Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Starting QB?

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Starting QB?
« on: October 10, 2013, 05:05:13 PM »
Chatter is that JJ will start and Marshall won't play because of his knee this week. If this is true and JJ plays a lot, I know that he will lose red shirt. Wondering though, is there a specific number of plays that one must play in order to lose it? I thought that it was 1 play but in a discussion with a friend, he didn't think that is the case.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Re: Starting QB?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 05:08:35 PM »
Link?  I saw Fake Gabe Wright tweeted that, but I don't trust him.

Here's my optimistic opinion:

If NM is out for Western Carolina and JJ starts, that means Gus has very high hopes and high expectations for what we can accomplish THIS season.  Even if Frazier started at QB, we'd roll over Western Carolina, so burning a redshirt on JJ would seem like a waste.  However, if Gus is afraid of losing NM for the A&M game, that means Gus believes we can win with JJ at QB and wants to make sure he uses this game as a means of getting him experience. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 05:11:58 PM »
Chatter is that JJ will start and Marshall won't play because of his knee this week. If this is true and JJ plays a lot, I know that he will lose red shirt. Wondering though, is there a specific number of plays that one must play in order to lose it? I thought that it was 1 play but in a discussion with a friend, he didn't think that is the case.
Sometimes things are lost in translation.

They have talked about a redshirt for Justin Garrett even though Garrett played some.  In reality they meant a medical redshirt which he can apply for as long as it is before game 3.

The "true" Redshirt (or what you are referring to) for playing time is zero.  A player cannot participate in a single ballgame.  Doing so removes that redshirt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 05:13:21 PM »
Did a little looking and really can't find a definitive answer.  I saw everything from, "Can't play after the first three games of the season" to "Can't play in more than 20% of the games."  I tend to think at this point, if he plays JJ, the RS is off. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 05:13:30 PM »

If NM is out for Western Carolina and JJ starts, that means Gus has very high hopes and high expectations for what we can accomplish THIS season.  Even if Frazier started at QB, we'd roll over Western Carolina, so burning a redshirt on JJ would seem like a waste.  However, if Gus is afraid of losing NM for the A&M game, that means Gus believes we can win with JJ at QB and wants to make sure he uses this game as a means of getting him experience.
Link? Do you think I get my info from internet sources buddy? You obviously don't know that I have my finger on the pulse at AU but that's o.k.

I talked with someone today ON THE STAFF that told me this was likely the scenario. O.K., not true. But I don't have a link, other than sausage. I just heard it from a friend. Who heard it from a friend. Who may have heard it from another that you've been messin' around and that would really disappoint me.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:26:27 PM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 05:14:35 PM »
Did a little looking and really can't find a definitive answer.  I saw everything from, "Can't play after the first three games of the season" to "Can't play in more than 20% of the games."  I tend to think at this point, if he plays JJ, the RS is off.
This is wrong, what you are talking about is for a medical redshirt only.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 05:14:54 PM »
Link? Do you think I get my info from internet sources buddy? You obviously don't know that I have my finger on the pulse at AU but that's o.k.

I talked with someone today ON THE STAFF that told me this was likely the scenario. O.K., not true. But I don't have a link, other than sausage. I just heard it from a friend. Who heard it from a friend. Who may have heard it from another that you've been messin' agound and that would really disappoint me.

You need to take it on the run if that's the way you want it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 05:15:15 PM »
This is wrong, what you are talking about is for a medical redshirt only.

No Colonel Sanders.  You're wrong.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 05:16:41 PM »
You need to take it on the run if that's the way you want it.
Then I don't want you around. I don't believe it . Not for a minute.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 05:20:26 PM »
I'm thinking that it's something like if he plays for any reason, the redshirt is off. If he plays part of the season and gets hurt, can apply for a medical and there is a chance it's granted. So, GF's explaination is what I thought and Snagg's is prob the definition of a medical.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 05:35:30 PM »

Is Jonathan Wallace dead?

I see zero justification in burning Johnson's redshirt for Western friggin Kentucky.

Only reason I could see it justified is if we were playing an SEC team, or God Forbid we tried Johnson and were losing to WKU. Like you said, even Frazier should not look completely retarded against WKU.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 05:38:01 PM »

I see zero justification in burning Johnson's redshirt for Western friggin Kentucky.

Only reason I could see it justified is if we were playing an SEC team, or God Forbid we tried Johnson and were losing to WKU. Like you said, even Frazier should not look completely retarded against WKU.

Western friggin fraggin Carolina actually. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »

If we were 1-4, I wouldn't want to consider burning it. 4-1 and looking like Thuga and Bama are beatable makes me look at it different.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 06:00:18 PM »
Western friggin fraggin Carolina actually.
Frickidy frickidy frickidy frack.

That's what I meant. The Hilltoppers actually would put up a limp-wristed fight.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 06:05:32 PM »
YES!!!!! Play your best 22...ALWAYS. If the Freshman is the better 2nd string QB and the 1st string QB goes down...you play the Freshman. Jeremy Johnson needs to get his feet wet in a real game before being thrown to the Wolves, if Marshall gets dinged up again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 06:08:46 PM »
YES!!!!! Play your best 22...ALWAYS. If the Freshman is the better 2nd string QB and the 1st string QB goes down...you play the Freshman. Jeremy Johnson needs to get his feet wet in a real game before being thrown to the Wolves, if Marshall gets dinged up again.

Agreed...

...but then again, you're talking about burning a redshirt on a quarterback who already will be sitting out another year against a patty cake cupcake team in Western Carolina. 

... ... but then again then again, if JJ is a legit SEC quarterback, then he most likely won't want to start more than two years any way. 

..............though Aaron Murray could have left early and didn't. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 06:25:19 PM »
Agreed...

...but then again, you're talking about burning a redshirt on a quarterback who already will be sitting out another year against a patty cake cupcake team in Western Carolina. 

... ... but then again then again, if JJ is a legit SEC quarterback, then he most likely won't want to start more than two years any way. 

..............though Aaron Murray could have left early and didn't.
There are no guarantees. We might not have Marshall next season for various reasons nor should anyone expect Johnson to thrill us any longer than he has to unless he decides otherwise. I just expect them all to leave ASAP.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 06:27:09 PM »
If Johnson is as good as advertised he won't be in Auburn for four years anyway.  If Gus thinks he's good enough to play the rest of the season in spot duty or if Marshall gets hurt, a start on Saturday would be just what the doctor ordered.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 07:17:23 PM »
I'm thinking that it's something like if he plays for any reason, the redshirt is off. If he plays part of the season and gets hurt, can apply for a medical and there is a chance it's granted. So, GF's explaination is what I thought and Snagg's is prob the definition of a medical.
#PROCESS
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 07:19:23 PM »
There are no guarantees. We might not have Marshall next season for various reasons nor should anyone expect Johnson to thrill us any longer than he has to unless he decides otherwise. I just expect them all to leave ASAP.
Kind of luck Sani and his dates - never a fifth-year high school senior, and they leave as early as possible, hopefully before the home-room bell)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions