Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2015 Fall Practice

jmar

Re: 2015 Fall Practice
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 10:03:46 AM »
As much as I love Muschamp the results on D were not glowing in every game for Florida. How much of that was the inept offense is anyone's guess.

So now we are all at the mercy of WT's overconfidence meter for the obligatory I told you so.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 10:08:17 AM »
So, maybe I've tried to stir up some shit a time or two on here. So, sue me. But I promise I'm not trying this time although it will seem like it.

There are so many predicting "Champyunship!" on here and even in the media that it concerns me.

Not that I'm concerned about a jinx or bad luck. I just think the expectations are too high.

Remember: 8-5 last year and lost 4 of last 5.

Had to score 50 most weeks to have a shot.

Muschamp can't play DT. Slow your roll. Could we? Yes. Should we? No. And I'm glad to see Montrae Adams is rolling with the 2 stringers till he starts playing like a 1. It's where he should've been last year.

I'm not predicting championship, I am predicting SEC Championship and a spot in the playoffs and I will be disappointed if we don't make it to the SEC Championship game.  I get what you are saying, but that was a different team with a different group of players.  We actually have more talent coming back this year, some of from injuries and some from transfers.  Think about it though.  Kozan, Lawson, Matthews, Countess.  Those are top SEC/BIG10 players that were missing last year.  Add to the fact the I think Jeremy is a better QB than Nick.  Don't get me wrong Nick was awesome, but he didn't play last year the same way he played the year before.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 10:08:51 AM »
As much as I love Muschamp the results on D were not glowing in every game for Florida. How much of that was the inept offense is anyone's guess.

So now we are all at the mercy of WT's overconfidence meter for the obligatory I told you so.
He was also a head coach not the Defensive Coordinator.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 10:46:56 AM »

I think we all know that WT has too much class and diplomacy to ever shove an "I told you so" into anyone's face.

I'm admittedly playing both sides of this debate because I honestly believe we can end up in the playoff and/or win it all. I just simply believe that we shouldn't. Yes, 2010. Yes, new year this year. I get it.

We shouldn't. We are coming off some of the worst years of defense at AU that I've witnessed and Muschamp has his work cut out for him. I'm not sold that our front is solid. I'm aware of the players coming back, etc.--so spare me that. I will be sold when I see sacks and third down run stops for a loss and holding opponents to less than 21 in the first half.

We should be a 9-10 win team. And I agree that the potential for even better is there.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 10:49:00 AM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 10:51:48 AM »
I think we all know that WT has too much class and diplomacy to ever shove an "I told you so" into anyone's face.

I'm admittedly playing both sides of this debate because I honestly believe we can end up in the playoff and/or win it all. I just simply believe that we shouldn't. Yes, 2010. Yes, new year this year. I get it.

We shouldn't. We are coming off some of the worst years of defense at AU that I've witnessed and Muschamp has his work cut out for him. I'm not sold that our front is solid. I'm aware of the players coming back, etc.--so spare me that. I will be sold when I see sacks and third down run stops for a loss and holding opponents to less than 21 in the first half.

We should be a 9-10 win team. And I agree that the potential for even better is there.

Good morning Debbie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2015, 10:55:33 AM »
He was also a head coach not the Defensive Coordinator.

I'm thinking the same. It would seem that his focus being on defense now, he will be able to get back to what made him so highly touted as an assistant coach. I for one am looking forward to that and the fire he brings to the sidelines.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 11:01:01 AM »
I'm thinking the same. It would seem that his focus being on defense now, he will be able to get back to what made him so highly touted as an assistant coach. I for one am looking forward to that and the fire he brings to the sidelines.

So, UNC will have the #2 (behind AU, of course) defense this year?

Kidding, I mostly agree with you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 11:06:08 AM »
Yep, I'm feelin' ya' on the D-line.  It's the biggest question mark on the entire team IMO for the simple fact that it will be totally different than last year.  Obviously, Lawson was missing but it was really anchored by 4 seniors in Wright, Blackson, Bradley and Whitaker.  Lambert did a decent job at end but he was playing out of position.  It was Lambert, wasn't it.  I get Devonte Lambert and Devaroe Lawrence mixed up.  Or is it Devaroe Lambert and Devonte Lawrence? 

What?

Either way, they couldn't stop the run or rush the passer.  Several of those guys are in NFL camps right now so you have to think there was some real talent there....wait...Trovon is in camp too.  Scratch that.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 11:11:10 AM »
I an earlier report:

Defensive lineman Montravius Adams worked with the second-team defense for the second straight day. Meanwhile, Justin Garrett, Cameron Toney and Tre Williams had some reps with the first-team unit.

The Adams thing seems to be where he is at. Not really wanting to be "the man".

The others, If those guys are good enough right now to play with the first team, we could have a great LB corp.
Sub in and out the first half and let the hosses run the second. That would have been the difference in a few games last season. The bamturd game comes to mind where the defense just wore out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

djsimp

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 11:22:19 AM »

I am curious to see how Chizik does up there, however, I doubt he does any head butting his defensive players.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2015, 11:27:44 AM »
I am curious to see how Chizik does up there, however, I doubt he does any head butting his defensive players.

I've heard the defense has yet to practice.

Seems they can't get all of the helmets lined up correctly just yet. It may be a few days yet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 11:43:16 AM »

Ellis had fire too. His was just in a dumpster.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2015, 11:51:50 AM »

"Absolutely." "No question."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2015, 12:18:22 PM »

Just as long as those energy vampires don't show up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

djsimp

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2015, 12:45:19 PM »
http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Camp-videos-Day-2-Tray-Matthews-back-at-work-38578903

Camp videos, Day 2: Tray Matthews back at work
Phillip Marshall

AUBURN - After missing Tuesday's practice, transfer safety Tray Matthews was back at work on the practice field Wednesday for the second practice of preseason camp.

Head coach Gus Malzahn said Tuesday that Matthews missed practice to "take care of some personal business."

In two other videos below, the wide receivers work with their coach, Dameyune Craig, and Rodney Garner works with some defensive linemen.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2015, 01:30:28 PM »
This could be an interesting thread if I wasn't the only one that knows anything about football.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2015, 03:09:43 PM »
This could be an interesting thread if I wasn't the only one that knows anything about football.
I rate your knowledge right there with Finebaum and Naismith.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2015, 03:12:24 PM »

:haha:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2015, 03:39:39 PM »
Thanks. I try to not only be informational but entertaining as....hey, wait a minute.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2015, 06:14:15 PM »
Heard Cole Cubelic breaking down AU on Finedong yesterday.  He must have come on here and read my takes because it was like I wrote it....and then he went on air and said it.  Srsly, it was all about the D for him.  If Muschamp gets the D going, we win the SEC.  If not, we're 8-5 again.  He believes we're loaded on offense and JJ will light it up.  One tidbit of teh trivias that was a little unsettling.  He said we haven't won in Baton Rude since he smoked a cigar on the field in 99'. 

I know that means nothing but that's an early game that could be pivotal.  Cubelic said though, he believes LSU will continue to be down and getting them early is the best possible thing with them being so unsettled at QB.

Oh...and on the D...he seemed to indicate without coming out and saying it, that Ellis Johnson was ignernt.  Always lined up wrong.  Wrong schemes, wrong coverages, horrible technique.  That makes me happy. If that was truly the problem, and it seemed to be to my untrained eye, that shit is fixable.

Eillis never played a down that I know of.  But yeah, they looked totally fux'd up.  Schemes?  I'm pretty certain he knows a sound scheme or 2.  Getting it coached up is another deal.  My surmise is he tried to do too much shit without perfecting any of it in practice.  Just fucking line up right, play sound, and tackle like a MOFO.  You can do a lot of damage just doing that.  Was Ellis trying to make up for lack of talent with scheme?  Maybe.  I just don't see how the defense cannot be significantly improved.  I mean, 2 stops a game would be an improvement. 

I've changed my mind on this over the years.  I used to think you could be GREAT on both sides of the ball.  I have concluded that you are either an offensive or defensive oriented team.  That, in and of itself, is no revelation.  However, when your HC is an innovator or master of one sort or the other, that divide is going to be greater and skewed towards the HC's way of seeing and doing things.  (Reference for the opposite of our current situation, Tubs teams with great defenses and talented yet underachieving offenses)  Thus we will, under Gus, always be a good to great offense, and I think we will always be left wanting on defense, even if we're 'good enough'.  I can't explain why it is that way, but it just seems to be.  JMHO, YMMV. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions