very little "singing"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions