Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

New Spread Offense

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
Re: New Spread Offense
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2008, 02:10:02 PM »
IMO, the defense looked great.  Bynes is a big physical kid that moved sideline to sideline really well.  Thorpe might be my favorite player in the secondary now.  Having Doolittle back is nice also.

The only bright spots on Offense was Tate and the new kid E. Smith.  Damn, Smith is going to be a stud!  Todd must tuck Franklin in at night or something, because he sure looked, and played like shit.  That was one of the worst passing performances I've seen in a long, long time.  Stick with Kodi, he's our best bet for a good season.  Dunn can return punts and kicks, but quit putting him on the field to drop fucking passes.  While I'm on the subject of dropped passes, does Slaughter need Burns to run down the field and carefully place the ball in his fucking hands?  How the fuck do you get a scholly as a receiver if you can't catch the fucking deep ball?  If this shit doesn't get straightend out, we will be in for a long season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 02:28:29 PM »
The biggest gripe I had all night was with our receivers. They couldn't catch a cold.

Defense was pretty damn good. Like someone mentioned earlier, it was nice to see the DB's turn to look at the ball.

Todd does not plant his feet.

Waaaaaaayyyyyy too many boo's from the fans last night (mostly aimed at Todd). That is disgusting. We (Auburn people) are supposed to be better than that.

Other news from the PCT camp:

Tailgated with the Pell City folk on the corner of MLK and Donohue. Had the mother of all BBQ/Smoke trailers in the parking lot. People walking to the stadium stopped and checked it out.

Todd Jones, the former Astros and Detroit Tigers closer, tailgated with us. He's married to a girl I went to school with. Great guy. Said his rotator cuff is torn and his career is over. Retirement ceremony in Detroit at the end of the season.

After the game, got to speak with the Warhawks Punter, Scott Love. He's my friends first cousin. His folks drove over for the game and tailgated with us. Great young man. Had a lot of good things to say about playing in Jordan-Hare.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2008, 03:22:51 PM »
The biggest gripe I had all night was with our receivers. They couldn't catch a cold.

I hear that.  Slaughter missed a big one he should of had, Dunn missed one or two.  The balls the RB's missed were just poorly thrown.  SOOO close on the TD from Kodi.  Good effort by Rod there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2008, 06:59:13 PM »
More thoughts -

Our coaches have become softies on the offensive side of the ball.  I just realized what our coaches having been doing - BABYING our fucking quarterbacks.  It seems like every practice, the coaches were giving the QBs time to come into their own.  They were allowing them to learn the offense.  They were waiting for one QB to pull away.  Well it didn't happen.  You know why?  Because they had nobody pushing them.  The coaches need (or needed) to tell the QBs, "Okay, this is the day.  Whoever does the best gets the job.  Go compete." 

I damn-well bet you that the true starter would emerge. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008, 09:18:32 PM »
More thoughts -

Our coaches have become softies on the offensive side of the ball.  I just realized what our coaches having been doing - BABYING our fucking quarterbacks.  It seems like every practice, the coaches were giving the QBs time to come into their own.  They were allowing them to learn the offense.  They were waiting for one QB to pull away.  Well it didn't happen.  You know why?  Because they had nobody pushing them.  The coaches need (or needed) to tell the QBs, "Okay, this is the day.  Whoever does the best gets the job.  Go compete." 

I damn-well bet you that the true starter would emerge. 

Did you see anything -- anything -- that indicated there should have been some great decision to be made in the first place? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 10:58:17 PM »
I did not see our game, but there seems to be some kvetching about the lack of execution in the passing game...drops/bad throws/bad routes/whathaveyou...since I didn't see it, I can't and won't comment on anything specific.

I will say that one of Burns or Todd needs to step up and be the alpha dog at QB.  When you've got 2 undistinguished QBs, you really don't have a QB at all.

One game does not make a trend line.  I know there is a great need on the part of fans to be prescient so that if something happens to go right or wrong down the line, they can pat themselves on the collective back and say "see that?  I saw it coming a mile away...why couldn't you?" and pump up their perceived football IQ.

If some of the same issues are present toward the end of the season, then that will be a problem.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"If you're looking for sympathy, it's in the dictionary between shit and syphilis."

Come Honor Face

• Are you serious??
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 11:51:10 PM »
I was waiting and watching, hoping they would put in Trotter and laugh my ass off when he would hit everything open. Of course they never did, but for some reason, I think he is one of those unknown surprises like that Smith kid and thorpe.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"you'll be a winner today, pick a fight with a 4 year old"

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2008, 01:37:58 AM »
I did not see our game, but there seems to be some kvetching about the lack of execution in the passing game...drops/bad throws/bad routes/whathaveyou...since I didn't see it, I can't and won't comment on anything specific.

I will say that one of Burns or Todd needs to step up and be the alpha dog at QB.  When you've got 2 undistinguished QBs, you really don't have a QB at all.

One game does not make a trend line.  I know there is a great need on the part of fans to be prescient so that if something happens to go right or wrong down the line, they can pat themselves on the collective back and say "see that?  I saw it coming a mile away...why couldn't you?" and pump up their perceived football IQ.

If some of the same issues are present toward the end of the season, then that will be a problem.
I concur.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

BLS

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2008, 02:23:21 PM »
85 yards passing, a quarterback who threw at least two balls directly to defenders (no receiver in sight on either) and an offense that looks like something you'd see a junior high private school team running.   The gun is not to my head, but it's damn sure in my hand and I'm looking at it.

Franklin looked like a frenetic douchebag on the sidelines, too.  He needs to get his monkey ass up in the booth. 

After one game you can put me squarely in the "holy SHIT, what a mistake I hope we can survive this" camp. Things that have me seriously, seriously concerned:

1) Todd looked like a complete loser. No touch on his passes and a complete inability to make a decision.  Standing back in the pocket for ten seconds and no idea where to throw the ball?  Panicking and throwing it to the other team?  Perhaps the worst quarterback debut I've seen in a long time.

2) Franklin has always seemed out-of-control. From his off-season sound bites to his refusal to pick a quarterback, he's bothered me. I got nothing good out of Saturday. He looked like a sweaty, disorganized bum. The stubborn decision to swap series with the QBs kept both afraid to make a mistake and didn't allow either to develop any kind of rhythm. But he's a douchebag who's going to do things his own way.

3) Franklin's ability to evaluate talent in SEC terms seems woefully. woefully lacking.  Todd is further from ready to be an SEC quarterback than Paul McCartney's one-legged former wife.  Burns is ahead. A drunken orangutan could see that. But Franklin's bull-headed insistence on making Todd "his guy" kept Burns from getting the number of number one reps he should have and has stunted his development.   I was really hesitant about Franklin from the beginning, but after watching one outing, I pretty much think he is an assclown. Not impressed. He's rinky-dink. 

4) If we'd been playing an SEC-caliber team last night we might have played well enough on defense to hold them to 10-14 points, but we wouldn't have come close to scoring that much.  Not anywhere near.  You can write that off to "not showing all our cards" and "playing vanilla" but isn't that the same bullshit we've heard for the last couple of years?  What if we just don't have any true playmakers on offense other than the backs and our O-line?  If that is really the case, Franklin's gimmick shit isn't the way to get them moving or to hide the defencies under center and at wideout. 

I hate to complain about a 34-0 win, and I appreciate the desire to see silver linings, but there were a hell of a lot of dark clouds, too.  Yeah, it's all sunshiny today, no question.  Don't look at the weather.  Just ignore that monster hurricane brewing off the coast. 

TRUTH! preach it!

There's trouble brewing on the plains, not just your new offense either, TT has gotten AU in a fix. I know it's only one game, but some of you guys have become blinded by your own hype and squeaky-clean attitude.

'' The jury's still out on Auburn's passing game: Kodi Burns and Chris Todd, alternating series in Tony Franklin's new spread offense, combined for just 28 yards passing through the first three quarters, and their longest pass play heading into the final quarter was 7 yards. The Tigers finished with 85 yards passing''

You'll win your share but when you hit the SEC schedule, you'll see what a lot of the other fan bases already knew about what the ''ol riverboat gambler'' has gotten you guys in.
Again, only one game but my prediction is becoming clearer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2008, 02:44:17 PM »
There were a lot of out of sync teams this weekend. I'm reserving judgment on our demise until a few games into this season. As I mentioned earlier, the biggest changes in execution are seen between games 1 and 2. I'm not pressing the panic button just yet.

Bama caught Clemson on a horrible night. Let's see how you roll later in the schedule. Methinks the Dawgs will put up a little more fight than Tommy Bowden's guys did. Congrats on your win. Remember though, 3 years ago under Shula, you destroyed a very good Florida team. Last year, you blew out the Vols. How did the end of your season go? I quote the Book of Saban, Chapter 2 Verse 8, "Enjoy it while you can."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

BLS

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2008, 03:22:41 PM »
Yes, of course we'll have a harder time against the SEC opponents.  Still, we didn't annoint Clemson #9 or MNC contenders.

Here is what Tommy Bowden thinks 

''We got whipped about every way you get whipped," Bowden said. "… I don't think we've been beat that bad physically probably in three years."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 03:38:18 PM »
You lost at home to the ULM team that we supposedly monumentally struggled against, and beat 34-0.   Get out of here, idiot.    :taunt:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BLS

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 03:53:07 PM »
 :popcorn:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2008, 04:09:07 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2008, 04:49:43 PM »
Yes, of course we'll have a harder time against the SEC opponents.  Still, we didn't annoint Clemson #9 or MNC contenders.

Here is what Tommy Bowden thinks 

''We got whipped about every way you get whipped," Bowden said. "… I don't think we've been beat that bad physically probably in three years."

Bls, your team just blew out the best team in the Acc. After the first game what are your expectations for the rest of the season?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2008, 04:51:17 PM »
Bls, your team just blew out the best team in the Acc. After the first game what are your expectations for the rest of the season?

There going to Disneyland!  :vn:   Wait, is that near Shreveport?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BLS

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2008, 05:10:19 PM »

To early to tell. It's only the first game but we looked disiplined ( on the field anyway   :rofl:   )  and they did look sharp and comfortable in the new offense for a first game.  A few penalties on the offense (3) I think. Not a bad showing but far from where we need to be as far as SEC play goes.
If we can stay healthy and have a couple breaks we could win 8.
We have a tough schedule, away games are brutal and TTown hasn't been kind to us when we play you guys so again 8 wins I think is possible.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2008, 05:14:50 PM »
We have a tough schedule, away games are brutal and TTown hasn't been kind to us when we play you guys so again 8 wins I think is possible.

So which way is going to be, the piece of shit cumdumpster you've been so far, or realistic participant like right here.  Your lucky Jumbo invited you here, and is continuing to put his blinders on to your cock in the mouth behavior, but the rest of us aren't.  So, which way is it going to be nutsack?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BLS

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2008, 06:04:24 PM »

Well with your comments, regardless of what I post, It's a bit hard to try and be sensible.  I tried to be a respectable member of the forum but you keep showing what you are about and your intentions constantly.

I'm responding to you in the manner in which you've been addressing me since I came here. Unfortunately it takes almost all the fun outta this place for me so I don't get much of a chance at being realistic or enjoying some of the other members. Before you started this ‘‘runs this Bammer off campaign’’ by baiting your fucking comments (knowing no one is going to put up with your insults constantly) I didn't have any problems with anyone here.
You are by far the most hypocritical Au poster in the history of message boards. That includes a shit load of fucked up Bama posters I've seen.
You’re nothing but a resident shit stirrer intent on fucking up this place and you do your job very well.
You want a respectable member of the site to talk and enjoy football then try acting like one. You may get surprised and find that you'll get a little respect in return. That's not happening because that's not what you want anyway so the situation is not going to change.

As far as Prowler inviting me and me being lucky I'm here, you people have the power to ban my ass, if you feel the need go ahead.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2008, 06:34:39 PM »
We don't ban people over here, thats the other shitty, heavily moderated, poorly ran Auburn message board.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions