Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts On RB

jmar

Re: Thoughts On RB
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2016, 09:03:03 AM »

Oh sure.  I recall the Ole Miss game when the stadium was all orange with "Auburn Rambler" t-shirts.  Tiger Rags made a fortune that week.
Are you joshin' me lawyerboy?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

auburn2eugene

• From Oneonta to the left Coast
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2016, 04:02:16 PM »
Was this by way of one Blount Countian writer standing on the Upper Deck ramp?

Well I never made it to any games with any Blount Countian (or Southern Democrat as it used to be called) writer. But i think I know who you are talking about.

All but 1 of the games I went to came via a certain photographer who has had season tickets since the 50s.

The very last game I went to,  was way back in the  2004 season against The Citadel.

Speaking of 2004, what I wouldn't give to have either of those RBs on the current roster. Not even counting the passing offense we had that season.  Jason C,  Devon A, Ben O, and my favorite player of that season Anthony Mix.

Back to RBs,  the staff really blew it with some RB recruits this season.  I'm happy to have MM as a Tiger, but seems like they must of really missed with Holyfield. Especially since his brother played for us a few years ago. Missing on all the big names relegated them to only signing MM, and going after 2 next season. The thing about that is 1 of those 2 will probably have to be a JUCO RB,  now while there is NOTHING wrong with that, it's not ideal. We MUST get off our dependency on JUCOs.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:50:40 PM by auburn2eugene »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. ~Morpheus

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2016, 09:54:31 PM »
Well We MUST get off our dependency on JUCOs.

This is a misconception that we have discussed here a time or two.

We so not get that many JUCO players. The fact that the o Es AU usually gets end up being good, well that is a testament to how well we recruit.

I have no issues with the JUCO players we continue to get!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2016, 10:04:55 PM »

We so not get that many JUCO players. The fact that the o Es AU usually gets end up being good, well that is a testament to how well we recruit.

This.  JUCO's hab been berry berry good to us.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

auburn2eugene

« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2016, 12:37:02 AM »
Like I said,  there isn't anything particularly wrong going the JUCO route. Cam, NM, Duke (even though he was a knucklehead,) Rudi,  and countless others prove you CAN  be successful using JUCO players. However like I said,  it's not ideal. And like it or not, it is NOT a misconception. We rely on JUCO players a LOT more than some, and granted not as much as some. Going the JUCO route is not how you build and sustain success. 90% of JUCO players have 2 years max in your program. Every now and then you will find the rare 3 year JUCO player. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. ~Morpheus

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2016, 01:23:48 AM »
Well I never made it to any games with any Blount Countian (or Southern Democrat as it used to be called) writer. But i think I know who you are talking about.

All but 1 of the games I went to came via a certain photographer who has had season tickets since the 50s.

The very last game I went to,  was way back in the  2004 season against The Citadel.

Speaking of 2004, what I wouldn't give to have either of those RBs on the current roster. Not even counting the passing offense we had that season.  Jason C,  Devon A, Ben O, and my favorite player of that season Anthony Mix.

Back to RBs,  the staff really blew it with some RB recruits this season.  I'm happy to have MM as a Tiger, but seems like they must of really missed with Holyfield. Especially since his brother played for us a few years ago. Missing on all the big names relegated them to only signing MM, and going after 2 next season. The thing about that is 1 of those 2 will probably have to be a JUCO RB,  now while there is NOTHING wrong with that, it's not ideal. We MUST get off our dependency on JUCOs.

You know who I speak of considering we rode in the same vehicle together.  That was yo boi
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2016, 01:43:38 AM »
Like I said,  there isn't anything particularly wrong going the JUCO route. Cam, NM, Duke (even though he was a knucklehead,) Rudi,  and countless others prove you CAN  be successful using JUCO players. However like I said,  it's not ideal. And like it or not, it is NOT a misconception. We rely on JUCO players a LOT more than some, and granted not as much as some. Going the JUCO route is not how you build and sustain success. 90% of JUCO players have 2 years max in your program. Every now and then you will find the rare 3 year JUCO player.

Countless others? Damn. You need to quit reading all.com.

Just because we have been successful with a few very good JUCO players does not mean we rely on that route too much.

Yes, we take the guys that choose us and end up having to go JUCO, but we don't field a team of JUCO players. You are misguided and have a very clouded vision of this.

Please to be naming the COUNTLESS others!

We don't get a ton of these guys but we do get some good ones. And so what if they only stay 2 years. The really good players now tend to only stay three and most of those are young and are only productive 2 out of those 3 years.
I would love to have another Fairly to step in and clean house!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:01:52 AM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2016, 06:45:50 AM »

Just because we have been successful with a few very good JUCO players does not mean we rely on that route too much.

Yes, we take the guys that choose us and end up having to go JUCO, but we don't field a team of JUCO players. You are misguided and have a very clouded vision of this.

We don't get a ton of these guys but we do get some good ones. And so what if they only stay 2 years. The really good players now tend to only stay three and most of those are young and are only productive 2 out of those 3 years.
Case in point...Peyton Barber (Rs. Soph)

Luckily we have a stud RB in Jovon Robinson.

Auburn has had some really good luck in landing great JUCOs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2016, 10:41:49 AM »

Yes we need JUCOs, quality JUCOs. We need them for the very opposite reason that Snyder (KSU) needs them. We are surrounded by elite recruiters.Nowadays you might get two years out of a kid.
Fresh out of hs might not acclimate as easily. There is always a chance of missing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2016, 02:38:55 PM »
We've only got 2 in this class so far.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

auburn2eugene

« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2016, 02:58:21 PM »

Also,  al.com is one of the only sites I DON'T read. I remember how the Bham news was just a bama publication back when I lived there. I can't imagine what it's like now...

OK this will take a minute. This is the list of JUCO transfers since Chizik was hired. 

D'Angelo Benton
Ontario McCaleb
Taikwan Paige
Nick Fairley
Eltorro Freeman
Desmond Washington
Joel Bonomolo
Brandon Mosley
Cam Newton
Cameron Artis-Payne
Ben Bradley
Devonte Danzey
Kenny Flowers
Brandon King
Nick Marshall
Xavier Dampeer
Duke Williams
Joseph Turner
Rozell Gayden
Jovon Robinson
Jason Smith
Maurice Swain
DaVonte Lambert
Devaroe Lawrence
John Franklin III
Paul James III

I could go back further, but I feel the list above makes my point.

Like I said,  there is nothing wrong going the JUCO route. It's just not how you build long term success. You must take everything into consideration, even how it effects relationships with high school coaches and how you develop the kids once they get here.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:50:13 PM by auburn2eugene »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2016, 04:58:18 PM »
Chizik was hired in 09'.  So including this year's class, which you did, that's right at 3 JUCO guys a year. (Chizad math)  Looks like Ron Jeremy recruiting to me.  Fillin' holes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2016, 07:29:37 PM »
Chizik was hired in 09'.  So including this year's class, which you did, that's right at 3 JUCO guys a year. (Chizad math)  Looks like Ron Jeremy recruiting to me.  Fillin' holes.

OMG. It's an epidemic!

Now throw out anybody originally signed or sent to JUCO by AU!

Is Hargraves a JUCO?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 07:33:50 PM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

auburn2eugene

« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2016, 10:20:23 PM »
OMG. It's an epidemic!

Now throw out anybody originally signed or sent to JUCO by AU!

Is Hargraves a JUCO?

It's not a "JUCO."  It's a prep school, but it does count against eligibility, otherwise Jovon Robinson wouldn't be considered a "JUCO" kid. We signed him out of Georgia Military College.

And you guys are missing the point. Like I have said many times,  there is nothing wrong with signing JUCO kids. Without JUCOs Fairley and Newton we are probably a .500 team in 2010. 

I will give CGM this,  he is trending down 3 last season, 2 this. Prior to this current, and the previous signing class though, it was a different story. 6 and 6 respectively the prior 2. I wonder if that was part of the issue CWM had with Auburn's recruiting?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2016, 12:12:34 AM »
It's not a "JUCO."  It's a prep school, but it does count against eligibility, otherwise Jovon Robinson wouldn't be considered a "JUCO" kid. We signed him out of Georgia Military College.

And you guys are missing the point. Like I have said many times,  there is nothing wrong with signing JUCO kids. Without JUCOs Fairley and Newton we are probably a .500 team in 2010. 

I will give CGM this,  he is trending down 3 last season, 2 this. Prior to this current, and the previous signing class though, it was a different story. 6 and 6 respectively the prior 2. I wonder if that was part of the issue CWM had with Auburn's recruiting?

Hargrave is not a JUCO so your argument to include players from there is invalid as kids were only allowed to stay one year at a prep school in order to increase grades and test scores. I am not spure if eligibility is affected since all kids from Hargrave came in as freshmen.
Georgia Military IS a liberal arts Junior College.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2016, 05:46:19 AM »
Like it has been said, most high school kids don't produce until after their first year or second season. So, choosing to sign a handful of players that have been in, basically, a farm league after their second season there and plugging them in is about the same thing...especially if they've been running in a system similar to the one they're going into. A lot of the JUCO kids signed by D1 schools would've never played a snap had they come straight out of high school.

Some, like Nick Fairley, would've been playing in a different position, again, had they been able to play straight from HS (Fairley signed with Auburn as a 3* Offensive Guard). Then you have players like Cam & Defensive Back Nick Marshall (similar deal as Fairley), they played D1 for a year before going to JUCO.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2016, 09:04:00 AM »
According to al.com all auburn recruits are either going somewhere else, considering another team or talking about what it would take to get them to flip. 

There will be no recruiting class this year.  Alabama will pick through what it wants and AU can go to the bargain bin to see what's left after the rest of the teams have chosen their players. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2016, 10:32:37 AM »
According to al.com all auburn recruits are either going somewhere else, considering another team or talking about what it would take to get them to flip. 

There will be no recruiting class this year.  Alabama will pick through what it wants and AU can go to the bargain bin to see what's left after the rest of the teams have chosen their players.

Bingo.  You can't scroll through and not find at least a couple of pieces on that very thing.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

auburn2eugene

« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2016, 11:34:25 AM »
Hargrave is not a JUCO so your argument to include players from there is invalid as kids were only allowed to stay one year at a prep school in order to increase grades and test scores. I am not spure if eligibility is affected since all kids from Hargrave came in as freshmen.
Georgia Military IS a liberal arts Junior College.

OK so I was wrong about that. And as I said,  he is trending down.  3 last season, 2 this one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2016, 12:20:16 PM »
Like it has been said, most high school kids don't produce until after their first year or second season. So, choosing to sign a handful of players that have been in, basically, a farm league after their second season there and plugging them in is about the same thing...especially if they've been running in a system similar to the one they're going into. A lot of the JUCO kids signed by D1 schools would've never played a snap had they come straight out of high school.

Some, like Nick Fairley, would've been playing in a different position, again, had they been able to play straight from HS (Fairley signed with Auburn as a 3* Offensive Guard). Then you have players like Cam & Defensive Back Nick Marshall (similar deal as Fairley), they played D1 for a year before going to JUCO.

And like I mentioned, don't count guys like Fairley as a true JUCO pickup. He was committed to AU and did not have the grades. So it's not like we randomly picked up a JUCO guy. Same with Jovon. And also with the ones we sent to Hargrave. I like the fact that AU stays with players they have to send to JUCO.

By weeding out those, AU really has not been picking up THAT many JUCO players.

It irritates me when I hear that because it just is not true.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions