Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Any PC Hardware Nerds?

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: Any PC Hardware Nerds?
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2013, 04:15:50 PM »
Thoughts on picking up something like this to fill one of those 5.25" drive bays?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992005
Looks nice. Or, I could come over and fill it with my erect penis.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2013, 04:25:40 PM »
Meh, I changed my mind. Looks like it makes a cable mess in your case. Not into that.

Plus I'd rather fill it with WiregrassTiger's erect penis.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2013, 04:35:20 PM »
Meh, I changed my mind. Looks like it makes a cable mess in your case. Not into that.

Plus I'd rather fill it with WiregrassTiger's erect penis.
:thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2013, 04:36:55 PM »
 :monkey:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2013, 12:40:43 AM »
Now this motherfucking conversation is going somewhere interesting.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2013, 02:22:25 PM »
Only two pieces left of the puzzle.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/AUChizad/saved/1xzY

I kept telling myself I was going to hold out for Memorial Day weekend. Was hoping for some mega-sale.

I've bought everything up except the video card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125444&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

And the processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Video card has a $10 rebate that ends on 5/31 and the processor has a $10 promo that ends on 5/20.

Do I gamble and hope for a lower price or do I pull the trigger this week?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 03:34:20 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2013, 02:47:07 PM »
pull the trigger.  no matter what happens whether it is next week or months from now consumers seem never to win on a consistent basis. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2013, 05:27:47 PM »
Input welcome on this topic as well:

Go ahead and jump on Windows 8?

Conventional wisdom is this is the Me/Vista of today.

Most people seem to think it's great for tablets & touchscreens, but sucks without it.

However, I've gotten the vibe that it's overall a better OS than Windows 7. That it's basically the same, with a few performance enhancing features (such as faster bootup and a better usage of SSDs).

I'm thinking if I already had 7, I'd just stick with it, but since I'm starting fresh, I don't see why not to go with the latest build. They just announced today that what was rumored to be the next version will actually just be an 8.1 Service Pack offered for free to anyone on Windows 8.

Supposedly, amongst other things, it will fix the #1 complaint, which is that they took away the Start Button and replaced it with the "Start Screen", which is the flashy interface. However, I've seen where you can download 3rd party software now to correct that problem (http://www.areaguard.com/startw8).

Seems like if I'm starting from scratch, I might as well go for 8, get the 8.1 upgrade, and not have to worry about upgrading again until I really need to.

Now, speaking of this...anyone have an MSDN license?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2013, 06:03:10 PM »

Conventional wisdom is this is the Me/Vista of today.

Most people seem to think it's great for tablets & touchscreens, but sucks without it.

However, I've gotten the vibe that it's overall a better OS than Windows 7. That it's basically the same, with a few performance enhancing features (such as faster bootup and a better usage of SSDs).

I'm thinking if I already had 7, I'd just stick with it, but since I'm starting fresh, I don't see why not to go with the latest build. They just announced today that what was rumored to be the next version will actually just be an 8.1 Service Pack offered for free to anyone on Windows 8.

Supposedly, amongst other things, it will fix the #1 complaint, which is that they took away the Start Button and replaced it with the "Start Screen", which is the flashy interface. However, I've seen where you can download 3rd party software now to correct that problem (http://www.areaguard.com/startw8).

Seems like if I'm starting from scratch, I might as well go for 8, get the 8.1 upgrade, and not have to worry about upgrading again until I really need to.

Now, speaking of this...anyone have an MSDN license?
I don't have a MSDN but do have a CDL and motorcycle license. I also have a pistol carry permit but I'm not sure if that would help you.

I receommend IBM Selectric for letters and such. I use excel spreadsheet some but I think there are better operating systems on the market, like word perfect or quick books. You may want to do a price comparison to see which is in your budget.

One of the best values I've seen is Google. It's a free service and I just started using it but it's great.

If you are into gaming and such, I highly recommend Atari. Space Invaders and Astroids are my personal favs.

Feel free to pm me with any other computer related questions. Would you like to be on my buddy list?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2013, 07:21:24 PM »
I don't have a MSDN but do have a CDL and motorcycle license. I also have a pistol carry permit but I'm not sure if that would help you.

I receommend IBM Selectric for letters and such. I use excel spreadsheet some but I think there are better operating systems on the market, like word perfect or quick books. You may want to do a price comparison to see which is in your budget.

One of the best values I've seen is Google. It's a free service and I just started using it but it's great.

If you are into gaming and such, I highly recommend Atari. Space Invaders and Astroids are my personal favs.

Feel free to pm me with any other computer related questions. Would you like to be on my buddy list?
All of this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2013, 08:32:45 PM »

Fuck Windoze, go with Fedora 18.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2013, 09:32:56 AM »

NO
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2013, 09:56:15 AM »
NO
Care to elaborate?

Everyone I've talked to in person seems to be saying this, but most if not all of them haven't used it.

Reading forums, subreddits, etc., it seems that the impression that it is terrible is way overblown, and that in reality it's everything that Windows 7 is, plus improvements such as performance enhancements, more support for multi-monitor displays (such as multiple desktop wallpapers), minus a toolbar, which as I mentioned, can already be replaced, and will be replaced natively with the free update coming soon.

I'm not seeing a lot of convincing arguments besides fanboys just assuming that every other version of Windows sucks and the start menu takes getting used to (unless you download a third party enhancement, in which case it's completely not an issue at all). Seems like people don't want to make the upgrade and want to convince themselves that they made the right decision. Of course, the flip to that are people that made the upgrade and want to convince themselves that it was worth it. The sense I'm getting, like I said, is not to make the jump if you don't have to, but if you're starting from scratch on a new system, why the hell not?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2013, 10:01:16 AM »
I have used it.  We have it here to play with at work.  If you are used to any kind of Windows Operating System since XP it is totally fucking different.  To use the word hate is to be nice, I think it is a nightmare of EPIC proportions, that is really going to cost Microsoft. 

It is not user friendly at all IMO, decent operating system for a touchscreen I guess. It takes sometimes 3 to 4 clicks to do things that use to take 1.  Have at it if you want, I'd stay the fuck away from it.  I have already removed it from 3 peoples systems who got it free with their computer and wanted to roll back to 7.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2013, 10:53:05 AM »
I heard with Win8, you have to configure a "START" icon and command for the GUI. Fuck Windoze.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57496506-292/how-to-get-the-start-menu-back-in-windows-8/

From the comments, LMAO!

Mark Mac
Jan 3, 2013

I downloaded and installed the Classic Shell - BIG MISTAKE.

For a start, I got a plethora of unwanted extras which was promised all could be uninstalled. Not !! Still trying to uninstall Shopping Sidekick Plugin.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Then Internet Explorer stopped working and screwed up my mouse movement.

I think a system restore will fix things.

Mark MAC

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:58:51 AM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2013, 06:15:23 AM »
Fuck Win8 hard.  In da mouf.  Really hard.  They finally got shit right and came out with Win7, so it is beyond me why they went to 8.  I guess they are trying to get on the tablet bandwagon, but I think that they are screwing up by putting all of their eggs in one basket.  It isn't going to get put on anything that will amount to much competition to an iPad, so they're pissing in the wind.  We are about to purchase 30 new laptops at work for our cars, and if we can't get a Win7 rollback, we're wiping them clean and loading Win7.  And that isn't fun.         
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2013, 10:54:35 AM »
She's Done!!!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2013, 11:04:05 AM »
She's Done!!!

Sweet! I especially like the lava lamp.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2013, 11:20:44 AM »
That's a thing of beauty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2013, 01:30:20 PM »
RIAA will enjoy that free evidence.  It's nice though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions