Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Next Season Question

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: Next Season Question
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2014, 04:31:39 PM »
Even the EBSPN guys were talking about what a multi-dimensional, gifted athlete Marshall is. Honestly, I don't see this as even being a point of discussion.
See, I told you. Just like my inside sources said, Nick is still the man.

Nick is our starter': Marshall will hold quarterback reins in Year 2 of Gus Malzahn era

Jeremy Johnson Nick Marshall
Auburn quarterback Jeremy Johnson (6), left, and Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall (14) talk on the field after arriving the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Ga., during a walk through before the SEC Championship Game on Friday, Dec. 6, 2013. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com)

Print
Brandon Marcello | bmarcello@al.com By  Brandon Marcello | bmarcello@al.com   
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on January 08, 2014 at 6:35 AM, updated January 08, 2014 at 6:43 AM http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/01/nick_is_our_starter_marshall_w.html
PASADENA, California -- Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee doesn't expect a quarterback battle on the Plains in the spring.

ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit reported Monday a battle could be brewing between 13-game starter Nick Marshall and backup Jeremy Johnson during the network's College GameDay show.

"Nick is our starter, our guys believe in him," Lashlee said after Auburn's heartbreaking 34-31 loss to Florida State in the BCS Championship. "We have a lot of confidence in Jeremy Johnson but I don't see any reason for anybody to make something out of nothing."

Herbstreit briefly mentioned a potential battle for the starting job next spring during ESPN's pregame show.

"This spring, Gus Malzahn told me the other day, no matter what happens tonight, there's going to be a battle in the spring between Jeremy Johnson and Nick Marshall," Herbstreit said.

Marshall played one of his better games against Florida State's top-ranked defense, completing 14 of 27 passes for 217 yards and two touchdowns with one interception. He also rushed for 45 yards and a touchdown on 16 attempts against the Seminoles.

"I'm really proud of that young man," Lashlee said. "He got so much better each game. I thought he played brilliantly tonight. The interception he'd like to have back, the ball slipped out of his hand, probably threw it a little late, but, man, he made some big-time throws in big-time moments."

Lashlee and Malzahn have both expressed excitement concerning the prospect of Marshall's second season in the offense.

"It’s going to be a lot of fun," Malzahn said in December.

Malzahn, who just wrapped his eighth year coaching college football, has yet to coach the same starting quarterback in back-to-back years on the college level. He'll get his chance next season with Marshall, who he endorsed in the Heisman Trophy race late in the season.

Johnson was 29-fo-41 passing for six touchdowns and two interceptions as a freshman. He played in six games and started against Western Carolina because of a knee injury to Marshall.

"Watching Nick play, it's amazing," Johnson said last week. "When he's got the ball in his hands, he's unstoppable. He led this team from 3-9 to a national championship. That's pretty tough and he did it in the SEC. Just to watch him play is fun and I support him. He's like an older brother to me. I'm just sitting back and watching and learning."

Marshall finished the season with 3,044 yards of total offense, the third-most in school history. He passed for 1,976 yards and 14 touchdowns with six interceptions, and ran for 1,068 yards and 12 more scores.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2014, 12:03:53 AM »
Okay, next question...

How will Auburn replace Jake Holland? Who's going to be the man in the Middle behind Cassanova McKinzy?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2014, 05:27:03 AM »
Okay, next question...

How will Auburn replace Jake Holland? Who's going to be the man in the Middle behind Cassanova McKinzy?
Hopefully Garrett and Whitaker can get healthy enough to contribute and we land the Evans kid who will be hard to keep off the field opposite Therezie. Frost can play both LB positions right?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2014, 08:05:09 AM »
Okay, next question...

It is impossible to replace a legend.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2014, 08:22:51 AM »
Another question, how many players that wore #5 actually became a great player for Auburn in the past 20 years? And instead of retiring the jersey number, I'd rather hold a ceremony to bury it outside the stadium.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2014, 08:52:33 AM »
Even though we did lose the BCSNCG, I am still totally stoked about the Auburn football team. With the drive the coaches and the players have shown this year, I can only imagine the motivation these guys have to come back next season and really bust some ass.

The anticipation for the next season is big time same as last year but for far different reasons. Damn glad too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2014, 05:48:33 PM »
Will Trovon Reed shine at CB this upcoming season? He was rated by a lot of recruiting experts as a top tier CB coming outta HS.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2014, 09:36:24 AM »
Will Trovon Reed shine at CB this upcoming season? He was rated by a lot of recruiting experts as a top tier CB coming outta HS.
Well he can't catch the ball so naturally he would make a good CB
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2014, 09:39:11 AM »
2014....The year of the Trovon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2014, 09:53:13 AM »
2014....The year of the Trovon.

AWK wept
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2014, 10:30:19 AM »

He's still got another year left?  Doesn't he have his PhD by now?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2014, 10:52:06 AM »

He is on the 7th year senior doctorate program.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2014, 11:52:26 AM »
He ain't hurtin' nobody.  Let him stay.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2014, 11:58:35 AM »

If he was good enough for Pat Dye to recruit him, then he's good enough for me!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Come Honor Face

• Are you serious??
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2014, 12:00:25 PM »
He ain't hurtin' nobody.  Let him stay.

Neither was Jake
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"you'll be a winner today, pick a fight with a 4 year old"

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2014, 12:05:49 PM »
If he was good enough for Pat Dye to recruit him, then he's good enough for me!

audible snicker
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2014, 12:58:47 PM »
Lots of people go to school for 7 years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2014, 01:03:04 PM »

In the same grade?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2014, 01:04:21 PM »

Yeah, they're called doctors.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2014, 01:05:28 PM »
Yeah, they're called doctors.
Your brain has a shell on it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions