• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
The Last Ten Years of Auburn Football
« on: November 27, 2016, 12:49:19 PM »
Overall record, conference record, bowl game

2007:9-4, 5-3; Peach Bowl (W)

2008: 5-7, 2-6; No bowl game, Tuberville fired

2009: 8-5, 3-5; Outback Bowl (W)

2010: 14-0, 8-0; SEC Championship, BCS Championship Game (W)

2011: 8-5, 4-4; Chick-Fil-A Bowl (W)

2012: 3-9, 0-8; No bowl game, Chizik fired

2013: 12-2, 7-1; SEC Championship, BCS Championship Game (L)

2014: 8-5, 4-4; Outback Bowl (L)

2015: 7-6, 2-6; Birmingham Bowl (W)

2016: 8-4, 5-3; Bowl Game TBD

Overall Wins: 82
Overall Losses: 47
SEC Wins: 40
SEC Losses: 40
Average Record Overall: 8-4/7-5
Average Record SEC: 4-4

1 National Championship
2 SEC Championships
Bowl Record: 6-2
Two years with no bowl.
Three head coaches.

We are what we are, folks. Up, way up, way down, sorta down, sorta up. Fleeting moments of great heights followed by crashing lows and a lot of in the middle.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 12:54:33 PM by The Six »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Re: The Last Ten Years of Auburn Football
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 01:15:42 PM »
There's a  bigger issue though. 2011, 2015, and 2016 had records that don't reflect the real shittiness of the season. 2012 should never happen at Auburn. 2014 should have been a championship season.

We shouldn't be what we are. That's on Jacobs. Fuck him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 01:22:23 PM »
That's on Jacobs.

Far as I can tell he's not the one building game plans that involve the injured fullback taking a snap, spinning around, and throwing a duck twenty yards down the field on a 4th down with the game still in the balance.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 01:47:33 PM »
Although I'm disappointed in this season, it's definitely better than last. And it's one of the better ones in the last ten years, though it doesn't feel like it.

Doesn't matter how any of you feel about Gus. He's our coach until I and other boosters decide differently.

Get on the bus or get left at the stop.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 02:16:49 PM »
Although I'm disappointed in this season, it's definitely better than last. And it's one of the better ones in the last ten years, though it doesn't feel like it.

Doesn't matter how any of you feel about Gus. He's our coach until I and other boosters decide differently.

Get on the bus or get left at the stop.

Better one of the last ten years? Haaaa.

I'd say one of the worst. We were a Hail Mary away from beating Clemson but we lost because the offense had no idea what it was and we squandered the majority of the game. Probably could have beaten A&M. Should have beat Georgia to set up a huge Iron Bowl. Should have been able to get up big on Bama in the first half.

And I say "should" not out of wishful thinking but out of the fact that we had the pieces there to be a good football team. A really good one when healthy. Terrible game planning and preparation killed this season. Poor player development and talent evaluation might kill the program for as long as Gus is there.

One of the worst seasons I've experienced.

And to add - our only good wins were against an LSU team that fired its coach, a god awful Miss St team, a seven loss Ole Miss team, and an Arkansas team that lost to Missouri. We were awful this year with very little to show for it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 03:54:22 PM »

I'd say one of the worst. We were a Hail Mary away from beating Clemson but we lost because the offense had no idea what it was and we squandered the majority of the game. Probably could have beaten A&M. Should have beat Georgia to set up a huge Iron Bowl. Should have been able to get up big on Bama in the first half.

And I say "should" not out of wishful thinking but out of the fact that we had the pieces there to be a good football team. A really good one when healthy. Terrible game planning and preparation killed this season. Poor player development and talent evaluation might kill the program for as long as Gus is there.

And to add - our only good wins were against an LSU team that fired its coach, a god awful Miss St team, a seven loss Ole Miss team, and an Arkansas team that lost to Missouri. We were awful this year with very little to show for it.
Math isn't your strong suit then. The two things that make it improved and one of the better are the wins/losses and the defense.

Agree that the Georgia loss is really bad. Incredibly bad. No excuses bad.

I don't understand why someone wouldn't see this season as improved over last and better than the 10 year average but regardless, the 10 year avg isn't good enough. The lows are too low.

But I have hope. And I'm encouraged that Gus will make some changes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 05:50:07 PM »
8 and 4

let's pay the coaches more

8 and 4

let's pay the coaches more
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 10:58:46 PM »

Damn dude.  Really?  Either your expectations are completely out of whack or you haven't experienced much in your lifetime.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 11:06:23 PM »
There's a  bigger issue though. 2011, 2015, and 2016 had records that don't reflect the real shittiness of the season. 2012 should never happen at Auburn. 2014 should have been a championship season.

We shouldn't be what we are. That's on Jacobs. Fuck him.

Compare it to the ten years of dye. Who took over at the tailend of bamas decade run over us. With bear still at the helm. With auburn at a historic low. With 11 game seasons. Look at what dye did from 82-90. We can beat most teams most of the time. It's a coaching thing. We have as much talent as ever. This ebb n flow shit is for the birds. It ain't us. Even the 90s weren't this up and down. Even with that fuck up tater tot.

So in summary, yes you are right. I agree. We shouldn't be this. We should be what we were between 1982 and 1990. We had a chance every single game during those years. Dyes blow out losses were far and few. We were tough. We didn't back down. And we most certainly served notice to Bama and Georgia that they weren't pushing us around. We're back in the fuckin 70s again with this shit. We are their bitch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 11:33:51 PM »
Damn dude.  Really?  Either your expectations are completely out of whack or you haven't experienced much in your lifetime.

I'd take 2008 over this. 2003 too. Probably 2014. I'd take 2015 over this year because I at least could stop giving a shit about it all.

Maybe my fanaticism only goes back to 2003, but I can only think of two seasons worse than this one: 2011 and 2012.

Even 2011 didn't have me thinking we'd turned the corner to possibly compete for the SEC West.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 12:04:45 AM »
"Yes. Give me consistency with no trips to the championship game" , said no sane fan ever.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 07:06:14 AM »
"Yes. Give me consistency with no trips to the championship game" , said no sane fan ever.

Or any Georgia fan.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 08:17:33 AM »

How about having both? They don't have to be mutually exclusive.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 08:38:42 AM »
I'd take 2008 over this.

You're retarded.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 08:53:09 AM »
How about having both? They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

They are for us, clearly.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 09:47:56 AM »
I've been an Auburn fan since Shug Jordan was coaching.  I've seen a lot in my years of Auburn football. 

I've seen us lose, I've seen us win.  I've been elated and I've been sad. I've been bitterly disappointed. I've been moved. 

Before the Chizik/Malzahn era, even through the frustration of the Barfield years, I could count on one hand the number of times I've ever been embarrassed by what I saw on the field. 

Under those two?  Time after time.  I've been disgusted and embarrassed by the product that was put on the field and how unprepared and foolish we looked in process.  Glaring, shocking ineptitude at the most critical position on the field.  Clint Moseley's time under center was a clown show.  Kahouli Frazier was pathetic.  No disrespect to Sean White who tries as hard as he can, but there isn't a remotely adequate quarterback on the roster right now.  How in the hell could anyone have watched Franklin and thought "this guy can play in the SEC."  It's a profound inability to evaluate and prepare talent.

Les Miles was scorned  for his inability to develop a quarterback.  I'd take Brandon Harris, Anthony Jennings, Jarrett Lee or Jordan Jefferson over a lot of what we've had.   

Take away Cam -- who was a gift -- and Nick Marshall -- who was an anomaly -- and we've had the worst assortment of quarterbacks I've ever seen at Auburn.  And I'm talking five decades of the game.  The only thing I can think of that is even close Dye's first year when we had Joe Sullivan, Ken Hobby and Charles Thomas.  Still not as appallingly bad as the chumps Malzahn has thrown to the wolves. 

There's absolutely zero development at all. None. Don't try to tell me Marshall was a better QB in his second year.  I'm frankly glad Cam left after his one season because I'd hate to have him screwed up by another year in that cluster hump.   

It's not just at QB.  We don't know who the RB is going to be.  Took them several games to figure out Tre Mason was the man in 2013.  Ben Tate languished on the sidelines at times with no explanation. If not for a rash of injuries and defections we don't ever hear of Pettway. 

I don't care as much as I used to, but to the extent that I care?  I think Malzahn is in over his head.  I don't think he knows what he's doing.  I think he'd be a good position coach whose only task is to take the players he's given and devise a gameplan to attack the defense.  In order to do that, however, he's got to be able to focus exclusively on that.   

When he can't?  He doesn't see all the angles.  He "thinks" he sees things that aren't there because he only looked at the film five times instead of the ten he needed to.  He's as lost in the overall process as any coach I've ever seen at any level.  The coach I worked under at a 1A high school in Alabama had a better grasp of the big picture before and during the game than Gus does.  We don't make adjustments because he doesn't know what needs to be changed.  Or he won't listen.  He meddles when he should be quiet.  Hesitates when he should act.  Doubts himself when he should stay the course and stays the course when he should vary. 

He's not a good head coach and contrary to what I once thought, I don't know that he ever will be.  I wish he'd leave of his own accord and go to Carolina as offensive coordinator. 

As LSU proved this week, however, there's no guarantee what you'll get will be any better.  Orgeron is a passionate guy and he clearly loves LSU.  He's an emotional coach, however, and those (like Houston Nutt) never, ever last.  Before they're done, they make huge messes too. 

With Jacobs doing the hiring should Malzahn leave?  We'd probably end up with Joel Osteen as head coach. 
As long as Gus is here, though, this is what we're going to get.  Abysmal quarterback play (unless he stumbles on a miracle) and misplaced loyalties. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2016, 10:12:01 AM »
He speaks for all of us ^^

And THS, you're nuts if you think 08 is better than this year. Other than Georgia we prob lost to better teams this year. The play aside. In 08 and even worse, 12 - we lost to several teams that we had no business losing to. Do you remember what it feels like to lose to Mississippi state and vandy? That's bad.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:20:15 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 10:13:33 AM »
We'd probably end up with Joel Osteen as head coach. 

The Internet was won early on Monday, November 28, 2016.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 12:20:02 PM »
We'd probably end up with Joel Osteen as head coach. 

I bet he wouldn't call that dumbass play on 4th and 3.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 12:42:32 PM »
Math isn't your strong suit then. The two things that make it improved and one of the better are the wins/losses and the defense.

Agree that the Georgia loss is really bad. Incredibly bad. No excuses bad.

I don't understand why someone wouldn't see this season as improved over last and better than the 10 year average but regardless, the 10 year avg isn't good enough. The lows are too low.

But I have hope. And I'm encouraged that Gus will make some changes.

2014, 2015 had the same hope.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 12:44:23 PM by dallaswareagle »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'