Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2015 Fall Practice

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
2015 Fall Practice
« on: August 04, 2015, 10:40:58 PM »
So, to piggyback the hype wes started, here is some day 1 notes.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/notes-auburns-first-day-practice/

Gus Malzahn spoke to the media following Auburn’s first day of fall practice today. Here are a few tidbits and notes from the day:

New Auburn safety Tray Matthews missed the opening day of practice. Malzahn said it was for “personal reasons” and that he will be back tomorrow (Wednesday).

Assistant coach J.B. Grimes attended practice today despite having cancer surgery just last week. Malzahn said that “J.B. is probably the toughest coach in college football.”

DE Carl Lawson had his first “full-go” practice with the team since tearing his ACL during the spring of 2014.

On the topic of Jeremy Johnson and the hype that has surrounded him this offseason, Malzahn emphasized that the team and players “have to earn everything we get. Preseason hype means absolutely nothing.”

Malzahn noted that the team doesn’t need extra locker room material for motivation entering the season. He added that “8-5 is enough to motivate our guys.”

No captains have been selected yet for Auburn. Selections will be made closer to the week 1 game.

New Auburn DE Byron Cowart looked the part of the nation’s top recruit during his first practice.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Preseason-camp-observations-Day-1-38558299

AUBURN - Auburn returned to the practice field Tuesday for its first practice of preseason camp. Here's some observations from the 20 minutes (give or take) the media

Offensive line coach J.B. Grimes was out at practice with a cloth bandage around the right side of his neck. Grimes had surgery last week to remove a cancerous spot on his tongue and lymph nodes on the right side of his neck. Grimes told the athletics department website he's "cancer-free" and "good to go" for the coming season.

Safety Tray Matthews was not seen practicing Tuesday. No word why the defensive MVP of the A-Day was absent.

With Matthews out, Nick Ruffin took his place. The rest of the first-team defense consisted of safety ]b\Rudy[/b] Ford, corners Joshua Holsey and Jonathan Jones, linebackers Kris Frost and Cassanova McKinzy and a defensive line of Carl Lawson and DaVonte Lambert at end while Maurice Swain and Dontavius Russell were at tackle. Blake Countess and Cameron Toney switched off at the Sam/Nickel.

Roc Thomas and Jovon Robinson split the reps with the first-team offense during drills, receiving the handoffs from Jeremy Johnson. That left Peyton Barber to work with the second-team and backup quarterback Sean White.

When the Tigers began their "pace" drills -- with them lining up and running a play as quickly as possible -- Thomas was the only one to receive first-team reps before media members were asked to leave.

No news to report on special teams, as the Tigers didn't hold any drills with kick or punt return in the first 20 minutes of Tuesday's session.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:09:22 PM by djsimp »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bgreene

Re: 2015 Fall Practice
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 02:09:35 AM »

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 02:13:18 AM by bgreene »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Men are made stronger on the realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."

-Sidney Phillips

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 12:38:45 PM »
Tray needs to get back on the field pronto...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 12:41:23 PM »
Tray needs to get back on the field pronto...
#makeawish
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 12:56:48 PM »
Heard Cole Cubelic breaking down AU on Finedong yesterday.  He must have come on here and read my takes because it was like I wrote it....and then he went on air and said it.  Srsly, it was all about the D for him.  If Muschamp gets the D going, we win the SEC.  If not, we're 8-5 again.  He believes we're loaded on offense and JJ will light it up.  One tidbit of teh trivias that was a little unsettling.  He said we haven't won in Baton Rude since he smoked a cigar on the field in 99'. 

I know that means nothing but that's an early game that could be pivotal.  Cubelic said though, he believes LSU will continue to be down and getting them early is the best possible thing with them being so unsettled at QB.

Oh...and on the D...he seemed to indicate without coming out and saying it, that Ellis Johnson was ignernt.  Always lined up wrong.  Wrong schemes, wrong coverages, horrible technique.  That makes me happy. If that was truly the problem, and it seemed to be to my untrained eye, that shit is fixable.   
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 12:59:39 PM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 03:53:32 PM »
Heard Cole Cubelic breaking down AU on Finedong yesterday.  He must have come on here and read my takes because it was like I wrote it....and then he went on air and said it.  Srsly, it was all about the D for him.  If Muschamp gets the D going, we win the SEC.  If not, we're 8-5 again.  He believes we're loaded on offense and JJ will light it up.  One tidbit of teh trivias that was a little unsettling.  He said we haven't won in Baton Rude since he smoked a cigar on the field in 99'. 

I know that means nothing but that's an early game that could be pivotal.  Cubelic said though, he believes LSU will continue to be down and getting them early is the best possible thing with them being so unsettled at QB.

Oh...and on the D...he seemed to indicate without coming out and saying it, that Ellis Johnson was ignernt.  Always lined up wrong.  Wrong schemes, wrong coverages, horrible technique.  That makes me happy. If that was truly the problem, and it seemed to be to my untrained eye, that shit is fixable.

All we can do is hope Cubelic is right about the Ellis Johnson dealio. Although, a combination of common sense and the proof in history tells me Muschamp will make a HUGE difference in the way Auburns defense performs this year.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 04:12:21 PM »
All we can do is hope Cubelic is right about the Ellis Johnson dealio. Although, a combination of common sense and the proof in history tells me Muschamp will make a HUGE difference in the way Auburns defense performs this year.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

A&M scores 21 on the mighty war hawks

A&M scores 41 on us.

I am pretty sure he is right. I haven't heard of many folks knocking on his door recently. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 04:34:37 PM »

This ain't the purdicktion thread but I'll say it right now, I expect us to be in the playoff this year. We have a lot in our favor, offense is loaded & defense has the talent, schedule sets up nice.  I will be disappointed with anything less this year. (outside of injuries)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 04:43:03 PM »
This ain't the purrichardtion thread but I'll say it right now, I expect us to be in the playoff this year. We have a lot in our favor, offense is loaded & defense has the talent, schedule sets up nice.  I will be disappointed with anything less this year. (outside of injuries)

FORMAT GAWLDANG FORMAT NOT DOING IT RIGHT GALDANG BUNCH A MJOO UPSETTERS
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

djsimp

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 04:49:13 PM »
This ain't the purdicktion thread but I'll say it right now, I expect us to be in the playoff this year. We have a lot in our favor, offense is loaded & defense has the talent, schedule sets up nice.  I will be disappointed with anything less this year. (outside of injuries)

I think there is a high percentage of Auburn fans that think the same. The difference this year is that there is a solid confidence in what Auburn will do whereas in the past there has been that small feeling that Auburn will not live up to their potential. Still, you don't see/hear Auburn fans boasting. The quiet confidence is enjoyable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 05:35:25 PM »
Day 2

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Camp-observations-Day-2-38578822

Camp observations, Day 2

Ryan Black

AUBURN - Auburn returned to the practice field Wednesday for its second practice of preseason camp. Here's some observations from the 20 minutes (more or less) the media was permitted to view.

Coach Gus Malzahn wasn't lying Tuesday when he said safety Tray Matthews would return for Day 2 of preseason camp. Matthews was back working with the first-team defense at his normal safety spot alongside Johnathan "Rudy" Ford.

Senior quarterback-turned-receiver Jonathan Wallace didn't have his helmet on nor participate in any drills during the open viewing portion of practice. Wallace didn't have a brace on or walk with a limp. Malzahn will likely be asked about Wallace's status this evening.

Offensive line coach J.B. Grimes' voice was better Wednesday. It wasn't quite back to full song yet, but it was noticeably better than Tuesday, when he didn't speak above a whisper. Grimes had a cancerous spot on his tongue and lymph nodes on the right side of his neck removed last Wednesday.

Defensive lineman Montravius Adams worked with the second-team defense for the second straight day. Meanwhile, Justin Garrett, Cameron Toney and Tre Williams had some reps with the first-team unit.

Roc Thomas, Jovon Robinson and Peyton Barber alternated equally between the first- and second-team offenses during handoff drills. Tuesday, Thomas and Robinson took the majority of reps with the first-team offense while media members were present.

Legendary Auburn coach Pat Dye attended practice and made it a point to talk to the Tigers' freshmen who were standing off to the side.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 07:52:31 AM »
I don't have any doubts about our offense though some have pointed to the receiver position opposite Duke as a sore spot. It's not!
Someone name me a team that stockpiles receivers like Auburn...it's part of the reason we are so thin at defensive tackle. Doesn't help we lose one per year prematurely to the next league.
The one area on offense that stood in our way last season was getting stalled in the redzone and settling for FGs. But I think we have the ingredients with good hands at RB and FB along with a QB with better touch and accuracy than most of us can remember at Auburn. Just needs to demonstrate it when counts and get some wins under his belt.

Cubelic and more importantantly Snags have identified our problem area.
We have to stop-up our middle better than the mix and match efforts up front of Ellis Johnson. That might mean putting our two best at the same position early on in order to keep the quality up at one tackle while the other spot allows the inexperienced to catch up. Fucking Tennessee has more going for it inside than we do at this point. WE LACK TACKLES.[/i] The good news is we can turn up the pressure with our ends where E.J. struggled. Just my opinion but I can't lay the blame solely at his feet for getting gouged by that ironhead at MSU and later on by every Georgia back.
We effectively started the legend of Dak Prescott by sucking so miserably on defense, and it followed us throughout the year even though our offense was able (for the most part) to mask our most glaring weakness. I'm ok with our back seven at this point even with the spot opposite Jones at corner because the rest of that crew will make you pay. We are going to get burned some along with some contact penalties but I'm excited to see how we play in the secondary under new leadership.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 09:12:32 AM »
I'm ok with our back seven at this point even with the spot opposite Jones at corner because the rest of that crew will make you pay. We are going to get burned some along with some contact penalties but I'm excited to see how we play in the secondary under new leadership.     

I'm not concerned with the starting CB opposite Jones.  It'll likely be Countess, prior All Big X player.  Not short of experience.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 09:40:42 AM »
So, maybe I've tried to stir up some shit a time or two on here. So, sue me. But I promise I'm not trying this time although it will seem like it.

There are so many predicting "Champyunship!" on here and even in the media that it concerns me.

Not that I'm concerned about a jinx or bad luck. I just think the expectations are too high.

Remember: 8-5 last year and lost 4 of last 5.

Had to score 50 most weeks to have a shot.

Muschamp can't play DT. Slow your roll. Could we? Yes. Should we? No. And I'm glad to see Montrae Adams is rolling with the 2 stringers till he starts playing like a 1. It's where he should've been last year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 09:42:24 AM »
I'm not concerned with the starting CB opposite Jones.  It'll likely be Countess, prior All Big X player.  Not short of experience.
Secondary was one of my biggest concerns however with the addition of the Count and Tray I actually think it might be one of our strongest positions.  We are just thin behind the starters.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 09:51:34 AM »
So, maybe I've tried to stir up some shit a time or two on here. So, sue me. But I promise I'm not trying this time although it will seem like it.

There are so many predicting "Champyunship!" on here and even in the media that it concerns me.

Not that I'm concerned about a jinx or bad luck. I just think the expectations are too high.

Muschamp can't play DT. Slow your roll. Could we? Yes. Should we? No. And I'm glad to see Montrae Adams is rolling with the 2 stringers till he starts playing like a 1. It's where he should've been last year.

Muschamp doesn't just bring feisty attitude to the coaching staff.  His scheme is demonstrably different than EJ's 4-2-5.  I expect enough improvement so that we don't have to score 50+ to win.  We'll score that much just for shits and giggles this season.

Secondary was one of my biggest concerns however with the addition of the Count and Tray I actually think it might be one of our strongest positions.  We are just thin behind the starters.

Agree on depth.  Not worried at all about the starters, though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 09:55:38 AM »

Here, have a Snickers.  You're such a whiney little bitch when you're hungry.

The thing about champyunships is not only do you have to be really good, but you also have to stay relatively injury free (as GF mentioned), you have to have pretty much everything go right and you have to be really lucky somewhere along the way....like a tipped pass and a team ahead of you losing their conference championship game. A lot of shit has to go your way.

I won't be disappointed if we don't win it all as long as we're in the conversation right down to the wire.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 09:56:53 AM »
Muschamp doesn't just bring feisty attitude to the coaching staff.  His scheme is demonstrably different than EJ's 4-2-5.  I expect enough improvement so that we don't have to score 50+ to win.  We'll score that much just for shits and giggles this season.

Agree on depth.  Not worried at all about the starters, though.

Demonstrably?  Gawd, I get so horny when you talk like that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 09:57:08 AM »
Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn and select players addressed the media this evening following their second practice of fall camp Wednesday.

Check out what they had to say in our updates below, which were posted live.

GUS MALZAHN

*** Malzahn says the older guys "responded to the challenge" today, which was encouraging. Young guys are still learning.

*** Malzahn says there are no disciplinary issues with sophomore CB Stephen Roberts, who was spotted off the practice field for the second consecutive day.

*** Michigan transfer Blake Countess catches on quickly and Malzahn says he can tell he's a "veteran guy."

*** Running backs will get "somewhat equal reps" in scrimmages and Malzahn is hoping to have a pecking order going into the season. He says freshman Kerryon Johnson is a "talented guy."

*** Rudy Ford, who went from running back to safety, is becoming a veteran player. Malzahn says Travaris Robinson has a lot of confidence in him. Says Ford could return kicks this fall.

*** On Alex Kozan: "We expect him to come back and be as good as he's been, if not better."

*** Malzahn says there's a "good chance we'll go live" in reps on punt and kick returns. Other than Ford, Malzahn is looking at Roc Thomas, Ricard Louis, Kerryon Johnson, Jason Smith, Stanton Truitt and others.

*** Freshmen WRs Ryan Davis and Darius Slayton are getting 1-on-1 time and Malzahn says they are talented, but he's eager to see them in pads.

ALEX KOZAN

*** Says it "feels great" to get back and get after it with his teammates. Missed it last year.

*** Kozan says he's geling well with Austin Golson, they just need more reps together.

*** His surgery clipped away his herniated disc, and he needed about three more months for his nerves to heal.

*** Says by the time he plays Louisville he'll be "firing at 100 percent"

*** When asked about leadership on the line: "We're trying to establish that... All the guys on the line are older players and we all need to be leaders. I'm trying to take on a leadership role now that Reese (Dismukes) is gone."

*** Kozan says Shon Coleman is "way bigger and stronger" and is more focused on every aspect of his game. "He's taking football very seriously."

*** On his interactions with fans: "I'm a lineman -- I get a War Eagle or two every other day. It's not bad for me -- it's the guys who carry the ball who have to bat them away."

BLAKE COUNTESS

*** Former Michigan player transferred to Auburn because it was a "perfect fit." Bonded with the players on the team during his visit.

*** Countess says he did not have to try out to stay at Michigan.

*** Auburn coaches were straight forward and told him there "wasn't a guy who stood out" in the secondary before he came in.

*** On his transition: "The defense I ran this spring at Michigan is the same defense I'm running here."

*** On Muschamp: "Very intense. He really wants the best for his guys and he's not going to settle. That's what you want."

*** Countess says the heat, tempo and strength program are among the biggest differences between Auburn and Michigan.

*** Countess was welcomed in by his new teammates. "Everybody's been very accepting." He met current teammate Kris Frost in high school, and says Joshua Holsey reached out to him before his visit. "Little things like that gave Auburn an advantage."

*** Didn't know much about Auburn coming in, but says "it's a special place."

SHON COLEMAN

*** Says OL coach J.B. Grimes, who is recovering from cancer surgery, "Has been great. "We don't want to make him mad and stress him out."

*** Coleman feels more comfortable in his game and has focused on adjusting to the speed of the game and being confident.

*** On leadership: "It's kind of like a democracy." Hasn't seen a clear leader, but expects one to come through during camp.

*** Coleman believes Kozan can bounce back from his injury to his 2013 form.

JOSHUA HOLSEY

*** On recruiting Blake Countess to the Plains: "I pretty much told him he needed to come to Auburn." He's now looking forward to competing with his new teammate. "He kind of knows the game and has been in those big situations and moments. In crunch time I know he won't fold or be nervous. For me, it's really fun."

*** On going through different coaches at Auburn: "You learn something different from each experience. Brian Van Gorder was a "great guy" who taught him the X's and O's.

*** When asked about the defensive backs dying their hair, Holsey says it was a trend started by TJ Davis. "We just wanted to do a little different to stand out."

*** Holsey says the secondary is getting closer. "We all have a same common goal. We have a group chat together, we talk every day. You want to be able to trust the person next to you." Says Travaris Robinson made it a point to emphasize bonding.

*** Holsey says Countess is quiet and has his own style. "You can tell he's an up-North guy, but he plays like one of us already. It's hard to explain... Blake is a great guy and I'm glad he came here."

*** On his interactions with fans -- The most common question he hears is "How is Muschamp?" His answer: "Intense." :boom:

RUDY FORD

*** On the secondary: "We're all brothers."

*** Ford says he's ready to become a leader and "everything's been a blessing."

*** Could he still play running back in an emergency situation? "I could, but I've been focusing on being one of the best DBs in the country."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 09:58:43 AM »
Demonstrably?  Gawd, I get so horny when you talk like that.
Believe me. It's all thesaurus. And a touch of the gay.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com