Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2014 NFL Draft...

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: 2014 NFL Draft...
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2014, 04:24:41 PM »
Then how, exactly, did he win SEC defensive player of the year over Dee Ford?
Prolly because she lives in England...racists.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2014, 04:25:59 PM »

By having better defensive stats?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2014, 04:35:34 PM »
Then how, exactly, did he win gay SEC defensive player of the year over Dee Ford?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2014, 04:38:26 PM »
Heard today that Clowney had one sack in the last 8+ games.

Lemonier...table of one.  Paging Lemonier.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2014, 08:05:39 PM »
I think they should give him a break on the stiff hips part. I'm surprised that he's even able to stand erect after taking all of the poundings this season.
Maybe even a few high-low double-teams?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2014, 08:08:29 PM »
Heard today that Clowney had one sack in the last 8+ games.
That homo linebacker from Missouri had more than that (although his sack total included the ones he made off the field).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2014, 11:06:54 PM »
By having better defensive stats?

Which he earned by being an above average D player yet he is stinking it up in the combine?  SEC and Defense in the same sentence usually means bad mofo. My point is that to win that award, he had to have been better than good at some point in the last year. What happened between then and now other than exiting the closet to make his play suffer to the point where he is already being called a bust?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2014, 09:29:12 AM »
Which he earned by being an above average D player yet he is stinking it up in the combine?  SEC and Defense in the same sentence usually means bad mofo. My point is that to win that award, he had to have been better than good at some point in the last year. What happened between then and now other than exiting the closet to make his play suffer to the point where he is already being called a bust?

A closer look at his stats game by game reveals stat padding against inferior competition. He was a non factor in the seccg.

First five games of the year he had 9 of his 11 sacks against the likes of Indiana, Vandy, Murray state, Arky State and Florida. The last 5 games against teams like Georgia, Auburn, A&M, okl state and SCe he had all of 1.5 sacks.

He's a decent player but he showed his caliber against quality linemen and offenses.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2014, 10:55:22 AM »
A closer look at his stats game by game reveals stat padding against inferior competition. He was a non factor in the seccg.

First five games of the year he had 9 of his 11 sacks against the likes of Indiana, Vandy, Murray state, Arky State and Florida. The last 5 games against teams like Georgia, Auburn, A&M, okl state and SCe he had all of 1.5 sacks.

He's a decent player but he showed his caliber against quality linemen and offenses.

Then Dee Ford or other better D-linemen got robbed.  SEC DPOY used to actually mean something.  Should not just be stats alone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

noxin

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2014, 11:41:24 AM »

I believe he scored higher in the evening gown competition
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2014, 11:47:43 AM »
I believe he scored higher in the evening gown competition

Which was total bullshift.  I thought the sequins were overdone and distracting.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Vandy Vol

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2014, 01:25:17 PM »

Michael Sam didn't have 9 sacks by the fifth game of the year, Florida was the seventh game of the year, and 4.5 of Sam's 10.5 sacks came from Florida, South Carolina, and A&M...

Anyhow, of Dee Ford's 8.5 sacks (two less than Michael Sam), 4 came from Ole Miss, Western Carolina, and Florida Atlantic.  So just like Sam, approximately half of his sacks came from relatively weak teams.

Similarly, when Ford played the likes of Georgia, Missouri, Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, and Mississippi State, he had all of 1.5 sacks.

Plus sacks aren't the only stats to consider.  Sam had 17 more tackles.  Ford has 2 tackles per game against teams like Western Carolina and Tennessee, or 3 against Ole Miss, but you assert that Sam's stats are padded because he got more tackles against lesser teams (7 against Murray State, 5 against Arkansas State) and still had good games against better teams (5 against South Carolina, 5 against A&M, 3 against Auburn).

I'm not arguing that Sam is light years ahead of Ford by any means.  Nor am I saying that Sam is better than Ford if you were to match the two against the same teams throughout the year.  But when it comes to awarding a defensive player of the year, should you not look at their stats?  Sure, there are other intangibles to take into account, but the stats go a long way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Vandy Vol

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2014, 01:29:20 PM »

I don't know whether anyone else in the SEC had better stats than Sam, but like my reply to GH mentioned, the stat comparison between Sam and Ford is pretty close; his numbers weren't accurate.  Neither player is light years ahead of the other such that one is clearly a "bad mofo," and the other is just a fag.

If there's a player who had clearly better stats than Sam, then yes, it was a travesty that he got SEC DPOY.  But if you're putting Ford up there as the evidence of Sam not being worthy of the award?  I don't see it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2014, 01:43:23 PM »
The fact Jake Holland didn't win DPOTY is a travesty and the award means nothing to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Vandy Vol

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2014, 01:46:22 PM »
The fact Jake Holland didn't win DPOTY is a travesty and the award means nothing to me.

Fact.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2014, 02:58:29 PM »
Michael Sam didn't have 9 sacks by the fifth game of the year, Florida was the seventh game of the year, and 4.5 of Sam's 10.5 sacks came from Florida, South Carolina, and A&M...

Anyhow, of Dee Ford's 8.5 sacks (two less than Michael Sam), 4 came from Ole Miss, Western Carolina, and Florida Atlantic.  So just like Sam, approximately half of his sacks came from relatively weak teams.

Similarly, when Ford played the likes of Georgia, Missouri, Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, and Mississippi State, he had all of 1.5 sacks.

Plus sacks aren't the only stats to consider.  Sam had 17 more tackles.  Ford has 2 tackles per game against teams like Western Carolina and Tennessee, or 3 against Ole Miss, but you assert that Sam's stats are padded because he got more tackles against lesser teams (7 against Murray State, 5 against Arkansas State) and still had good games against better teams (5 against South Carolina, 5 against A&M, 3 against Auburn).

I'm not arguing that Sam is light years ahead of Ford by any means.  Nor am I saying that Sam is better than Ford if you were to match the two against the same teams throughout the year.  But when it comes to awarding a defensive player of the year, should you not look at their stats?  Sure, there are other intangibles to take into account, but the stats go a long way.

OK, my numbers were a bit off (posted from phone), but you get the drift. He stock piled his stats.

And I haven't once advocated for Dee Ford to be SEC D POY. Ford did however seem to get better as the year went on. And truly showed up in the seccg, bcscg and the sr bowl - where he was MVP. Those 3 are hard to ignore. Does Sam have anything of those? When the game meant something, was on the line - against a quality offense?

My point was answering TW's question. Sam won the award on stats mainly. 11.5 sacks looks stout...but what Ford did against Mizzou, FSU and in the Sr bowl is more impressive. If were speaking from an NFL prospect point of view especially.

I also think Clowney and Moseley are up there. They don't have the stats, but the eye test still says they are top notch. I think there is a fine line with stats and intangibles, and we tend to lean too heavy to the stats.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:00:36 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2014, 03:01:57 PM »

If Jake Holland DID win the DPOTY, the award would mean nothing to a lot more people. Or pretty much everyone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2014, 03:21:33 PM »
If Jake Holland DID win the DPOTY, the award would mean nothing to a lot more people. Or pretty much everyone.
Why do you hate State Farm?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2014, 03:23:05 PM »
Why do you hate State Farm?

She sounds hideous.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2014, 03:24:56 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."