Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Who?

jmar

Re: Who?
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2014, 09:37:26 PM »
What good will that be when we continue to suck?

Bring Person in as an assistant, maybe.
We might continue to suck with Pearl, Howland or any other head coach of notoriety.

And who is Person going to assist after being a former NBA player and recent assistant with the Lakers?

JMO but even with the show cause, Pearl doesn't come to Auburn without a huge price tag. He knows he is worth  more than Barbee to a program and at least on par with Grant whom he would have to battle with for recruits. Jacobs isn't that commited to winning, not when it calls for paying a guy what many SEC programs pay their head football coach. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2014, 09:49:06 PM »
We might continue to suck with Pearl, Howland or any other head coach of notoriety.

And who is Person going to assist after being a former NBA player and recent assistant with the Lakers?

JMO but even with the show cause, Pearl doesn't come to Auburn without a huge price tag. He knows he is worth  more than Barbee to a program and at least on par with Grant whom he would have to battle with for recruits. Jacobs isn't that commited to winning, not when it calls for paying a guy what many SEC programs pay their head football coach.
I'd put my money on Pearl 100x before someone who's never been a head coach or coached at all on the college level, just because their Aubren Fambly.

I'd rather have Pearl for two years and a program given a spark. We've tried lighting the wet matches that is going with an up-and-comer. Don't want to spend another 5-10 years with another unproven coach.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2014, 09:59:01 PM »
Our program is shit.  I've heard multiple commentators on multiple outlets not just involved with Bammer radio and newspaper refer to Auburn as one of the lowest bottom dwelling programs in the entire country. Not just the SEC.

Bruce Pearl is a HUGE hire because it gets publicity.  It puts Auburn on the map.  He could coach for three years and move on to bigger pastures or he could be mediocre for 5-6.  His name and the hype machine behind it will bring in recruits that would have never considered Auburn.

What we need is pipelines.  We need the good high school basketball programs and AAU sponsors to bring their kids to see our facilities.  It is beyond ridiculous that we are not at least given a look by multiple top 50 players each recruiting season.  We are in the South, and we have the nicest, most updated basketball facilities in the conference. 

Even if Pearl dwindles, at least our reputation builds.  The allure of playing in a state of the art facility will be there for the 3-4 star recruits that can build a tournament team every few years.  That's all we we want, really.  I personally don't think about making it to the Final Four.  I just want a competitive team. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2014, 11:18:47 PM »
What we need is pipelines.  We need the good high school basketball programs and AAU sponsors to bring their kids to see our facilities.  It is beyond ridiculous that we are not at least given a look by multiple top 50 players each recruiting season.  We are in the South, and we have the nicest, most updated basketball facilities in the conference.
I don't know much about the pipeline situation, but it sounds overblown to me.

Bama's a Nike school. They have no self-imposed AAU ban. Why aren't they awesome?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2014, 07:40:52 AM »
Bama's a Nike school. They have no self-imposed AAU ban. Why aren't they awesome?

They are....You just have not been told yet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2014, 09:38:59 AM »
Aren't Chiznik and Pat Dye still on the payroll?  Hire Chiznik to coach away games and Dye for home. They could get us to double digit conference wins. And Pat won't need to worry about a DUI.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2014, 10:01:17 AM »
Who has used AU basketball as a stepping stone?  AU bb coaches just step off from that gig, not step up

We're not a stepping stone, we're a diving board.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2014, 10:03:29 AM »
We're not a stepping stone, we're a diving board platform.

FIX-ED!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2014, 10:19:32 AM »
I don't know much about the pipeline situation, but it sounds overblown to me.

Pipelines are a huge part of recruiting.  Think about when Tuberville was the coach, and we always seemed to pull in kids from Lakeland, Dillard, and other Florida schools.  Chizik brings in Trooper Taylor and Curtis Luper and suddenly we're pulling in kids from Texas.  That's establishing pipelines. 

They aren't sure-thing commitments and signatures, but after Tuberville, Auburn became a player in Florida.  After Chizik, Auburn became a player in Texas.  Future coaches can work those angles to attract the attention of future recruits.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2014, 10:47:51 AM »
Pipelines are a huge part of recruiting.  Think about when Tuberville was the coach, and we always seemed to pull in kids from Lakeland, Dillard, and other Florida schools.  Chizik brings in Trooper Taylor and Curtis Luper and suddenly we're pulling in kids from Texas.  That's establishing pipelines. 

They aren't sure-thing commitments and signatures, but after Tuberville, Auburn became a player in Florida.  After Chizik, Auburn became a player in Texas.  Future coaches can work those angles to attract the attention of future recruits.

Germans. This is a basketball topic.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2014, 11:32:32 AM »
What are the chances we can get Barbee back if nobody wants it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2014, 12:04:53 PM »
What are the chances we can get Barbee back if nobody wants it?

Are we gonna have to schedule a public flogging for you on every thread?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2014, 12:26:36 PM »
Are we gonna have to schedule a public flogging for you on every thread?
It would not be the first time I've flogged it in public.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2014, 04:45:19 PM »
Pete Thamel was apparently on Finebaum talking about the negative PR it would generate for Auburn to hire Pearl. Butthurt to the umpth degree.

Nevermind that Dave Didion already approved of the hire.

Finebaum trying hard to derail it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2014, 04:51:14 PM »
You lost me at Pete Thamel.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2014, 06:56:29 PM »
Pete Thamel was apparently on Finebaum talking about the negative PR it would generate for Auburn to hire Pearl. Butthurt to the umpth degree.

Nevermind that Dave Didion already approved of the hire.

Finebaum trying hard to derail it.
Well now if Thamel thinks Pearl is bad for Auburn I want him immediately.

If Pearl only stays three seasons is that enough though? A jumpstart?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2014, 10:44:31 AM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10626778/bruce-pearl-considers-auburn-tigers-head-basketball-coaching-job-sources-say
Source: Bruce Pearl, Auburn meet
Updated: March 18, 2014, 10:39 AM ET
By Jeff Goodman

Bruce Pearl met with Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs on Monday night in Knoxville, Tenn., and is strongly considering taking the job, sources told ESPN.

Bruce Pearl has a career 231-99 coaching record at the Division I level in 10 seasons at Milwaukee and Tennessee.

Pearl, 54, was fired in 2011 after taking Tennessee to six consecutive NCAA tournaments. He has worked for ESPN as an analyst the past two years.

Auburn fired Tony Barbee last week after the Tigers finished 14-16 and 6-12 in the SEC. Barbee was 49-75 in four seasons.

Pearl spent four seasons at Milwaukee and took the program to two NCAA tournaments -- including a Sweet 16 appearance in 2005. He was hired at Tennessee in 2005 and was 145-61 in six seasons with the Vols.

He was fired for lying to the NCAA in March 2011 and given a three-year show cause by the NCAA. The show-cause expires in August and will not allow him to have contact with recruits this summer. Pearl, however, will be allowed to evaluate recruits in the all-important July recruiting period.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
I bet we get Bruce Pearl
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2014, 11:29:55 AM »
I bet we get Bruce Pearl
Will never happen. Remember, I have inside sources and actually have clout unlike most on here. He has too much baggage for most of us in the inner circle of decision influencers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions