Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Monday Rumor Mill: Malzhan, Smart, and Chad Morris?

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Monday Rumor Mill: Malzhan, Smart, and Chad Morris?
« on: December 03, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »
http://247sports.com/Board/59457/Monday-Rumor-Mill-14613169.

* AuburnUndercover reports Auburn has interviewed Gus Malzahn and will interview Kirby Smart and Chad Morris (Clemson's OC). A decision is expected Wednesday.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

The Six

• My Linktree
Re: Monday Rumor Mill: Malzhan, Smart, and Chad Morris?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 12:49:50 PM »
Kirby Smart or Chad Morris.

Why do either of those feel like we have become Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, or Mississippi State?   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 12:53:51 PM »
Kirby Smart or Chad Morris.

Why do either of those feel like we have become Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, or Mississippi State?

We can't expect to rise to those heights so soon.  After all, we were Ole Miss' Homecoming game this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 01:07:15 PM »
Kirby Smart

I could warm to Smart.  Of all the coordinators, I think he's the  most qualified. 

However, if we are down to the coordinators on our list, it means we either didn't interview, or were rejected by, much more qualified people.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 01:13:54 PM »
I could warm to Smart.  Of all the coordinators, I think he's the  most qualified. 

However, if we are down to the coordinators on our list, it means we either didn't interview, or were rejected by, much more qualified people.

Why? 

What has Kirby Smart done to warrant any excitement at all? 

He's gotten zero press.  Will Muschamp was a hot head who would bring fire, intensity, and energy to his team.

What is Kirby Smart going to bring besides being next to Nick Saban all game long?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 01:13:58 PM »
I think Smart stays put at Bama, and gets a sizeable raise.  I hope that behind the scenes there is a "coach in waiting" type thing going on.  Saban only has another 3 years left at the most probably.  If Smart were to go to AU, that would be a big blow to Alabama as far as coaches, and recruits.  According to Tidesports, AU has requested permission to speak to Smart, but TS hasn't confirmed whether an interview has been setup. 

I know that most AU fans want a proven rock star coach, but I think Smart could do well at AU.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 01:22:40 PM »
Why? 

He's gotten zero press.  Will Muschamp was a hot head who would bring fire, intensity, and energy to his team.

What is Kirby Smart going to bring besides being next to Nick Saban all game long?

Compared to Malzhan and Morris?  Smart is like Vince Lombardi.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 01:26:16 PM »
Compared to Malzhan and Morris?  Smart is like Vince Lombardi.

Malzhan's been a head coach and won his league and going to a bowl. Morris? He's guided an offense for a team with not much defense and he's whipped our cans a couple times. Smart? He's survived working with Saban longer than most so I suppose that's something but I, like RWS, think he stays put.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 01:30:32 PM »
Malzhan's been a head coach and won his league and going to a bowl. Morris? He's guided an offense for a team with not much defense and he's whipped our cans a couple times. Smart? He's survived working with Saban longer than most so I suppose that's something but I, like RWS, think he stays put.

Three years ago, Morris was coaching High School.  Three.  Do you really want a guy who could be recruiting people he coached when they were freshmen to be the head of your program?

And kicking Auburn's ass?  Nothing to write home about.

Malzhan?  Meh.  Thanks for 2010.  But what about the other ass kickings, when we didn't have Cam?

I would take Smart over Malzhan and Morris no question.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »
I think that another thing that worries me is that if Smart somehow ended up at AU, I would imagine he's bringing a variation of Saban's defense with him.  He knows it inside out.  Saban has stated numerous times that he lets Smart run it totally because he is that good, and they share the same philosophies.  I don't want that at Auburn.  I think that you would see a huge dropoff in Alabama's defense.  The only downside for AU is that it would take a few years to get the right guys in to run that defense. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 01:37:16 PM »
He's not my first choice by any means but I could get behind Malzahn.  9-3 in his first year as a head coach.  Scored 36 a game and gave up 25.  Not great numbers on paper but a little skewed by giving up 57 to Oregon and 42 to Nebraska. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 01:38:46 PM »
Smart and Morris are 2nd options. Arky has been turned down by 5 coaches already. This is why you interview 6-7 people for process sake. I wouldn't get my panties in a wad over Morris being interviewed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 01:42:08 PM »
Meh on all three. Fuck this shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 01:44:39 PM »
Meh on all three. Fuck this shit.

Bank on this: if one of those 3 gets it, it's because someone else turned it down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 01:49:39 PM »
Bank on this: if one of those 3 gets it, it's because someone else turned it down.

And that someone else is?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 01:50:52 PM »
i have a friend who's sister goes to OSU...she mentioned that a friend of a friend saw the auburn  jet in corvalis.  Riley?

tifwiw
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 01:54:19 PM »
I agree that Malzahn > the other two.

Fuck Smart. Do Not Want. Overrated like everything that touches that school. And even if he's not overrated as a DC? It has no bearing on how he'll be as a HC. Have we learned nothing from the Chizik hire?

Malzahn at least won his conference (by a blowout in the championship, no less) in his first year as an actual HC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 01:56:21 PM »
By the way, it is being widely reported that Petrino has not been interviewed.

It is also being widely reported that we will hear who our new head coach will be on Wednesday.

These two things combined = JacobsFail.gif
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 01:58:26 PM »
Why? 

My answer would that he brings everything that you would want to the table with the exception Of HC experience. That's a pretty big exception I will grant thee. Otherwise, he's played and coached on a high level. He's been the right hand man of the "the man" considered the best in the business by many. If we don't get him, thuga prob does within next 5. I think he will be successful somewhere. We have (or had) a stellar defensive class that would likely stay together with a Smart hire, IMO.

Patterson higher on my list but I wouldn't mind Smart. I am getting to the point though that I just want a coach. I think it's Petrino or Gus.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

chinook

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 02:00:58 PM »
My answer would that he brings everything that you would want to the table with the exception Of HC experience. That's a pretty big exception I will grant thee. Otherwise, he's played and coached on a high level. He's been the right hand man of the "the man" considered the best in the business by many. If we don't get him, thuga prob does within next 5. I think he will be successful somewhere. We have (or had) a stellar defensive class that would likely stay together with a Smart hire, IMO.

Patterson higher on my list but I wouldn't mind Smart. I am getting to the point though that I just want a coach. I think it's Petrino or Gus.

i take everything back i said about you.  i agree. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions