Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

For Better Or Worse?

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
For Better Or Worse?
« on: May 31, 2017, 10:26:39 PM »
Looking at some old videos on the Googled Chrome U-Tubes recently.  Have been getting into some classic Doobie Brothers tunes and just about anytime I hear some of their old stuff, I just shake my head at how either:

A. They allowed Michael McDonald to destroy an incredible band, or;

2. They decided to "sell out" solely in the interest of $$$.

Probably one in the same.  But it got me to thinking, has there ever been a band that did that big of a 180 and changed their style so drastically?  They went from a fusion of guitar driven straight rock, southern rock, country...hell, I don't know how to describe it...to flat out top 40, synthesizer pop music.  Have no idea of the numbers but I imagine they made more money off their first "pop" album than all the others combined.  But the bottom line is that there was absolutely zero resemblance to the original sound.  Like an entirely different band.

But enough about the Doobies.  Just the best example I can think of. Who are some bands that you loved early on but later, wondered what the hell they were thinking?  What was that original album (or 2) that you thought, "Hells to the yes" but the band seemed to change for the worse from that point on?

It could be a change for the better.  IMO, one man changed music history by being called on to produce an album for a couple of bands.  AC/DC's early stuff was raw, scratchy, sometimes tough to listen to.  Don't get me wrong. It was original and had a great following.  But bringing in Mutt Lange to produce Highway To Hell was what put this band on the road to mega-stardom.  I picked that album up and went nuts. (Had em' back then)  Night and day difference.  Fuller, cleaner, bass driven rock. One of the great rock albums IMO.

Ever listen to the first Def Leppard effort?  Check out their original stuff then listen to how Lange transformed that band.  Made them into one of the hottest acts of the 80's and 90's. 

Who changed for the better/worse?  Why in your opinion?   
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:29:19 PM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: For Better Or Worse?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 10:57:42 PM »
BTW, doesn't matter the genre.  Could be a "country" artist/band, pop, whatever.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 12:05:50 AM »
I could argue KISS, but ya'll are tired of that.  Too bad.

1974: KISS.  First album of crunch rock brought standards Deuce, Firehouse, Cold Gin, Strutter, 100,000 Years.

1977: Love Gun.  Corporate-ish rock. 

1979: Dynasty. Sprinkled in disco

1981: Music From the Elder.  Opera-rock concept album. Flatlined

1983 - 87:  Lick It Up to Crazy Nights.  An effort at hairbandedness

1992: Revenge. Back to crunch

1997: Carnival of Souls. Effort to tap into grunge sound.  One of my favorite albums but it got overwhelmed by the Reunion.

2009 - 2012: Sonic Boom and Monster.  I don't know what that was.  A mishmash of hair band, corporate rock, crunch, ballady...

They never went to the extremes of say, Chicago, which flip flopped from whatever it was (good) before Peter Cetera to the boobmilk it was with him.   Or even Bon Jovi which is now, I hear, a country band.  But they kinda sorta tried to morph with the times in their own clumsy way. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 12:51:56 AM »
I could argue KISS, but ya'll are tired of that.  Too bad.

1974: KISS.  First album of crunch rock brought standards Deuce, Firehouse, Cold Gin, Strutter, 100,000 Years.

1977: Love Gun.  Corporate-ish rock. 

1979: Dynasty. Sprinkled in disco

1981: Music From the Elder.  Opera-rock concept album. Flatlined

1983 - 87:  Lick It Up to Crazy Nights.  An effort at hairbandedness

1992: Revenge. Back to crunch

1997: Carnival of Souls. Effort to tap into grunge sound.  One of my favorite albums but it got overwhelmed by the Reunion.

2009 - 2012: Sonic Boom and Monster.  I don't know what that was.  A mishmash of hair band, corporate rock, crunch, ballady...

They never went to the extremes of say, Chicago, which flip flopped from whatever it was (good) before Peter Cetera to the boobmilk it was with him.   Or even Bon Jovi which is now, I hear, a country band.  But they kinda sorta tried to morph with the times in their own clumsy way.

I was gonna mention Chicago, but you got there.

Hard to say I'm sorry...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 10:17:16 AM »
Kaos hit on it in his response.

Chicago.

Went from being the allman brothers of the north to being a gayer, more watered down reo speedwagon or hall and Oates (who I like mind you)

That is all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 10:26:19 AM »
Kaos hit on it in his response.

Chicago.

Went from being the allman brothers of the north to being a gayer, more watered down reo speedwagon or hall and Oates (who I like mind you)

That is all.
Yes.

Pre Cetera, their music was layered and intricate and complicated and operatic.  25 or 6 to 4 is an incredibly complex song.  With Cetera they devolved to sappy schmaltz.  A completely different band. 

I saw them in Auburn in the early 80s.  Like 82 maybe?  Cetera appeared drunk on stage.  Forgot the words to several songs. Laughed and snorted through others.  One of the worst concerts I've ever been to.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 10:37:33 AM »
Yes.

Pre Cetera, their music was layered and intricate and complicated and operatic.  25 or 6 to 4 is an incredibly complex song.  With Cetera they devolved to sappy schmaltz.  A completely different band. 

I saw them in Auburn in the early 80s.  Like 82 maybe?  Cetera appeared drunk on stage.  Forgot the words to several songs. Laughed and snorted through others.  One of the worst concerts I've ever been to.

I wonder if the cetera era even happens if Kath doesn't kill himself.

One of the tightest jam bands to ever exist in their 70's version. Up there with E street, Yes and the Allmans.

Speaking of - Yes also made a turn in the 80s to pop. From Long Distance Runaround and Roundabout to Owner of a Lonely Heart when Howe left.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 10:39:33 AM »
I wonder if the cetera era even happens if Kath doesn't kill himself.

One of the tightest jam bands to ever exist in their 70's version. Up there with E street, Yes and the Allmans.

Speaking of - Yes also made a turn in the 80s to pop. From Long Distance Runaround and Roundabout to Owner of a Lonely Heart when Howe left.

Good call.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 10:40:47 AM »
Good call.

Not that Howe didn't also do pop when he formed Asia right after.

Was the heat of the moment.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 04:22:28 PM »
I would rather watch "Beautician and the Beast". I would rather listen to Fran Drescher for eight hours than have to listen to Michael McDonald.

Nothing against him, but if I hear "Yah Mo B There" one more time, I'm going to "Yah Mo" burn this place to the ground.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 04:47:40 PM »
I would rather watch "Beautician and the Beast". I would rather listen to Fran Drescher for eight hours than have to listen to Michael McDonald.

Nothing against him, but if I hear "Yah Mo B There" one more time, I'm going to "Yah Mo" burn this place to the ground.

That's how I feel about anything country.  Anything. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 06:11:01 PM »
That's how I feel about anything country.  Anything.

What if I told you....

That the genre we all know and love on here - rock n roll - wouldn't exist without country or blues? Just about every big rock act references back to a country or blues pioneer as their inspiration. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 06:14:25 PM »
What if I told you....

That the genre we all know and love on here - rock n roll - wouldn't exist without country or blues? Just about every big rock act references back to a country or blues pioneer as their inspiration.

Let me revise.

Country after about 1983 or so.  I like CDB. A lot.  I love real zydeco. 

I don't like "new" country.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 07:31:22 PM »
Let me revise.

Country after about 1983 or so.  I like CDB. A lot.  I love real zydeco. 

I don't like "new" country.

Better.

Are you still in the Randy Owen and Garth Brooks fan clubs?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 09:52:22 PM »
Better.

I can answer for him on both. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 10:19:16 PM »
Better.

Alabama was okay at the very beginning. Garth Brooks, despite his professed admiration for KISS (and the fact that he stole much of his stage show from what they do) is the devil.  He is the form of the destructor. One whined note bellowed from his nasal passage makes me want to torture baby bunnies. Everything about him disgusts me. I'd like to take that stupid hat he wears, wad it up real tight and jam it down his throat with a broom handle.  It's an almost supernatural hate.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 10:55:40 PM »
Alabama was okay at the very beginning. Garth Brooks, despite his professed admiration for KISS (and the fact that he stole much of his stage show from what they do) is the devil.  He is the form of the destructor. One whined note bellowed from his nasal passage makes me want to torture baby bunnies. Everything about him disgusts me. I'd like to take that stupid hat he wears, wad it up real tight and jam it down his throat with a broom handle.  It's an almost supernatural hate.

I said Garth Brooks, not Randy Travis.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE