Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2016 AU Spring Training

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
2016 AU Spring Training
« on: March 11, 2016, 02:09:23 PM »
- On JFIII

- And certainly the RBs:

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/two-rbs-splitting-carries-at-auburn/

Two running backs splitting first-team carries at Auburn
TYLER WADDELL

The race to replace Peyton Barber is well underway at Auburn, but as of Friday, coach Gus Malzahn is taking a by-committee approach between rising senior Jovon Robinson and junior Roc Thomas.

“(Robinson) and Roc are getting a lot of carries with that first group,” Malzahn told AL.com following Thursday’s spring practice.

In 2015, Barber — who declared early for the 2016 NFL Draft — took 238 carries for 1,017 yards (4.3 ypc) and 13 touchdowns. Robinson returns after producing the team’s second-highest output of 639 yards and three scores, while Thomas added an additional 261 yards and a TD to boot.

Robinson broke out with a 27-carry, 126-yard performance against Memphis in the Birmingham Bowl and arguably has the best shot to receive the most workload this upcoming season.

“Jovon looks amazing right now,” H-back Kamryn Pettway said. “I know there are some things we all still have to work on, but he looks real good. I think the big game in the Birmingham Bowl gave him a lot of confidence and momentum going into the spring and next season.

“Roc’s looked good also,” Pettway said. “With Peyton leaving I think everybody has another step up we have to make. Roc’s looked good too.”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: 2016 AU Spring Training
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 02:12:54 PM »
In other sad news:

I keep reading that JJ is working with the ones and SW with the twos...

By God, they will make a QB out of him yet!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

djsimp

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 02:15:00 PM »
In other sad news:

I keep reading that JJ is working with the ones and SW with the twos...

By God, they will make a QB out of him yet!

Saw that too but I'm betting JFIII starts against Clemson. The coaches aren't just gonna hand over the keys so easily after last years debacle. I wouldn't think so anyway.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 02:29:04 PM »
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: QB John Franklin III has a ‘wow’ factor

This is the same guy that said JJ would start for most other SEC teams. His coach speak is tiring.  :facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 02:33:11 PM »
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: QB John Franklin III has a ‘wow’ factor

This is the same guy that said JJ would start for most other SEC teams. His coach speak is tiring.  :facepalm:
Just hush. This is a "wow" factor. JJ had the "It" factor. They are totally different. Shut your pie hole.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 02:43:01 PM »
Just hush. This is a "wow" factor. JJ had the "It" factor. They are totally different. Shut your pie hole.

JJWow?  JJIt?  JFWow?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 02:46:40 PM »
JJWow?  JJIt?  JFWow?

Jrunforhislife.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

djsimp

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 02:49:25 PM »
Wish I could find the article again, but I had read where one of the defensive guys was speaking on the energetic atmosphere. He went on to compare how much they were learning and responding much better this year versus last, without all the screaming. Sounds like a small shot fired in Muschamps direction.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 03:00:23 PM »
Wish I could find the article again, but I had read where one of the defensive guys was speaking on the energetic atmosphere. He went on to compare how much they were learning and responding much better this year versus last, without all the screaming. Sounds like a small shot fired in Muschamps direction.

I recall reading something like that too.  I imagine most of them (Defensive guys) are feeling after last season, "Well, the in-your-face, 24/7 Hulk mode didn't work. Time to have some fun". 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 04:21:43 PM »
JJWow?  JJIt?  JFWow?

JJFad sounds Supersonic
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

djsimp

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 04:40:47 PM »
I recall reading something like that too.  I imagine most of them (Defensive guys) are feeling after last season, "Well, the in-your-face, 24/7 Hulk mode didn't work. Time to have some fun".

I am hoping the term fun means blowing shit up like a mean mofo. I can't help but think that AU will have a badassery type DL for 2016.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 04:41:09 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 05:07:31 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 05:09:02 PM »
A 4.37 40 is definitely Wow.

I like how the article said "It is likely too much to ask of Franklin III to reach those heights, especially in his first season with the team."

Apparently the author didn't realize that Cam Newton & Nick Marshall were in their first season with the team when they both reached the National Championship game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 05:30:11 PM »
I don't give a frippity flip who plays QB as long as they get the job done.  If it turns out to be Clifford Franklin, then get on witcha bad ass self.  But until I see this kid hold up as an every down QB in the SEC, I'm still going to be skeptical of anyone under 175 pounds playing that position.  I'm sure he's shitchapantsfast with that JWow factor in the Spring when no one is jacking his jaw.

Here's an evaluation from Trackem' Tigers.  I realize this is just a blog but it seems to be a realistic and fair breakdown of the positives and negatives.  Although, the 6'2" 200 part made me immediately question the validity of it.  However, I've seen Franklin listed at 200 on more than one site.  Anywho....

Auburn secured the commitment of John Franklin, III on November 4th, but the number-one JUCO dual-threat quarterback won’t enroll until January, thus missing critical bowl game practices. As a dual-threat guy, could he be the answer for Auburn next season?

The 6′-2″ 200 lb. QB was second string at East Mississippi Community College where he passed for 733 yards with seven touchdowns while rushing for 451 yards and nine touchdowns.

The Lions dominated almost every opponent while averaging 57 points per game and were held under 40 points only one time. Though he is rated the No.1 JUCO dual-threat QB, there are some important bits of info that are typically left off his résumé.

His 17 TDs, while impressive, were not a factor in the Lion’s overall record. Much of his work came when the game was well decided, an important aspect no one has mentioned.

He is coached by former FSU and West Va. QB, Clint Trickett, who had this to say about Franklin: “He’s one of the faster human beings I’ve ever been around. His straight-line speed is, and I hate when people say it, but it’s almost world class… He also has one of the stronger arms I’ve ever been around. The revolutions that come off the ball when he throws are literally insane.”

That’s impressive to say the least. But let’s take our own look.

I will be referencing Franklin’s 17 minute highlight video from Hudl.  Almost every play we see has the offense in a five-wide set with the defense sending at least one linebacker on a blitz. This open formation in combination with the constant blitzes was perfect for Franklin to showcase his running ability. However, this will not happen in the SEC.

Ball security will be a major factor with Franklin. Look no further than the featured image on this post. He has zero ball security or awareness, and there isn’t a run in the highlight that doesn’t show him palming the ball away from his body. The Auburn staff will almost certainly address this habit on day one.

As Trickett pointed out, Franklin is fast, but he is not world class. It is evident in his highlights that he is shifty and has great speed, but he wasn’t the fastest player on the field. When in the open and untouched, he is lightning. When in traffic, or being unable to come out of a cut cleanly, he can be caught.

However, at the 3:15 mark of the video, one can see he has good patience as he waits for lanes to open, and then he follows his blockers. This leads to easy TDs where he is barely touched. He also has a nose for the first-down marker. On more than two occasions, he knows exactly where the sticks are, and he does just enough to get to them. An underrated aspect of his game is that he bounces outside to protect himself, although he will take hits when it’s needed.

His improvisation is very good, although at times he shows a tendency to throw across his body while fading away from the play. This can be seen in plays at the 2:05 and 5:40 mark. He has the arm strength to complete these, but it isn’t something that coaches like to see. On several occasions, he makes some “backyard football” plays where he finds the open man after scrambling. While he does keep his eyes downfield, he will not get those open looks in the SEC.

Only on one play do I see him make a checkdown to a second receiver. On one of the first plays in the video, you will actually see him miss an open secondary receiver before one of these backyard football plays. The play resulted in a first down, but he missed a touchdown.

Franklin also has a tendency to throw with his hips too open. It prohibits him from really driving the ball with his legs. However, his front foot placement is almost always on target. Slight work on his core, specifically his hips, will greatly improve his accuracy.

Franklin shows great awareness at times by stepping into the pocket and away from edge blitzes, but on some plays, he fades away from the play, relying on speed to run out of the pressure or on arm strength to throw. While this is troubling, it shows that he at least  knows what he needs to do in such situations.

Currently, Franklin has only two throws: the out and the deep pass. Both of these he does incredibly well. He struggles on timing routes such as slants. On two different plays, he waited until the receiver was out of the break and still threw it behind the player, although he can hit those windows. He has a picture perfect play at the 4:40 mark where he delivers a great window throw down the field.

This all indicates that Franklin, with some situational awareness work and slight improvement on mechanics, would be a QB with the ability to throw the ball as hard and as far as he needs. A look at a play at the 1:30 mark shows what Franklin is capable of doing. Efficient footwork, proper foot placement, snapping his hips around and keeping them closed gives him the chance to excel by making every throw in the book. There is no denying his situational awareness. He is a playmaker who has a nose for the markers.

Most everyone agrees that Auburn has to get back to the Nick Marshall-esq type of athlete who can run the zone read, be able to drive the ball down the field, and have elusiveness in the pocket in order to give WRs the chance to get open.

Is Franklin that guy?

It’s hard to tell, as this video shows him playing in garbage time against tired defenses blitzing almost 100% of the time. But, he has the arm strength that we saw from Nick Marshall. There is no place on the field where Franklin can’t deliver the ball. All things considered, his mechanics are better than Marshall’s at this point in his development, and the improvements that need to be made are easier to correct.

One thing for sure, if Auburn is to go back to the zone read, Franklin is closer to that type of QB  than either Sean White or Jeremy Johnson.
- See more at: http://trackemtigers.com/what-auburn-can-expect-from-franklin-iii-a-scouting-report/#sthash.jPyk5lSB.dpuf 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 09:41:06 AM »
Second string at juco.

:facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

djsimp

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 11:15:59 AM »
This whole setup for AU football seems strangely familiar to the 2003, 2004 seasons. Auburn was picked to do very well in 2003 but flopped. Campbell suck, lots of skill position injuries, etc. 2004 nobody was looking at Auburn, the lights magically came on for Campbell, all the skill position guys were consistent and stayed healthy. Are we in history repeat mode? I mean about it. From the QB the both OL and DL, the RBs, the new WRs to compliment the vets. While the backend of the defense is suspect, I see an interesting parallel here.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 12:09:20 PM »
This whole setup for AU football seems strangely familiar to the 2003, 2004 seasons. Auburn was picked to do very well in 2003 but flopped. Campbell suck, lots of skill position injuries, etc. 2004 nobody was looking at Auburn, the lights magically came on for Campbell, all the skill position guys were consistent and stayed healthy. Are we in history repeat mode? I mean about it. From the QB the both OL and DL, the RBs, the new WRs to compliment the vets. While the backend of the defense is suspect, I see an interesting parallel here.

If you want to keep working here, stay off the drugs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

djsimp

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 12:21:15 PM »

Well that sticky green is some good shit.

Not trying to say Auburn goes undefeated in 2016, just there are a lot of similarities as it stands with personnel and the previous seasons outcome and that seasons expectations.

If AU does go undefeated in 2017, I will drive down and in person deliver a care package just for you wes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 05:02:20 PM »

2004 was a most ripping victory
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.