Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2014 NFL Draft...

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: 2014 NFL Draft...
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2014, 01:40:33 PM »
In 1813 Thomas Jefferson wrote a recently discovered letter to the Five Forks Methodists in what is now Maine where he addressed this subject.

The letter reads in part:
...when discourse regarding superior play is undertaken it must follow that such discourse is by nature bound to be subjective, restricted by the personal predjudices of mortal man and influenced by their vagaries. Mere statistical relationships cannot fully  define the greatness of a man. One must take into consideration his competition, his peers, the relative performance of others in his same capacity and the opportunities his position allowed. No two shall ever fully agree on these variables, therefore consensus can rarely be reached. Each then is right in his analysis so long as a case with relative merit can be made. And oh, by the way? I carved the Moses statue and super glued it to the Supreme Court. If I'd known people were going to misinterpret what I meant as a simple preventative measure to disallow a papal king and use it to make children cry by ripping nativity scenes out of public buildings, I would have written it differently so the idiots would make no mistake as to my intent."

Madison, Washington, Hamilton and Nicholas Cage all penned letters of agreement.
Do you have a link?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2014, 01:41:01 PM »
In 1813 Thomas Jefferson wrote a recently discovered letter to the Five Forks Methodists in what is now Maine where he addressed this subject.

The letter reads in part:
...when discourse regarding superior play is undertaken it must follow that such discourse is by nature bound to be subjective, restricted by the personal predjudices of mortal man and influenced by their vagaries. Mere statistical relationships cannot fully  define the greatness of a man. One must take into consideration his competition, his peers, the relative performance of others in his same capacity and the opportunities his position allowed. No two shall ever fully agree on these variables, therefore consensus can rarely be reached. Each then is right in his analysis so long as a case with relative merit can be made. And oh, by the way? I carved the Moses statue and super glued it to the Supreme Court. If I'd known people were going to misinterpret what I meant as a simple preventative measure to disallow a papal king and use it to make children cry by ripping nativity scenes out of public buildings, I would have written it differently so the idiots would make no mistake as to my intent."

Madison, Washington, Hamilton and Nicholas Cage all penned letters of agreement.

:thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2014, 01:49:12 PM »
Like I said, ALL of those players played and rotated along with Dee Ford. Don't take production as a reflection of playing time either.

If a player is good enough to spend more time playing in the rotation, the stats generally reflect that.

But even if you don't want to accept that general premise and still want to argue that freshmen and sophomores were prominently featured in the rotation, then you've still got a dilemma to overcome in your argument:  If Auburn is playing a freshman DE a significant enough amount of time to impact Ford's playing, then you don't have any standout DEs that should even be considered for SEC DPOY.  You're defeating the "Ford for SEC DPOY" argument by suggesting the freshmen get as much playing time or any significant amount of playing time.

You also have no idea if Missouri rotated the DEs as much, nor do you have no idea if they rotated DTs in place of the DEs, therefore you can't use that analogy. I can though, because I know for a fact (watched it with my own two eyes) that the DEs at Auburn all rotated and two of them were also used as DTs.

Did you clock the amount of time they were in?  Got comparisons to the amount of time Ford played?  If not, then you can't argue that this alleged rotation of freshmen and sophomores who had a handful of tackles was the reason for diminishing Ford's stats.

Aside from that, you also don't know what Missouri's DEs and DTs did, therefore you also can't argue that Sam has better stats because Missouri doesn't rotate DEs and DTs, but Auburn does.  Again, defeating your own argument.  It's not a legitimate analogy if you don't know the attributes of both subjects being compared.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 01:54:30 PM by Vandy Vol »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2014, 01:51:08 PM »
Craig Sanders has a rotating shower head. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Vandy Vol

« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2014, 01:55:21 PM »

Do you think he'd let me turn it on full blast and shove it in my butt?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2014, 02:53:50 PM »
If a player is good enough to spend more time playing in the rotation, the stats generally reflect that.

But even if you don't want to accept that general premise and still want to argue that freshmen and sophomores were prominently featured in the rotation, then you've still got a dilemma to overcome in your argument:  If Auburn is playing a freshman DE a significant enough amount of time to impact Ford's playing, then you don't have any standout DEs that should even be considered for SEC DPOY.  You're defeating the "Ford for SEC DPOY" argument by suggesting the freshmen get as much playing time or any significant amount of playing time.

Did you clock the amount of time they were in?  Got comparisons to the amount of time Ford played?  If not, then you can't argue that this alleged rotation of freshmen and sophomores who had a handful of tackles was the reason for diminishing Ford's stats.

Aside from that, you also don't know what Missouri's DEs and DTs did, therefore you also can't argue that Sam has better stats because Missouri doesn't rotate DEs and DTs, but Auburn does.  Again, defeating your own argument.  It's not a legitimate analogy if you don't know the attributes of both subjects being compared.

Dude....it's not a court room.

This was a real simple premise. Tw asked why Sam won the award despite the fact the he looks inferior in almost all aspects. And my take is that is was the stats. And like you said, the fact that Fords best performances came after the award was voted on. It's not really a debate on who is better so much as it is - although someone could have been better why did Sam win it anyway? And I still stand by what I said. How a player can win an award can be the result of many factors and very circumstantial. I think that was the case here. Stats and timing were everything. Whether Sam was better or not was all decided on both of those factors.

And then there's Clowneys laziness that got in the way too. And Mosely being a bit underwhelming in 2013.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:55:48 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Vandy Vol

« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2014, 03:27:41 PM »
Dude....it's not a court room.

Logic applies everywhere.

This was a real simple premise. Tw asked why Sam won the award despite the fact the he looks inferior in almost all aspects.

Inferior based on a one day performance at a combine?  He can (and did) look shitty on combine day, but that doesn't change what he did during the 2013 season.  The award was not "Most Athletically Talented Player Who Likely Will Have a More Fruitful Career in the Future."  It was SEC DPOY for 2013.

And my take is that is was the stats. And like you said, the fact that Fords best performances came after the award was voted on. It's not really a debate on who is better so much as it is - although someone could have been better why did Sam win it anyway?

Someone may have been better statistically.  Someone may have been better in some way other than statistics (although I still argue that statistics go a long way, because you can't be the best defensive player if you're not making defensive plays, e.g., tackles, TFLs, sacks, etc.).  But advocating Ford as that "someone" for 2013?  I personally don't agree with it.  Again, not saying that Ford was vastly inferior, but simply not good enough to be clearly the choice over Sam in 2013.  Sam was also unanimously voted as first team SEC defense, so I'm not alone in this.

And I still stand by what I said. How a player can win an award can be the result of many factors and very circumstantial. I think that was the case here. Stats and timing were everything. Whether Sam was better or not was all decided on both of those factors.

And then there's Clowneys laziness that got in the way too. And Mosely being a bit underwhelming in 2013.

Indeed.  And just because a player wins an award in 2013 doesn't mean he's the best player generally, or that he'll consistently be better season after season.  I'm in no way defending Sam as one of the best players to play the game, or as the clear winner for SEC DPOY over everyone else.  I'm just saying that I don't see how Ford could be selected as "superior" over Sam for SEC DPOY 2013.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2014, 03:29:23 PM »

After his honeymoon anyway... :rimshot:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2014, 04:55:40 PM »
Logic applies everywhere.

I'll bet you are a riot at parties.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2014, 04:58:58 PM »

He's the Spock of the X
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2014, 05:09:13 PM »
He's the Spock of the X

He's the Sheldon of the X.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2014, 05:11:30 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2014, 05:43:32 PM »
Bazinga

I'll be that other one who used to live with Ellen Griswold and now gets to hook up with the moon-faced chick.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Vandy Vol

« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2014, 07:53:30 PM »

That depends on how many penises are exposed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2014, 08:44:15 PM »
That depends on how many penises are exposed.

See, that all depends on how many "dicks" show up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2014, 09:44:20 PM »
Quick comparison of playing styles:

Ford plays mostly piano, Sam plays rusty trombone and skin flute
Ford tickles the ivory, Sam tickles the brown eye
Ford pursues quarterbacks, Sam pursues tight ends

Obviously VV prefers Sam
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2014, 09:48:33 PM »
Quick comparison of playing styles:

Ford plays mostly piano, Sam plays rusty trombone and skin flute
Ford tickles the ivory, Sam tickles the brown eye
Ford pursues quarterbacks, Sam pursues tight ends

Obviously VV prefers Sam

Between the two?  Of course...but if we're talking ideal preferences, I prefer John Stamos as Uncle Jesse.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2014, 03:27:14 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs