Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week 1

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Thoughts - Week 1
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 08:20:52 AM »
  I know it was the call, but JJ has to check down when he sees that many dbs with his receiver.

I believe it was the second int where Davis was running what appeared to be a post, but turned it into a comeback.  The DB should have kept going, not seeing the receiver stop behind him...but he didn't, and Johnson threw it right into his hands.

This...all of it. Simply put. JJ simply made bad decisions with his progressions. Nevermind the fact that options 1 and 2 were DEEP (which wasnt necessary that early), he should have checked out of those and took the underneaths or safe short stuff. At worst, throw it away OR take off for a 1-3 yard gain. Its stuff that is correctable. He was trying to do too much. And to a lesser degree, our coaches were trying to do too much too early. The first drive was a thing of beauty. Good mix of runs, short/medium passes, keepers, etc. Every series should have been played out like that. Its our MO....we tried to be Fun n Gun and it showed.

Just like we can't give JJ the Heisman based off his past numbers as a backup, we also can't declare him Chris Todd or Barrett Trotter based off 3 INTs. Slow your rolls...its one game. If this happens the next 5 games, then yes pitchforks will be polished and at the ready. Until then, give the guy more than 1 game before you lead him to the gallows.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:22:24 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 09:26:11 AM »
This...all of it. Simply put. JJ simply made bad decisions with his progressions. Nevermind the fact that options 1 and 2 were DEEP (which wasnt necessary that early), he should have checked out of those and took the underneaths or safe short stuff. At worst, throw it away OR take off for a 1-3 yard gain. Its stuff that is correctable. He was trying to do too much. And to a lesser degree, our coaches were trying to do too much too early. The first drive was a thing of beauty. Good mix of runs, short/medium passes, keepers, etc. Every series should have been played out like that. Its our MO....we tried to be Fun n Gun and it showed.

Just like we can't give JJ the Heisman based off his past numbers as a backup, we also can't declare him Chris Todd or Barrett Trotter based off 3 INTs. Slow your rolls...its one game. If this happens the next 5 games, then yes pitchforks will be polished and at the ready. Until then, give the guy more than 1 game before you lead him to the gallows.

But.. But... But... OMG!!! We will have to play against DERRICK FUCKING CAVEMAN HENRY in November!!!!!

Whatever shall we do?

:taunt:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 09:31:30 AM »
But.. But... But... OMG!!! We will have to play against DERRICK FUCKING CAVEMAN HENRY in November!!!!!

Whatever shall we do?

:taunt:
Derrick Henry is ranked eighteenth in the AP College Football Poll.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 09:36:52 AM »
Had some shitty Louisville fans sitting behind us who were mouthy as fuck to have never done anything.  I held my tongue for the most part until the end when the fucker kept telling me how "ugly of win it was" to which I replied that "it beats the fuck out of a pretty loss". 

Fuck them.

As far as I am concerned we learned some things about ourselves and still got a win out of it.  No blood no foul thus far.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 09:36:57 AM »
Derrick Henry is ranked eighteenth in the AP College Football Poll.

Wrong thread, fucko
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 09:39:30 AM »
Wrong thread, fucko
It would've been much more polite of you to have left the fucko part off.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2015, 09:39:43 AM »
..., we also can't declare him Chris Todd or Barrett Trotter based off 3 INTs. Slow your rolls...its one game. If this happens the next 5 games, then yes pitchforks will be polished and at the ready. Until then, give the guy more than 1 game before you lead him to the gallows.

I'll take Chris Todd numbers every day. Well, his senior season anyway.

Like I said somewhere, this was greedy play calling. I really expected to see a game plan similar to what we saw against Arky last season.  What i saw was the same plan we had for NM, but without JJ running. Having JJ opens up the whole field, yet we still are not using any crossing routes.

JJ's short game looked pretty crisp. If you eat a team up with the short game, you get a few of those open long passes.

The good s that we still had a few of those open long passes and looked pretty damn good at it. So what people saw Saturday is definitely fixable. Take away the three INTs and it was a damn good opening act.

But don't be bussing on Chris todd....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2015, 10:55:41 AM »

Like I said somewhere, this was greedy play calling. I really expected to see a game plan similar to what we saw against Arky last season.  What i saw was the same plan we had for NM, but without JJ running. Having JJ opens up the whole field, yet we still are not using any crossing routes.

JJ's short game looked pretty crisp. If you eat a team up with the short game, you get a few of those open long passes.

The good s that we still had a few of those open long passes and looked pretty damn good at it. So what people saw Saturday is definitely fixable. Take away the three INTs and it was a damn good opening act.

Greedy Play calling? I've seen this posted and I be like  :facepalm:. Are there not usually 3 options/checkdowns for the QB to make on most pass plays? Those are usually, short, intermediate and long or some combination thereof. So, I just don't get the play calling mantra. In other words, just because the QB throws it deep into triple coverage doesn't mean that's what the corch called.

Yes, he has the option to go deep but he's gotta make better decisions regardless of the play call. I'll bet the house Gus/Lash ain't telling him: "chunk the shit our of it no matter how many guys are around him".

I'm just not buying the play calling as an excuse for the interceptions. And you didn't specifically say that but I don't think they are necessarily "greedy" either. Maybe JJ was greedy.

Now, Gus may be stingy with the playbook as he has a tendency to be this early in the season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2015, 11:08:22 AM »

I'm a Todd fan. He had shoulder problems during his jr. season. Would prefer to see JJ run when its neceaary of when the field opens up. We might get quire a number of close calls as in 2010 as we progress. Might need some more controlled passing to supplement the ground game but winning is what's important.Final score or style points not a big deal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2015, 11:12:06 AM »
Auburn

- I was wrong in my guarantees thread about Jeremy Johnson. I expected a sluggish start: one that would not make him look like a Heisman contender and one that would cause the most cynical of Auburn fans to question his ability to start. Instead, Johnson's performance was rather abysmal if I'm honest. 

- I'm finally getting to the point where I feel like I can see the trends in football. After 13 years of watching not just Auburn football but mostly all of college football, I've learned that if a team or player looks a certain way, they mostly likely are that way. While I'm not going to hitch a ride on the doom and gloom train, I do think it's safe for me to say that Jeremy Johnson is going to be a hindrance to this team.

- He threw three horrific interceptions and nearly a fourth that may have put the game in jeopardy. Even some of his completions and good plays were clunky, such as the wheel route to Barber. He lacked a good rhythm and sometimes looked downright lost out there. That's not to say that he's Kiehl Frazier Part 2, and while I do think he will improve as I said in the guarantees thread, I don't think he will be anywhere near on the level of Newton or Marshall. Chris Todd, maybe. Trotter/Moseley, perhaps in a worst case scenario.

- But to those who think this was just first game jitters, I can't say I agree. Bad play calling? No. Being in Atlanta and the quality of the opponent? Don't think so. Too many examples over the last 13 years of players starting a certain way and finishing that way.

- But there are a LOT of positives about this team, at least based on the first game. Defense looked a lot better, especially with Lawson and Mathews out there (We ask for healing, Jesus. We ask for healing). Even though the 2nd half was questionable, I do credit that freshman quarterback from Louisville. Once he got comfortable in his legs, he was by far the most gifted athlete on the field. Our defense had a few good plays where their offense was stifled, but the QB just juked around and turned it into something positive.

- Open field tackling for the most part was much better than I've seen in a long time. The defensive line was disruptive. The secondary seemed to be in better position. I don't think they hit any deep balls on us. I think the defense wore out in the 2nd half primarily because our offense put them in a tight spot with the turnovers.

- Speaking of disruptive defensive lines, the refs were atrocious in this game. For one, did they really call a penalty on one of our coaches for cussing? Do they think this is pee wee football? Two, we had what, four holding calls on our offense? I watched our defensive line continuously blow threw the line of scrimmage only to have a gloved fist drag a wad of jersey. If the refs are going to be flag happy with the holding, they could at least call the game fairly.

- Running game looked like it usually does in the 1st game. Barber was impressive as a "get 5-6 yards" back, but I'm not sure I saw much big play potential. Roc Thomas's spin move is going to get him killed one day. Hopefully his injury heals up quickly so he can get back out by the 19th.

- All in all, I saw the potential for a 9 win team. If Johnson can cut out the mistakes, maybe we can make a run. I have to remind myself though that 2010 and 2013 both started out slowly. We were struggling with a .500 Clemson team in 2010. Won 31-24 against Washington State with a rather lackluster game from Marshall in 2013. If Johnson had the legs of Newton and Marshall, I'd be less worried. Right now, I'm thinking Malzahn is in the film room thinking of ways to mask Johnson's weaknesses, which isn't a good thing to have in your quarterback.

Agree with all for the most part.  Again, my "didn't see much encouraging" comment was a short (but still accurate as to my thoughts) comment on what I personally observed.  You seem to have seen it the way I did.  JJ will not even challenge for the Hypeman.  As a team it's not "sky falling" but it's not a championship level start either.  Whether JJ can become a QB that "just doesn't get us beat", or not remains to be seen.  We turn the ball over 3 times vs LSU and the like, we'll get hammered.  On that note, I fully believe that Gus wanted to be a little more dropback pass oriented this year.  I want to believe in him and Lashlee to get the ship righted by  "reverting" to what he's done in the past, and what I think I noticed in the second half.  More gap/power run schemes, with PAP and less complicated reads/progressions.  Our RBs were a bright spot.  Maybe sprinkle more option run game for JJ who I think is more than athletic enough to provide something teams have to prepare for in a running QB. 

Defense?  Looked improved, but how could they look anything but?  Still not, from what I saw, going to take games over but they are capable of making some plays and getting some stops.  DL is pretty damn good but Lawson out creates a big dropoff.   

I had heard about JJ being a Hypeman contender in some folk's predictions, and I told my friend right before the game that was a bad omen.  After Game 1, it seems I was right.  Those blaming anything other horrifically poor decisions by JJ are willfully blind.  Can he get better?  Sure.  I think he's talented and smart.  Were the bad decisions something that will haunt him, or does he forget easily?  Is he prone to learn from his mistakes or repeat them?  We will see.

I didn't see much encouraging.  I didn't see the sky falling either.  With what would be to my mind, normal improvement for a team starting this way, this is a 9 win team.  They could do worse with some bad breaks, injuries, team dissent or apathy.  Could it go like 2013 and be a surprise?  It could do that too.  I doubt it.  (I doubted in 13 too, so I'm sticking with my doubts in the hope of being wrong again)   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2015, 11:21:02 AM »

Time to bring back the wraparound draw.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2015, 11:23:35 AM »
Time to bring back the wraparound draw.
He definitely had elife ball faking skilz.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2015, 11:34:23 AM »
He definitely had elife ball faking skilz.
Yes. I personally think that he was an overall elife QB.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2015, 11:39:09 AM »
Yes. I personally think that he was an overall elife QB.
I mix in some gaelic just to keep things lose.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2015, 11:40:16 AM »
I'm staying on the JJ bandwagon.  May just be me and his family members but I'm gonna' ride it out.  Correct the mistakes.  Bring him along a little slower and I think the kid will wind up setting records. Hopefully not for most interceptions.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2015, 11:45:27 AM »
I'm staying on the JJ bandwagon.  May just be me and his family members but I'm gonna' ride it out.  Correct the mistakes.  Bring him along a little slower and I think the kid will wind up setting records. Hopefully not for most interceptions.
Do you have a bandwagon schedule to share?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2015, 11:50:52 AM »
Rock me mama like a wagon wheel.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2015, 11:55:22 AM »
I'm with you Snags, jesus christ we are own worst enemy.  Like CCTAU said can't believe we lost the game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2015, 11:55:51 AM »
Do you have a bandwagon schedule to share?

Next ride is Saturday September 12th at 11:00 a.m.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2015, 11:58:52 AM »
Next ride is Saturday September 12th at 11:00 a.m.

Can't make that one, I think there is a kick-off then. Wonder what two douches the SEC network will have doing the game?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'