Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Any PC Hardware Nerds?

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Any PC Hardware Nerds?
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 09:48:13 AM »
The main thing I don't understand that I'd like some info on is the water cooling.

I already ordered the two case fans. I can return them if I need to, but I'll have to pay a restocking fee, and have to deal with shipping. Luckily I bought them through NewEgg, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. But I need to know soon, because they've already been delivered, and I need to either apply for the rebate for the one, or return them. Or maybe just return one.

I guess this is what I need clarification on:

With the case I bought, can I get one 152mm long liquid cooling radiator in one of the fan ports on the top, and then install one of those 140mm case fans that I bought for the other port? Or will they not fit together? OR should I just spend twice as much and go for the dual fan 275mm radiator that this was clearly designed for?

Regardless, I can only use a 120mm fan on the bottom, so I can't use those fans I bought anywhere else.

Unless...can I install the 140mm fans on one of those radiators, and use the one it comes with for the bottom?

Any clarification on the ramblings above would be much appreciated.

See my post above.  You should be fine with the extra fans you bought.   Opposite of my power supply observation. You can never have to much cooling.  Like I said flip one around to pull air out as well. 

I didn't look directly at the case you bought or were buying, but most tower cases have 2 spots for fans on the door side that is above the CPU. Then they have the back slot (this is where the CPU cooler fan will go).  Usually 1 or 2 slots for fans on top and then 1 slot in the front.  You can also place one of those fans directly on top of (or in-between) your hard drives to help keep those as cool as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 09:50:43 AM »
I'm dyslexic. I typed 4x2GB RAM. I meant 2x4GB RAM. Roughly 3/4 or 79.2%.

But I will take your suggestions into consideration. You think 2x8GB is the way to go for expansion? I read that more sticks is better than more speed for multitasking. Maybe I misinterpreted what I read.

If you are only doing (2x4GB) now then for expansion (2x4GB) later would be fine. 

If you are going 16GB now then I would do (2x8GB) yes, because then later you could go an additional (2x8GB) for 32GB.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 09:59:54 AM »
I love that corsair water cooler, it is the same one I have in my machine.  Probably one of the best investments I made.  Thats a damn good price too I paid $99 for mine.   I saw you bought the other case fans, those should still fit into the machine.  Cases today have multiple spots for fans.  I know my case can fit like up to 6 or 7 fans.  You should be fine with the ones you bought.  Flip one of them around to pull air out as well.
I typed that out above this post before reading this. My case comes with 2 120mm fans on the front preinstalled, 1 120mm fan on the back preinstalled, and spots for a 120mm fan on the bottom, and the top spot is kind of interesting. Can fit a dual radiator, or a pair of 120mm or 140mm fans. May want to take a look at it. Will be clearer than me trying to explain it. Or maybe this Asian Lady can do a better job. (Skip to 2:48)

So what I need to know is:
A) Do I get a single fan radiator and an extra fan? If so can my 140mm fan fit in with the 152mm radiator?
B) Do I get the 275mm radiator and fuck both the fans?

No risk in overpowering no, however you might notice a kick in your electric bill believe it or not 750W is a beast. You will be fine though otherwise.
Uggh...that sucks.

According to the features list on NewEgg, the power supply I bought has:
ErP compliant for low power usage in standby

Active Power Factor Correction (PFC) to effectively regulate input voltage

Think that'll help? I don't really understand what that means, but it sounds to me like if I'm only running 450W worth of equipment, it will correct the wattage to that? Hopefully that will pull my power bill back to around where it would be with a 550W. Maybe not. I dunno.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 10:08:37 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 10:09:36 AM »
Seriously though, I like that fuckin case....that is really nice.

Let me go back and look at the fans you already bought, I never really looked at those.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 10:18:13 AM »
You just got those (2) 140 mm case fans right?   For $16 total.  Really not worth sending back or worrying about.  I would stick those two bastards right in the top slots that she pointed out in the video.  That will leave you with one extra fan (the one that comes with the machine that you removed fo the CPU cooler)  I would just save that one...fans die pretty regularly. 

Or you could drop it in the bottom slot, but I don't think you need it.

You will have way more cooling then I have and I am pretty much running this exact machine, save for I have 16GB RAM and a slightly stronger graphics card.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 10:28:01 AM »
I really don't know why you are putting this much thought and money into something you know the government is going to confiscate for your piracy trial?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 10:30:15 AM »
Why do Java developers wear glasses?

Because they don't C#.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 10:53:08 AM »
You just got those (2) 140 mm case fans right?   For $16 total.  Really not worth sending back or worrying about.  I would stick those two bastards right in the top slots that she pointed out in the video.  That will leave you with one extra fan (the one that comes with the machine that you removed fo the CPU cooler)  I would just save that one...fans die pretty regularly. 

Or you could drop it in the bottom slot, but I don't think you need it.

You will have way more cooling then I have and I am pretty much running this exact machine, save for I have 16GB RAM and a slightly stronger graphics card.
I don't understand...

My original plan was to pop the 140mm fans in the top spot.

The liquid cooler would take up at least one of those spots, no? Not even sure that I can use one for the radiator and one for the fan.

Are you saying that I can use the 140mm fans and lay the radiator on top of one? Can I attach one of the 140mm fans to the radiator? And you're saying take the 120mm fan that comes with it and just either save it or put it in the bottom slot?

Why do Java developers wear glasses?

Because they don't C#.
Just curious: Do you get any of these jokes, or did you google them? They actually do all make sense and are mildly humorous.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 11:15:34 AM »
Ooohhh...I think I get what you were saying now.

Put the radiator on the 120mm back slot that already comes with a fan. I thought you had to put them in the top slot.

Also thought the back fan was always used for exhaust...
I guess I'll point the two front fans in, the two top fans out, and the back fan for this radiator. Is that what you're suggesting?

It looks like that's what this guy is doing...

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/NZXT-Tempest-410-Elite-Mid-Tower-Case-Review/Installation-and-Case-Cooling
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:19:27 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 11:22:33 AM »
Do you get any of these jokes, or did you google them? They actually do all make sense and are mildly humorous.
I realize this was probably intended for one of the less tech savvy individuals on this board but I would personally have found this offensive. I found these jokes slap my knee and shit my pants funny. I can barely contain myself.

But, computer jokes always do that to me.

I laughed so hard my pocket protector fell out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 11:35:46 AM »
BTW. If I'm doing the Corsair H50, I need to move on it today. Last day to get $10 back.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 01:48:17 PM »
tl;dc
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

chinook

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 03:10:23 PM »
all of this to make twitter fast.  wow.  just wow. 

yo snaggles...i appreciated your input in this thread. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 03:20:41 PM »
all of this to make twitter fast.  wow.  just wow. 

yo snaggles...i appreciated your input in this thread.

Thanks man.  A Trojan Virus to all the haters.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 03:40:32 PM »
Ooohhh...I think I get what you were saying now.

Put the radiator on the 120mm back slot that already comes with a fan. I thought you had to put them in the top slot.

Also thought the back fan was always used for exhaust...
I guess I'll point the two front fans in, the two top fans out, and the back fan for this radiator. Is that what you're suggesting?

It looks like that's what this guy is doing...

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/NZXT-Tempest-410-Elite-Mid-Tower-Case-Review/Installation-and-Case-Cooling

Yes this is the general gist..  The Corsair comes with a fan system and cooler.  The cooler snaps onto the CPU and then the other part goes where the back case fan is.  I suppose you could also put it in the top.  Either way you should end up with one extra fan.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 03:42:20 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 05:25:52 PM »
Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck.

I had these in my cart.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148663

Had a coupon code that knocked off an extra $13.

Before I could complete the order, they sold out. This was exactly what I needed. Goddammit...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2013, 12:44:39 AM »
I used to build my own computers, but that was back when you could steal operating systems.

Now, we do everything on a couple of laptops and one old desktop.

The kids hardly ever use a computer any longer. They have iPhones.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2013, 04:06:38 PM »
Thoughts on picking up something like this to fill one of those 5.25" drive bays?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992005
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions