No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Oh the Irony
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 02:55:05 PM »
It's cold during the winter. So much for Global Warming, amiright?

http://qz.com/163636/how-global-warming-can-make-cold-snaps-even-worse/
How global warming can make cold snaps even worse
By Eric Holthaus @EricHolthaus January 6, 2014
Baby, it's cold outside. AP/Jeff Roberson

The cold air pushing toward America’s heartland is of a duration and magnitude rarely seen since record-keeping began in the 1870s. In Minneapolis, forecasters warned that all-time wind chill records could be broken, with a stunning -65ºF predicted for Monday morning.

As the record-setting cold spreads across the US, brace yourself for this conversation:

Your friend: “Sure is cold outside, amirite? Minneapolis is as cold as Mars right now. Crazy, huh? So much for that whole global warming thing, eh?”

You: “Well…”

In fact, despite the trolling of Donald Trump and other climate change deniers, global warming is probably contributing to the record cold, as counter-intuitive as that may seem. The key factor is a feedback mechanism of climate change known as Arctic amplification. Here’s how to explain the nuts and bolts of it to your under-informed family and friends:

Snow and ice are disappearing from the Arctic region at unprecedented rates, leaving behind relatively warmer open water, which is much less reflective to incoming sunlight than ice. That, among other factors, is causing the northern polar region of our planet to warm at a faster rate than the rest of the northern hemisphere. (And, just to state the obvious, global warming describes a global trend toward warmer temperatures, which doesn’t preclude occasional cold-weather extremes.)

Since the difference in temperature between the Arctic and the mid-latitudes helps drive the jet stream (which, in turn, drives most US weather patterns), if that temperature difference decreases, it stands to reason that the jet stream’s winds will slow down. Why does this matter?

Well, atmospheric theory predicts that a slower jet stream will produce wavier and more sluggish weather patterns, in turn leading to more frequent extreme weather. And, turns out, that’s exactly what we’ve been seeing in recent years. Superstorm Sandy’s uncharacteristic left hook into the New Jersey coast in 2012 was one such example of an extremely anomalous jet stream blocking pattern.   

When these exceptionally wavy jet stream patterns occur mid-winter, it’s a recipe for cold air to get sucked southwards. This week, that’s happening in spectacular fashion.   

Climate scientist Jennifer A. Francis of Rutgers University explains this process in a short video (h/t Climate Progress):

This effect has already been measured with mid-level atmospheric winds in the northern hemisphere decreasing by around 10% since 1990. Not-so-coincidentally, that’s about the same time when Arctic sea ice extent really started to crash.

The solid line is average west-to-east wind speeds midway up the atmosphere; the dashed line is Arctic sea ice extent.

Skeptical Science (the ‘Snopes’ of climate science) has a comprehensive explainer on Arctic amplification and the jet stream, for those that want to dig deeper on the subject. And, as a PSA, is a great-go to resource when situations like this arise.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 03:50:44 PM »
You do realize this is insanity don't you Chiz?

It's so hot it's cold. Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Droughts are also caused by excessive rain.
I keep my ice in the stove so it's super frozen.
The more classes I skip the better my grades will be.
The more I spend the more I have in my bank account.
The more caffeine I drink at night the better I sleep.
The more vodka I drink the more sober I become.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:54:31 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 04:01:55 PM »
One thing that I do know that can make a cold snap even worse is ice on deeez nuts.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 04:24:35 PM »

It's a global temperature warming, which causes issues in our typical climate. 

Think of it like this:

Droughts lead to the failure to produce crops.  Therefore, it is good to have rain.  However, if it rains too much, the same result will occur as a drought - the failure to produce crops. 

The global temperature is expected to be X.  When it is X, the climates of the various regions on the planet to function as A-F.  If X rises, it will affect A-F in different ways.  The South is in region D and the result of an increase in X is for temperatures to plunge due to the melting of the northern ice cap thus changing the temperature of the jet streams in both the water and in the air.  This will also result in harsher and unexpected storms. 

It's really not a hard concept.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 04:29:27 PM »

Did you bother to read at all about the polar ice caps melting causing a starker contrast in temperatures between the North Pole and the rest of the northern hemisphere, which causes jet streams to vary wildly, which causes the extreme weather we've been seeing?

Did you watch the video? Did you read through the link in the hyperlinked text that goes into greater detail (https://skepticalscience.com/jetstream-guide.html )?

I'm guessing you didn't.

And I'm guessing even if you did, you'd remain obtuse and refuse to think beyond:

It's dark, therefore a monster eats the sun at night.
When on one side of the earth vs. another, I never feel like I'm upside-down, therefore the earth is flat.
When I look at water, I don't see Hydrogen or Oxygen atoms, therefore molecular structure is bullshit.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:31:21 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 04:34:42 PM »
If this is such a big deal, why does Santa Claus and the elves not seem to have any trouble living on one of the poles? They've been there forever, so I think that we can adjust.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 04:37:25 PM »
It is when you suture up your brain so that absolutely zero learnin' gets in there because science is da debil.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 05:08:45 PM »
It's so cold out there today, the high will be "Holy shit, I can't feel my fucking face" degrees.

It's so cold, I actually saw a teenager walking with his pants pulled up.

It's so cold, I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 06:15:18 PM »
It's so cold that I saw a squirrel holding his nuts with mittens.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 06:26:57 PM »
Did you bother to read at all about the polar ice caps melting causing a starker contrast in temperatures between the North Pole and the rest of the northern hemisphere, which causes jet streams to vary wildly, which causes the extreme weather we've been seeing?

Did you watch the video? Did you read through the link in the hyperlinked text that goes into greater detail (https://skepticalscience.com/jetstream-guide.html )?

I'm guessing you didn't.

And I'm guessing even if you did, you'd remain obtuse and refuse to think beyond:

It's dark, therefore a monster eats the sun at night.
When on one side of the earth vs. another, I never feel like I'm upside-down, therefore the earth is flat.
When I look at water, I don't see Hydrogen or Oxygen atoms, therefore molecular structure is bullshoot.

Except the polar icecaps AREN'T melting. 

It's really hot in here. Bring me a blanket and build a fire.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 06:30:50 PM »

Think of it like this:

Droughts lead to the failure to produce crops.  Therefore, it is good to have rain.  However, if it rains too much, the same result will occur as a drought - the failure to produce crops. 

The global temperature is expected to be X.  When it is X, the climates of the various regions on the planet to function as A-F.  If X rises, it will affect A-F in different ways.  The South is in region D and the result of an increase in X is for temperatures to plunge due to the melting of the northern ice cap thus changing the temperature of the jet streams in both the water and in the air.  This will also result in harsher and unexpected storms. 

I'm sorry. This is insanity. Pure wackiness. It's too hot! Global warming. It's too cold! Global warming!!!

Temperatures vary AS THEY FUCKING HAVE FOR THE LAST MILLION FUCKING YEARS and iglobal warming, global warming.

It's narcissism. It's voodoo. It's bullshit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 06:53:08 PM »
I'm sorry. This is insanity. Pure wackiness. It's too hot! Global warming. It's too cold! Global warming!!!

Temperatures vary AS THEY FUCKING HAVE FOR THE LAST MILLION FUCKING YEARS and iglobal warming, global warming.

It's narcissism. It's voodoo. It's bullshit.
Oh, it's narcissism to agree with 98% of climate scientists, and not think that your non-science-related-degree-having ass is infinitely wiser in that particular field than the experts.

Ok.

What's the name of this thread again?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:08:29 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 07:45:48 PM »
Oh, it's narcissism to agree with 98% of climate scientists, and not think that your non-science-related-degree-having ass is infinitely wiser in that particular field than the experts.

Ok.

What's the name of this thread again?

98% is a fraudulent number.  Not even close to true.

My degree is in thinking alarmists are nutso. I've got a doctorate.

You're not old enough to remember the world-wide "we's all a-gonna FREEZE to death" panic of the 70s. The ice sheath was gonna come down as far as Kentucky. There would be polar bears in Chicago. Penguins in Pittsburgh. Arctic wolves roaming the streets of Huntsville. White Christmas in Orlando.

Why? Pollution. Was gonna freeze us out. So we had to put federal regulations in to change auto emissions and change how plants burned waste and so on.

Why? Government control. And $$$$$.

Now we're gonna burn.

Horse shoot.  Good work chicken little.

There's your irony. The same kind of freakos who scared the frostbite out of us are now running around with their brains on fire screaming about how we're all gonna burn. And you're buying it.

I'd laugh if it wasn't so sad.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:48:54 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 08:06:25 PM »
Is this from an accredited university?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 08:29:12 PM »
Is this from an accredited university?

Sacs hammer coming
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 08:59:43 PM »

You're not old enough to remember the world-wide "we's all a-gonna FREEZE to death" panic of the 70s. The ice sheath was gonna come down as far as Kentucky. There would be polar bears in Chicago. Penguins in Pittsburgh. Arctic wolves roaming the streets of Huntsville. White Christmas in Orlando.

Why? Pollution. Was gonna freeze us out. So we had to put federal regulations in to change auto emissions and change how plants burned waste and so on.

Why? Government control. And $$$$$.

Now we're gonna burn.

Horse shoot.  Good work chicken little.

There's your irony. The same kind of freakos who scared the frostbite out of us are now running around with their brains on fire screaming about how we're all gonna burn. And you're buying it.

I'd laugh if it wasn't so sad.

Oh come on. You know back then they didn't have the interwebs to prove all that true. You need to open your mind and see the light. Send a check to offset your carbon footprint please!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 07:29:17 AM »

Think of it like this:

It's cyclical. Not sure why you guys don't get this.

Been happening since we've been noticing weather. Man made global warming is a fad/hoax. The same as those giggling weight loss belt machines from the 80s and gluten free diets.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 07:32:58 AM »
Most scientists at one time also thought earth was flat and that blood letting worked. Science findings are often funded or based upon current politics. Always have been. Most studies now are funded to get a certain and wanted outcome.

In the 80s eggs and coffee would kill you. An alarm fueled mainly in part by the soft drink and processed food industry. The result - more people have a coke and a pop tart instead.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 10:47:25 AM »

Maybe if I put it in graph form it would sink in.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions