Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week 2

Thoughts - Week 2
« on: September 07, 2013, 11:27:08 PM »
- I saw a lot of great things tonight.  This was a HUGE win for our program.  I'm leaning towards calling this the Resurrection Season. 

- Arkansas State wasn't Arkansas Pine Bluff Academy for the Young.  They won their conference last season.  An 8+ win team for multiple years.  Where Hugh Freeze and Gus Malzahn took their first big steps to becoming SEC head coaches.  Where a Boise State guy is beginning his ascent to big time coaching gigs.  And we beat them 38-9. 

- I'm going to wait for an SEC win, but I'm very very close to saying we are playing Auburn football again.  Real Auburn football.  The kind of football where our defense is nasty and hits hard.  The kind where our defensive line is the most dominant group on the field.  The kind where our DBs pop you if you catch the ball.  The kind where our running backs hit the hole hard and shake and bake and break tackles and score lots of points.  The kind where we have more running back depth than most teams have on their 1st string. 

- But we still have to wait.  Because there's two glaring holes in our rise to football. 

- It's official - Nick Marshall sucks at throwing the ball.  He threw 20+ interceptions last season.  He was wildly inaccurate last week, and he had some really poor throws this week.  Like numerous quarterbacks before him, I believe he will continue to struggle to be consistent and will be a liability on the field.  It's inevitable that his turnovers and costly errors will give the other team enough opportunities to beat us.  I don't have an answer.  I don't believe we can call on back ups to fill in.  It's just what we'll have to adjust to if we're going to win ball games.

- Marshall CAN run the ball.  He's small and quick and has insane straight line speed.  You know who else had insane straight line speed?  Pat White.  I really can see us just running the ball 90% of the time and running the option and beating most of teams on our schedule.  LSU, Georgia, and Alabama would be tough.  I think we could take everyone else. 

- We have enough of a running game to keep up with anyone.  We can drain clock.  We can strike in multiple ways.  We can score points. 

- The second problem is middle linebacker, and it'll be worse the 1st half of the MIss State game.  Frost stepped it up tonight.  He looked like he was starting to come around as a 5 star, 250 pound athlete that can manhandled offensive players.  Then he was ejected.  So we're stuck with Jake Holland who again showcased his uncanny ability to be a 35 year old dad who loves Auburn and somehow has been allowed to suit up as a starter.  He's slow.  He's small.  He's out of position.  He's most of what you don't want your defensive captain to be.  But he's our guy.  He's our burden.

- As for the penalty, I don't mind Frost getting called for that hit.  It is a cheap shot.  It's something I remember Tuberville defenses doing often - taking a shot at the quarterback's upper body after they threw the ball.  So throw the flag.  March the offense 15 yards.  Give the player a stern talking to and move the fuck on. 

- Tell me how it makes any sense to equate a late hit with a punch to the face?  You punch someone, you miss a game.  See Mike Blanc in 2010 for reference.  Frost was not being malicious.  He was hitting high in order to deflect the pass or get a shot in to the quarterback to prevent him from scrambling.  And now he's ejected and suspended?  Why?  How does that consequence match the penalty?  It doesn't.  It's all about the concussion lawsuits, which the NFL settled and I'm sure the NCAA can to.  Just give them some money and then make all players sign a waiver.  It's asinine that our game could be impacted next week because the NCAA doesn't want to get sued for something that happened in the past.

- We're playing pretty much every defensive lineman we have on roster.  I don't think I saw Daniel, but I saw lots of numbers and names going out there. 

- Carl Lawson is a tremendous talent, but when he was in late in the game, I watched him closely.  He takes plays off.  He comes off the ball hard and if it's not there for him to make the play, he pretty much jogs until the play is over.  He pursued the running quarterback for a few yards and then slowed up.  Maybe he was gassed?  But then the next play it was a quick pass to the side away from him and he literally just stopped.  Just stood up and walked quickly towards the ball.  I hope the coaches see that and fix it.  A 6'2 260 guy who is pure muscle and fast should be destroying the line of scrimmage every play no matter where the ball is headed. 

- If we had a passing game and a middle linebacker, I would be predicting 9 wins right now with the possibility of upsetting any team on our schedule.  It's still possible.  Marshall is very young in Malzahn's offense and hopefully will get coached up.  Frost could get his head on right and become the beast we expect him to be.  But as of right now, I'm thinking 7-5 with a bowl win to finish 8-5.  I just don't see how we can beat LSU, Ole Miss, A&M, Georgia, or Alabama. 

OTHER TEAMS:

- Todd Gurley will go down as an SEC legend.  He's right there with Lattimore and DMac. 

- Jadaveon Clowney is just a defensive end.  He's not Cam Newton.  That's what the media wants him to be though - the Cam Newton of defense.  I was watching him play against Georgia and then comparing their other ends and Auburn's ends to his play.  It is mind boggling how fast and powerful he is off the ball.  He slides through 300 pound lineman like they're a waterslide.  He is unblockable one on one.  Absolutely unblockable, and Georgia gameplanned away from him.  That's what happens to great defensive players especially guys on the outside like ends and corners.  You go away from them and take them out of the game.  Dude will be a top 5 pick.  Teams have to be drooling at what he can do even if it's only on third down. 

- Texas is getting drilled by BYU as I write this.  Mack Brown is done.  He has to be.  Who will replace him?  I'll tell you who.  Lane Kiffin.  It's inevitable.  That's his whole career.  He sucks and then moves on to the next better gig.  He'll suck at Texas for three years then Nick Saban will retire, and Alabama will have 85 5 star recruits on roster.  Then Alabama will hire Lane Kiffin from Texas.  Then he'll suck at Alabama and then be hired by the US Olympics to coach the basketball team. 

- I do not care about Michigan-Notre Dame.  It's a game for old people.  It's a game for guys that are cranky and crotchety and ready for the young kids to pay for their retirement.  Neither team is pulling in the hot NFL prospects.  Neither team has a respectable coaching staff.  It's a mid-major bout that deserves an 11am spot on ABC or ESPN2.  No matter how much Gameday and Sportscenter try to hype it up, it's still a weak football game. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Thoughts - Week 2
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 11:48:21 PM »
- I saw a lot of great things tonight.  This was a HUGE win for our program.  I'm leaning towards calling this the Resurrection Season. 

- Arkansas State wasn't Arkansas Pine Bluff Academy for the Young.  They won their conference last season.  An 8+ win team for multiple years.  Where Hugh Freeze and Gus Malzahn took their first big steps to becoming SEC head coaches.  Where a Boise State guy is beginning his ascent to big time coaching gigs.  And we beat them 38-9. 

- I'm going to wait for an SEC win, but I'm very very close to saying we are playing Auburn football again.  Real Auburn football.  The kind of football where our defense is nasty and hits hard.  The kind where our defensive line is the most dominant group on the field.  The kind where our DBs pop you if you catch the ball.  The kind where our running backs hit the hole hard and shake and bake and break tackles and score lots of points.  The kind where we have more running back depth than most teams have on their 1st string. 

- But we still have to wait.  Because there's two glaring holes in our rise to football. 

- It's official - Nick Marshall sucks at throwing the ball.  He threw 20+ interceptions last season.  He was wildly inaccurate last week, and he had some really poor throws this week.  Like numerous quarterbacks before him, I believe he will continue to struggle to be consistent and will be a liability on the field.  It's inevitable that his turnovers and costly errors will give the other team enough opportunities to beat us.  I don't have an answer.  I don't believe we can call on back ups to fill in.  It's just what we'll have to adjust to if we're going to win ball games.

- Marshall CAN run the ball.  He's small and quick and has insane straight line speed.  You know who else had insane straight line speed?  Pat White.  I really can see us just running the ball 90% of the time and running the option and beating most of teams on our schedule.  LSU, Georgia, and Alabama would be tough.  I think we could take everyone else. 

- We have enough of a running game to keep up with anyone.  We can drain clock.  We can strike in multiple ways.  We can score points. 

- The second problem is middle linebacker, and it'll be worse the 1st half of the MIss State game.  Frost stepped it up tonight.  He looked like he was starting to come around as a 5 star, 250 pound athlete that can manhandled offensive players.  Then he was ejected.  So we're stuck with Jake Holland who again showcased his uncanny ability to be a 35 year old dad who loves Auburn and somehow has been allowed to suit up as a starter.  He's slow.  He's small.  He's out of position.  He's most of what you don't want your defensive captain to be.  But he's our guy.  He's our burden.

- As for the penalty, I don't mind Frost getting called for that hit.  It is a cheap shot.  It's something I remember Tuberville defenses doing often - taking a shot at the quarterback's upper body after they threw the ball.  So throw the flag.  March the offense 15 yards.  Give the player a stern talking to and move the fudge on. 

- Tell me how it makes any sense to equate a late hit with a punch to the face?  You punch someone, you miss a game.  See Mike Blanc in 2010 for reference.  Frost was not being malicious.  He was hitting high in order to deflect the pass or get a shot in to the quarterback to prevent him from scrambling.  And now he's ejected and suspended?  Why?  How does that consequence match the penalty?  It doesn't.  It's all about the concussion lawsuits, which the NFL settled and I'm sure the NCAA can to.  Just give them some money and then make all players sign a waiver.  It's asinine that our game could be impacted next week because the NCAA doesn't want to get sued for something that happened in the past.

- We're playing pretty much every defensive lineman we have on roster.  I don't think I saw Daniel, but I saw lots of numbers and names going out there. 

- Carl Lawson is a tremendous talent, but when he was in late in the game, I watched him closely.  He takes plays off.  He comes off the ball hard and if it's not there for him to make the play, he pretty much jogs until the play is over.  He pursued the running quarterback for a few yards and then slowed up.  Maybe he was gassed?  But then the next play it was a quick pass to the side away from him and he literally just stopped.  Just stood up and walked quickly towards the ball.  I hope the coaches see that and fix it.  A 6'2 260 guy who is pure muscle and fast should be destroying the line of scrimmage every play no matter where the ball is headed. 

- If we had a passing game and a middle linebacker, I would be predicting 9 wins right now with the possibility of upsetting any team on our schedule.  It's still possible.  Marshall is very young in Malzahn's offense and hopefully will get coached up.  Frost could get his head on right and become the beast we expect him to be.  But as of right now, I'm thinking 7-5 with a bowl win to finish 8-5.  I just don't see how we can beat LSU, Ole Miss, A&M, Georgia, or Alabama. 

OTHER TEAMS:

- Todd Gurley will go down as an SEC legend.  He's right there with Lattimore and DMac. 

- Jadaveon Clowney is just a defensive end.  He's not Cam Newton.  That's what the media wants him to be though - the Cam Newton of defense.  I was watching him play against Georgia and then comparing their other ends and Auburn's ends to his play.  It is mind boggling how fast and powerful he is off the ball.  He slides through 300 pound lineman like they're a waterslide.  He is unblockable one on one.  Absolutely unblockable, and Georgia gameplanned away from him.  That's what happens to great defensive players especially guys on the outside like ends and corners.  You go away from them and take them out of the game.  Dude will be a top 5 pick.  Teams have to be drooling at what he can do even if it's only on third down. 

- Texas is getting drilled by BYU as I write this.  Mack Brown is done.  He has to be.  Who will replace him?  I'll tell you who.  Lane Kiffin.  It's inevitable.  That's his whole career.  He sucks and then moves on to the next better gig.  He'll suck at Texas for three years then Nick Saban will retire, and Alabama will have 85 5 star recruits on roster.  Then Alabama will hire Lane Kiffin from Texas.  Then he'll suck at Alabama and then be hired by the US Olympics to coach the basketball team. 

- I do not care about Michigan-Notre Dame.  It's a game for old people.  It's a game for guys that are cranky and crotchety and ready for the young kids to pay for their retirement.  Neither team is pulling in the hot NFL prospects.  Neither team has a respectable coaching staff.  It's a mid-major bout that deserves an 11am spot on ABC or ESPN2.  No matter how much Gameday and Sportscenter try to hype it up, it's still a weak football game.

I think you've been drinking. 

A win over Arkansas State is NEVER a "huge win."   A win over a team like ASU should be a cupcake win.  Should be like a stroll through the park, just something to do to put a W in the books.  You should be able to yawn through it, knowing it's in the bank before the kickoff.  Not quite there yet, but almost.  That team was not going to beat us no matter who we played at QB.  Even Frazier.  But it wasn't a snoozer blowout. 

Marshall is inconsistent, but I keep coming back to the fact that he didn't get spring practice.  Even at that he's still a better option than Wallace, AND he's got enormous upside.  The fumble was stupid and he's missed some passes, but he didn't throw the 400mph laser tonight like he did last week.  He's yet to throw an interception.  Yeah, the fumble was dumb but I saw some encouraging things.  He made the right reads most of the time. 

Will know more next week but we may have an offensive line and running game that can lean on you and grind you down.  That would be a good thing. 

On defense the team simply plays better when Holland is off the field.  They're more aggressive.  I've come to the conclusion that it's almost like me playing golf.   The more I think the worse I play.  Jake seems to be trying to think a lot. When he's off the field there seems to be less thinking and more playing the game.  Once we stopped being tentative and just got after it, we shut them entirely down.  Where was the running game that was going to rack up 400 yards on us? 

Amazingly that bunch gives us little credit.   The refs stole the game from them (despite calling 148 holding penalties on us).  Their coach sucks because he can't call plays in the red zone.  Pffft.  Screw them. 

I DO care about Michigan and Notre Dame.  It may be old man football, but I like watching the Wolverines knock that overrated bunch of leprechauns off.  I like Michigan.  I wish Michigan was in the SEC instead of Missouri. 

South Carolina losing was bad for the SEC.  Tennessee is the only team in the East without a loss now. 

I didn't think Gurley was all that.  Looked average to me. 

I like the fact that Washington State is hanging with USC.   I hope they end up puncturing the Trojans.   Auburn's offense looked better against WSU than USC has so far.  Defense seems about equal to what USC has done to this point.  (near halftime)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

oldautiger

• Resident Old Fart
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 11:55:06 PM »
Oh shit, Wazzou db just took it to the house against the pack of Trojans.............tied at 7-7......cool
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses of you need 'em." - Webb Wilder

"Auburn is no Harvard, M.I.T. or Alabama - Thank GOD for small favors" - Anonymous

I can't recommend sex, drugs and rock 'n roll to everybody, but they've worked for me. - Me

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 01:41:25 AM »
Well Wazzou pulled it off 10-7!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 08:14:03 AM »
I believe my rankings were pretty close last weekend, so I'm going to attempt to rank each position again...

QB passing: D+
QB running: C
RB: B+
WR catching: C
WR blocking: B-
OL run blocking: B
OL pass blocking: B+

Overall Offense: C+

DL pass rush: C-
DL run D: C+
LB pass coverage: D
LB run D: C-
DB: C+
Tackling: C+

Overall Defense: C

Special Teams: B-

Win: A (I decided to keep the win as a A, considering everyone in the media had Auburn losing this game and the fact that ASU isn't a bad team)

Total Team Grade: B-
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 09:31:58 AM »
Harbison said we played zone save for key third downs and in the red zone. 
We played all but those nursing injuries and Johnson so it seemed.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 09:35:37 AM »
This game was a quantum leap forward for each unit (except special teams, because they really don't have that much room for improvement).

Marshall was a much better passer this week than last and, with more reps and live action each week, he will continue to improve.  It's tough to be hard on the kid when he goes 10-17, 147yds and 2TDs.  When you're rolling up 300+yds on the ground, that is all the production you should need out of your QB.

The running game is nasty.  Two guys at 100 yds and all 3 had TDs.

The defense played with intensity and did a pretty fine impression of a stone wall when necessary.  The LB play, while still subpar when compared with other SEC teams, was actually serviceable.  Which is to say, dramatically improved.  I even saw Jake get in front of a runner and...wait for it...make the tackle.

All in all, this was a great confidence-building win for this team and I think they are going into SEC play believing that they can win games.

PS- almost forgot to mention my shock at seeing the entire 2nd unit on the field with several minutes to go in the game.  When was the last time we saw that in JHS?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 09:39:04 AM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 10:14:15 AM »
I think you've been drinking. 

A win over Arkansas State is NEVER a "huge win."   A win over a team like ASU should be a cupcake win.  Should be like a stroll through the park, just something to do to put a W in the books.  You should be able to yawn through it, knowing it's in the bank before the kickoff.  Not quite there yet, but almost.  That team was not going to beat us no matter who we played at QB.  Even Frazier.  But it wasn't a snoozer blowout. 

We dominated them at every facet of the game except for our middle linebacker.  Even our quarterback who was inaccurate and shaky hit a few nice long pass plays. 

This IS huge for us.  We fucking sucked last year.  We worse than sucked.  We weren't anything.  We didn't show up.  We were a bunch of punks who wanted to dance and party and act thug instead of attempt to play football. 

This game combined with last week shows that we're on the way back.  That we have guys learning their positions and listening to their coaches and making an effort to execute instead of just be a badass. 

We haven't dominated an FBS opponent besides New Mexico State since 2010, and NMS was 1-11 last year with their only win being against Cal State of Sacramento. 

In 2011, we needed a miracle to beat Utah State.  We were sluggish against Florida A&M and Samford.  We barely got past LA Monroe last year and Alabama A&M couldn't beat Hoover. 

This year?  We played a complete game.  Beat a team that won their conference.  A team that has won 10+ games the past two seasons.  A team that rushed for 500+ yards last week and routinely gashed teams on the ground the past two seasons.

And like you said.  We shut them down like we should.  Pretty much a cakewalk save for some poor quarterback play. 

On defense the team simply plays better when Holland is off the field.  They're more aggressive.  I've come to the conclusion that it's almost like me playing golf.   The more I think the worse I play.  Jake seems to be trying to think a lot. When he's off the field there seems to be less thinking and more playing the game.  Once we stopped being tentative and just got after it, we shut them entirely down.  Where was the running game that was going to rack up 400 yards on us? 

Perhaps that's his problem.  I think he has more to do with being too small, too slow, and too weak. 

South Carolina losing was bad for the SEC.  Tennessee is the only team in the East without a loss now. 

I didn't think Gurley was all that.  Looked average to me. 

Screw the SEC.  Let them get goat aids.  I hope Tennessee loses too.  If it ain't Auburn, then let em all lose. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

jmar

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 10:33:12 AM »
Lattimore doesn't have to be game planned anymore. South Carolina is still good enough to carry only one loss thoughout, IMO. Florida depending too heavily on Trey Burton. Tennessee's schedule is flat-out intimidating.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 10:44:55 AM »
Auburn is in shape-that's what sticks out to me.
Names like Delaine and Owens were merely roster fillers until recently. Skies the limit on these guys.
Frost suspension a abberation of the contact rule.

Without a regular go-to guy, Marshall needs a short dink and dump game to go with the deep threat, not just Prosch either. Think that will save his legs and protect him from some shots he might not have to endure. Long season. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 11:03:44 AM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 10:58:19 AM »
I saw some hard hitting from our D. Man, how I have missed that.

Our running game will provide many highlights this year.

I don't Marshall is that bad. Malzahn will get him in line.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 11:15:40 AM »
I saw some hard hitting from our D. Man, how I have missed that.

Our running game will provide many highlights this year.

I don't Marshall is that bad. Malzahn will get him in line.
I don't know that we can put up 31 ppg on average but I like our chances whenever we can hold the opposition to less than three TDs, especially with Parkey. IF Marshall can account for two TDs against one fuck up on the other team's end of the field I like our chances thus far. In some cases a pick 50 yards downfield is cool, depending on the circumstances but we need him to keep trying if only to keep 'em honest.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 01:20:58 PM »
I will never accept a world where Arkansas Flipping State is a "huge game" for Auburn. Ever.

Yeah it's their King Kong. It's their Godzilla.

But for us it's like a good 1A team showing up to play a 6A team. No matter how off that 6A team may be the 1A team should lose. And lose. And lose.

It's like LSU going to play the Buffalo Bills or Oakland Raiders.  As good as LSU may be? Bills or Raiders win. Or should.

That's why their chirping pissed me off. They aren't in our league. They could be 40-0 in the Sunbelt over four years and still the ONLY SEC team they might threaten is Kentucky. Or possibly an Arkansas team that struggled with Samford.

It's a big game for them. And that's ok.  Arkansas State will never be that to me. We would have beaten them last year too. Maybe not as easily but we would have.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 02:41:58 PM »
I will never accept a world where Arkansas Flipping State is a "huge game" for Auburn. Ever.

But for us it's like a good 1A team showing up to play a 6A team. No matter how off that 6A team may be the 1A team should lose. And lose. And lose.

It's like LSU going to play the Buffalo Bills or Oakland Raiders.  As good as LSU may be? Bills or Raiders win. Or should.

That's why their chirping pissed me off. They aren't in our league. They could be 40-0 in the Sunbelt over four years and still the ONLY SEC team they might threaten is Kentucky. Or possibly an Arkansas team that struggled with Samford.

It's a big game for them. And that's ok.  Arkansas State will never be that to me. We would have beaten them last year too. Maybe not as easily but we would have.

I do agree with you K, don't get me wrong but I do think this was a huge win for Auburn. Not so much as concerning who Auburn beat but more of how Auburn beat them. I'm seeing a rekindled fire in a D that has been lacking such for a while now. I'm seeing a fire in the coaching that has been missing for a while now. I'm seeing a potent running game that Auburn is known for that has been missing for a while now. This brings hope.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 03:53:49 PM »

Whether you accept it or not, that's where we are. The win and the body language of the team signaled to me a dramatic culture change from the steaming pile that was dumped in our collective laps last season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

bgreene

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 03:55:57 PM »
I do agree with you K, don't get me wrong but I do think this was a huge win for Auburn. Not so much as concerning who Auburn beat but more of how Auburn beat them. I'm seeing a rekindled fire in a D that has been lacking such for a while now. I'm seeing a fire in the coaching that has been missing for a while now. I'm seeing a potent running game that Auburn is known for that has been missing for a while now. This brings hope.

^^^This^^^
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Men are made stronger on the realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."

-Sidney Phillips

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 05:03:16 PM »
Whether you accept it or not, that's where we are. The win and the body language of the team signaled to me a dramatic culture change from the steaming pile that was dumped in our collective laps last season.

What this guy said ^^
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 06:16:52 PM »

EXACTLY.

LSU crushed the kids's collective psych last year. The ASU win has had the opposite effect. The importance of this blowout win can't be overstated. The game is 90% mental ...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 06:31:04 PM »
This game was a quantum leap forward for each unit (except special teams, because they really don't have that much room for improvement).
I felt that the Special Teams took a step back. A shanked punt and a really good kickoff return by ASU (McKissic took the Kickoff 9 yards deep and returned it to the 25). Hopefully that'll teach our kickoff unit that they need to assume the return man will bring it out, instead of assuming Parkey will kick it through the uprights.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 06:31:33 PM »

Exactly.  Add in the obvious improvement in conditioning and the esteemed counselor is spot on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions