Any PC Hardware Nerds?

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Any PC Hardware Nerds?
« on: May 08, 2013, 04:01:23 PM »
Building my own.

Started ordering stuff this week.

Most of the biggies (motherboard, processor, video card, SSD, RAM, CPU cooler) haven't been ordered yet.

Anyone with PC Hardware knowledge have any thoughts on this build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/AUChizad/saved/1xzY

By the way, this site is teh tittiez. Really easy to cherry pick parts that are compatible with your system, and really easy to run metric analysis on each part so that you can drill down to parts that meet your exact specifications and get the absolute best price. The email alerts are awesome too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Any PC Hardware Nerds?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 04:15:31 PM »
I'd go Samsung on the SSD drive plus I think you can get the 256 for $180
*edit* its $189 - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5247114&csid=_61

I'd go 16 gb of RAM and probably would do 1600 vs 1333 ...I'd probably also stick to Kingston
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8024630&Sku=K24-8994DMC

Don't care for the motherboard either, I have had problems with the Gigabyte, plus that is to expensive, you should be around $140.  I would say MSI. I just installed one of these in my FIL's computer, great setup on it.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2332609&CatId=6976

Looks like you already bought it... but any reason you went Green on the WD.  That is only a 5400 speed rate is it not? Thats slow vs a 7200 especially at a HD that size.  Personally I would have probably gotten (3) 1tb drives with 7200 at 64 cache. I think about mitigation as well if your big drive crashes your fucked.

Also do yourself a favor and get rid of that POS CPU fan and get this.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7335485&csid=_61

What are you doing for a power source?
NVM I see you got the power source, I'd say thats a little overkill 550W you would have been OK.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:19:36 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 04:58:18 PM »
I'd go Samsung on the SSD drive plus I think you can get the 256 for $180
*edit* its $189 - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5247114&csid=_61
Actually was going to switch it to this Samsung.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147164&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

But it's sold out.

This is also a viable option.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5552077&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=8BacdVP0GFs-RJtjHthlnFM1WlYE5m59pQ

Have any beef with Sandisk?

Plextor appeared to get decent reviews. Does the buffer cache not being listed on these mean anything? I understand that SSDs don't really need it, or often times manufacturers don't list it as a feature because it's so negligible? Not really clear on that.

I keep going back & forth between 250-256GB or 120-128GB.

My current setup uses less than 100, but I'd hate to be stuck. Leaning towards 256 now...

I'd go 16 gb of RAM and probably would do 1600 vs 1333 ...I'd probably also stick to Kingston
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8024630&Sku=K24-8994DMC
Ehh...I'm not a gamer. Can't imagine 4x2GB 1333s not being enough.

Unless I'm wrong. Enlighten me.

I mean, I'm not going to be killing it with Skyrim or anything. I'll dabble in a game here or there, and like having the option if I want to. But I'm not a gamer. I had a Wii, for Christ's sake.

The highest demand I'm likely to throw at it is having Photoshop, Firefox with 20 tabs open, iTunes, and maybe an HD video running.

Am I going to see a huge difference doubling up the ram?

Don't care for the motherboard either, I have had problems with the Gigabyte, plus that is to expensive, you should be around $140.  I would say MSI. I just installed one of these in my FIL's computer, great setup on it.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2332609&CatId=6976
I've heard nothing but good about Gigabyte MBs until now.

That one looks nice. Have to have firewire, and eSata is nice, but not necessary. The four USB 3.0s is nice as well.

If you can find one similar to the one you listed but with an IEEE 1394a, and I'm sold.

Looks like you already bought it... but any reason you went Green on the WD.  That is only a 5400 speed rate is it not? Thats slow vs a 7200 especially at a HD that size.  Personally I would have probably gotten (3) 1tb drives with 7200 at 64 cache. I think about mitigation as well if your big drive crashes your fucked.
Actually, I'm using this to go in my Drobo, which is essentially a proprietary RAID configuration. It spreads your data across all of the drives for protection. I've currently got 2 2TBs, a 3TB, and a 750GB. Going to swap the 750GB for this Green drive. I know 5400 isn't great, but I jumped on $109.99 for a 3TB. Speed isn't really that big a deal since it's going to basically contain my movies, and a backup of my music & maybe pictures. Basically I plan on using the SSD for all of my programs, the 750GB for all other files including documents, pictures, music, etc., and then reach out to the Drobo for my video files. They play just fine on my present setup with USB 2.0. By the way, this is why Firewire is a must for me. If I'm looking for a speed upgrade on my high capacity drives, I'm going to get more from switching from USB2.0 to firewire, no? Those are the only two outputs on the back of my model Drobo (I've had it for a while).

Also do yourself a favor and get rid of that POS CPU fan and get this.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7335485&csid=_61
Hadn't done a lot of research on the water coolers. I thought they were more expensive. I've heard a lot of horror stories about them leaking and fucking up your entire system. Are that a valid concern?

If I use that radiator, it takes the place of the CPU cooler, correct? Also, I wouldn't be able to use the two case fans I just bought, but I guess that's not a huge deal. Maybe I can turn around and sell them.

The rebate on those case fans only applied to one, that's why there's a different price for each. Maybe I can keep one and use it for the bottom fan.

Basically, I figured I had the cooling situation under control, and didn't want to go overkill. Reconsidering now.

What are you doing for a power source?
NVM I see you got the power source, I'd say thats a little overkill 550W you would have been OK.
Well, shit.

I guess there's no use crying over spilled milk, but at $60.99, I couldn't have gone much cheaper for the quality, no? There's no risk in overpowering or anything, is there?

Really appreciate your input, btw. This is what I needed before I started pulling triggers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 05:00:46 PM »
Oh, and I meant to mention...obviously I'm on a budget.

I'm trying to keep it under a grand to minimize the shit I get from my wife for ordering this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 05:07:31 PM »
Another thing about the motherboard:
The one I had has 5 SATA 6GB/s & 4 SATA 3GB/s slots. Plus an mSata slot & an eSata port.

The one you suggested has only 2 SATA 6B/s and 4 SATA 3GB/s. Am I selling myself short for expansion if I go this route? Would feel better if it was the other way around: 2 SATA 3GB/s and 4 SATA 6GB/s.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 05:24:32 PM »
Two strings walk into a bar and sit down. The bartender says, “So what’ll it be?”
The first string says, “I think I’ll have a beer quag fulk boorg jdk^CjfdLk jk3s d#f67howe%^U r89nvy~~owmc63^Dz x.xvcu”
 â€œPlease excuse my friend,” the second string says. “He isn’t null-terminated".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 05:27:31 PM »
Roses are #FF0000 , Violets are #0000FF , All my base belongs to you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 05:28:02 PM »
My best advice is to make certain that the quadulator circuit is modified to sync with the diabolical centrifugal modulation unit. It can be a bear to resume normal ops if not synced correctly in phase 1 of the initial startup.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 05:37:21 PM »
I know you're not a fan of Gigabyte, but what about this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128546&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Can get it for $114.99.

By the way, yes I am a tard. Firewire is slower than USB 2.0. I was thinking original USBs, but I'm pretty sure the drobo has 2.0. Derp.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 05:46:59 PM »
your tweets will be screaming...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 05:57:45 PM »
Nick Burns, the company computer guy
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 06:13:59 PM »
Which brand of memory do you think would be best to buy if you were making your computer RIAA-proof?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 06:42:31 PM »
If I go big with the water cooler, I may as well go big with the dual fan that fits my case, no?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181032&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Or could I use one of the fans I bought, and the one radiator you suggested with my case? Thoughts?

By the way, keep checking the link in the OP for my latest build. It's static.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 10:20:32 PM »
13 words. Flux capicatater.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:20:51 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 09:20:38 AM »
I know you're not a fan of Gigabyte, but what about this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128546&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Can get it for $114.99.

By the way, yes I am a tard. Firewire is slower than USB 2.0. I was thinking original USBs, but I'm pretty sure the drobo has 2.0. Derp.
It's not that I hate Gigabyte, I have heard good things about their motherboards.  I just had problems with the one I had (actually two) because I took it back and had the same problem with the second one.  My computer would intermittently freeze.  I ended up swapping for an ASUS.  My initial thoughts on the first MOBO you had was that it was too expensive. If you can get that one at $114 I'd say go for it.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 09:25:24 AM »
Definitely DO NOT go 4 sticks of 2gb RAM.  If you only want to go with 8GB thats fine but get 2 sticks of 4GB.  That way if you want to go 16GB later you only need to buy another 8GB (2x4GB)

I am not a huge gamer either but, I am huge proponent of RAM.  I would take a lesser CPU if it meant I couldn't go 16GB or more of RAM.  I multitask a lot on my computers, and I always have multiple programs or windows open that = ++RAM. So I always go overkill.  Plus with any kind of movie manipulation the more RAM the better.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 09:40:20 AM »
If I go big with the water cooler, I may as well go big with the dual fan that fits my case, no?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181032&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Or could I use one of the fans I bought, and the one radiator you suggested with my case? Thoughts?

By the way, keep checking the link in the OP for my latest build. It's static.
The main thing I don't understand that I'd like some info on is the water cooling.

I already ordered the two case fans. I can return them if I need to, but I'll have to pay a restocking fee, and have to deal with shipping. Luckily I bought them through NewEgg, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. But I need to know soon, because they've already been delivered, and I need to either apply for the rebate for the one, or return them. Or maybe just return one.

I guess this is what I need clarification on:

With the case I bought, can I get one 152mm long liquid cooling radiator in one of the fan ports on the top, and then install one of those 140mm case fans that I bought for the other port? Or will they not fit together? OR should I just spend twice as much and go for the dual fan 275mm radiator that this was clearly designed for?

Regardless, I can only use a 120mm fan on the bottom, so I can't use those fans I bought anywhere else.

Unless...can I install the 140mm fans on one of those radiators, and use the one it comes with for the bottom?

Any clarification on the ramblings above would be much appreciated.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 09:40:29 AM »
Have any beef with Sandisk?

Plextor appeared to get decent reviews. Does the buffer cache not being listed on these mean anything? I understand that SSDs don't really need it, or often times manufacturers don't list it as a feature because it's so negligible? Not really clear on that.

I keep going back & forth between 250-256GB or 120-128GB.
If you can afford the 256 go for it.  I have no problems with SanDisk.  I am not a big "brand name guy" for the sake of a name, but when it comes to certain pieces of equipment I am.  I stick to companies that are known for what they are producing or are reliable companies.  For instance I have a Intel 128GB SSD with WIN7 and Adobe Suites on it on my PC at home and thats it.  The rest of my programs are spread across the independent 4x 1-TB I have. On my Mac I have a 256 Samsung SSD.  If I could have afforded it at the time I would have gone with the 256 on my home PC but they were way more then they are now.  What I'm getting at is the size is up to you  (or the puerto rican ;) ) The rest I would stick to a company that is known for their flash drives, because IMO it is the most important aspect of your PC. I would spend more money to get a brand name and scale back somewhere else if need be.

Actually, I'm using this to go in my Drobo, which is essentially a proprietary RAID configuration. It spreads your data across all of the drives for protection. I've currently got 2 2TBs, a 3TB, and a 750GB. Going to swap the 750GB for this Green drive. I know 5400 isn't great, but I jumped on $109.99 for a 3TB. Speed isn't really that big a deal since it's going to basically contain my movies, and a backup of my music & maybe pictures. Basically I plan on using the SSD for all of my programs, the 750GB for all other files including documents, pictures, music, etc., and then reach out to the Drobo for my video files. They play just fine on my present setup with USB 2.0. By the way, this is why Firewire is a must for me. If I'm looking for a speed upgrade on my high capacity drives, I'm going to get more from switching from USB2.0 to firewire, no? Those are the only two outputs on the back of my model Drobo (I've had it for a while).
You will just find that disk indexing or when you go to that drive it may take the computer a bit to find it.  But makes sense.

Hadn't done a lot of research on the water coolers. I thought they were more expensive. I've heard a lot of horror stories about them leaking and fucking up your entire system. Are that a valid concern?

If I use that radiator, it takes the place of the CPU cooler, correct? Also, I wouldn't be able to use the two case fans I just bought, but I guess that's not a huge deal. Maybe I can turn around and sell them.

The rebate on those case fans only applied to one, that's why there's a different price for each. Maybe I can keep one and use it for the bottom fan.

Basically, I figured I had the cooling situation under control, and didn't want to go overkill. Reconsidering now.
I love that corsair water cooler, it is the same one I have in my machine.  Probably one of the best investments I made.  Thats a damn good price too I paid $99 for mine.   I saw you bought the other case fans, those should still fit into the machine.  Cases today have multiple spots for fans.  I know my case can fit like up to 6 or 7 fans.  You should be fine with the ones you bought.  Flip one of them around to pull air out as well.

I guess there's no use crying over spilled milk, but at $60.99, I couldn't have gone much cheaper for the quality, no? There's no risk in overpowering or anything, is there?
No risk in overpowering no, however you might notice a kick in your electric bill believe it or not 750W is a beast. You will be fine though otherwise.

Really appreciate your input, btw. This is what I needed before I started pulling triggers.
NP  :thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 09:43:37 AM »
Definitely DO NOT go 4 sticks of 2gb RAM.  If you only want to go with 8GB thats fine but get 2 sticks of 4GB.  That way if you want to go 16GB later you only need to buy another 8GB (2x4GB)

I am not a huge gamer either but, I am huge proponent of RAM.  I would take a lesser CPU if it meant I couldn't go 16GB or more of RAM.  I multitask a lot on my computers, and I always have multiple programs or windows open that = ++RAM. So I always go overkill.  Plus with any kind of movie manipulation the more RAM the better.
I'm dyslexic. I typed 4x2GB RAM. I meant 2x4GB RAM. Roughly 3/4 or 79.2%.

But I will take your suggestions into consideration. You think 2x8GB is the way to go for expansion? I read that more sticks is better than more speed for multitasking. Maybe I misinterpreted what I read.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions