Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

WRs after Coates & Williams

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
WRs after Coates & Williams
« on: December 12, 2014, 01:24:05 PM »
http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Analyzing-Auburns-receiving-corps-without-Coates-and-Williams-33759338

Analysis: Auburn receivers without Coates and Williams
Justin Hokanson
23 hours ago

Auburn passed for 2,768 yards this season and over half went to two receivers - D'haquille Williams and Sammie Coates.

Williams finished with 730 yards and five touchdowns, with Coates coming on strong after an early season injury to finish with 717 yards and four touchdowns. Coates' performance in the Iron Bowl was epic, going for 206 yards and two touchdowns - an Iron Bowl record for an Auburn receiver.

Now, they both face a tough decision. Return for their senior seasons with a new quarterback at the helm, but likely a more pass-oriented quarterback, or declare for the NFL Draft and start their professional careers.

Both Coates and Williams are projected anywhere from the first to third rounds, depending the scouting service you prefer.

In Gus Malzahn and Nick Marshall's first season, Coates was a huge difference maker in the Tigers' offense. Coates was arguably the top deep threat in the nation catching seven touchdowns and racking up 902 yards. It's hard to quantify the difference Coates' ability to stretch the field meant to the best rushing attack the SEC has ever seen in 2013. Auburn won the SEC championship and nearly won the BCS national championship, thanks in large part to Coates' talents to keep the safeties honest.

Then comes Williams, who arrived at Auburn last winter as the nation's top rated junior college prospect and a set of skills that Auburn hasn't seen at receiver in years, maybe ever. Williams' catch radius is extraordinary and his toughness is not in doubt, returning for the Iron Bowl after a MCL sprain weeks earlier to tally 121 yards receiving. Williams capitalized early and often this season over the middle as teams worried about the threat of Coates downfield.

Coates and Williams' finally came together in harmony in the Tigers' 55-44 loss at Alabama, as the duo combined for 327 receiving yards of Marshall's 456 passing yards and two of Marshall's three touchdowns. But the glimpse of what the duo was capable of together and healthy may be short-lived with only the bowl game remaining before one, if not both depart for the NFL.

And don't forget the impact senior Quan Bray made this season, finishing with 408 yards and four touchdowns. If all three depart, 67 percent of Auburn's receiving yards will leave with them.

While we wait on those answers, Auburn can't wait. The Tigers' coaching staff is already recruiting for spots that may not be open yet, while current Tigers' receivers are licking their chops to the opportunity that awaits next spring.

The future:

Melvin Ray - The junior started fast against Arkansas with 77 yards and a touchdown, but only caught five passes the rest of the season. Ray has the height and experience to develop into a playmaker for Auburn next season.

Ricardo Louis - Louis' production dropped off from his 325 yards in 2013, to just 195 yards and two touchdowns this season. In large part, that's due to the emergence of Williams. Louis was relegated to his speed sweep role, but has the speed and size to be a more prominent player his senior season.

Marcus Davis - Davis caught 23 passes for 217 yards during his true freshman season, including a touchdown in the season opener against Arkansas State, but seemingly disappeared at times this season, finishing with 11 receptions for 71 yards. Davis is a very good and very smart football player that will undoubtedly develop into an important receiver for Jeremy Johnson during his first season starting. Davis will gobble up the numbers that Bray was able to put up in 2013, in all likelihood.

Tony Stevens - This could be the receiver to watch during spring practice. Auburn doesn't have another tall, rangy wideout like Coates and Williams, other than Stevens. The former U.S. Army All-American has his opportunity teed up in front of him after Coates and/or Williams depart. With only six career catches, Stevens' time has come.

Dominic Walker - After redshirting in 2013, Walker barely played in 2014. At 6-foot-1, 217 pounds, there's lots to like about Walker, but we haven't seen anything to analyze during game action to this point. Walker, like Stevens, faces an important spring practice next year.

Stanton Truitt - The freshman earned some early playing time before being injured and redshirting. Truitt is incredibly similar to Davis, in that both have speed, quickness, and both played high school quarterback. Their skill-set is alike, so it will be interesting to see Truitt's impact in the spring. He has elite speed and that alone will get him on the field.

Jaylon Denson - Remember the former 4-star receiver from Hoover, Alabama? Denson had a great fall camp last year and was starting, before an injury at LSU ended his season and Denson has barely been heard from since. Denson caught zero passes this season, but will have one final opportunity to live up to his potential in 2014. Denson is big, physical, and the coaches like his work ethic and attitude.

Myron Burton - After redshirting this season, Burton will try and get into the mix this spring. Burton had a knack for making tough catches during high school and on the camp circuit, and will bring a tough-minded attitude to the slot position.

D'Anfernee McGriff - The Top247 4-star athlete is being recruited to Auburn to be the next Ricardo Louis. McGriff measures 6-foot-2, 230 pounds and plays a multitude of positions in high school, including receiver and quarterback. McGriff will enter into a crowded race for playing time, but has some unique skills to bring to the table.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: WRs after Coates & Williams
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 02:12:23 PM »
The future will have to be built on JJ's shoulders.  We don't have any receivers on the field that can recreate what Coates and Williams bring to the table.  But as long as we have guys that can catch the ball, I have no doubt our offense will keep rolling.

Look at 2010.  Sure, Cam's running ability far outweighs what JJ will be able to do, but he didn't need NFL receivers to help him become the #1 overall draft pick. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

djsimp

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 02:43:43 PM »
The future will have to be built on JJ's shoulders.  We don't have any receivers on the field that can recreate what Coates and Williams bring to the table.  But as long as we have guys that can catch the ball, I have no doubt our offense will keep rolling.

Look at 2010.  Sure, Cam's running ability far outweighs what JJ will be able to do, but he didn't need NFL receivers to help him become the #1 overall draft pick.

I agree but I certainly see several very capable receivers in that fold that can reach the Coates and Williams level. There is no doubt JJ can deliver and like you said, the offense will keep rolling. You couple that with Robinson being added to the mix with Roc and Barber, you perhaps have an even more dangerous offense then what we have seen the last two years. The real question in my mind is what happens to rebuild the OL.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 02:56:27 PM »
I agree but I certainly see several very capable receivers in that fold that can reach the Coates and Williams level. There is no doubt JJ can deliver and like you said, the offense will keep rolling. You couple that with Robinson being added to the mix with Roc and Barber, you perhaps have an even more dangerous offense then what we have seen the last two years. The real question in my mind is what happens to rebuild the OL.

I see a QB being able to hit the receivers in stride better.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

djsimp

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 03:06:22 PM »

I see a QB being able to hit the receivers in stride better.

You aint kidding. Dude, the bowl game hasn't even been played yet and I am already anticipating with great delight the 2015 season. It will be glorious.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 04:55:19 AM »
The UAB transfer will definitely help...he's coming to campus today. Sammie's decision to jump more than likely prompted this rescheduled visit. Remember this visit was scheduled to come some time after Christmas, if at all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 08:08:49 AM »
I think something else being overlooked is the change in receiver quality thanks to the coaching of Craig.  I know some wouldn't mind seeing him jump over to OC if Lashlee leaves, but I've enjoyed seeing Auburn finally have multiple receivers that can make plays.  Haven't seen this kind of pass catchers since 2005. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 09:19:53 AM »
WR's won't matter, we are a defensive team now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 09:24:53 AM »
I know some wouldn't mind seeing him jump over to OC if Lashlee leaves...

I see this occasionally as well but why is that? Craig's a huge asset for us so I understand the broad appearance reasoning of "why" based on being an Auburn guy/experience/likely aspirations in coaching but... would that work?

And I'm not asking facetiously, I just don't know what makes Craig's 2 years with Gus equal to that of an OC understudy who's essentially been groomed as a disciple of the man for the last 14 or so years. And even so, I'm still not even sure just how much reign Gus gives Rhett over the offense to this day.

Then again, maybe that last part is why, even with limited time in the system, Craig could do just fine? Or me for that matter.

Then again, again, maybe this is one of those rare occasions where I just don't know enough on this particular matter... hence why I ask.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 10:04:01 AM »
WR's won't matter, we are a defensive team now.

Let's slow down there pilgrim. Just cause there is a new chef in the kitchen don't mean the soup is gonna be that much better.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 10:07:43 AM »
A new scheme and having people in the right places will make a world of difference.  However, we're still several Jimmy's and Joe's away from being where we need to be.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 10:11:11 AM »
A new scheme and having people in the right places will make a world of difference.  However, we're still several Jimmy's and Joe's away from being where we need to be.

Bingo. Based on folks moving into playing parts, Did XCJE recruit at all?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 10:37:41 AM »

Let's slow down there pilgrim. Just cause there is a new chef in the kitchen don't mean the soup is gonna be that much better.
Really wow, you do realize where you are right?!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 10:50:55 AM »

And I'm not asking facetiously, I just don't know what makes Craig's 2 years with Gus equal to that of an OC understudy who's essentially been groomed as a disciple of the man for the last 14 or so years. And even so, I'm still not even sure just how much reign Gus gives Rhett over the offense to this day.

Who is this OC understudy? 

I'm saying that if Lashlee leaves Auburn for a head coaching gig, someone has to step in.  Many out there assume it's Craig.  Who else would it be?

Craig may only have two years studying under Gus, but who has more? 

I agree that Craig probably isn't ready to be an official OC yet, but much like Kirby Smart at Alabama and Gene Chizik at Auburn (2004 version), the head coach is doing the legwork.  Craig would switch to coaching quarterbacks and helping direct offensive operations during practice.  Also gets to have more insight on gameday.  But the offense would be exactly the same. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 11:00:15 AM »

I'm saying that if Lashlee leaves Auburn for a head coaching gig, someone has to step in.  Many out there assume it's Craig.  Who else would it be?

Craig may only have two years studying under Gus, but who has more? 

I agree that Craig probably isn't ready to be an official OC yet, but much like Kirby Smart at Alabama and Gene Chizik at Auburn (2004 version), the head coach is doing the legwork.  Craig would switch to coaching quarterbacks and helping direct offensive operations during practice.  Also gets to have more insight on gameday.  But the offense would be exactly the same.
It would surprise me if it's not Craig, when/if this takes place. That's assuming that Craig is still here.

Gus calls most of the plays and his offense seems to be a work in progress from year to year. It seems to me that the OC shares the workload under his guidance, so I definitely think that DC has the skills.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 11:06:48 AM »
It would surprise me if it's not Craig, when/if this takes place. That's assuming that Craig is still here.

Gus calls most of the plays and his offense seems to be a work in progress from year to year. It seems to me that the OC shares the workload under his guidance, so I definitely think that DC has the skills.

Can't forget about Craig's recruiting either.

We will have a top three offensive mind (Malzahn), a top three defensive mind (Muschamp), ace offensive recruiter (Craig), ace defensive recruiter (TRob), and bagman-runner Rodney Garner on staff.  We should have top five recruiting classes every year. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 11:24:31 AM »

I'm referring to Lashlee since he's been with Gus since his Springdale days.

As for who else, I have no idea. And I agree that no one any better suited than Craig, from a collegiate coaching experience standpoint, comes to mind. But if we're just throwing names around, Kodi Burns has followed an eerily similar path to Lashlee's under Gus and Sullivan (Player/Asst.@AU, Ark St, & Samford).

Working as an OC under an OC gets complicated from a public perception standpoint. With a perception that Gus handles a lot of those duties anyway, would Craig even want this particular OC gig... A job where he'd be perceived as being more of a placeholder rather than the hotshot play caller? Or is it better filled by more of an understudy/right hand man, a la Lashlee and, subsequently, Burns?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 11:33:44 AM »
For the record, I don't disagree that logic would point to Craig stepping in, were we to lose Lashlee. Just curious if there might be other interesting directions.

But football season is over and I get tired of news on kids being murdered. So for now, there's not much to talk about besides this and who our next DC will be nope just this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 11:38:49 AM »
Have seen no WRs on the roster that would require special attention from a defense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 11:52:15 AM »
If you're pretty sure that Gus is really calling the plays, then a logical choice for OC if Lashlee left would be Ryan Aplin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."