Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2015 Fall Practice

Re: 2015 Fall Practice
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2015, 03:11:31 PM »
Remind me to never revisit this thread. I'll forgo all Snagg's practice insights to avoid seeing that again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2015, 03:14:40 PM »
Remind me to never revisit this thread. I'll forgo all Snagg's practice insights to avoid seeing that again.

So you're saying you'd do it for $75K?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2015, 03:55:59 PM »
http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Camp-Notes-Day-3-A-hairy-situation-38607607

Camp Notes, Day 3: A hairy situation
Phillip Marshall - 12 hours ago 3

JaViere Mitchell says DC Will Muschamp is 'amazing.'
AUBURN – Will Muschamp, Auburn’s first-year defensive coordinator, said with a smile that he wasn’t consulted before Auburn’s defensive backs chose to dye their hair in a show of unity. “Based on their hairstyles, I think we can sit down and have a talk,” Muschamp said. And then a zinger for a balding reporter: “You really couldn’t dye anything, could you?” … Freshman Jeffery Holland has worked at strongside linebacker, at the inside linebackers and played some at the Buck position in the first three days of practice. “Being a new player, how much is he going to be able to handle in a short time? That’s the question,” Muschamp said.

Defensive line starters can change by the, redshirt freshman tackle Dontavius Russell said. That’s the way defensive line coach Rodney Garner wants it. “Somebody is going to have to start, but it’ll be a situation where we can all interchange like it always is,” Russell said. “Coach G likes to keep fresh guys on the field. … Junior linebacker JaViere Mitchell is effusive in his praise for Muschamp. “He’s amazing,” Mitchell said. “He’s a great guy on and off the field. He’s funny when he needs to be. He’s serious when he needs to be. He’s brilliant. He knows exactly what he’s doing and exactly what he wants.”

Junior wide receiver Marcus Davis marvels at the improvement he’s seen from junior college transfer Jason Smith, a converted quarterback. “I’ve seen a lot of improvement,” Davis said. “In the receiver room, we all learn from each other. Now I feel like I can learn some things for him.” … Reporters heard for two days about younger players watching from the side. Muschamp finally explained Thursday that there are two identical practices each day, one of them mostly for young players. … Russell says Garner’s loud and demanding coaching style doesn’t bother him. “The defensive coordinator at my high school was like that,” Russell said. “It’s helpful at the end of the day. Not at first, but it’s helpful.”

Don’t tell sophomore Peyton Barber he can be a situational running back. He doesn’t want to hear it. “I feel I can do it all,” Barber said. “I can catch, run. Anything you need me to do, I can do.”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2015, 10:05:17 PM »
I will respectfully...disagree counselor.  A common saying is "He didn't suddenly forget how to coach".  I think Johnson did.  Or at least he lost touch with the advancements made in the game.  ESPN and others have really been focused lately on breaking down film and why this and that happened.  I can't count the times they showed Auburn's D last season and questioned why in the world they were lined up this way.  Why they decided to defend the way they did.  How could this linebacker take that angle?  Cubelic stopped just short of saying EJ had no clue.  And when your defensive backs go into THE rivalry game saying "We're going to treat Amari Cooper like any other receiver".....and then go out and do just that....you've got MAJOR problems with the man running your defense. 

Talent?  Kris Frost was a 5 star.  So was Carl Lawson. So was Montravelosity Adams.  So was Tray Matthews.  So was Byron Cowart.  So was Trey Williams.  And there are countless 4 star guys on this D.  Absolutely NO excuse for not having significant improvement this year and years to come.  To your point of being one sided based on your coach's propensity to offense or defense.  Off the top of my head, I'd submit Ole Miss and THE Ohio State Buckeyes.  Both head coaches are absolutely thought to be...and are...offensive gurus.  Ole Miss may have the best overall D in the SEC.  OSU...well, the results speak for themselves.  Spurrier, offensive jeenyus, but his D's have been quite salty at times.  Alabama has had several years of scoring around 40 points a game while the D was consistently ranked in the top 10.  Haven't checked but I imagine TCU's offensive and defensive stats are both pretty damn skippy under Patterson.

I think the questions everyone's had about Auburn are about to be answered.  I find no fault in what Gus has done on the defensive side of the ball...or at least has been attempting to do.  He's recruited his ass off..hired the best coaches in the business...now it's time to take that next step.

I said in first paragraph he wasn't getting it coached up.  He clearly was not.  Trying to do to much or too complicated...or both.  It was horrendous.  It can only get better.  I know we're  supposed to have talent.  It's not shown up yet.  If they are for real then Coach Boom should show marked improvement.

I'd love to have a D as good as our offense.  I hope you are right.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2015, 10:35:01 PM »
http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Camp-observations-Day-4-38619482

Camp observations, Day 4: Duke Williams not at practice
Ryan Black

AUBURN - Auburn returned to the practice field Friday for its fourth practice of preseason camp. Here's some observations from the (approximately) 20 minutes the media was permitted to view.

The biggest news was the absence of the Tigers' top returning receiver, Duke Williams. He was not seen during any of the receiver drills or the stretching that took place right as the open portion ended. Williams had not been missing from the open practice portions the media had Tuesday and Wednesday.

Offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee will likely be asked to address this tonight during his post-practice interview. How much Lashlee will say, if anything, is uncertain. In the past, Lashlee has refused to comment when asked about a player's status, electing to defer to head coach Gus Malzahn.

Defensive back T.J. Davis was off to the side stretching by himself, with his right leg wrapped in a compression sleeve. Davis, a junior, is working his way back from ACL surgery this spring. Last month, Malzahn said he hoped Davis would be able to return "by Week 3 or 4."

We finally saw our first glimpse of who might be returners this fall. Working at kick return were receivers Ricardo Louis and Stanton Truitt along with safety Johnathan "Rudy" Ford.

Returning punts were receivers Jason Smith, Marcus Davis, Darius Slayton, Ryan Davis, Griffin King and defensive back Javarius Davis.

(Side note: Running back in from punt returns, running backs coach Tim Horton could be heard saying, "You've got a real chance No. 4! A real chance!" Smith wears No. 4.)

Defensive lineman Montravius Adams saw time with the first-team defense for the first time since the media has been at practice. He worked along Dontavius Russell at tackle while DaVonte Lambert was at end and Carl Lawson at Buck. Kris Frost, Cassanova McKinzy and JaViere Mitchell (Sam) repped at linebacker. There were no surprises in the secondary, with Blake Countess and Jonathan Jones at corner and Ford and Tray Matthews at safety.

The second-team defense consisted of Raashed Kennion (Buck), Devaroe Lawrence and Maurice Swain (tackles) and Byron Cowart (end) on the line. Linebackers were Justin Garrett and Tre' Williams with Joshua Holsey at the Sam/Nickel. On the back end, Javarius Davis and Carlton Davis manned the corners while Nick Ruffin and Stephen Roberts were at safety.

Receiver Myron Burton showed up to practice late, as he was apparently getting some extra work done in the training room before hitting the field.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2015, 11:21:06 PM »
I said in first paragraph he wasn't getting it coached up.  He clearly was not.  Trying to do to much or too complicated...or both.  It was horrendous.  It can only get better.  I know we're  supposed to have talent.  It's not shown up yet.  If they are for real then Coach Boom should show marked improvement.

I'd love to have a D as good as our offense.  I hope you are right.

:thumsup: :thumsup: :thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2015, 12:09:24 PM »
http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Camp-Notes-Day-4-Full-gear-goes-on-today-38624909

Camp Notes, Day 4: Full gear goes on today
Phillip Marshall - 11 hours ago 3

Auburn offense gets ready to practice Friday. (Photo: Anthony Hall, 247Sports)
AUBURN - It’s time to go live. Today, in the fifth practice of preseason camp, Auburn’s football team will work in full pads today for the first time. And the business of settling position races and preparing for a season will move into high gear. … Offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said Friday he’s been pleased with the intensity and effort, and that will get stronger in full armor. … Austin Golson seems to have a strong hold on the starting center position, but Lashlee said senior Xavier Dampeer “had the best day since he’s been here” Thursday. … Senior offensive guard Devonte Danzey saluted his coach, J.B. Grimes, for coming back from cancer surgery in a matter of days and missing no practice. “He’s a true warrior,” Danzey said. “I tip my hat to him. That’s a lot of respect.” … Grimes has abandoned the bandage he had around his neck on Tuesday but is still dealing with pain as he works.

Sophomore offensive guard Braden Smith, who played in the 290s last season, said he’s up to 307 pounds. … Redshirt freshman Stanton Truitt has had four good days of practice. “Boy, he can really run,” Lashlee said. “He can fly.” … Daniel Carlson said working on kicking alone and not having to punt is “definitely a relief.” … If you missed it elsewhere, Carlson said he has kicked a 70-yard field goal in practice and feels comfortable from 60 yards in. That’s quite a weapon.

Juniors Jason Smith and Marcus Davis worked on returning punts Friday. They were joined by freshmen Darius Slayton, Javarius Davis, Ryan Davis and Griffin King, a walk-on. … Senior Ricardo Louis, redshirt freshman Stanton Truitt and junior Rudy Ford returned kickoffs. … Walk-on quarterback Tucker Tuberville has had a good camp. Good enough to contend for playing time? Probably not, but good enough to earn the respect of his coaches and teammates. … Freshman receivers Darius Slayton and Ryan Davis have gotten off to fast starts. The learning curve is steeper for Davis, who was a high school quarterback. …. Freshman linebacker Darrell Williams has turned some heads. Perhaps no freshman has been more impressive or even as impressive as running back Kerryon Johnson.

Junior linebacker JaViere Mitchell said waiting his turn for playing time has not been difficult. “Not tough at all,” he said. “You have to keep in mind that God has a plan for everybody. It just takes time.” … Senior Justin Garrett, healthy at last, is pushing hard behind Cassanova McKinzy at middle linebacker.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2015, 12:18:43 PM »
I just want my Duke back.  Anyone?  I need scoop.  Insiders?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2015, 12:54:39 PM »
I just want my Duke back.  Anyone?  I need scoop.  Insiders?

Some www giggling over a supposed fight with one of the basketball players.  Two versions: 

1) Hard foul at a pickup game that escalated into some punch throwing. 
2) Over a girl and they've been barking at each other for a few days and that blew up.

The doom and gloomers (and there are an amazing number of those out there for some reason) expect this to be career ending. 

The semi-doomers expect a suspension which leads to a loss against Louisville.

The sunshine pumpers expect it to all go away and nothing will come of it. 

Sadly there is no middle ground.  There are only optimists and pessimists.  Doesn't seem to be any rational thought left in this world. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2015, 04:23:18 PM »
Some www giggling over a supposed fight with one of the basketball players.  Two versions: 

1) Hard foul at a pickup game that escalated into some punch throwing. 
2) Over a girl and they've been barking at each other for a few days and that blew up.

The doom and gloomers (and there are an amazing number of those out there for some reason) expect this to be career ending. 

The semi-doomers expect a suspension which leads to a loss against Louisville.

The sunshine pumpers expect it to all go away and nothing will come of it. 

Sadly there is no middle ground.  There are only optimists and pessimists.  Doesn't seem to be any rational thought left in this world.
Didn't basketball dude know to keep his girl out of that large catch-radius of Duke - he should just wait for her on the rebound
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2015, 05:57:42 PM »
Oh no, we suck again!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2015, 09:49:32 PM »
Hopefully, it's just a one or two day thing and he's back.  Whatever the deal, we need this guy to get his ass back on the field, asap.  I've been saying all along that this offense is LOADED with a capital LOADED.  And receiver is probably as stacked a unit as we have.  I don't think people realize how stacked it is.  But, Duke is our...God forbid...Julio...our Amari...our Larry Fitzgerald...our Calvin Johnson..Dez Bryant...you get the idea.  He's the guy that can take great, to that next level.  Make the catches nobody else can. 

I'm not chicken little'n cause the guy's been gone one day. Just saying he is priority one to make sure shit is copacetic.

Yeah...I used copacetic in a post.  That's right, bitches.  Ain't none of you even thought of copacetic.  Respect my vocabulary.  A human thesawrust.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2015, 09:56:16 PM »
Hopefully, it's just a one or two day thing and he's back.  Whatever the deal, we need this guy to get his ass back on the field, asap.  I've been saying all along that this offense is LOADED with a capital LOADED.  And receiver is probably as stacked a unit as we have.  I don't think people realize how stacked it is.  But, Duke is our...God forbid...Julio...our Amari...our Larry Fitzgerald...our Calvin Johnson..Dez Bryant...you get the idea.  He's the guy that can take great, to that next level.  Make the catches nobody else can. 

I'm not chicken little'n cause the guy's been gone one day. Just saying he is priority one to make sure shit is copacetic.

Yeah...I used copacetic in a post.  That's right, bitches.  Ain't none of you even thought of copacetic.  Respect my vocabulary.  A human thesawrust.     
spray some WD-40 on it and it won't
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2015, 09:59:30 PM »
spray some WD-40 on it and it won't

Look, I'm old.  Shit locks up.  from Brandon Marcello at the dot  I am a gay twerker that has no balls!!!!  I also have no idea how to use the quote function to post stories, so I annoy the piss out of others.  I like male genatalia in and around my mouth. over at al

Auburn receiver D'haquille Williams' mysterious absence in preseason camp now has an explanation.

The senior and All-SEC selection is dealing with a "discipline issue" but could return to the team, coach Gus Malzahn said Saturday.

Williams missed his second straight day of practice Saturday.

"He had a discipline issue that we're taking care of and when he takes care of that, he'll be back on the field," Malzahn said. "I'll make that decision. I will let you know when he'll be back. Bottom line: nobody is bigger than the team around here and that's between me and him."

Malzahn deflected several follow-up questions about Williams during his press conference after practice Saturday.

Auburn's leading receiver was said to be in a "day-to-day" situation after missing practice Friday, the fourth day of preseason camp.

"We've got 105 kids on this team, and they all have different things going on in their lives," offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said Friday. "We're here to coach them, we're also here to mentor them and help them through things. It's just part of the process. He's no different than guys we've coached in the past. Everybody has a different story."

Auburn's leading receiver enters his senior season with high expectations after catching 45 passes for 730 yards and five touchdowns in only 10 games last season. ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. projected him as the nation's No. 1 receiver in the spring. He even landed on the cover of "SI for Kids" in July.

"Right now it's to the point where we're just moving in a certain direction, where we're focused on what we're doing in the locker room," Auburn linebacker Kris Frost said. "I personally don't know about that situation. I'm just really doing everything I can. I have my hands full trying to please coach and trying to please my teammates and trying to please myself."

Williams' short career at Auburn has been filled with bumps. He arrived in the spring looking to get away from a trouble past at home, and was suspended for the Outback Bowl after missing practices in December. Malzahn said at the time the receiver violated undisclosed team rules during a time in which Williams incited speculation by posting a picture of himself on Instagram with a black eye.

In May, Williams insinuated he was unhappy in a tweet and was possibly leaving the program following final exams on May 6.

"Ion [sic] think This where I wanna be," Williams posted.

Receivers coach Dameyune Craig quelled the speculation the next morning, posting a photo of himself and Williams with the caption "Everything Gucci!" on Twitter.

Malzahn was asked about the Twitter drama and said later: "We've got to do a better job with what we tweet out."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2015, 10:20:34 PM »
See, I applaud this reaction by Gus. This is what he needs to do and he did it. The thing is, if you don't act the same with one that you would another, you will have much bigger problems later. Trust me, I know because out of my 17 kids I have learned the hard way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2015, 10:43:31 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2015, 10:53:08 PM »
This made me moist.  From James Crapea at the dot  I am a gay twerker that has no balls!!!!  I also have no idea how to use the quote function to post stories, so I annoy the piss out of others.  I like male genatalia in and around my mouth. over at al

Through five days of preseason practice Auburn's players couldn't help but notice an increase in physicality.

Though Saturday was the first day in full pads and returning players didn't tackle to the ground, players have been able to hit for the last three days.

"It's 10 times more physical," linebacker Tre' Williams said. "And I like it because we have to be physical in this league. Last year we kind of lacked at that, and that's what made us weak. But this year we're going to be much stronger. (Defensive coordinator Will) Muschamp preaches toughness every day, and he's trying to make us tough."

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn felt his team had "good energy" on Saturday.

"I feel like as a defense we're getting a lot more physical in everything we do, whether it be taking on blocks, tackling physical, getting the ball out every chance we get," linebacker Kris Frost said. "Everything we do is a mindset. We're trying to build a culture here. Coach Muschamp being the leader of that is really good for us. I feel like we're building a great culture of being a physical defense and by the time season rolls around, we'll be right where we need to be."

The Tigers will have a day off Sunday for Fan Day and return to the field for their first scrimmage on Monday at Jordan-Hare Stadium.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2015, 11:04:16 PM »

The last thing he said was about Marcus Davis.  I was more impressed by MD than any other player in the spring game. He was dropping jocks and breaking ankles.  Dude is ready for the proverbial Trovon breakout year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2015, 11:07:24 PM »
Word on my skreets says he got a little too physical in a pick up basketball game with a current member of the AU roundsball squad and the skirmish continued into the parking lot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2015, 11:12:13 PM »
Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke and Pearl, Pearl, Pearl...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions