Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

New Spread Offense

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
New Spread Offense
« on: August 30, 2008, 05:17:17 PM »
I hope the new offense goes better for us tonight than it has been going for Meeechigan.

At halftime:
98 Passing yards
4 Rushing yards

The only TD scored was on a Utah fumble on about the 20 yard line.

I bet the Meeechigan fans are getting restless...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: New Spread Offense
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 08:15:06 PM »
Well, ours couldnt look much worse than it has so far. Hell, we even 3 plays and punted at mid field.

I don't mind giving both qb'a snaps but I hat the one series in one out shit. Give them a few series at a time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 08:17:48 PM »
I hope the new offense goes better for us tonight than it has been going for Meeechigan.

At halftime:
98 Passing yards
4 Rushing yards

The only TD scored was on a Utah fumble on about the 20 yard line.

I bet the Meeechigan fans are getting restless...

A-FUCKING-BYSMAL so far. Does Borges have a job yet? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 08:33:26 PM »
The bad thing is...when we run the ball, we pick up big chunks. THen we go to the slips screens and screen passes and it is punt...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 08:34:59 PM »
The new O sucks ass! We could line up in the I with Ben Tate and run the ball down there fucking throats. We need to pick 1 qb and stay with them for more than 1 series.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 08:40:27 PM »
The new O sucks ass! We could line up in the I with Ben Tate and run the ball down there fucking throats. We need to pick 1 qb and stay with them for more than 1 series.

Agree with the QB statement. I was a believer in Todd after watching practice but Burns brings something special to the table. I think we should go solely with him at this point.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 09:23:44 PM »
Auburn is in trouble if Burns is hurt bad...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 09:46:46 PM »
todd has looked horrible.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 10:26:49 PM »
Tate and Smith both looked good.  Other than that, I wasn't too impressed with the offense.  I hope we can pull it together before next weekend.  Southern Miss is no pushover.

At least we didn't lose to La Tech....cough....Mississippi State....cough cough....

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 12:08:31 AM »
First off doesn't anyone have a brother's ...cousins... friends... aunt at 31 flavors that saw Kodi Burns?  Any word on his injury??? Hope its not a broken shin.

My analysis would be to say, we looked rusty as shit.  However, does that surprise anyone we always look rusty in the first games.  After all we are Auburn, god knows we can never blow a team out by 65 points in the first half.  IMO Burns definitely look better at QB, he had some good throws, that one down field that went right threw the WR's hands was nice and he had some nice runs.  Although the fact that he is already hurt worries me, in the SEC it is hard for a running QB to make it through an entire season without getting injured. Todd however had no umph on his throws, the only series he had that he looked good in was the last drive.

So my questions are these....how much of tonights game was game plan? In other words I am sure the playbook was limited in order to save things for future big games.  How much of the gameplay by the QB's were nerves? Remember this is the first time in front of a big crowd for some of these boys and if the QB is nervous it can effect the team.  I think the reason uat did so well tonight was because of Sarah Jessica, that was probably the best game I have ever seen him play, but the guy is a senior, he should be playing like that.  Finally how much is rust, I watched a bunch of games today, nobody really stood out. Even mighty super Teabow had a very mediocre game.

On a positive note the running game was great the frosh Smith played well and Tate looks like a beast. Defense looked very... very... solid and the shutout looked good. Kudos to Dunn for our first punt return TD  in 12 years, that stopping cut he made was incredible!!

I am gonna leave my verdict on the AU spread at even right now, I will give them the benefit of the doubt and say that rust, nerves and inexperience were a factor. Lets see how we look next week.

War Eagle Everyone, I'll take the win.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 12:11:19 AM by BK AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 12:36:28 AM »
Granted, I was unable to see the game, but what was the score?

A 34-0 shutout win isn't anything to be distraught over. At least we didn't lose 21-14.

Like Brian said, I wasn't expecting us to bring out the big guns, and we were playing all backups by the 4th quarter.

The sky is not falling. Looks pretty sunny to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 01:02:49 AM »
Just read that Swinton and Pierre-Louis suffered knee injuries. Swinton they didn't coment on, but it sounds like Pierre-Louis is gone, Tubs said injury did not look good.  This really sucks for them, especially if Swinton is gone for the year, finally coming into his own. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 01:57:51 AM »
Granted, I was unable to see the game, but what was the score?

A 34-0 shutout win isn't anything to be distraught over. At least we didn't lose 21-14.

Like Brian said, I wasn't expecting us to bring out the big guns, and we were playing all backups by the 4th quarter.

The sky is not falling. Looks pretty sunny to me.

Just got back from the game, and I can say that even after ALL the things typed, BK and Chizad get it.   We'll know more about injuries by tomorrow and the days to follow.   Had a great time today and tailgated with Ben Tate's father and Brad Lester's mom.   Great people!   

Highlight of the night (outside of Dunn's return of course) was the lick Neiko Thorpe put on some poor soul towards the end of the game.   I swear I felt the barometric pressure drop a few points as that hit occurred! 

Things will be fine folks!  Defense looked great once they got the butterfly's out, and started hitting people.  Offense was just going to be vanilla.  Pure and simple.  This wasn't a bowl game vs. a top 10 opponent, and you weren't going to see that gameplan installed today.  I hope Kodi is okay, but it was good to see Todd get his shit together when he was left to it the rest of the game.   I think he was a little gun-shy and afraid of making a mistake early in the game.  He seemed to settle as time went on.

First time I've had to drive back to Birmingham after a game.... Fuck me, I thought that drive from Auburn to Montgomery was long and miserable.... Ugh....  next time, I'm getting a room!

War Damn Eagle!

Remember bammers, congrats on your win vs. Thunder and Lig...wait, I mean, "Fart and Spark....  , but you do this every fucking year, build up a little brick tower for your eventual Peter Pan to reality and a 6 - 6 record.   Don't quite pull the up the travel sites to BCS games yet...

I'm tired, and done rambling.....

:thumbsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 02:48:30 AM »
Kodi's Injury:

It wasn't a broken bone or even a sprain.  I've been told that when he was hit, after that long run, part of the ULM helmet caught part of Burn's leg, right under his knee cap, and Stripped His Skin Down To His Sock.......Fuckin' OUCH.  He's gonna be out for, atleast........a couple of days.

As for Todd:

Wow, is all I can say.  After he checks his first and Sometimes second receiver, if they aren't open....He starts to Freak the Fuck Out and just throws it, with no real intention of trying to complete the pass.  I counted atleast three times where Todd threw it Right at the ULM defender and they dropped it, Thank GOD.  Guys, uat's defenders probably won't drop most of those direct passes. 
My question for y'all, if anyone knows, is......is Todd color blind? Or was this just the first game jitters?  He also might want to shed that #12 (somewhat Jinx and all).  The number jinx would be similar to an Olineman wearing the #69.  If y'all don't know who I'm talking about that wore the #69, then y'all, apparently, don't watch the Offensive Line....like I do.  I'll give y'all a hint......his name ryhmes with Mark Pera.  I can't tell y'all how many times are QBs were HAMMERED because of #69, but Jumbo will tell you that nearly every time the QB was sacked, I'd ask him, "Guess who's man that was, Jumbo."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 04:10:23 AM »
I will point out a few positives that I saw.

1. Ben Tate is ready for a breakout year, he carried the offense on his back tonight.
2. Eric Smith the freshman running back from Fla, is going to be a special player. He has big play potential everytime he touches the ball.
3. Big Tez Doolittle and Jake Ricks looked great tonight, they will add some depth to our D-line.
4. Neiko (Lipscomb) Thorpe is a beast on the field, I think he can be a shutdown corner with a mean streak.

5. Josh "Big Daddy" Bynes will be and All American linebacker before he leaves the plains. He made some big plays tonight in the second half.

Thats just my observation from the cheap seats.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 11:34:04 AM »

As for Todd Cox:

Wow, is all I can say.  After he checks his first and Sometimes second receiver, if they aren't open....He starts to Freak the Fuck Out and just throws it, with no real intention of trying to complete the pass.  I counted atleast three times where Todd Cox threw it Right at the ULM defender and they dropped it, Thank GOD.  Guys, uat's defenders probably won't drop most of those direct passes. 
My question for y'all, if anyone knows, is......is Todd Cox color blind? Or was this just the first game jitters? 

Fixed it so it looks more familiar.   34 - ZERO.  I'm not putting a gun to my head yet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 12:20:16 PM »
Fixed it so it looks more familiar.   34 - ZERO.  I'm not putting a gun to my head yet.

85 yards passing, a quarterback who threw at least two balls directly to defenders (no receiver in sight on either) and an offense that looks like something you'd see a junior high private school team running.   The gun is not to my head, but it's damn sure in my hand and I'm looking at it.

Franklin looked like a frenetic douchebag on the sidelines, too.  He needs to get his monkey ass up in the booth. 

After one game you can put me squarely in the "holy SHIT, what a mistake I hope we can survive this" camp. Things that have me seriously, seriously concerned:

1) Todd looked like a complete loser. No touch on his passes and a complete inability to make a decision.  Standing back in the pocket for ten seconds and no idea where to throw the ball?  Panicking and throwing it to the other team?  Perhaps the worst quarterback debut I've seen in a long time.

2) Franklin has always seemed out-of-control. From his off-season sound bites to his refusal to pick a quarterback, he's bothered me. I got nothing good out of Saturday. He looked like a sweaty, disorganized bum. The stubborn decision to swap series with the QBs kept both afraid to make a mistake and didn't allow either to develop any kind of rhythm. But he's a douchebag who's going to do things his own way.

3) Franklin's ability to evaluate talent in SEC terms seems woefully. woefully lacking.  Todd is further from ready to be an SEC quarterback than Paul McCartney's one-legged former wife.  Burns is ahead. A drunken orangutan could see that. But Franklin's bull-headed insistence on making Todd "his guy" kept Burns from getting the number of number one reps he should have and has stunted his development.   I was really hesitant about Franklin from the beginning, but after watching one outing, I pretty much think he is an assclown. Not impressed. He's rinky-dink. 

4) If we'd been playing an SEC-caliber team last night we might have played well enough on defense to hold them to 10-14 points, but we wouldn't have come close to scoring that much.  Not anywhere near.  You can write that off to "not showing all our cards" and "playing vanilla" but isn't that the same bullshit we've heard for the last couple of years?  What if we just don't have any true playmakers on offense other than the backs and our O-line?  If that is really the case, Franklin's gimmick shit isn't the way to get them moving or to hide the defencies under center and at wideout. 

I hate to complain about a 34-0 win, and I appreciate the desire to see silver linings, but there were a hell of a lot of dark clouds, too.  Yeah, it's all sunshiny today, no question.  Don't look at the weather.  Just ignore that monster hurricane brewing off the coast. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 12:39:02 PM »
Holy shit then.  We're obviously screwed.  I'll just sit here and rock in my chair, and fear what might happen then....

"Tito, get me a tissue".... :bag:   

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 01:57:38 PM »
85 yards passing, a quarterback who threw at least two balls directly to defenders (no receiver in sight on either) and an offense that looks like something you'd see a junior high private school team running.   The gun is not to my head, but it's damn sure in my hand and I'm looking at it.

Franklin looked like a frenetic douchebag on the sidelines, too.  He needs to get his monkey ass up in the booth. 

After one game you can put me squarely in the "holy SHIT, what a mistake I hope we can survive this" camp. Things that have me seriously, seriously concerned:

1) Todd looked like a complete loser. No touch on his passes and a complete inability to make a decision.  Standing back in the pocket for ten seconds and no idea where to throw the ball?  Panicking and throwing it to the other team?  Perhaps the worst quarterback debut I've seen in a long time.

2) Franklin has always seemed out-of-control. From his off-season sound bites to his refusal to pick a quarterback, he's bothered me. I got nothing good out of Saturday. He looked like a sweaty, disorganized bum. The stubborn decision to swap series with the QBs kept both afraid to make a mistake and didn't allow either to develop any kind of rhythm. But he's a douchebag who's going to do things his own way.

3) Franklin's ability to evaluate talent in SEC terms seems woefully. woefully lacking.  Todd is further from ready to be an SEC quarterback than Paul McCartney's one-legged former wife.  Burns is ahead. A drunken orangutan could see that. But Franklin's bull-headed insistence on making Todd "his guy" kept Burns from getting the number of number one reps he should have and has stunted his development.   I was really hesitant about Franklin from the beginning, but after watching one outing, I pretty much think he is an assclown. Not impressed. He's rinky-dink. 

4) If we'd been playing an SEC-caliber team last night we might have played well enough on defense to hold them to 10-14 points, but we wouldn't have come close to scoring that much.  Not anywhere near.  You can write that off to "not showing all our cards" and "playing vanilla" but isn't that the same bullshit we've heard for the last couple of years?  What if we just don't have any true playmakers on offense other than the backs and our O-line?  If that is really the case, Franklin's gimmick shit isn't the way to get them moving or to hide the defencies under center and at wideout. 

I hate to complain about a 34-0 win, and I appreciate the desire to see silver linings, but there were a hell of a lot of dark clouds, too.  Yeah, it's all sunshiny today, no question.  Don't look at the weather.  Just ignore that monster hurricane brewing off the coast. 

I think you're taking it too far.  The only mistake that has been made is not picking a #1 QB.  Franklin doesn't take showers, he's ugly, and he loses his temper.  However, that doesn't mean he can't coach or devise a good gameplan.  I think Franklin imagined his QB situation being a good thing when in reality it wasn't.  You're exactly right saying that Burns didn't get enough reps to function as a #1 QB. 

If you ask me, I say make Burns the starter, and let's run the spread like West Virginia. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 02:04:57 PM »
And to add -

What's one common denominator between Al Borges' inept passing offense and Tony Franklin's (so far) inept passing offense? 

Coach Greg Knox. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole