Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Starting QB?

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Starting QB?
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2013, 11:54:51 AM »
I totally agree on sticking with the RS if you don't have plans to use the player in some capacity the rest of the year.  So, if they just want to get JJ some PT on a BLT against WCU, forget it.  Start and play Wallace if Marshall can't go.  With regard to Kweezel, I understand playing him in 2011.  I get what they were trying to do with him because Malzahn's offense needs to have that run/pass threat at the QB position.  I think the problem was once they got him reps there, they figured out he couldn't throw the rock at all, so he was reduced to snap and scramble every play. 

I know he got criticized there too but somewhat in his defense, I think he'd have been much more successful behind the 2010 line than that rag-tag bunch we had in 2011.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2013, 11:59:35 AM »
I know he got criticized there too but somewhat in his defense, I think he'd have been much more successful behind the 2010 line than that rag-tag bunch we had in 2011.

That very well may be, but it seemed the same type of thing happened with KB also. I just have no confidence in how we have brought along true freshmen QBs in the past. And we cannot say this is a new staff, because CGM was part of that process in the past.

If NM goes down for the year and they want to switch totally to JJ come hell or high water, then I am on board. Otherwise bring him along at a pace that when he enters, he is ready to take over.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2013, 12:02:34 PM »
That very well may be, but it seemed the same type of thing happened with KB also. I just have no confidence in how we have brought along true freshmen QBs in the past. And we cannot say this is a new staff, because CGM was part of that process in the past.

If NM goes down for the year and they want to switch totally to JJ come hell or high water, then I am on board. Otherwise bring him along at a pace that when he enters, he is ready to take over.
This.

If JJ is playing in this game, that's a bad sign for NM's health on the rest of the year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2013, 12:06:22 PM »
This.

If JJ is playing in this game, that's a bad sign for NM's health on the rest of the year.

Article yesterday quoted Malzahn as saying Marshall was much better and they'd make a decision on Friday.  It really sounds like he's dinged up and they're playing a HS they should beat by 40+.  You gain nothing by putting Marshall out there is he's less than 100%.  Only question is burning the RS on JJ. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2013, 12:13:04 PM »
Article yesterday quoted Malzahn as saying Marshall was much better and they'd make a decision on Friday.  It really sounds like he's dinged up and they're playing a HS they should beat by 40+.  You gain nothing by putting Marshall out there is he's less than 100%.  Only question is burning the RS on JJ.
That's what I'm saying. I would hope JW would get the nod. No risk involved. No reason not to let NM recharge if he's even 99% or less. JJ on the other hand, the only reason to burn his redshirt is if NM is going to be out more than one game against the school for the blind.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2013, 12:16:51 PM »
This.

I can't make this connection. Maybe Nicks dinged up and they feel that he will be fine for the rest of the season AND they feel like JJ is ready to be the number two man that would give us the best shot to win in the second half of the season. We gotta have the best #2 option at qb ready in this O especially.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2013, 12:22:17 PM »
 Pinched-n-Pasted from al to the dot to the kum

The decision on whether to play injured quarterback Nick Marshall against Western Carolina will be made Friday morning.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn revealed a timeframe for his upcoming decision on Marshall, who attended practice Thursday. Marshall injured his right knee in the second half of the Tigers' 30-22 victory against Ole Miss on Saturday.

Backups Jeremy Johnson and Jonathan Wallace "got the majority of the reps" in practice Thursday, Malzahn said on Tiger Talk radio, but he hasn't ruled out Marshall yet.

"We'll have one ready to go," Malzahn said. "There's no doubt about that."

Malzahn plans to meet with offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee on Friday morning and will then make a decision on Marshall. If Marshall is unable to play, they will then decide whether to start Wallace or rip the redshirt off of Johnson, a freshman.

"First of all Jeremy Johnson has gotten a lot of reps in practice, even fall camp, a lot of reps, and done extremely well," Malzahn said. "From a team standpoint, you do what gives you the best chance of winning. Like I said, we'll make that decision, probably, in the next 24 hours of what we're going to do Saturday with our quarterback situation."

Malzahn said Marshall's injury is not serious.

"Nick will definitely be OK and we'll see how he is tomorrow," Malzahn said.

RELATED: Breaking down Auburn's options at quarterback if Marshall does not play

Johnson pushed Marshall for the starting job in early August before coaches decided to go with the junior college transfer. Coaches have been high on him since his arrival on campus. Malzahn has more than once said Johnson has an "NFL arm."

Wallace started the final four games last season as a true freshman and has thrown two passes, completing one for 20 yards late in a 38-9 victory against Arkansas State in Week 2.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2013, 12:28:57 PM »
Pinched-n-Pasted from al to the dot to the kum

"First of all Jeremy Johnson has gotten a lot of reps in practice, even fall camp, a lot of reps, and done extremely well," Malzahn said. "From a team standpoint, you do what gives you the best chance of winning. Like I said, we'll make that decision, probably, in the next 24 hours of what we're going to do Saturday with our quarterback situation."

Malzahn said Marshall's injury is not serious.

"Nick will definitely be OK and we'll see how he is tomorrow," Malzahn said.

RELATED: Breaking down Auburn's options at quarterback if Marshall does not play

Johnson pushed Marshall for the starting job in early August before coaches decided to go with the junior college transfer. Coaches have been high on him since his arrival on campus. Malzahn has more than once said Johnson has an "NFL arm."

Wallace started the final four games last season as a true freshman and has thrown two passes, completing one for 20 yards late in a 38-9 victory against Arkansas State in Week 2.
What I'm reading between the lines is that he's gonna play JJ regardless and I agree with it. We need him to compete against SEC competition this season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2013, 12:32:09 PM »
I can't make this connection. Maybe Nicks dinged up and they feel that he will be fine for the rest of the season AND they feel like JJ is ready to be the number two man that would give us the best shot to win in the second half of the season. We gotta have the best #2 option at qb ready in this O especially.
Even if he's a true #2. Wallace cannot be that far behind. We've seen what he can do and he's not completely inept. We're playing a team who lost to Citadel. A team that lost 63-23 to Samford. Not Stanford, Samford in Birmingham. Only win this year is against the mighty DII school I've never heard of, Mars Hill.

We could start Tucker Tuberville and should still win.

Why skip over two able-bodies QBs plus walkons against this pillow of a school?

The only reason to do that is if he's going to have to see more game time this year.

Otherwise, it is a tactical error to throw away a year of his eligibility.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2013, 12:36:23 PM »
Even if he's a true #2. Wallace cannot be that far behind. We've seen what he can do and he's not completely inept. We're playing a team who lost to Citadel. A team that lost 63-23 to Samford. Not Stanford, Samford in Birmingham. Only win this year is against the mighty DII school I've never heard of, Mars Hill.

We could start Tucker Tuberville and should still win.

Why skip over two able-bodies QBs plus walkons against this pillow of a school?

The only reason to do that is if he's going to have to see more game time this year.

Otherwise, it is a tactical error to throw away a year of his eligibility.
I don't know. I saw JJ play hurt and he looked like a man among boys. He has a cannon and moved well for a hurt guy.

I'm not claiming to be a great scout or anything but I can say that he looked like he has the potential that you don't see in most HS players. And then he has people that actually do know what they are talking about saying that he has an NFL caliber arm.

I'm not saying I don't like Wallace. I do. But if JJ gives us the best shot to win this season--even at number 2--I say play him.

Oh, and I think it's very likely our number 2 will see more pt this year and not in mop up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2013, 12:51:34 PM »
I don't know. I saw JJ play hurt and he looked like a man among boys. He has a cannon and moved well for a hurt guy.

I'm not claiming to be a great scout or anything but I can say that he looked like he has the potential that you don't see in most HS players. And then he has people that actually do know what they are talking about saying that he has an NFL caliber arm.

I'm not saying I don't like Wallace. I do. But if JJ gives us the best shot to win this season--even at number 2--I say play him.

Oh, and I think it's very likely our number 2 will see more pt this year and not in mop up.

Really what does this season matter?  We're not going to the SEC championship game, we're not going to a BCS bowl, but we have the chance to do that in the next two-four years when it might be nice to have Johnson fully rounded into form.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2013, 01:05:17 PM »
Really what does this season matter?  We're not going to the SEC championship game, we're not going to a BCS bowl, but we have the chance to do that in the next two-four years when it might be nice to have Johnson fully rounded into form.
#1, I say we are 4-1 and very much in the running for the SEC west. Likely? No. Possible? Absodamnlutely. Roll them bones. We can be dangerous.

And b., as you point out re when we are more likely to compete. I say next year we have a better shot than this. Even if that's the case, there is no substitute for game experience and we need to be 2 deep in any offense but ESP one that runs the qb this much. Use our best guy. It looks like we have another good qb coming in this class but its all a gamble.

I think most people are selling us short this year and I don't see that as a sound reason to not play JJ. The risk/reward works for me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2013, 02:22:27 PM »
Really this is more about the now or the SEC opponents.   It's about playing an injured or hurt WV at maybe 75% not who is better. That was decided at fall practice. hi might have a cannon but our receivers still have to run the routes and catch what's thrown. Plus, can Johnson run for 100 against a good team?  No probably not.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2013, 03:24:18 PM »
Really this is more about the now or the SEC opponents.   It's about playing an injured or hurt WV at maybe 75% not who is better. That was decided at fall practice. hi might have a cannon but our receivers still have to run the routes and catch what's thrown. Plus, can Johnson run for 100 against a good team?  No probably not.

I don't know what a hurt WV is, but I say don't play him.

BTDub....Johnson can run.  Watching the 2 in practice, JJ is not as quick as WV....I mean NM... with a sudden change of direction, but more like Cam. Tall with long strides and 20 yards downfield before you know it.  Ran for 705 yards and 7 TD's as a senior.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 03:34:19 PM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2013, 07:08:37 PM »
I don't know what a hurt WV is, but I say don't play him.

BTDub....Johnson can run.  Watching the 2 in practice, JJ is not as quick as WV....I mean NM... with a sudden change of direction, but more like Cam. Tall with long strides and 20 yards downfield before you know it.  Ran for 705 yards and 7 TD's as a senior.
Yeah posting from phone and it autocorrected,
Anything we can do to improve our standing is what I'm for. And to get there we need to be at full strength. Not saying we will win nine or ten games but this could make a difference toward that end. I expect A Malzahn QB to play one season (keed) but would be thrilled to have more. You remember what happened preseason to Trotter so we take nothing for granted.

I'm not doubting JJ's potential as a runner just haven't seen him run at all. So I look forward to it. I do see some similarities (field sight) between Cam and NM. Obviously the size and strides are different but both are very smooth in traffic.
I just don't want to see NM in a knee brace trying to play gimped up and risking further damage in any game. Rather see JJ tomorrow (with Wallace)  getting game experience for SEC play. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2013, 08:10:06 AM »

Could this be a stat padding game for Jake?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2013, 04:32:02 PM »
Could this be a stat padding game for Jake?

Saw him make a tackle, paused it re-watched it and I'll be ding-dang he made the tackle again, watched it a third time a Jake missed it that time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

jmar

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »
Saw him make a tackle, paused it re-watched it and I'll be ding-dang he made the tackle again, watched it a third time a Jake missed it that time.
I'm telling you, Jake's gonna get a timely pick six when we just have to have one...yes I'll have another IPA thank-you dear.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2013, 05:14:02 PM »
I'm telling you, Jake's gonna get a timely pick six when we just have to have one...yes I'll have another IPA thank-you dear.

I'll put a case of your favorite beer against mine.

Hell I give you double odds on how many solo tackles.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

jmar

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2013, 05:21:26 PM »
I'll put a case of your favorite beer against mine.

Hell I give you double odds on how many solo tackles.
Hold on now...Jake might make JFF leap over him maybe a dozen times thus tiring the former Heisman winner. Solos are not one of Jake's strengths however I believe Jake WILL save the day in an SEC contest that gives us a victory. I'm thirsty, what do you say?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions