Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week Concerned Family 2015

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Re: Thoughts - Week Concerned Family 2015
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2015, 10:45:09 AM »
We took out a back who was averaging over 9 yards a carry because we have confidence in both backs???? #winning
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2015, 10:54:15 AM »
Yes. But if you hold onto the ball a bit longer, they don't get the chance to put up those yards. Its a symbiotic relationship.

What does the Lion King have to do with any of this?

I think we're putting way too much stock in Malzahn having to have that true read option guy to be successful.  And I don't fault him one bit for taking JJ or Sean White.  Sean was the Elite 11 winner and JJ is/was 6'5" 240, Mr. Foosballz with sick numbers.  Nobody saw that coming with him.  And I don't think Gus ever was looking for the next Nick Marshall.  He may be now.

In addition, Gus has been doing this at the D1 level long enough now to not be "just a high school coach".

Arkansas:  Fugetaboutit.  That was all Nuttzo.  They didn't run anything that even remotely resembled what Malzahn runs.

Tulsa:  Did they have Nick Marshall?  Nope.  Did they have Cam?  Newp.  Did he ever have a read option QB?  Nada.  The QB's at Tulsa ran about 8-9 times a game and barely had 100 yard each on the season. Were they at the top of the heap in virtually every offensive category in...the...nation both years?  Ha Ha Ha...yooooouuu betcha'.

Auburn: Chris Todd?  Really?  Chris Todd?  There was no read option. The guy could barely get outside the tackle box to throw one away.  But guess what?  That bunch set several Auburn offensive records.  (At that time.  Since broken)

Then comes Cam.  Was it more of a read option?  I'd say so.  Did it look anything like what he had Marshall running?  Not to me, it didn't.  Cam was special.  He could do it all and they eventually did have him doing it all.  He'd sit in the pocket and throw.  He'd run the read.  He did a ton of just skrate up Wildcat. After Cam, Gene said slow it down.

Arkansas State: 9-3.  Ryan Aplin ran about 8 times a game.  Threw for over 3,300 yards with 24 TD's and 4 Int's.  Hardly a true read option QB.

Back To Auburn: For the first time in Malzahn's career, he has a QB whose running skills far exceed his passing ability, and Gus gears the offense to take full advantage.  Marshall was an adequate passer to start with but developed into a pretty decent all around QB by the time his career was over. 

My point to that useless diatribe was to say first off, this is why all the "experts" and fans on message boards alike said that Gus Malzahn could adjust his offense around his QB's strengths.  He's done it plenty of times in the past.  Has he had failures?  You betcher Kadril he has.  But far more successes with a variety of different styles of QB and offenses.  That's why this season or more specifically, why things like this past Saturday just bumfuzzle the shit out of me.  Saturday wasn't QB development or lack thereof.  We could have won with JJ and probably won easily. He and the whole offense were handcuffed by play calling.  Why?  What has changed?         

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2015, 10:59:53 AM »
My point to that useless diatribe was to say first off, this is why all the "experts" and fans on message boards alike said that Gus Malzahn could adjust his offense around his QB's strengths.  He's done it plenty of times in the past.  Has he had failures?  You betcher Kadril he has.  But far more successes with a variety of different styles of QB and offenses.  That's why this season or more specifically, why things like this past Saturday just bumfuzzle the shit out of me.  Saturday wasn't QB development or lack thereof.  We could have won with JJ and probably won easily. He and the whole offense were handcuffed by play calling.  Why?  What has changed?       

With ya 100% on this as is CCTAU, we have been saying it looks like he keeps pressing for a Nick Marshall style offense...Why?  We never had that till Marshall came.   Malzahn always appeared to me to be a coach who could coach an offense with the players he had.  Not one style of offense that needs a certain player.

Was it smoke an mirrors? Is it Lashlee?  From my folks Gus is the one doing the play calling.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:19:49 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2015, 11:06:50 AM »
With ya 100% on this as is CCTAU, we have been saying it looks like he keeps pressing for a Nick Marshall style offense...Why?  We never had that till Marshall came, he always appeared to me who could coach an offense with the players he had.  Not one style of offense that needs a certain player.

Was it smoke an mirrors? Is it Lashlee?  From my folks Gus is the one doing the play calling.

And while we went to a MNC game with Marshall, we also lost 7 games in those 2 years.  Granted, not really the offenses fault in most of those, but the Nick Marshall style QB and offense is not a guarantee of success...especially if the man calling the plays is suffering from cranial-rectal inversion. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2015, 11:30:25 AM »
And while we went to a MNC game with Marshall, we also lost 7 games in those 2 years.  Granted, not really the offenses fault in most of those, but the Nick Marshall style QB and offense is not a guarantee of success...especially if the man calling the plays is suffering from cranial-rectal inversion.
Very good point. We got killed at LSU that year. The only reason we ran the table the last part of the year is the newness of the mid season offense, apparently it took Gus all of fall camp and three games to figure out Nick Marshall was a better runner than thrower.
G
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 12:07:49 PM by RottenBottom »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"X's and O's they haunt Gus" - Elle King

jmar

« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2015, 12:02:40 PM »
No there is no guarantee for success with a dual threat QB. But by running the read option it removes about a third of the fucked-up plays that Gushlee could call.
Ya follow?
So if we can somehow keep progressing on defense it could very well eliminate a great deal of pain and suffering. We treat the symptoms. The cure is too steep and even then there are no guarantees.
But hey, it's basketball season and once we develop some chemistry we might make a little noise.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2015, 12:39:08 PM »

I think 2014 was where Gus went all stupid. Instead of staying with what got us there the year before, it was as if he was going to prove to the world that NM was a passing QB. 2014, if ran just like 2013, could have been off the rails. But we got caught up in the passing game too much at times. NM did not run with the same authority. And did not seem to read the option at all some games. It was odd.

But we have seen in the past that Gus can pattern to O around the talent. Yet this season, we tried to do the same stuff that we did with NM, but without NM.

Is it like a new teacher that works hard in those first year to establish a curriculum and then just teaches that same curriculum for years?

I absolutely love the five yard out we used to throw. Over and over. Then when the DB bit, out and up for the win. With NMs rifle, that should have been a staple. But we NEVER threw it.

With JJ and SW, that should be a staple. I have yet to see it. Its as if CGM has forgotten anything before NM.

So that makes me wonder if its CGM or CRL?

Either way, CGM best figure it out or he's done for. He should go back and watch film of his previous seasons while OC and see what has changed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2015, 12:50:29 PM »
What does the Lion King have to do with any of this?

I think we're putting way too much stock in Malzahn having to have that true read option guy to be successful.  And I don't fault him one bit for taking JJ or Sean White.  Sean was the Elite 11 winner and JJ is/was 6'5" 240, Mr. Foosballz with sick numbers.  Nobody saw that coming with him.  And I don't think Gus ever was looking for the next Nick Marshall.  He may be now.

In addition, Gus has been doing this at the D1 level long enough now to not be "just a high school coach".

Arkansas:  Fugetaboutit.  That was all Nuttzo.  They didn't run anything that even remotely resembled what Malzahn runs.

Tulsa:  Did they have Nick Marshall?  Nope.  Did they have Cam?  Newp.  Did he ever have a read option QB?  Nada.  The QB's at Tulsa ran about 8-9 times a game and barely had 100 yard each on the season. Were they at the top of the heap in virtually every offensive category in...the...nation both years?  Ha Ha Ha...yooooouuu betcha'.

Auburn: Chris Todd?  Really?  Chris Todd?  There was no read option. The guy could barely get outside the tackle box to throw one away.  But guess what?  That bunch set several Auburn offensive records.  (At that time.  Since broken)

Then comes Cam.  Was it more of a read option?  I'd say so.  Did it look anything like what he had Marshall running?  Not to me, it didn't.  Cam was special.  He could do it all and they eventually did have him doing it all.  He'd sit in the pocket and throw.  He'd run the read.  He did a ton of just skrate up Wildcat. After Cam, Gene said slow it down.

Arkansas State: 9-3.  Ryan Aplin ran about 8 times a game.  Threw for over 3,300 yards with 24 TD's and 4 Int's.  Hardly a true read option QB.

Back To Auburn: For the first time in Malzahn's career, he has a QB whose running skills far exceed his passing ability, and Gus gears the offense to take full advantage.  Marshall was an adequate passer to start with but developed into a pretty decent all around QB by the time his career was over. 

What were the records of those teams that didnt have a dual threat vs the ones of those teams that did? I'll hang up and lissen. Although NM had an 8 win season last year, only 1 of those losses was on the O (UGA). The rest of those teams with traditional non running Qbs were 6-9 win teams. NM and Cam ran offenses had much higher ceilings and were more dynamic.

Point being....he will have winning seasons with traditional QBs. Mitch Cumstain, Paul Smith, Appling, Todd, Trotter, even White/JJ. But when we have a real dual threat, his teams really do special things. Which is what the expectation was this year.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 12:53:32 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2015, 01:35:08 PM »
What were the records of those teams that didnt have a dual threat vs the ones of those teams that did? I'll hang up and lissen. Although NM had an 8 win season last year, only 1 of those losses was on the O (UGA). The rest of those teams with traditional non running Qbs were 6-9 win teams. NM and Cam ran offenses had much higher ceilings and were more dynamic.

Point being....he will have winning seasons with traditional QBs. Mitch Cumstain, Paul Smith, Appling, Todd, Trotter, even White/JJ. But when we have a real dual threat, his teams really do special things. Which is what the expectation was this year.

Still lissenin?  Tulsa won 10 in 2007.  Tulsa won 11 in 2008.  Arky State won 9 in 2012. 

One of the years with our duel threat QBs....we had Super Freakin Man at the helm.  Hell, he is undefeated this year in Shula's system.  We were 20 and 7 under Marshall with several of those wins being miracle finishes.  Not saying we didn't have some potent offenses under Marshall but they weren't  the crowning achievement in Malzahns career. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2015, 02:03:16 PM »
Question: Does anyone on this board know for a fact that Lashlee is unpopular among the other coaches?
Have heard varying opinions.
Beyond regarding Lashlee like a little brother it looks as if Gus feels as if he's irreplaceable, leaning on him heavily.
Maybe he's the stand-in, confidant, sounding board, personal assistant, dinner guest or whatever...maybe he even holds Gus together while he does all of that wonderful non- coaching stuff a guy in his position must do. It's a stressful job I would imagine.

Just saying but if the AD had provided w/o interfering before thinking as we all did, that Gus would turn it around; it's likely as it so happens for HC's in a skid at other programs for changes to be made, maybe even the toughest decision Gus has ever had to make. And as far as I am aware Gus hasn't ever experienced losing like this before and I'm sure his confidence is shaken, much like Jeremy Johnson's. So I'm just kicking it around and wondered if any of you had thought this could become a problem or even a solution.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2015, 02:20:52 PM »
Question: Does anyone on this board know for a fact that Lashlee is unpopular among the other coaches?
Beyond regarding Lashlee like a little brother it looks as if Gus feels as if he's irreplaceable, leaning on him heavily.
Maybe he's the stand-in, confidant, sounding board, personal assistant, dinner guest or whatever...maybe he even holds Gus together while he does all of that wonderful non- coaching stuff a guy in his position must do. It's a stressful job I would imagine.

Just saying but if the AD had provided w/o interfering before thinking as we all did, that Gus would turn it around; it's likely as it so happens for HC's in a skid at other programs for changes to be made, maybe even the toughest decision Gus has ever had to make. And as far as I am aware Gus hasn't ever experienced losing like this before and I'm sure his confidence is shaken, much like Jeremy Johnson's. So I'm just kicking it around and wondered if any of you had thought this could become a problem or even a solution.

No idea.  I just don't know that firing Lashlee accomplishes anything IMO.  Other than like some have said, sake for the sake of change.   

Would Gus bring in an actual OC and let him run the offense or would he meddle?  To me Lashlee is Steve Spurrier, Jr.  Everyone knows the OBC is the one calling the plays.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2015, 02:40:40 PM »

I hear the players LOVE Lash. They think CGM is a weird ass dude.

But I'm not sure what the other coaches think. It is clear that the players play their asses off.

Maybe this season is exactly what it looks like, an anomaly.

Who knows? We do know he has one more season to fix it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2015, 03:13:08 PM »
Still lissenin?  Tulsa won 10 in 2007.  Tulsa won 11 in 2008.  Arky State won 9 in 2012. 

One of the years with our duel threat QBs....we had Super Freakin Man at the helm.  Hell, he is undefeated this year in Shula's system.  We were 20 and 7 under Marshall with several of those wins being miracle finishes.  Not saying we didn't have some potent offenses under Marshall but they weren't  the crowning achievement in Malzahns career.

Lissen here Flex. Wait...what was I gonna say?

Oh yeah... just sayin on average his teams have won more games on average with that type of QB is all. Teams without one tend to be more hit and miss, in that 6-10 average. With? 8, 12, 14.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 03:17:01 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2015, 03:17:32 PM »
I hear the players LOVE Lash. They think CGM is a weird ass dude.

But I'm not sure what the other coaches think. It is clear that the players play their asses off.

Maybe this season is exactly what it looks like, an anomaly.

Who knows? We do know he has one more season to fix it.

Like jmar said, "werd" has been that DC and TRob do not like teh Lash.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2015, 03:20:24 PM »
Lissen here Flex. Wait...what was I gonna say?

Oh yeah... just sayin on average his teams have won more games on average with that type of QB is all. Teams without one tend to be more hit and miss, in that 6-10 average. With? 8, 12, 14.

I will punch you in the forehead...hard.

Then start my WOD with a set of squat thruster burpee kip ups while eating a protein bar.  Bro!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2015, 03:37:05 PM »
I will punch you in the forehead...hard.

Then start my WOD with a set of squat thruster burpee kip ups while eating a protein bar.  Bro!

Lets start out with 14 stompee jazzles, then we will segway into a Blackadakka Roundabout Suicide Circleplex Circuit for 6 rounds. After that we will cool down with some Eggbeater Hoppy Hop Skips x10! Protein Smoothies to follow....BRO!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 03:39:36 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2015, 04:48:04 PM »
Lets start out with 14 stompee jazzles, then we will segway into a Blackadakka Roundabout Suicide Circleplex Circuit for 6 rounds. After that we will cool down with some Eggbeater Hoppy Hop Skips x10! Protein Smoothies to follow....BRO!

Did em' all on one leg while texting three different hot chicks, bro!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2015, 05:26:12 PM »
You spelled dual wrong, dipshit. This is not a fencing match we are discussing.

On guard!

It's the QB.

Cam Newton and Barrett Trotter were dueling for the #1 spot....but Trotter was no threat.  Hence, duel threat.

Boom.  That just happened.  Who has egg on their face now? 

Drops mic
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2015, 05:48:23 PM »
Cam Newton and Barrett Trotter were dueling for the #1 spot....but Trotter was no threat.  Hence, duel threat.

Drops mic

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2015, 06:45:44 PM »

Drops mic
Haha
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.