Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Iconic Voice Gone

chinook

Re: Iconic Voice Gone
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 12:41:48 PM »
Hank Jr. is 67 years old. His daddy was iconic. And he probably is also. If he is on the radio, more folks can say his name than most. So maybe he is iconic also.

If I played Sound Garden or Audioslave, how many folks would name the singer? Or the band? Not saying its not good music. We just tend to over accentuate the traits of dead people these days.

i am not disputing on hank jr. being iconic or not...i am simply saying to your cracker ass...keep on trucking with hank jr. blaring on the radio and that 99 cent rebel flag sticker on the back window.

i am saying you're wrong about him not being iconic.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:54:11 PM by chinook »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 01:43:00 PM »
A legend in my book!!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 02:02:04 PM »
Even though I wasn't a huge fan of the grunge movement at the time, I really appreciated some of the stuff Soundgarden did musically.  And yes, that voice was off the charts.  Many moons ago, before you could pull up a tutorial on any song on the Youtubes, I was taking guitar from one of the most gifted musicians I've ever met.  I didn't want theory, I wanted to take him a song and say "Show me."

He could listen to something once or twice and be ready to teach me every guitar part.  There was one Soundgarden song I gave him (Forget which one now) He listened, started showing me the chords etc. and we both just stopped and agreed to move on to something else.  "No, you're not playing this."

You're right.  How bout' some Hank Jr.?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 02:51:04 PM »
Apparently he hung himself.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 02:58:37 PM »
Apparently he hung himself.

Robin Williams or Michael Hutchence style?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

bgreene

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 03:07:55 PM »

Many may have herd of Soundgarden, but they do not immediately think of the name of the front man.

I guess it takes a bit more for me to claim a guy is iconic. Maybe everyone born after 1975 just swoons a bit easier.

So what you're saying is, the "Iconic" label is like the participation trophy for the dead these days.

I am just the opposite when it comes to thinking of Soundgarden before Chris.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Men are made stronger on the realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."

-Sidney Phillips

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 03:11:38 PM »
Bullshit.

Les Paul is iconic and I'd wager that less than 25% of America knows who he is.

I know Les Paul.  This means something to me:  1973 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe in a Tobacco Sunburst finish.

As far as this guy?  You can be talented but not influential or iconic.  You can be influential without being the other two either.  You have to be a little of both to be iconic. 

This guy had talent.  A little influence maybe. 

But I agree with CC. His contributions fall short of icon status. No more an 'icon' than Scott weiland. Or Danny Bonaduce. 

Not a "long remembered and revered" kind of guy. 

We toss that kind of language around too freely these days.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 03:26:28 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Token

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 08:15:27 PM »
Iconic.  Influential.  Talented. 

Whatever adjective he did or didn't earn as a singer, I loved the guy's music.  Grew up on 90s rock.  It was my era and he was a very distinct voice in it.  The music video to black hole sun is one of the things I'll never forget about the 90s and MTV back when they actually played music. 

His death doesn't make me sad because I was close to him or believed he to be a musical icon.  His death makes me sad because it reminds me of my favorite decade and serves as a reminder that death is slowly creeping on us all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 08:39:12 PM »
I doubt that. Most everyone would say he has something to do with guitars.

Look up the definition.
I thought you were a scholar...

Definition of icon
1:  a usually pictorial representation :  image
2:  a conventional religious image typically painted on a small wooden panel and used in the devotions of Eastern Christians
3:  an object of uncritical devotion :  idol
4:  emblem, symbol
5a:  a sign (such as a word or graphic symbol) whose form suggests its meaning
5b:  a graphic symbol on a computer display screen that represents an object (such as a file) or function (such as the command to delete)

I asked Webster.  He doesn't know what the fuck you are talking about.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 08:58:25 PM »
I asked Webster.  He doesn't know what the fuck you are talking about.

Apparently, neither do you!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Token

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2017, 09:00:32 PM »

Apparently, neither do you!

Chris Cornell is an absolute symbol of the grunge movement in the 90s.  By definition, he is in fact an icon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bgreene

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 09:03:03 PM »
I know Les Paul.  This means something to me:  1973 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe in a Tobacco Sunburst finish.

As far as this guy?  You can be talented but not influential or iconic.  You can be influential without being the other two either.  You have to be a little of both to be iconic. 

This guy had talent.  A little influence maybe. 

But I agree with CC. His contributions fall short of icon status. No more an 'icon' than Scott weiland. Or Danny Bonaduce. 

Not a "long remembered and revered" kind of guy. 

We toss that kind of language around too freely these days.

I disagree, STP, Soundgarden, PJ, Nirvana and AIC were all the voice of the 90's. Each one of them were the sound and voice of my decade and are all iconic for what they did to change the music scene for the better.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Men are made stronger on the realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."

-Sidney Phillips

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2017, 10:39:48 PM »

I disagree, STP, Soundgarden, PJ, Nirvana and AIC were all the voice of the 90's. Each one of them were the sound and voice of my decade and are all iconic for what they did to change the music scene for the better.

Maybe them. But not so him. 

Not worth arguing about. Means nothing to me beyond the fact that he sang a few songs I liked okay. No more or less iconic to me than Kip Winger.  If he meant more to you so be it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 07:44:47 AM »
Maybe them. But not so him. 
Ok this is proof positive you're just being argumentative for the sake of argument.

Those bands and Soundgarden (which is one of "them" anyway) are inseparable as ICONS of the grunge era. Cornell arguably more than the others due to his work with Temple of the Dog, Audioslave, solo, etc.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2017, 07:49:35 AM »
Ok this is proof positive you're just being argumentative for the sake of argument.

Those bands and Soundgarden (which is one of "them" anyway) are inseparable as ICONS of the grunge era. Cornell arguably more than the others due to his work with Temple of the Dog, Audioslave, solo, etc.

Session players are not icons.  Otherwise Anton Figg would have a statue.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2017, 08:05:29 AM »
Session players are not icons.  Otherwise Anton Figg would have a statue.
Also proving you'll argue with authority over something you're uniquely ignorant about.

Lead singer and founder of each of those. And how does one become a session player for their own solo work?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2017, 09:05:28 AM »
Also proving you'll argue with authority over something you're uniquely ignorant about.

Lead singer and founder of each of those. And how does one become a session player for their own solo work?

I'll take his "session" work with Zac Brown Band all day long.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2017, 09:29:43 AM »
You guys will argue about anything...

I wasn't a huge fan of SoundGarden, but always been a fan of Chris Cornell. Dude could flat out sing. He could be put in icon discussion for his cover of Billie Jean...the best Michael Jackson song there is...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2017, 09:37:05 AM »
You guys will argue about anything...

I wasn't a huge fan of SoundGarden, but always been a fan of Chris Cornell. Dude could flat out sing. He could be put in icon discussion for his cover of Billie Jean...the best Michael Jackson song there is...

Holy shit I had never heard that cover. Damn he could sing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2017, 09:45:00 AM »
Holy shit I had never heard that cover. Damn he could sing.

Large set of pipes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions