Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2014 NFL Draft...

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: 2014 NFL Draft...
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 10:38:23 AM »
Dee was FORCED to not participate. Meanwhile...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/24/clowney-skips-on-field-drills-citing-hip-flexor/
Clowney skips on-field drills, citing hip flexor
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 24, 2014, 10:31 AM EST

Jadeveon Clowney impressed everyone with his 40 time at the NFL Scouting Combine, but he won’t continue to impress in the on-field drills.

Clowney decided not to participate during the drills for defensive linemen. In a very brief interview with Warren Sapp of NFL Network, Clowney said he didn’t like one of the drills the rest of the defensive linemen were doing, on which they began face-down on the ground and then had to get up and high-step over and around blocking pads.

“I don’t like how they start on the ground,” Clowney said with a grin.

But starting on the ground apparently wasn’t his only problem with the drill: Clowney also sat out later drills in which players started in a three-point stance, and he then told NFL Network’s Willie McGinest that the real reason he wasn’t participating is that he has hip flexor tightness. Clowney did say he still plans to do the vertical jump and the broad jump.

It’s common for quarterbacks to sit out the passing drills at the Combine, but most defensive linemen do everything unless there’s a medical reason not to. Sapp and NFL Network’s Mike Mayock both suggested that some NFL teams may lose a little respect for Clowney for deciding to sit out while other defensive linemen are working.

This decision might play into the perception that Clowney is an amazingly gifted athlete but not much of a worker. Or NFL teams might decide that Clowney made so many big hits with pads on that they don’t particularly care if he doesn’t want to run around in shorts hitting tackling dummies.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 11:11:23 AM »
Clowney, the second coming of Mike Mamula.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 11:23:21 AM »
Clowney, the second coming of Mike Mamula.

WHO?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 12:34:38 PM »
WHO?

Was the first great combine workout warrior.  Played DE at Boston College and was expected to be a second or third round pick.  Blew everybody off the field at the combine and got drafted in the top ten by the Eagles.  Largely considered a bust but his career was pretty solid.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/17/the-myth-of-mike-mamula/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 12:37:52 PM »
"Officially" Clowney had a slightly better time (4.48) than De'Anthony Thomas (4.50), who beat him across the line.

…
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 01:24:05 PM »

And he was also a good yard or two ahead of Manziel (4.6) in the same simulcast fashion. I'd say it puts Clowney solidly in the 4.5 area. Although some are saying that Thomas' 40 is undervalued and not right.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 02:18:47 PM »
I think the most important issue that clip shows, is that Clowny was just as fast for the first ten yards. That is all a DE needs. And it is pretty damn impressive.

However, I watched him this year. He only did it 1 out of every 10 plays.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 03:17:14 PM »
Warren Sapp's reaction to Clowney's speed:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 04:35:35 PM »
I keep hearing this about Bridgewater but all I've seen is a schedule full of patsies the last 2 years and losses to Syracuse, UConn and UCF. He didn't throw or run any at the combine. And has proclaimed he's the best qb at the draft. Personally, all of that combined is a yellow flag.

We know what Manziel is. Would anyone seriously take Teddy over JFF with the game on the line? Dude is a gamer. Bridgewater has yet to impress against anyone worth a crap. Sorry but fla isn't worth a crap. I just think many are overhyping this kid. Maybe he will pan out. But I don't see anything at this point that screams sure fire #1 pick.

You have to consider who he's up against as consideration for "top QB."  Blake Bortles (UCF) and Derek Carr (Fresno State) also had schedules full of patsies.  Granted, I didn't watch either of them play in 2013, but I'm not aware of them being outstanding against their sub-par competition.  Statistically speaking, Bortles is behind both of them quite handily.  Carr is much closer to Bridgewater, but Bridgewater's raw and adjusted QBR was higher than Carr each year from 2011 to 2013, as was his passer rating in 2012 and 2013.

Then you've got McCarron.  Fewer yards thrown in 2013 than the three above.  Also a bad TD:INT ratio, although not as bad as Bortles.  And arguably any stats that McCarron was able to put up were mostly due to being surrounded by talent.

Manziel's passing yards are about the same as Bridgewater's but his TD:INT ratio is almost as bad as Bortles.  So statistically speaking, Manziel comes off as making bad decisions when on the run and slinging the ball.  His number of sacks is pretty high, within 4 of Bridgewater and 2 of Bortles, so there's little difference there.

The stats have Carr, Manziel, and Bridgewater pretty close, but I think Carr gets discounted due to potentially skewed stats from a Fresno State schedule; even with his solid combine performance, I don't think he's projected to go until late in the first round or early second.  I don't think Bridgewater is the clear top choice, but given that it's primarily between him and Manziel, I think most teams see Manziel as more of a risk due to his lack of size and tendency to run the ball.  For an investor, that's an injury waiting to happen.  When you combine this with a bad TD:INT ratio for both of the past two seasons, Manziel seems inferior to Bridgewater in many ways.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 07:14:58 PM »
If you're going to discount the competition of bridge water and carry you also have to discount AJ. Play two "real" games a year. Loses most of them.

When has he ever had to lead a fourth quarter comeback against a good team? Georgia? That it?

Nick Marshall did more this year than AJ has in his entire career in terms of handling adversity.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 08:13:08 PM »
You have to consider who he's up against as consideration for "top QB."  Blake Bortles (UCF) and Derek Carr (Fresno State) also had schedules full of patsies.  Granted, I didn't watch either of them play in 2013, but I'm not aware of them being outstanding against their sub-par competition.  Statistically speaking, Bortles is behind both of them quite handily.  Carr is much closer to Bridgewater, but Bridgewater's raw and adjusted QBR was higher than Carr each year from 2011 to 2013, as was his passer rating in 2012 and 2013.

Then you've got McCarron.  Fewer yards thrown in 2013 than the three above.  Also a bad TD:INT ratio, although not as bad as Bortles.  And arguably any stats that McCarron was able to put up were mostly due to being surrounded by talent.

Manziel's passing yards are about the same as Bridgewater's but his TD:INT ratio is almost as bad as Bortles.  So statistically speaking, Manziel comes off as making bad decisions when on the run and slinging the ball.  His number of sacks is pretty high, within 4 of Bridgewater and 2 of Bortles, so there's little difference there.

The stats have Carr, Manziel, and Bridgewater pretty close, but I think Carr gets discounted due to potentially skewed stats from a Fresno State schedule; even with his solid combine performance, I don't think he's projected to go until late in the first round or early second.  I don't think Bridgewater is the clear top choice, but given that it's primarily between him and Manziel, I think most teams see Manziel as more of a risk due to his lack of size and tendency to run the ball.  For an investor, that's an injury waiting to happen.  When you combine this with a bad TD:INT ratio for both of the past two seasons, Manziel seems inferior to Bridgewater in many ways.

Bridgewater against the teams Manziel played? I don't think we'd even be hearing Bridgewaters name much.

Hard to compare td to int ratios between 3 guys that have played such different levels of competition.   
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:14:57 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 09:21:21 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2014, 09:54:49 PM »
Bridgewater against the teams Manziel played? I don't think we'd even be hearing Bridgewaters name much.

If Louisville played those teams?  No, we probably wouldn't.  But if Bridgewater played at Texas A&M against those teams?  I'm not Miss Cleo, but I'd venture to guess that he'd still be in the running for best QB.  I mean, really...we're talking about Blake Bortles and AJ McCarron as potentially being in the top 5 for 2014.  This is no QB class of 2011.

With that being said, I agree that it's difficult to look at stats alone when you're dealing with players from two different levels of competition.  However, one only needs to compare the playing styles to understand why Bridgewater could conceivably be taken before Manziel.  Manziel throws on the run often due to his tendency to want to break out of the pocket, and it has resulted in many bad decisions.  Bridgewater shows much more patience and efficiency in the pocket while operating in a pro style offense.  Lesser competition, sure, but certainly fewer mistakes and a consistent improvement of completion percentages over three years.

I also agree that Bridgewater's decision not to participate in hardly anything at the combine is slightly disappointing, but everything else I've heard about the guy indicates that he has leadership skills and is a team player.  Meanwhile, there's Johnny "Money" Manziel, who has been the epitome of egotistical and childish antics.  He's a young guy, and so I write off a lot of what he does as inexperience and immaturity, but that's exactly the reason why a team may not want to take him.  There's more than just raw talent to take into consideration.

Again, I don't think Bridgewater is the clear choice here, but I don't see how it would be unfathomable that he's taken over Manziel.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

GH2001

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2014, 10:30:24 PM »
If Louisville played those teams?  No, we probably wouldn't.  But if Bridgewater played at Texas A&M against those teams?  I'm not Miss Cleo, but I'd venture to guess that he'd still be in the running for best QB.  I mean, really...we're talking about Blake Bortles and AJ McCarron as potentially being in the top 5 for 2014.  This is no QB class of 2011.

With that being said, I agree that it's difficult to look at stats alone when you're dealing with players from two different levels of competition.  However, one only needs to compare the playing styles to understand why Bridgewater could conceivably be taken before Manziel.  Manziel throws on the run often due to his tendency to want to break out of the pocket, and it has resulted in many bad decisions.  Bridgewater shows much more patience and efficiency in the pocket while operating in a pro style offense.  Lesser competition, sure, but certainly fewer mistakes and a consistent improvement of completion percentages over three years.

I also agree that Bridgewater's decision not to participate in hardly anything at the combine is slightly disappointing, but everything else I've heard about the guy indicates that he has leadership skills and is a team player.  Meanwhile, there's Johnny "Money" Manziel, who has been the epitome of egotistical and childish antics.  He's a young guy, and so I write off a lot of what he does as inexperience and immaturity, but that's exactly the reason why a team may not want to take him.  There's more than just raw talent to take into consideration.

Again, I don't think Bridgewater is the clear choice here, but I don't see how it would be unfathomable that he's taken over Manziel.

And that's my issue. He has said it and the pundits have said it - he's the clear choice. I just dont agree with that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2014, 12:12:03 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2014, 10:32:57 AM »
"Sam didn't do anything to prove his doubters wrong on Monday. He ran a 4.91-second 40-yard dash, jumped just 25.5 inches in the vertical and 9-foot-6 in the broad jump. He also proved to have stiff hips, even without pads on in defensive line drills. Players have done worse in the combine and still had solid NFL careers, but Sam's performance was among the worst of the year so far."

Sounds like most of the guys must've been wearing spandex.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2014, 10:48:18 AM »
"Sam didn't do anything to prove his doubters wrong on Monday. He ran a 4.91-second 40-yard dash, jumped just 25.5 inches in the vertical and 9-foot-6 in the broad jump. He also proved to have stiff hips, even without pads on in defensive line drills. Players have done worse in the combine and still had solid NFL careers, but Sam's performance was among the worst of the year so far."

Now you are gay bashing. And that is what's wrong with the NFL. He will not get drafted high because NFL teams think like you. He is gonna sue!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2014, 10:48:57 AM »
"Sam didn't do anything to prove his doubters wrong on Monday. He ran a 4.91-second 40-yard dash, jumped just 25.5 inches in the vertical and 9-foot-6 in the broad guy jump. He also proved to have stiff hips, even without pads on in defensive line drills. Players have done worse in the combine and still had solid NFL careers, but Sam's performance was among the worst of the year so far."

:homo:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2014, 10:59:07 AM »
:homo:
I think they should give him a break on the stiff hips part. I'm surprised that he's even able to stand erect after taking all of the poundings this season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2014, 03:23:05 PM »
Then how, exactly, did he win SEC defensive player of the year over Dee Ford?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions