friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Auburn Basketball 2016-2017
« Reply #381 on: February 14, 2017, 09:42:03 PM »
Defense-clap-clap-Defense-clap-clap

Sixty four in the second half tonight.  That's 127 second half points in the last two games. 

Ted Roof is giggling. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

jmar

« Reply #382 on: February 15, 2017, 01:11:14 AM »
Sixty four in the second half tonight.  That's 127 second half points in the last two games. 

Ted Roof is giggling.
Pearl can recruit but we aren't going anywhere.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #383 on: February 15, 2017, 09:23:11 AM »
I had a thought the other day, which is unusual since I don't often have those.  And I'm actually fo realz in proposing this.  Hire Sonny Smith as an assistant.  Put him in charge of changing the way they rebound at both ends of the floor. That's it.  Simple!

Coach Smith rarely had guys over 6'4" to 6'6" other than maybe Chuck Person and Chris Morris.  They were always at or near the top of the league in rebounding.  They knew how to get physical underneath, get position and attack the loose balls.  We're sitting 11th overall in the league in rebounding and I'll bet the number of offensive rebounds for our opponents is astounding. 

Fix that phase of the game and while it won't cure all the defensive woes, it would improve the D significantly.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #384 on: February 15, 2017, 09:47:31 AM »
I had a thought the other day, which is unusual since I don't often have those.  And I'm actually fo realz in proposing this.  Hire Sonny Smith as an assistant.  Put him in charge of changing the way they rebound at both ends of the floor. That's it.  Simple!

Coach Smith rarely had guys over 6'4" to 6'6" other than maybe Chuck Person and Chris Morris.  They were always at or near the top of the league in rebounding.  They knew how to get physical underneath, get position and attack the loose balls.  We're sitting 11th overall in the league in rebounding and I'll bet the number of offensive rebounds for our opponents is astounding. 

Fix that phase of the game and while it won't cure all the defensive woes, it would improve the D significantly.   

Basic defense is a problem for us.  They ran the fucking back door cut about 4 times in a row on us.  We got our lunch money taken by a fucking kid named "Canyon."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #385 on: February 15, 2017, 10:12:09 AM »
Basic defense is a problem for us.  They ran the fucking back door cut about 4 times in a row on us.  We got our lunch money taken by a fucking kid named "Canyon."

I agree, but check out this concept.  We don't run an offense.  The only thing remotely resembling an offense that we've run is passing the ball around the perimeter until we get an open 3, or a guard drives the lane and either shoots or dishes/kicks it out.  That's it.  That's the entirety of the offensive sets since Pearl arrived.

How do you teach defense against actual offensive sets/plays when you don't/can't run them yourself?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #386 on: February 15, 2017, 10:28:30 AM »
That's fair.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #387 on: February 15, 2017, 10:34:10 AM »
I agree, but check out this concept.  We don't run an offense.  The only thing remotely resembling an offense that we've run is passing the ball around the perimeter until we get an open 3, or a guard drives the lane and either shoots or dishes/kicks it out.  That's it.  That's the entirety of the offensive sets since Pearl arrived.

How do you teach defense against actual offensive sets/plays when you don't/can't run them yourself?
You just don't know anything about big boy basketball.  We run that play where we pass it a couple of times on the perimeter and then somebody launches a contested three and then watches while the other team grabs the rebound and takes it down for an easy layup.  That one is very difficult to implement.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #388 on: February 15, 2017, 11:34:24 AM »
I'm going to go ahead and say it is what it is.  Pearl has a history of very good success everywhere he's been.  He hasn't forgotten how to coach or what got him all those wins at different places.  I remember his teams at Tennessee, but I honestly couldn't tell you what style they played or if there was some particular offense they ran.  The one thing I do remember is them being very big and athletic. I think he had some 6'9" guy named Chism or some shit that always seemed to wreak havoc in the middle. 

Ultimately, I think Pearl's success is going to come from simply out-athleting (If that's a word) most other teams.  Even with no real go to offense, we still can score in bunches at times.  It may just be that he needs a couple more recruiting classes to load the wagon up and say, "I'll put mine against yours and we'll see who scores more."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #389 on: February 15, 2017, 12:44:11 PM »
We have basketball ejaculation dysfunction. We are fine early on but can't finish at all. Can't keep leaving the partner hanging like that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #390 on: February 15, 2017, 01:26:15 PM »
I'm going to go ahead and say it is what it is.  Pearl has a history of very good success everywhere he's been.  He hasn't forgotten how to coach or what got him all those wins at different places.  I remember his teams at Tennessee, but I honestly couldn't tell you what style they played or if there was some particular offense they ran.  The one thing I do remember is them being very big and athletic. I think he had some 6'9" guy named Chism or some shoot that always seemed to wreak havoc in the middle. 

Ultimately, I think Pearl's success is going to come from simply out-athleting (If that's a word) most other teams.  Even with no real go to offense, we still can score in bunches at times.  It may just be that he needs a couple more recruiting classes to load the wagon up and say, "I'll put mine against yours and we'll see who scores more."

His Tennessee teams ran his version of 40 minutes of hell.  So far at Auburn, it's 31 minutes of mildly uncomfortable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #391 on: February 15, 2017, 01:42:52 PM »
His Tennessee teams ran his version of 40 minutes of hell.  So far at Auburn, it's 31 minutes of mildly uncomfortable.

Coach, your team was down all game until about 10 minutes to go and then it seemed that Auburn ran out of gas.

Yeah that's right.  Coach Pearl has a really good team over there and they had us feeling somewhat uneasy for most of the game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #392 on: February 15, 2017, 02:34:08 PM »

This would be seriously funny t-shirt material.  On the front:

Picture of Bruce.  AUBURN BASKETBALL Then the "40 minutes of hell" with the circle/slash around it.  On the back:

31 MINUTES OF MILDLY UNCOMFORTABLE
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #393 on: February 15, 2017, 03:19:29 PM »
I'm going to go ahead and say it is what it is.  Pearl has a history of very good success everywhere he's been.  He hasn't forgotten how to coach or what got him all those wins at different places.  I remember his teams at Tennessee, but I honestly couldn't tell you what style they played or if there was some particular offense they ran.  The one thing I do remember is them being very big and athletic. I think he had some 6'9" guy named Chism or some shit that always seemed to wreak havoc in the middle. 

Say it baby say it

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #394 on: February 21, 2017, 05:15:59 PM »
Well...

Supposedly there's a push at LSU to fire their basketball coach if the Bengalis lose tonight's game to "a terrible Auburn team." 

Would that be a record if we got two LSU coaches axed in a single season?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #395 on: February 21, 2017, 09:07:37 PM »
Well...

Supposedly there's a push at LSU to fire their basketball coach if the Bengalis lose tonight's game to "a terrible Auburn team." 

Would that be a record if we got two LSU coaches axed in a single season?

Here's their chance.  Good guys hang 98 on LSWho on the road for 20+ point win.  They did what you would expect them to do against a team reeling like the Faux Tigahs.  But then, we've been a little punch drunk ourselves lately. 

Pearl's bunch can light it up big time when they're on their game.  Is it just me, or does it seem like the SEC overall is putting up some big numbers this year?  I still don't see anyone going very far.  Florida looks pretty strong.  UK is talented as always.  But the league seems to be about the same as always after that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #396 on: February 21, 2017, 09:18:36 PM »
Looking at the standings, the SEC actually has 4 teams with 20 or more wins. 

UF  23-5  13-2
UK  22-5  12-2
USCe 20-8  10-5
Arky  20-7 9-5

I'd say a couple more wins for South Cakalake and the Hogs has them dancing with good conference records.  Bama is only 16-10 but 9-5 in conference, which means they could get hot and reel off a few wins and make the dance too based on the conference record.  Our guys would have to get 3-4 wins the rest of the way and in the tourney to even sniff at 17-11 and 6-9.  Doable if you put up 90+ every night and play a tiny bit of D.  Hey, so you're saying there's a chance?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #397 on: February 22, 2017, 09:25:33 AM »
Looking at the standings, the SEC actually has 4 teams with 20 or more wins. 

UF  23-5  13-2
UK  22-5  12-2
USCe 20-8  10-5
Arky  20-7 9-5

I'd say a couple more wins for South Cakalake and the Hogs has them dancing with good conference records.  Bama is only 16-10 but 9-5 in conference, which means they could get hot and reel off a few wins and make the dance too based on the conference record.  Our guys would have to get 3-4 wins the rest of the way and in the tourney to even sniff at 17-11 and 6-9.  Doable if you put up 90+ every night and play a tiny bit of D.  Hey, so you're saying there's a chance?

Auburn MBB has its 1st winning season in 8 years starting 4 frosh and playing DI's No. 71 schedule.  ($1 to nook)

Gotta walk before you can run.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #398 on: February 22, 2017, 09:44:03 AM »
Auburn MBB has its 1st winning season in 8 years starting 4 frosh and playing DI's No. 71 schedule.  ($1 to nook)

Gotta walk before you can run.

Walking is a turnover.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #399 on: February 22, 2017, 09:56:28 AM »
Walking is a turnover.

^^This^^

Plus, if you move your feet a little faster than walking pace, you tend to play better defense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions