Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week 1

Thoughts - Week 1
« on: September 07, 2015, 09:20:57 AM »
Auburn

- I was wrong in my guarantees thread about Jeremy Johnson. I expected a sluggish start: one that would not make him look like a Heisman contender and one that would cause the most cynical of Auburn fans to question his ability to start. Instead, Johnson's performance was rather abysmal if I'm honest. 

- I'm finally getting to the point where I feel like I can see the trends in football. After 13 years of watching not just Auburn football but mostly all of college football, I've learned that if a team or player looks a certain way, they mostly likely are that way. While I'm not going to hitch a ride on the doom and gloom train, I do think it's safe for me to say that Jeremy Johnson is going to be a hindrance to this team.

- He threw three horrific interceptions and nearly a fourth that may have put the game in jeopardy. Even some of his completions and good plays were clunky, such as the wheel route to Barber. He lacked a good rhythm and sometimes looked downright lost out there. That's not to say that he's Kiehl Frazier Part 2, and while I do think he will improve as I said in the guarantees thread, I don't think he will be anywhere near on the level of Newton or Marshall. Chris Todd, maybe. Trotter/Moseley, perhaps in a worst case scenario.

- But to those who think this was just first game jitters, I can't say I agree. Bad play calling? No. Being in Atlanta and the quality of the opponent? Don't think so. Too many examples over the last 13 years of players starting a certain way and finishing that way.

- But there are a LOT of positives about this team, at least based on the first game. Defense looked a lot better, especially with Lawson and Mathews out there (We ask for healing, Jesus. We ask for healing). Even though the 2nd half was questionable, I do credit that freshman quarterback from Louisville. Once he got comfortable in his legs, he was by far the most gifted athlete on the field. Our defense had a few good plays where their offense was stifled, but the QB just juked around and turned it into something positive.

- Open field tackling for the most part was much better than I've seen in a long time. The defensive line was disruptive. The secondary seemed to be in better position. I don't think they hit any deep balls on us. I think the defense wore out in the 2nd half primarily because our offense put them in a tight spot with the turnovers.

- Speaking of disruptive defensive lines, the refs were atrocious in this game. For one, did they really call a penalty on one of our coaches for cussing? Do they think this is pee wee football? Two, we had what, four holding calls on our offense? I watched our defensive line continuously blow threw the line of scrimmage only to have a gloved fist drag a wad of jersey. If the refs are going to be flag happy with the holding, they could at least call the game fairly.

- Running game looked like it usually does in the 1st game. Barber was impressive as a "get 5-6 yards" back, but I'm not sure I saw much big play potential. Roc Thomas's spin move is going to get him killed one day. Hopefully his injury heals up quickly so he can get back out by the 19th.

- All in all, I saw the potential for a 9 win team. If Johnson can cut out the mistakes, maybe we can make a run. I have to remind myself though that 2010 and 2013 both started out slowly. We were struggling with a .500 Clemson team in 2010. Won 31-24 against Washington State with a rather lackluster game from Marshall in 2013. If Johnson had the legs of Newton and Marshall, I'd be less worried. Right now, I'm thinking Malzahn is in the film room thinking of ways to mask Johnson's weaknesses, which isn't a good thing to have in your quarterback.

Other Teams

- I've gotta be honest, I'm getting old. I've noticed it the past few seasons - I just don't care as much about other teams. Once the Auburn game was over and some plans with friends fell through, I asked my wife if she wanted to go out on a date since we were with my parents who could babysit. We went to a nice little restaurant in Homewood, went for a walk, and then drove around just talking. A few years ago, I would have been glued to the TV wanting to see Alabama lose. I broke out of that habit this weekend.

- I did get to see a little bit though:

- South Carolina looked rather atrocious Thursday night. I was happy to see North Carolina's defense show some life. As much as I hate Gene Chizik for the clusterfuck that was Auburn football in 2012 (something that I think is still being fixed three seasons later), I can't help but have a soft heart for the coach that weathered a tremendous media assault before hoisting the BCS national championship trophy. 

- I did see a few series of the Alabama-Wisconsin game, but they were in the third quarter. Was I right in hearing that Coker is the starter? Bateman looked really good from what I saw. They looked like a typically Alabama team. Strong offensive line, muscle-freaked running backs, and some good receivers. Defense was smothering an overmatched and worn out opponent.

- And that was it. I am excited about this season, I am. But I think (hopefully) I'll just focus on Auburn this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Thoughts - Week 1
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 10:10:30 AM »
Not ready to read anything into JJ's performance other than he had a bad game.  As for a player looking a certain way, the fact is we have a bigger sampling of his work and abilities than just this one game.  And he's never remotely shown tendencies to make those ill-advised throws. I trust that Malzahn/Lashlee will get that corrected and look in the mirror themselves with regard to play calling. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 10:21:48 AM »
I'm over my psychotic episode from our rough start kicking off the JJ era. Blamed the receivers coach and thought about taking hostages only to discover that I was home alone. And since I had drank one or two  :rolleyes: had the presence of mind to resist leaving the house to collect some (hostages) knowing better than to get behind the wheel of a vehicle under the influence.Besides, I can't think of one bonafied receiver's coach to use as an example as to why our guys don't ball like Rice or Warfield.

We are all aware though that many college and nearly all NFL HOF QB's had forgettable multi-pick games, some with even rougher starts than Jeremy.

Brady comes to mind as recent as last season.
Most would agree the Pat's had an okay finish. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 12:10:44 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 11:42:06 AM »
Gotta agree with Snags on JJ's performance. One game doesn't really give us much to go on the same way his half at Arkansas did.  To me it seemed to be more of a case of him trying to hard to make plays. He got caught in his own preseason hype.  It happens sometimes, time will tell.

I know you said it wasn't the play calling and maybe it wasn't maybe it was more on Jeremy not making his check downs. However to me it seemed like we were running plays for Nick Marshall. Run on first and second if it's 3rd and 8 lets chuck it down field as far as we can. Well what happened to just trying to get the 8 yards? Like CCTAU said in the other thread where were the slants?, the crossing routes?, hell where were the TE's? All the impressive short throws Jeremy showed us in the Arkansas half last year?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 01:23:10 PM »
In my humble opinion, two of JJs interceptions were a result of Grantham knowing Gus' tendencies.  One of those two was still a terrible decision by JJ; however.  The long int was a typical Gus tendency.  Run, run, bubble screen (maybe), run, run, run, play action post route.  You could tell they were ready, because they had 4 guys running with Louis on that play.  I know it was the call, but JJ has to check down when he sees that many dbs with his receiver.
I believe it was the second int where Davis was running what appeared to be a post, but turned it into a comeback.  The DB should have kept going, not seeing the receiver stop behind him...but he didn't, and Johnson threw it right into his hands.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 01:50:28 PM »
In my humble opinion, two of JJs interceptions were a result of Grantham knowing Gus' tendencies.  One of those two was still a terrible decision by JJ; however.  The long int was a typical Gus tendency.  Run, run, bubble screen (maybe), run, run, run, play action post route.  You could tell they were ready, because they had 4 guys running with Louis on that play.  I know it was the call, but JJ has to check down when he sees that many dbs with his receiver.
I believe it was the second int where Davis was running what appeared to be a post, but turned it into a comeback.  The DB should have kept going, not seeing the receiver stop behind him...but he didn't, and Johnson threw it right into his hands.

Not when it's ex-Georgia DB's running with Ricardo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 01:56:13 PM »
Agree. We seldom were able to get wide and everything tended to get funneled up the middle.
And even though we had 24 on them early, Grantham never relented from his plan. We WILL see this strategy again and it will be interesting seeing how we attack it. #keythesafety
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 02:30:57 PM »
...could tell know it was the call, but JJ has to check down when he sees that many dbs with his receiver.

On many of the deeper pass attempts, I didn't see a checkdown receiver to go to. There are fixable problems on offense, but my long term concern is how in the Hell is our D going to stop Henry come November? Is LSU going to be a big problem seeing that even the SEC refs  are sympathic to the home team (esp the bammers) with respect to calling holding penalties on AU to suffocate sustained drives. Most folks just hate us and we seem to be playing against the refs every fucking game?  Or, are we just guilty of all of the bad calls made at the most inopportune times? This kind of shit has been going on for years now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 04:54:57 PM »
On many of the deeper pass attempts, I didn't see a checkdown receiver to go to. There are fixable problems on offense, but my long term concern is how in the Hell is our D going to stop Henry come November? Is LSU going to be a big problem seeing that even the SEC refs  are sympathic to the home team (esp the bammers) with respect to calling holding penalties on AU to suffocate sustained drives. Most folks just hate us and we seem to be playing against the refs every fucking game?  Or, are we just guilty of all of the bad calls made at the most inopportune times? This kind of shit has been going on for years now.
Have to keep hands inside. When they go on the extremities you are targeted. Or you can just yank the guy down which is essentially what Coleman did on one call. Still far better than what he did last season which was to just tackle them. I like to think the refs are above board and rarely get excited unless it's a potential game decider as when Murray came up short on a run against us in 2013. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 06:32:24 PM »
I sure wish we woulda won...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

jmar

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 06:43:22 PM »
I sure wish we woulda won...
Yeah we had 'em right where we wanted 'em, and we let 'em get away.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 07:24:36 PM »
When you guys decide whether to blame the best play caller in the country, the potential record setting QB, the WR's, loss of our RB's or Bilderbergs; let me know.

I'm old fashioned I guess. I tend to blame a 3 interception game mostly on the guy who threw them, barring tipped balls or above normal pressure from the D.

Regardless, I would like to make a motion that posters have to be above last place in the BFTC standings in order to weigh in on the debate. I feel that it is a waste of my subscription fees to pay for the data storage for the person in last place to opine on the issue.

If I am out of line on this, mods please delete this post. It's just my opinion and I will not bring it up again if the majority sees it differently.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

jmar

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 07:36:31 PM »
When you guys decide whether to blame the best play caller in the country, the potential record setting QB, the WR's, loss of our RB's or Bilderbergs; let me know.

I'm old fashioned I guess. I tend to blame a 3 interception game mostly on the guy who threw them, barring tipped balls or above normal pressure from the D.

Regardless, I would like to make a motion that posters have to be above last place in the BFTC standings in order to weigh in on the debate. I feel that it is a waste of my subscription fees to pay for the data storage for the person in last place to opine on the issue.

If I am out of line on this, mods please delete this post. It's just my opinion and I will not bring it up again if the majority sees it differently.
Not concerned with the picks so much as long as they don't lead to quick points. My concern is durability at RB position. Long season, need two healthy to keep from being forced into poor play calling/ decision making.JMO
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 08:05:58 PM »

You're out of line. I pay the premium rate and I can post whatever I wish whether I bother to play or not.
In accordance with my premium status I hereby post my requests of and recommendations to the coaching staff, as I know they read this board religiously.
1: Do not panic, the sky is not falling. Auburn has the talent and the coaching to win.
2: I need a complete injury update, yesterday.
3: as mentioned here previously, the offensive tendencies (especially the immediate return after a successful run) have been noted and are being preyed upon; fear not, for all you have to do is counter that tendency about half the time from here on out and defenses will be in even more disarray.
4: How about next game we all act like the mortals we are and slowly work up to JJs potential. Let him get hot we know he can.
5: hurry up no huddle has become dither around and grind out the clock. Most of the time bama's offense seemed to be working faster than ours. Auburn fast, remember? Let's try that again.
6: when you have the opponent on the ropes and are smoking him with the run it proves more to me any everyone else that you continue to run successfully than an interception on a bomb. 
7: my fiancé requests that someone get coach Boom a nicer fucking shirt
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
totally unreasonable

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 08:47:04 PM »
3 turnovers, a couple of drive killing penalties, injuries to our two top RBs, starting DE & Safety and still come out with a win against a quality opponent...I'm happy.

Just get Johnson's head screwed back on and maybe change up the order of the 7-8 offensive plays...you know, to keep the DC guessing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 12:22:17 AM »
3 turnovers, a couple of drive killing penalties, injuries to our two top RBs, starting DE & Safety and still come out with a win against a quality opponent...I'm happy.

Just get Johnson's head screwed back on and maybe change up the order of the 7-8 offensive plays...you know, to keep the DC guessing.
We might should open up the playbook to 11 plays?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

jmar

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 04:43:51 AM »
We might should open up the playbook to 11 plays?
Now,now we shant confuse the lads.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 07:36:05 AM »
Also, have a SEC Special Teams player of the Week Daniel Carlson...and set a Auburn record for the longest returned fumble for a TD by Justin Garrett. Not bad for the first game of the season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 07:42:53 AM »
Also, have a SEC Special Teams player of the Week Daniel Carlson...and set a Auburn record for the longest returned fumble for a TD by Justin Garrett. Not bad for the first game of the season.
Welcome. Look forward to seeing you post often. How did you hear about the x?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

jmar

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 08:10:22 AM »
Welcome. Look forward to seeing you post often. How did you hear about the x?
IDK but the guy seems well organized, thoughtful and shows attention to detail. That Danzey to left guard comment just blew me away. He's just a breath of fresh air.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions