By Stephen Colbert...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
Re: Trump's first 99 Days...in 99 seconds
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 09:41:30 PM »
Fried Apple Pie
Ingredients

Dough
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons shortening, chilled

Filling
1/4 cup water, cold
1 cup apple cider or juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 pinch ground cloves
Pinch of salt
2 pounds Braeburn or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
1 egg, beaten

Frying
6 to 8 cups vegetable oil
Powdered sugar

Special Equipment
Deep cast-iron pan or Dutch oven
Deep-frying thermometer or candy thermometer
Spider skimmer or slotted spoon

Make the Crust and Prepare the Filling
Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut the shortening into the flour, using a pastry cutter or fork.

Add the cold water 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough is pliable enough to form a ball. Wrap the dough ball in plastic wrap and chill it in the refrigerator while you make the filling.

Mix the apple cider or juice and granulated sugar in a saucepan. Sprinkle in the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and a pinch of salt. Simmer the cider until it reduces by half.

Mix the apples, lemon juice, lemon zest in a mixing bowl and add them to the saucepan. Turn the heat to "Low" and simmer until the apples soften slightly, about 5 minutes. Set the apple filling aside.

Fill and Fry
Take the dough out of the refrigerator and roll it out to about 1/8 inch thick on a floured work surface. Cut the dough into 5- or 6-inch rounds, using a saucer as a guide.

Brush the edges of each dough round with the beaten egg. Spoon about 1/4 cup of filling on half of each round.

Fold the rounds over to form the pies and seal the edges with the tines of a fork.

Fill a cast-iron frying pan or Dutch oven with 6 to 8 inches of vegetable oil. Set it over medium heat on the stove and heat it until it reaches 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Lower 2 or 3 pies into the oil, using a slotted spoon or spider. Fry the apple pies until golden brown, about 6 minutes each side. Retrieve the pies with the slotted spoon or spider and set them on paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with powdered sugar while hot.

Cooking Notes
Keep the diced apples fresh. After dicing, place the apples in a bowl of cold water.

Need a shortcut or variation on the old-fashioned crust? Substitute prepared biscuit dough or frozen puff pastry. Both are easy to work with and fry to a flaky finish.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 10:50:04 PM »
Fried Apple Pie
Ingredients

Dough
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons shortening, chilled

Filling
1/4 cup water, cold
1 cup apple cider or juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 pinch ground cloves
Pinch of salt
2 pounds Braeburn or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
1 egg, beaten

Frying
6 to 8 cups vegetable oil
Powdered sugar

Special Equipment
Deep cast-iron pan or Dutch oven
Deep-frying thermometer or candy thermometer
Spider skimmer or slotted spoon

Make the Crust and Prepare the Filling
Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut the shortening into the flour, using a pastry cutter or fork.

Add the cold water 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough is pliable enough to form a ball. Wrap the dough ball in plastic wrap and chill it in the refrigerator while you make the filling.

Mix the apple cider or juice and granulated sugar in a saucepan. Sprinkle in the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and a pinch of salt. Simmer the cider until it reduces by half.

Mix the apples, lemon juice, lemon zest in a mixing bowl and add them to the saucepan. Turn the heat to "Low" and simmer until the apples soften slightly, about 5 minutes. Set the apple filling aside.

Fill and Fry
Take the dough out of the refrigerator and roll it out to about 1/8 inch thick on a floured work surface. Cut the dough into 5- or 6-inch rounds, using a saucer as a guide.

Brush the edges of each dough round with the beaten egg. Spoon about 1/4 cup of filling on half of each round.

Fold the rounds over to form the pies and seal the edges with the tines of a fork.

Fill a cast-iron frying pan or Dutch oven with 6 to 8 inches of vegetable oil. Set it over medium heat on the stove and heat it until it reaches 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Lower 2 or 3 pies into the oil, using a slotted spoon or spider. Fry the apple pies until golden brown, about 6 minutes each side. Retrieve the pies with the slotted spoon or spider and set them on paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with powdered sugar while hot.

Cooking Notes
Keep the diced apples fresh. After dicing, place the apples in a bowl of cold water.

Need a shortcut or variation on the old-fashioned crust? Substitute prepared biscuit dough or frozen puff pastry. Both are easy to work with and fry to a flaky finish.
Do you know how to season a cast iron frying pan? Also, where can I find a Dutch oven? Used to have one when I camped some but have lost track of it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Token

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 01:10:42 PM »
How do y'all cleanse cast iron after use? I've been told not to use soap but it's hard for me to believe that works.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 01:23:21 PM »
How do y'all cleanse cast iron after use? I've been told not to use soap but it's hard for me to believe that works.

Let it soak in some warm water and Dawn dishwashing soap.  Wipes clean in seconds.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 02:03:47 PM »
Let it soak in some warm water and Dawn dishwashing soap.  Wipes clean in seconds.

I thought you were supposed to just let it sit and wipe it out with a paper towel.  I don't think my grandmother ever washed her cast iron skillet. She just let it "season"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

chinook

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 02:13:27 PM »
I thought you were supposed to just let it sit and wipe it out with a paper towel.  I don't think my grandmother ever washed her cast iron skillet. She just let it "season"

i don't think he was serious.  he isn't prowler stupid. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 07:36:18 PM »
Did he really post Colbert?  Seriously? I knew he was dumb, but dadgum....Colbert?   

Seriously, he should leave the left wing sites alone and stop posting here.

We are all dumber and didn't learn anything....may god have mercy on our souls.

Prowler makes me wish Greasy Weasle and Birmingham was still around.  At least added to the conversation other than his conspiracy sites.  He may be the dumbest person I've ever seen on a message board and that is saying a lot.

I'll post a top notch recipie later.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 09:07:52 PM »
Did he really post Colbert?  Seriously? I knew he was dumb, but dadgum....Colbert?   

Seriously, he should leave the left wing sites alone and stop posting here.

We are all dumber and didn't learn anything....may god have mercy on our souls.

Prowler makes me wish Greasy Weasle and Birmingham was still around.  At least added to the conversation other than his conspiracy sites.  He may be the dumbest person I've ever seen on a message board and that is saying a lot.

I'll post a top notch recipie later.

If Trump wasn't President, Colbert wouldn't have a job.  He's a no talent hack that replaced a no talent hack that lost it 10 years before he retired.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Token

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 09:57:11 PM »

There you go, I've heard both ways. Guess I'll try them both.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 02:58:09 AM »
100th day has passed...still zero accomplishments and that's with a stacked deck. Sad!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 09:17:01 AM »
Prowler makes me wish Greasy Weasle and Birmingham was still around. 
I was re-reading the Birmingham thread just the other day.  There is no way possible that any other thread will top that one.  Ever.  Prowler is trying his hardest lately, but it's just not possible. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 09:59:59 AM »
FYI--I found a lodge cast iron 8 quart Dutch oven at WMart for 55 bucks. Apparently, not seasoned already. But noticed that you can buy them that way.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 10:01:39 AM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 11:23:40 AM »
FYI--I found a lodge cast iron 8 quart Dutch oven at WMart for 55 bucks. Apparently, not seasoned already. But noticed that you can buy them that way.
Pre-seasoned cast iron skillets? Now that is just catering to the lazy. A good part of the allure of using cast iron crockery is the seasoning process. Some refer to it as an act of love - that the seasoning step is more important than the actual cooking.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 11:25:55 AM »
And for the record, you NEVER wash a cast iron skillet. You wipe it clean with a dry cloth.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 02:32:41 PM »
And for the record, you NEVER wash a cast iron skillet. You wipe it clean with a dry cloth.
And tablespoon of salt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 06:06:01 PM »
Of course its a goddam suggestion.  He's not Obama. He's not going to run around issuing executive orders.  He's going to suggest that we do this. 
WRONG!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 06:24:45 PM »
WRONG!

It's like talking to a brick wall with you!

I hope you didn't spread your seed!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 06:53:05 AM »
This would require a woman.  Presumably.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 07:32:49 PM »

It's like talking to a brick wall with you!

The wall that will never be built, Sad!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions