Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week 2

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: Thoughts - Week 2
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 07:55:09 PM »
EXACTLY.

LSU crushed the kids's collective psych last year. The ASU win has had the opposite effect. The importance of this blowout win can't be overstated. The game is 90% mental ...

And the other half is physical?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 09:39:25 PM »
And the other half is physical?

Why yes, Mr. Berra, that is correct.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 01:16:53 AM »
Ya'll need to get up off the freaking mat. 

Wins against any of the following teams will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever be considered "big" wins for Auburn:

Samford, Troy, Arkansas State, William and Mary, Citadel, Sister Pissant of the Poor, Eastern Washington, Sam Houston State, Texas Southern, Alabama A&M, Alabama State, Tuskeegee, Alcorn State, Miles College, Tougaloo, etc.

Ever.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 01:27:45 AM »
Ya'll need to get up off the freaking mat. 

Wins against any of the following teams will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever be considered "big" wins for Auburn:

Samford, Troy, Arkansas State, William and Mary, Citadel, Sister Pissant of the Poor, Eastern Washington, Sam Houston State, Texas Southern, Alabama A&M, Alabama State, Tuskeegee, Alcorn State, Miles College, Tougaloo, etc.

Ever.

I agree if our analysis takes place in a vacuum.  If, however, you take into account the actual context of the performance of the Tigers over the past few years, then you have to recognize that this win was important. 

If you can't see that, then you're just being contrary for the fucking sake of doing so.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 03:28:21 AM »
I agree if our analysis takes place in a vacuum.  If, however, you take into account the actual context of the performance of the Tigers over the past few years, then you have to recognize that this win was important. 

If you can't see that, then you're just being contrary for the fudgeing sake of doing so.

Nope.  Not being contrary. 

There is no circumstance under which I ever  would consider an Auburn win over Arkansas State anything other than expected.  It will never be "big" in my opinion. 

That's not to say that there will be instances where an Arkansas State or a LA Monroe or a UAB could rise up and stun a bigger program like Auburn, but those instance should ALWAYS be considered major upsets.  And by always, I mean every day of the week and four times on Saturday. 

There should never be a situation where an Arkansas State is considered to be a legitimate threat to us.  Or to any of the SEC's traditional powers -- LSU, Alabama, Georgia and to a lesser degree Tennessee and Florida.  They can be threats to Mississippi State or Ole Miss or Vandy (most years) or Kentucky but should never be given any more consideration than a gnat for us REGARDLESS of how bad we may be playing. 

This is a team that's in the same sphere as Texas State, South @#%$@&ing Alabama (which can completely bite my ass as I have never given less of a fart in a warm breeze about a team than I do the "jags"), Georgia State, La-Laff.

I'm simply glad we proved that they are what I thought they were.  Not a "strong test."  Not an "upset contender."  Not an "equal."

No.  A pissant, podunk nothing to be scraped off like dirty gum on the bottom of a shoe.  And I'm glad we scraped them. 

The constant stream of talking heads babbling about a cracker jack box team and propping them up like they had a shot against a former heavyweight champion?  No, no, no, no and no.  I told all of you that before the game. No threat. Butt kicking coming.

I was disgusted that we bought into that defeatist mindset, that some even expected a tough game or a real fight.  PFFFT.  I figured we'd hang 50 on them.  And if we weren't quite so green we would have.  I figured we'd limit them to 17 or less.  And we did. 

I'd have expected about the same last year.  Wouldn't have gotten it, but at our VERY worst we would have beaten that team at its absolute zenith 19 out of 20 times (or 103.495% of the time).  That is a truth. 

That's not contrary at all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 07:31:06 AM »

There is no circumstance under which I ever  would consider an Auburn win over Arkansas State anything other than expected.  It will never be "big" in my opinion. 

That's not to say that there will be instances where an Arkansas State or a LA Monroe or a UAB could rise up and stun a bigger program like Auburn, but those instance should ALWAYS be considered major upsets.  And by always, I mean every day of the week and four times on Saturday. 

There should never be a situation where an Arkansas State is considered to be a legitimate threat to us.  Or to any of the SEC's traditional powers -- LSU, Alabama, Georgia and to a lesser degree Tennessee and Florida.  They can be threats to Mississippi State or Ole Miss or Vandy (most years) or Kentucky but should never be given any more consideration than a gnat for us REGARDLESS of how bad we may be playing. 

This is a team that's in the same sphere as Texas State, South @#%$@&ing Alabama (which can completely bite my ass as I have never given less of a fart in a warm breeze about a team than I do the "jags"), Georgia State, La-Laff.

I'm simply glad we proved that they are what I thought they were.  Not a "strong test."  Not an "upset contender."  Not an "equal."

No.  A pissant, podunk nothing to be scraped off like dirty gum on the bottom of a shoe.  And I'm glad we scraped them. 

The constant stream of talking heads babbling about a cracker jack box team and propping them up like they had a shot against a former heavyweight champion?  No, no, no, no and no.  I told all of you that before the game. No threat. Butt kicking coming.

I was disgusted that we bought into that defeatist mindset, that some even expected a tough game or a real fight.  PFFFT.  I figured we'd hang 50 on them.  And if we weren't quite so green we would have.  I figured we'd limit them to 17 or less.  And we did. 

I'd have expected about the same last year.  Wouldn't have gotten it, but at our VERY worst we would have beaten that team at its absolute zenith 19 out of 20 times (or 103.495% of the time).  That is a truth. 

Then with this said, it is obvious you have missed the point being made. Again, the "big win" was not as much to do with who Auburn played.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:34:05 AM by djsimp »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 08:28:30 AM »

You're doing a fucking number on that straw man, Rocky. 

No one is disputing that, when all is right with Auburn football, ASU should be an easy out.  However, given the anomalous garbage we saw last year, this win (be careful to read "win" and disregard the opponent) and the manner in which it was achieved were a big fucking deal.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 08:33:44 AM »
You're doing a fudgeing number on that straw man, Rocky. 

No one is disputing that, when all is right with Auburn football, ASU should be an easy out.  However, given the anomalous garbage we saw last year, this win (be careful to read "win" and disregard the opponent) and the manner in which it was achieved were a big fudgeing deal.

I don't see it that way.  Because of who they are and because I think the same result would have been achieved last year.

But whatev.  We swatted a fly. Celebrate as is your want.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 08:41:30 AM »
I don't see it that way.  Because of who they are ...

Uh...

(be careful to read "win" and disregard the opponent)

Fuck it.  It's a waste of time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 08:46:32 AM »
Hey, we can be pretty good. We would be dangerous IF Nick could consistently hit a WIDE ASS OPEN  receiver. He has a rifle but the barrel must be crooked. But man is he fast. I likes him.

Our running back play is much better and deeper than I expected. I have a feeling the same backs wouldn't get 100 yds combined under Loeffler.

Where has Justin Delaine been? We are looking stronger on the D front. Was this a "big" win? Depends on what your definition of "big" is.  I tend to agree with Wes in that coming off of last season, I'm saying it was a big win in that we needed those stops on D and we needed to roll up those kind of numbers on O in order to build confidence and improve. Big in that sense.

A win against a big time opponent, no. But I'm proud of it just that same.

I'm only asking for a bowl game but I'm beginning to think that if Nick can settle in and start hitting open guys more consistently, we gotta shot to knock one or two of the big boys down.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:48:19 AM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 08:55:11 AM »
It is not a BIG win.  It is huge for the team's psyche.

/thread
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

djsimp

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 09:06:25 AM »
It is not a BIG win.  It is huge for the team's psyche.

/thread

#winning
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 09:09:58 AM »
Uh...

fudge it.  It's a waste of time.

You're asking me to suspend reason and embrace three letters regardless of how it's achieved. 

I can't attribute "bigness" to this win any more than I'd celebrate the bigness of an Auburn win over Samford or South Alabama or Hoover or Greene County or South Lamar.   

A win isn't a win.  It's all relative to the quality.  Beating this team is something 2012 Auburn would have done.  It's something every team in the SEC with one or two exceptions would have done.  We can't be in a place where we consider this big in any respects.  Call it a relief if you will, but big?  Never in my book.

Glad we took care of business, but I'm simply not willing to break out the confetti over not getting upset by a team that isn't on our level -- even at our worst.   Others may party as they see fit. 

\thread\\//<>[[][][|{
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 09:34:13 AM »
You're asking me to suspend reason and embrace three letters regardless of how it's achieved. 

I can't attribute "bigness" to this win any more than I'd celebrate the bigness of an Auburn win over Samford or South Alabama or Hoover or Greene County or South Lamar.   

A win isn't a win.  It's all relative to the quality.  Beating this team is something 2012 Auburn would have done.  It's something every team in the SEC with one or two exceptions would have done.  We can't be in a place where we consider this big in any respects.  Call it a relief if you will, but big?  Never in my book.

Glad we took care of business, but I'm simply not willing to break out the confetti over not getting upset by a team that isn't on our level -- even at our worst.   Others may party as they see fit. 

\thread\\//<>[[][][|{
I doubt that the 2012 team would've been able to beat this year's ASU team and I seriously doubt they would've been able to beat last year's ASU team. Remember, last year's Auburn team had to go into Overtime to beat Louisiana Monroe (that was before the team quit on the coaching staff).
The "WIN" was big and Arkansas State is far from a push over, yes you read that correctly. ASU could beat a few SEC teams this year if they played them.
Also, winning is contagious just as much as losing is.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013, 10:21:38 AM »
I doubt that the 2012 team would've been able to beat this year's ASU team and I seriously doubt they would've been able to beat last year's ASU team. Remember, last year's Auburn team had to go into Overtime to beat Louisiana Monroe (that was before the team quit on the coaching staff).
Beat me to it. Kaos must be stoned out of his mind for repeatedly stating that last year's Auburn would assuredly have had the "same result" against a team that beat La Monroe 45-23, who we were lucky to beat in overtime before it all came tumbling down last year.

"They're so fast" world-beaters Oregon only beat them by 23 last year.

A 38-9 win over a Sunbelt champion who won their bowl game is what we should expect from a healthy, average to better-than-average Auburn team.

Which is exactly the point. There is reason to celebrate us being a healthy, average to better-than-average Auburn team. One year removed from being the worst team of my entire lifetime.

Lighten up, Francis.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 10:41:41 AM »
I'll show you bitches something BIG, so you'll understand.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

djsimp

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 10:50:41 AM »

Which is exactly the point. There is reason to celebrate us being a healthy, average to better-than-average Auburn team. One year removed from being the worst team of my entire lifetime.

See, it doesn't matter how you put Chizad, this point right here K seems to be missing all together.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2013, 10:58:23 AM »

We also SHOULD never be 3-9 and winless in the SEC but we were. We hit rock bottom like we hadn't in most of our lifetimes. It is what it is. People are just excited to have a team win games with sound fundamentals and win games period. That's how low we were last year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2013, 11:03:48 AM »

\thread\\//<>[[][][|{

I'd say there were a few teams last year we should've swatted but didn't. This team did. That's the point. We beat who should have. Last year we did not. People are glad to be back to the point where we beat less talented teams. Sad as it is, it's the low that we were at.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 11:24:40 AM »
I'd say there were a few teams last year we should've swatted but didn't. This team did. That's the point. We beat who should have. Last year we did not. People are glad to be back to the point where we beat less talented teams. Sad as it is, it's the low that we were at.

And are no longer at.

That was my point.  We were the bottom dweller.  No longer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole